• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
duncan (the other one)

VOR Leg 4 Melbourne to Honkers

Thread drift.  LED's again.  What kind of portable battery capacity would you need for, say, 1 hour consumption on these?

https://www.amazon.com/LEDMY-Flexible-certification-Waterproof-16-4Feet/dp/B00X7C4I9M/ref=sr_1_16?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1515948170&sr=1-16&keywords=Waterproof+Flexible+LED

3 minutes ago, Chasm said:

They already have a bum bag with safety gear. Most were wearing it together with the rest in the southern ocean.

As far as penalties go, if you want attention and results hit them where it matters, in the points. HARD.

Or a dockside fit out inspection before a leg starts. Give the teams plenty of warning what they'll be looking for.

An entire well funded all star team decked out in all black foulies? Fix it or you can't leave the dock.

Just now, Miffy said:

An entire well funded all star team decked out in all black foulies? Fix it or you can't leave the dock.

Not something Akzo has to worry about.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, rogerfal said:

Probably a product development opportunity for somebody.

The crew were all wearing a minimal amount of clothing due to the champagne conditions.

Sailracing doesn't make real foul gear.... but for these conditions all their products are really nice :) 

@southerncross don't really need a string of LEDs at low lumens. USCG has pretty good standards for  "Personal Flotation Device Lights" - bright enough to be seen a nm away, enough power for over a week for when it has become a recovery operation.

Quicksearch and ACR has more models than we'll ever care to review. https://www.acrartex.com/products#1128

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Thread drift.  LED's again.  What kind of portable battery capacity would you need for, say, 1 hour consumption on these?

https://www.amazon.com/LEDMY-Flexible-certification-Waterproof-16-4Feet/dp/B00X7C4I9M/ref=sr_1_16?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1515948170&sr=1-16&keywords=Waterproof+Flexible+LED

0.5 amp/hour for 12 W/24V

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Not something Akzo has to worry about.

Heh. It is funny how specific the rules were written re appropriate colours - some colours were specifically excluded and no one cares. :lol:

Vestas, Brunel, MAPFRE, TToP have the right idea. 

22 minutes ago, Miffy said:

"Personal Flotation Device Lights" - bright enough to be seen a nm away, enough power for over a week for when it has become a recovery operation.

True.  Thinking out loud, imagining surfing down 3 meter sea in a gale, pitch black and MOB, freezing water.  An LED suit would light up the sky.

Also, the colors etc can be changed.  Red light good for going forward and working the bow instead of a head lamp.

Curious idea to play with.

LEG 4: JANUARY 14. LATEST NEWS IN FROM SAM GREENFIELD - ON BOARD REPORTER

Update 1532 UTC – Have we had one?

When the new weather routing came in just minutes before the 1300 UTC position report I witnessed a first for this leg. 

He banged the table like a judge and let fly a single expletive, then buried his face in his hand and I knew he meant business. 

As it turned out, the weather routing showed that our Northern route wasn’t going to pan out, and as soon as possible we’d have to gybe south. As he explained the situation to Nico and Simeon it seemed as though our chances at a podium finish were dashed. We gybed almost immediately, and about two hours later I asked him, “To put it bluntly, have we had one?”

JS: “Oh not really. Well, yeah. We’re not. I don’t know… I don’t know what to say, really, the weather has changed in the last couple of forecasts telling us to get south, so our northern position is not going to work out as we thought, and we gybed over to consolidate. Scallywag is a long way ahead now, probably should have the race won from here. That would have worked out in the doldrums – while the rest were trying to get through the doldrums they cut the corner, so, good for them. We’re just battling away with Dongfeng who are 5nm away at the moment. Trying to catch them up. 

SG: So, in terms of managing expectations, for you personally, mentally, where were you at a couple of hours ago and where are you at now?

JS: “I figured there was a chance we might get, um, second or third. I was looking at the bearings and how the weather was going to pan out and now there’s a slight change favoring a dig to the south – more pressure in the south – which probably means we need to try to hang on to fourth place a bit more, rather than dreaming of something a bit better. We have made good gains by being in the north but not enough to consolidate, so we’ll have to take a couple transoms to try and put ourselves in the best place for the next three or four days.”

Why can’t the recovery of the MOB be seen on the tracker? :huh: 

Glad puppy and team are safe, could easily be totally different as we all know! 

Just now, Elisa said:

Because that's no fun.

1 minute ago, Elisa said:

Glad puppy and team are safe, could easily be totally different as we all know! 

The constant manpower needed to manually draw the track :lol::D

1 minute ago, southerncross said:

Because that's no fun.

You really think RC deleted it?

Just now, Elisa said:

Mentioned earlier- tracker updated every 6 minutes, so a 7 minute squiggle might not show, or would be too small to detect.

2 minutes ago, Elisa said:

Sorry.  I thought you were talking about my LED suit idea.

Someone earlier suggested that in a MOB racing/track halts and resumes when racing resumes?

Edit: Or what OG said.

2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Someone needs to have strong talking to if that stuff continues.

Hmmm,  Ttop dd it again:

v27.jpg.9f75b5f051301986934eaa9fbffe1e31.jpg

8 minutes ago, oceangeek said:

Mentioned earlier- tracker updated every 6 minutes, so a 7 minute squiggle might not show, or would be too small to detect.

Thanks, makes sense. 

Could be planned could be unplanned. Hard to tell - if you're trying to maximize VMG and get to spread out a quick gybe every 2 hours during a watch rotation, why not?

It is always scary when you get a message that a boat has lost somebody over the side, but it is a big relieve to hear that Scallywag was able to recover the person quickly. Nice that the water is warm and as well that it happened assumable during daylight, the odds are better is this kind of conditions.

We are finally sailing fast and making good milage towards the barn. Plenty of islands on the road to keep us on our toes. Last night we had to make a call to the east of a big atoll or dive to the south, to pass it to the west. This was 120 miles out, you can't wait until the last minute as you have to change your mode you are sailing. To the east we opted for, meaning that we had to change/peel to another headsail. Turn The Tide opted for going to the west, most likely they have to do two gybes. In the last position report, it didn't look bad, but let's wait how it looks in 24-48 hours. More "roadblocks" on the way.

At race headquarters, they must be sometimes wondering if we see this islands, especially after what happened in the last race to vestas. Like with what happened to scallywag a few days backs, did they make a call to them or did somebody saw onboard all of a sudden saw it on the map? Do you as race headquarters make a call and warn the boat or let it just happen, probably some nervous days for the duty officers in Alicante who always monitoring us 24/7. Good to know they are there.

Onboard all fine with everybody, but it gets very smelly and sticky downstairs now that all the hatches are closed. This way we keep the water out. Rather smelly, than bailing all the time:-)

Cheers,
Bouwe

Whoever writes the text for the photos in the Raw feed seems to have tracker knowledge that nobody else does:

Leg 4, Melbourne to Hong Kong, day 13. Azkonobel jumps back to first place as they fleet traverses the Federated States of Micronesia. Photo by Sam Greenfield/Volvo Ocean Race. 14 January, 2018.

For example:

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/raw/5745.html

8 minutes ago, southerncross said:

I think it's delayed.

Was Akzo in first place at some point today? Missed that.

Does anyone know if the time stamps on the raw images reflect when it was taken, uploaded, or what? Not that it matters, just curious.

r.e. jibe angles, they're playing the shifts off the islands rather deliberately if you watch DF's angles.  These guys work every advantage.

6 hours ago, Francis Vaughan said:

Given he has taken it down, perhaps those who quoted it could remove the quoted text as well.

You guys  think you can rewrite history?

The misguided part is that anything you say matters.

Bring on the thought police.

2 hours ago, Elisa said:

As soon as I saw the report I zoomed in on the SW track and could not see any record of the event.  The report said he was picked up 100m from where he went in.

Sorry guys, I might be grumpy early in the morning, before breakfast and coffee, but going through the posts of the last 8 hours is a kind of demoralizing, The shear ignorance of even some regular posters here on safety gear as related to MOB is just astonishing.

Really, too many questions and remarks have degraded to the level of Farcebook. Call me arrogant or whatever, but I am out of here for a while, can't stand it any longer. Have fun, or maybe better, get educated! 

15 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Sorry guys, I might be grumpy early in the morning, before breakfast and coffee, but going through the posts of the last 8 hours is a kind of demoralizing, The shear ignorance of even some regular posters here on safety gear as related to MOB is just astonishing.

Really, too many questions and remarks have degraded to the level of Farcebook. Call me arrogant or whatever, but I am out of here for a while, can't stand it any longer. Have fun, or maybe better, get educated! 

Tail of the dog.  You'll be fine.  

5 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Tail of the dog.  You'll be fine.  

Wind some striplights around your neck, fool...

Brewing some coffee now!

Personal beacons and 20 knot BS change the equations.  You'd certainly be totally incapacitated if dragging at that speed, likely severely damaged. and certainly unrecoverable until below 2 kntos BS.  If the tether doesn't keep you on board, it should fail before breaking you in half, like the climbers beaners. 

Can't fix stupid though.  But given the choice between smart and stupid, stupid is usually more interesting.

2 hours ago, southerncross said:

It is always scary when you get a message that a boat has lost somebody over the side, but it is a big relieve to hear that Scallywag was able to recover the person quickly. Nice that the water is warm and as well that it happened assumable during daylight, the odds are better is this kind of conditions.

We are finally sailing fast and making good milage towards the barn. Plenty of islands on the road to keep us on our toes. Last night we had to make a call to the east of a big atoll or dive to the south, to pass it to the west. This was 120 miles out, you can't wait until the last minute as you have to change your mode you are sailing. To the east we opted for, meaning that we had to change/peel to another headsail. Turn The Tide opted for going to the west, most likely they have to do two gybes. In the last position report, it didn't look bad, but let's wait how it looks in 24-48 hours. More "roadblocks" on the way.

At race headquarters, they must be sometimes wondering if we see this islands, especially after what happened in the last race to vestas. Like with what happened to scallywag a few days backs, did they make a call to them or did somebody saw onboard all of a sudden saw it on the map? Do you as race headquarters make a call and warn the boat or let it just happen, probably some nervous days for the duty officers in Alicante who always monitoring us 24/7. Good to know they are there.

Onboard all fine with everybody, but it gets very smelly and sticky downstairs now that all the hatches are closed. This way we keep the water out. Rather smelly, than bailing all the time:-)

Cheers,
Bouwe

Very interesting, is there more detail on this anywhere?

2 minutes ago, southerncross said:

No likey?

I posted that idea on Farcebook, and will be Twatting it as well.

The Philips Ski video was amazing though, thanks for that.

2 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

I posted that idea on Farcebook, and will be Twatting it as well.

The Philips Ski video was amazing though, thanks for that.

It's the future, Mr Gittes.

tron1.jpg

3 minutes ago, markhunter1097 said:

Very interesting, is there more detail on this anywhere?

No.  Just Bouwe's Blog post.

5 minutes ago, southerncross said:

No.  Just Bouwe's Blog post.

And Bouwe is a fool too, doesn't even know what Race Control does or not does.

And he is a loser too, and a hell of a nice guy as well.

Coffee doing good...

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Personal beacons and 20 knot BS change the equations.  You'd certainly be totally incapacitated if dragging at that speed, likely severely damaged. and certainly unrecoverable until below 2 kntos BS.  If the tether doesn't keep you on board, it should fail before breaking you in half, like the climbers beaners. 

Can't fix stupid though.  But given the choice between smart and stupid, stupid is usually more interesting.

yeh - clipped to outrigger may be sub optimal.. I think a halyard is the go -- if hit by a wave or lose your footing, then you just swing free and enter back at the transom :)

How many spares do they have when they're triple slotting ?

3 minutes ago, duncan (the other one) said:

yeh - clipped to outrigger may be sub optimal.. I think a halyard is the go -- if hit by a wave or lose your footing, then you just swing free and enter back at the transom :)

Dedicated man line...?

6 minutes ago, duncan (the other one) said:

Or clipped up towards the boom

9 minutes ago, PIL007 said:

Dedicated man line...?

6 minutes ago, ASP said:

Or clipped up towards the boom

Un-man line you mean?  Tie that halyard around their balls, and they will never go over the side, guaranteed.

And thanks ASP, but better clip the other end onto the helmsman balls, then he knows someone is losing it.

For the woman, I dunno, any ideas?

And now on a more positive note:

9 hours ago, Potter said:

You sir, need to fuck off. 

I prefer the more polished lingo of the Daily. Thanks mate, really excellent and informative, kudo's!

(and now I now where Potter comes from) :) 

54 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Un-man line you mean?  Tie that halyard around their balls, and they will never go over the side, guaranteed.

And thanks ASP, but better clip the other end onto the helmsman balls, then he knows someone is losing it.

For the woman, I dunno, any ideas?

cow-hitch onto nipple ring

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, duncan (the other one) said:

cow-hitch onto nipple ring

or Prince Albert....

penis-piercings-1498230264.jpg

Leg 4, Melbourne to Hong Kong, Day 13 onboard Turn the Tide on Plastic.

Walls of water hit the deck as we storm west making progress to Hong Kong.

Photo by Brian Carlin/Volvo Ocean Race. 14 January, 2018

Screen Shot 2018-01-14 at 11.05.56 PM.png

I just dialed up the weather and things are going to custard for those in the right lane and improving for Scallylucky. All the leverage and extra miles the Paintwagon in particular put in has been for nothing.

While there was a difference in forecasts to actual before and after the equator this will no longer be the case with the more stable air mass of a large high being the perpetrator. 

The finish order may even be set now by numbering off from the left, starting with Scallywag.

2 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Alright Grumpy

I don't know much about all that.. Strong coffee is appealing but....  UTC is lateish.

Interesting leg though - sailing through "paradise" right now.

Melbourne to Hong Kong - fantastic course for all it's different aspects and challenges along the way.

• Like 1

Another hour and a half to the next sched, but Scally setting up to kill it. More wind, better angle for a long time.

This would be great for the race!

Black boats, blue boats, red boats, yellow boats....

Witty and Libby, go dog, go!

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

I just dialed up the weather and things are going to custard for those in the right lane and improving for Scallylucky. All the leverage and extra miles the Paintwagon in particular put in has been for nothing.

While there was a difference in forecasts to actual before and after the equator this will no longer be the case with the more stable air mass of a large high being the perpetrator. The finish order may even be set now by numbering off from the left, starting with Scallywag.

Conrad agrees entirely with you, see the daily live, start at 4 min. if you don't want to see the MOB bit again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bcJN33rRzM

The Chinese HK God's really seem in charge in that area.

Bit of johnny guitar watson

"aint that a bitch"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sYUthjyTb8

Can just see witty gettin down.

• Like 1

Looks like we all got it wrong at first:

Yesterday: 0512 UT Tracker Update - @Vestas11thHour have had to make a costly gybe in order to avoid the Losap Atoll and loose 13 NM to leaders since the last report.

Just recently: @RaceExperts 1h   1Last 24 h have been very stressful for some navigators as these atolls provided intense decision making. Check in this picture how much you lose @DongfengRacing or gain @Vestas11thHour @volvooceanrace

It now looks like that SiFi/Vestas deliberately sailed low and jibed to go south of Losap Atoll and Truk, because they saw that weather situation developing. Well done indeed!

• Like 2

this is good if its the right time of day - Marcus Miller & Herbie Hancock more jazz leaning.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, onedesignracing said:

7 minutes from next sched...

Will be interesting to see if that weather situation developed, waiting...

Great scoop for Libby.

Wonder who made the call - How it works on Scally

Bro will thank her esp if they go all the way.

10 minutes ago, rogerfal said:

Great scoop for Libby.

I'd say Witty defers but holds accountable.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, damagesmith said:

Going to be one hell of a come back if Scally holds this one.

Yes, Scally did well. Funny that Akzo did best of the "other" three, though they are now suffering a bit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Looks like we all got it wrong at first 

It now looks like that SiFi/Vestas deliberately sailed low and jibed to go south of Losap Atoll and Truk, because they saw that weather situation developing. Well done indeed!

Nah. That gybe ended up being something that they had to do, just as the Dong and AzN did down the track (but longer) but where they all didn't know that at the time. 

The timing of new weather being available to them was well after that gybe/attol so I think a bit of Scallyluck went Vestas's way there.

They are not the only lucky ones, Xabi has pulled up around 30 mile from all that.

Alex would be getting shit if it had been 499.

Instead Witty will be telling him but for .7 of a mile he would be.

• Like 1

Not much of an Expert analysis:

0100UTC Position Report: Fast & wet towards Hong Kong. @scallywaghk have done 500 miles over the last 24 hours, extended on everyone and passed the 2000 miles to run.

And yes, we saw that...

nn

2 minutes ago, onedesignracing said:

Very few have experience in this convergence zone....  cutting the corner was not looking at he gribs. 

It was looking ahead in real time. Gutsy!

On the plus side of the decision process there was nothing to be lost.

• Like 1

They're giving it a good go - even if they don't hold off at least he won't be last and made a good show of it. 

Their TWA is going to suffer going forward tho - even if DF/Vestas are just 0.5 knot faster, 1300nm to Luzon strait - will be within striking distance.

6 minutes ago, Miffy said:

They're giving it a good go - even if they don't hold off at least he won't be last and made a good show of it. 

Their TWA is going to suffer going forward tho - even if DF/Vestas are just 0.5 knot faster, 1300nm to Luzon strait - will be within striking distance.

They will need to be 1kn faster to be level in 1300nm, (at 20kn SOG).

2 hours ago, onedesignracing said:

Another hour and a half to the next sched, but Scally setting up to kill it. More wind, better angle for a long time.

This would be great for the race!

Black boats, blue boats, red boats, yellow boats....

Witty and Libby, go dog, go!

4 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

They will need to be 1kn faster to be level in 1300nm, (at 20kn SOG).

Not likely. 

the boats to the north jibed to get south for a reason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rogerfal said:

Great scoop for Libby.

Bro will thank her esp if they go all the way.

I'd say Scally, being stone motherless,  had nothing to lose by taking that chance... what other option did they really have..? They were match racing from behind...

BTW.. I'm already reading the specublather by the keyboard yachties on how the rules should be amended at Honkers for not wearing PFD / tethers / PLB's and bumbags with jet packs to propel the crewman back to the boat or HQ depending on fuel capacity..... FAAAARRRK    Beer and popcorn at the ready..

PS... Randumb must going out of his tiny mind with Witt in the lead... 

• Like 9

Will be interesting if TSHKS are able to hold off the chasing pack as their BSP from previous race has shown they have not matched the other faster boats, maybe Wharro will make the difference?

Just now, DtM said:

more breeze.

Yes, much more breeze, better angle. 'My team is Vestas, but it looks like Scally takes the top spot on the podium. Good for the story, I suppose, given a large part of the entire race is money from those whereabouts...

Fun to watch a big gamble pay off...

6 minutes ago, PIL007 said:

had nothing to lose by taking that chance...

Totally agree

7 minutes ago, PIL007 said:

had nothing to lose by taking that chance... what other option did they really have..?

This after two or three attempts to catch the leaders only to be knocked back.

2 minutes ago, Chucky said:

Will be interesting if TSHKS are able to hold off the chasing pack as their BSP from previous race has shown they have not matched the other faster boats, maybe Wharro will make the difference?

Has it been BS or tactics? If you look at the start of this leg for EG they matched BS fine they just always seem to go off on their own. Witt always seems to do that. He would have won SH's by just staying it touch with leaders & sailing around them when they fuck up. When the 100' did the TP with WOXI they went way North & sailed many many more miles. When they both were nearing the finish the 100' was mowing WOXI down but too little too late. 

I think they suffer mainly from poor routing. Always seem to be in a slightly worse spot & having to point higher than the leaders etc. 

1 minute ago, southerncross said:

This after two or three attempts to catch the leaders only to be knocked back.

They could have floated north just like all the leaders and found a hole or found a lucky lane. Remember, most boats could see each other visually.