duncan (the other one)

VOR Leg 4 Melbourne to Honkers

TWD flipped the other way now for VS DF

Edit - and back

And at the back of the fleet, TTOP has gained 4 miles on Brunel in just the last hour.

2 minutes ago, rogerfal said:

TWD flipped the other way now for VS DF

Yes, those numbers are meaningless.

2 minutes ago, Varan said:

Yes, those numbers are meaningless.

snapshot I believe - yep need to collect them up then graph them or process..........

22 minutes ago, familysailor said:

Not using pro mode.

So it's possible what I discovered on the regular tracker drop down is intentional?

Hard to tell. Perhaps an oversight.

Given that stealth mode has no real meaning at the end of the day they sure put a lot of effort into it. 

I’m away from my computer so can’t access Pro mode.  How’s Scally doing?

Just now, southerncross said:

Are you guys paying attention?  Live footage!

Yes, that was cool. Thank you.

Edit: Funny how you can fast-forward live coverage. Are we looking at the future?

Just now, Varan said:

Yes, that was cool. Thank you.

From the drone too.  Still going.

Maybe they won't have to rely on the helicopters at the Strats so much anymore.

Drone is up, but at least we can't see Vestas on the horizon!

The scroll says "epic" view. That word is getting overused on this race. The view is nice, but far from epic.  Since its live, maybe they could push a guy overboard and we could watch a real-world MOB rescue. That would be more epic...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Monkey said:

I’m away from my computer so can’t access Pro mode.  How’s Scally doing?

about 33 in front

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, oceangeek said:

Drone is up, but at least we can't see Vestas on the horizon!

The scroll says "epic" view. That word is getting overused on this race. The view is nice, but far from epic...

I guess we're gonna have to dust off "Awesome" :huh:

• Like 2

Pretty cool though.

They say first time.  First time ever for a drone to shoot Live or first time in the VOR?

Check the timestamp of the "live" drone footage tweet. A few hours old at least.

Edit: Thought I saw it 2d ago on fb

4 minutes ago, familysailor said:

I guess we're gonna have to dust off "Awesome" :huh:

Going to China

VERY GOOD

2 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Pretty cool though.

They say first time.  First time ever for a drone to shoot Live or first time in the VOR?

First time in VOR. I Stream live to Facebook from my drone all the time. 

Can also stream to most of the social media/YouTube type sites. 

7 minutes ago, JoeBleaux said:

Jesus, Dong 3.5 faster and 11 degrees lower. Is Vestas missing a sail?

As Varan was saying to me watch the averages - They've taken a tadge in the last half hour 12.8 NM now.

I really feel for the hard working people in VOR HQ manually typing the position speed etc. from whatever source to the tracker every minute 

Prolly also manually removing stealthywags position. 

Such effort. 

7 minutes ago, k-f-u said:

Check the timestamp of the "live" drone footage tweet. A few hours old at least.

Edit: Thought I saw it 2d ago on fb

No wonder we couldn't see Vestas.  Ugh.

They've engaged the Dong Drive again- making gains on every boat in the fleet.

4 minutes ago, rogerfal said:

As Varan was saying to me watch the averages - They've taken a tadge in the last half hour 12.8 NM now.

Yep, Dong averaging higher. Slowly chopping that lead down. 

Just now, southerncross said:

Scally has 33 miles on Vestas.

That's holding over the last hour or more..

2 minutes ago, rogerfal said:

That's holding over the last hour or more..

Not sure if I am missing something but I don't think it is 33 miles and really really don't think it has been holding at 33 miles for the past hour as they are on opposite jibes. Just my $.02

Just now, fan said:

Not sure if I am missing something but I don't think it is 33 miles and really really don't think it has been holding at 33 miles for the past hour as they are on opposite jibes. Just my $.02

How do you figure they're on opposite gybes?

6 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Scally has 33 miles on Vestas.

In terms of the fat lady... Witty is the fat lady... and doesn't know how to sing. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fan said:

Been on the same gybe since about 20.00

1 minute ago, k-f-u said:

In terms of the fat lady... Witty is the fat lady... and doesn't know how to sing. 

Best thing he can do is hold his breath n send it without breaking ha-ha

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Pretty cool though.

20 minutes ago, Monkey said:

First time in VOR. I Stream live to Facebook from my drone all the time. 

Can also stream to most of the social media/YouTube type sites. 

They said first time  delivered LIVE over #FleetBroadband500

• Like 1

1 minute ago, southerncross said:

How do you figure they're on opposite gybes?

Looking at the 3D tracker on my phone. Thought maybe it was something weird but is showing every bodies elses moves in real time assuming the 1D tracker is live.  My assumption is what I am seeing also would apply to SK. I don't know maybe I am all F'ed up. 

That was awesome footage!

Snapshots, I know, but Vestas seeing 28kts wind, and Ttop seeing 30.

2 minutes ago, fan said:

Looking at the 3D tracker on my phone. Thought maybe it was something weird but is showing every bodies elses moves in real time assuming the 1D tracker is live.  My assumption is what I am seeing also would apply to SK. I don't know maybe I am all F'ed up. 

Toss that.  I think 3D is every six hours.  Follow here https://www.volvooceanrace.com/static/tracker/leg04_babylon.html

Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 12.26.55 AM.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fan said:

Current COGs Vestas: 283, Dong: 294, Skally: 297

Been similar courses for quite some time except when Vestas gybed then gybed back recently

58 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Image-1.jpg

It would have been fun. but the 18:53 "crossing" on 3d tracker is based on position SHKS had when they start stealth mode. 

so at this time they were about 2 hours in front of vestas

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ardel said:

It would have been fun. but the 18:53 "crossing" on 3d tracker is based on position SHKS had when they start stealth mode. 

so at this time they were about 2 hours in front of vestas

Exactement.

Ttop quickest of all over the last 6 hours, and continuing to chip away at Brunel...

While Dong is slightly faster than Vestas and Akzo.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Laurent said:

Donfeng 12.2 miles behind Vestas...

Go the Dong!!!

can someone please tell me why it seems that V11 has had a struggle for straight line speed.  Is that just me because I am rooting for them so hard, or is that a real thing?

6 minutes ago, Loose Cannon said:

can someone please tell me why it seems that V11 has had a struggle for straight line speed.  Is that just me because I am rooting for them so hard, or is that a real thing?

I don't think Vestas is struggling- I think Dong is excelling. 

Edit- maybe you're right- others have gained a mile +/- as well.

And then I look again, and they are back to 12.4.  Maybe its the live tracker driving us nuts with snapshots, when we are used to seeing averages.

18 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Well, that was fun while it lasted.

Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 1.18.14 AM.png

Do you think that this was a result of posts on this forum or just the tracker IT guys at VOR catching it? Just curious.

10 minutes ago, highcountryrider said:

Do you think that this was a result of posts on this forum or just the tracker IT guys at VOR catching it? Just curious.

Well. Like the Expedition data leak, plus another bug in the tracker that got blurted out in leg 2... the ITs job seems to get a lot easier when having access isn't sufficient, some ppl have to post the source (and usually not the one who found it). 

The expedition bug in particular allowed folks to follow the teams during the work up practice phase. Good data. Then poof. Gone within 12 hours after repost here. 

I think this idea of stealth mode preventing us from seeing the positions has just reached its use by date. 

It has totally wrecked the whole point of a live tracker - we can't see the single most important battle of the race, and have been reduced to a situation that is actually worse than the normal 6 hour updates.

We will find out the outcome well past any sort timeliness.  

:angry:

• Like 11

It will be hard now for DF to gain 12 Nm before arrival.
on average avg speed, they need to be 0.3 knots quicker than vestas till the end

We can expect few tactical decisions for DF at north of philipines to put pressure on Vestas, but with AIS, DF can't do many things.

They probably lost the race (I mean the 2nd place) at 01.14 01:30 UTC when they try to go norther to cover Akzo.
At this time we can say nobody could predict the change in forecast, but tactically (on overall race) it was more clever to cover Vestas & Mapfre going more south with more TWA.
6 hours before, separating from akzo course was a good choice, but definitively they changed their mind
(I hope Charles & Franck both agreed on this change, I remember different point of view were often an issue on Groupama)

Now, for other positions, I doubt things will change now, except the battle for the last position between Brunel and TTOP

Latest from navigator Simon Fisher onboard Vestas 11th Hour Racing:

The last couple of days have seen some good progress towards the finish, racing fast in the open ocean. It has all gone by in a bit of a blur if I’m honest, but not because of monotony or boredom. Quite the opposite in fact.

We have had to be focussed on speed, sailing the boat fast and efficiently without anyone else in view to measure ourselves against.  It is our invisible rivals, for each six hours between scheds at least that we have been trying to outrun but outsmart also. 

With each passing cloud and wind shift we have had to weigh up the pros and cons of gybing, giving up fast pace to the finish versus securing our position relative to our rivals and making sure we are in the strongest breeze possible. 

With Dongfeng hiding in stealth for the last 24 hours we have been missing a reference point to our nearest rivals but at least with their re-appearance in the latest position report we have had some confirmation we are on the right track.

Each hour spent sweating in the heat of the nav-station poring over grib files and satellite images seems to have been well spent until now. 

There lies a tricky couple of days ahead though. The path past the Philippines and into the South China Sea is open to a number of options and some important choices will have to be made.

We can easily see the fleet splitting which will no doubt lead to more tension as we close on the finish.

Cheers,

Si Fi

1 minute ago, Miffy said:

Well. Like the Expedition data leak, plus another bug in the tracker that got blurted out in leg 2... the ITs job seems to get a lot easier when having access isn't sufficient, some ppl have to post the source (and usually not the one who found it). 

Well get out the tar and feathers... I found this 19 hours ago and asked if anyone noticed? Was it normal?

Today I was asked where I was getting info about the stealth boats, so I spilled it. No waterboarding or other forms of  torture needed.

If it was such a big deal someone, anyone? could have PM'ed me to tell me to hide and whisper. Didn't happen.

So in the future is there some super secret handshake or series of nods and winks that I should know about so I can post in code on the dark net?

• Like 3

The Paintwagon may be looking to do a Balintang Chanel exit split as a last throw of the dice to get past the Dong and Vestas.

3 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

The Paintwagon may be looking to do a Balintang Chanel split as a last throw of the dice.

Seems like a good call. They have the distance on Mapfre as a buffer, and of all the boats in the fleet you would not be trying to grind down with boatspeed DF would have to top the list.

39 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Dongers gybed.

Kinda surprising. Only 200nm to the rocks, so it will have to be a pretty substantial wind difference (or current or sea state?) to justify extra miles at this point.

With Dong running away at negative VMG, Vestas should be off AIS and could go stealth...

Also, Ttop gained another 3 miles on Brunel in the last hour...

41 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Dongers gybed.

This is make or break... Dong like Scally before has to try this or join the procession which generally doesn't work... Big question now for Vestas is which way..? Where are the Scally's

How long till Scally shows..?

Bring it on.... best bit of racing since the Ice gate jibefest

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Francis Vaughan said:

I think this idea of stealth mode preventing us from seeing the positions has just reached its use by date. 

It has totally wrecked the whole point of a live tracker - we can't see the single most important battle of the race, and have been reduced to a situation that is actually worse than the normal 6 hour updates.

We will find out the outcome well past any sort timeliness.  

:angry:

May I repeat my idea?  If any boat is  in Stealth Mode, the fleet should be prohibited from receiving any position reports, as well as any shore-based communication. In that way, **WE** can continue to enjoy the race, and they can do their thing. As most boats tend to go into stealth at +/- similar times, it may not be such in imposition on them. Maybe? Or... just another stupid idea? 

• Like 1

Vestas a touch lower and a touch faster. Really hope they can stay in front of Dong, catching Skally would be nice, too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mdeh said:

If any boat is  in Stealth Mode, the fleet should be prohibited from receiving any position reports

Potentially no position reports for over 5 days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

The Paintwagon may be looking to do a Balintang Chanel exit split as a last throw of the dice to get past the Dong and Vestas.

Then out of the blue.

7 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Akzo in Stealth.

These two may be linked?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, PIL007 said:

How long till Scally shows..?

1300 UTC.

6 minutes ago, mdeh said:

May I repeat my idea?  If any boat is  in Stealth Mode, the fleet should be prohibited from receiving any position reports, as well as any shore-based communication. In that way, **WE** can continue to enjoy the race, and they can do their thing. As most boats tend to go into stealth at +/- similar times, it may not be such in imposition on them. Maybe? Or... just another stupid idea? 

I think the downside of this idea - whilst it does address the only (and very tenuous) objection to providing continued tracking to the fans, is that i provides a way for a boat to perform a denial of access to the fleet.  So rather than choose stealth mode as a tactic to avoid the fleet seeing them, they can use it as a mechanism to disrupt the entire fleet, and make tactical decisions relative any of the boats (not just themselves) impossible. You could end up with a situation where there are rolling stealth modes across the fleet that prevent the entire fleet knowing where any other boats are for a full week. 

I think the answer is for he VOR office to simply suck it up and either remove stealth mode altogether, or just roll with having the very unlikely chance that some sort of coded message could be relayed to the boats by their team. 

Sure you could have a coded message that went along the lines of "if your aunt has died, gybe now", but this gets silly. 

17 minutes ago, Francis Vaughan said:

I think the answer is for he VOR office to simply suck it up and either remove stealth mode altogether, or just roll with having the very unlikely chance that some sort of coded message could be relayed to the boats by their team.

I think every Stealth Mode made so far has resulted in a loss of miles. 

At this point, I doubt the other boats are too threatened by Stealth Mode. The nav's have enough info to gauge approximately where the SM boat might be.  At least it hasn't been a shocker yet.

So, no reason I can see to hide it.  Doesn't make the race more exciting to watch.  Otherwise, Live Tracker works for me.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Francis Vaughan said:

Sure you could have a coded message that went along the lines of "if your aunt has died, gybe now", but this gets silly. 

Very valid points indeed... and I concur.

As to your last point... perhaps no crew be allowed to have an aunt?  :wub:

Update from OBR Amory Ross onboard Vestas 11th Hour Racing:

Lat/Long: 18.070N / 126.219E
Wind: 27 kts
Air Temp: 28c
Sea Temp: 28c
Boatspeed: 26 kts
Heading: 288-degrees

Going to keep this quick because these are likely the last of our fast downwind conditions for this leg and the 700 miles left to Hong Kong, and I’d like to get on deck! I’ve done this enough times to try and appreciate these near-perfect mornings and even after an exhausting night of gybing to stay between Luzon and the chasing fleet, they’re not the ones you want to miss from lying in the bunk. 

A quick peek through the hatch shows sunny clear skies, 25 knots, and a beaming smile from Nick Dana, perched happily behind the wheel. He knows he gets a nice photo for his wall at home if I come up, so he waves enthusiastically…

With Dongfeng and AkzoNobel going into stealth mode overnight we officially went on the defensive, resigning for the moment that Scallywag is a little too far advanced. The weather files have consistently shown more wind from a better direction to the south, so we had to assume that’s where Dongfeng and Akzo went – even if it meant more miles sailed, if you wanted to create opportunities that’s where you’d go. So we somewhat blindly spent last night taking every shift south - maybe six gybes or so - I can’t be sure!

Our 1AM sked and the return of the stealth’ed was more or less what we expected. They did go south, and they also gained, 20 miles in Dongfeng’s case, but we are successfully positioned between those two and the Luzon peninsula, which limits further losses. It was a worthwhile sacrifice and it means from here to the South China Sea it’s all about speed, about keeping the boat going through the water well.

Exciting times though! The chase is definitely on and not far to go now. What a diverse, interesting leg this has been and it looks to stay that way through the very last day or two.

Amo

It is not only the wind that the #teamAkzoNpobel crew has to get right on the way into Hong Kong.

The Kuroshio current which runs at 3 knots around the top of the Philippines before flowing northwards towards Japan will be a major factor through the Luzon Strait

#volvooceanrace

Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 3.38.52 AM.png

41 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Update from OBR Amory Ross onboard Vestas 11th Hour Racing ...

Our 1AM sked and the return of the stealth’ed was more or less what we expected. They did go south, and they also gained, 20 miles in Dongfeng’s case, ...

But I recall you just saying 

think every Stealth Mode made so far has resulted in a loss of miles. 

Maybe all but one :)

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Varan said:

But I recall you just saying 

Maybe all but one :)

I saw that too, didn't want to upset southerncrossed, and then he gives you a likey!  :)

On 1/16/2018 at 9:45 AM, Miffy said:

Sorry wasn't trying to seem like I was jumping on you. I think DF is kitting dry suits from Mustang. The Mustang gear comes in black and also red. 

Musto officially sponsoring Brunel and TToP now. Bright yellow. 

I'm a little more sensitive on the inappropriate colors because I distinctly remember going into a store, finding foulies in Orange, red, yellow only. Then walking to the "women" sizing side and suddenly there's Hugo boss black. 

DF is definitely in Mustang Survival gear. Looks like their ocean racing EP gear.

1 hour ago, mdeh said:

Good idea.

1 hour ago, Francis Vaughan said:

I think the downside of this idea - whilst it does address the only (and very tenuous) objection to providing continued tracking to the fans, is that i provides a way for a boat to perform a denial of access to the fleet.  So rather than choose stealth mode as a tactic to avoid the fleet seeing them, they can use it as a mechanism to disrupt the entire fleet, and make tactical decisions relative any of the boats (not just themselves) impossible. You could end up with a situation where there are rolling stealth modes across the fleet that prevent the entire fleet knowing where any other boats are for a full week. 

Sorry for their loss... um, who's aunt?

15 minutes ago, familysailor said:

Sorry for their loss... um, who's aunt?

It's Francis' or mdeh's aunt with balls, the sister of their uncle with tits.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boomer said:

Looks like you have Babylon on your computer - I noticed this earlier this morning and then again now by the URL.

Image result for trick question

Some people see a trick and say, "Impossible!" - and forget about it ten minutes later. Other people ask how it worked. They go home, get into bed, toss and turn, wondering how it was done. It takes them a good night's sleep to forget all about it. And then there are the ones who stay awake, running through the trick again and again, looking for that skip in perception, the crack in the illusion that will explain how their eyes got duped; they're the kind who won't rest until they've mastered that little bit of mystery for themselves. The illusion of choice is the greatest trick ever performed.

• Like 1

I just dialed up the tracker and it  showed Scally and AkN for a about 5 seconds then they went black. They were all generally on the same line playing follow the leader after AkN  had put a gybe in post going stealth.

And Vestas keeps bleeding miles... What will happen after the Phillippines? Will the leaders extend? Fleet compression? none of the above?

I'm on a business trip and can't follow up