duncan (the other one)

VOR Leg 4 Melbourne to Honkers

24 minutes ago, paps49 said:

Sadly, no one much cares where the banana boat is.........

TTop might care....

Wake me up when all this STM business is over..,

17 minutes ago, silvestert said:

DF might soon be in front of VS11, hence lateral separation

I doubt.
there is 35 miles difference in their current direction. and 15 miles in lateral separation.
meaning if VS jybe now, there is still 20Nm difference.
before DF last double jybe, there was 12 NM

ofc, if you add lateral separation to DTF, DF seems close.
but, on their next gybe, Vestas will have a positive VMG now ...

The only chance is vestas is too confident and sleeping on the advance they see on 07:00 positions and think DF has about the same wind speed.
If they could see the positions and wind map, sure they will jybe right now to cover their position.
The more they wait, the better for DF

4 minutes ago, forss said:

Some AIS magic :)

Genius! 

Good for all the nervous wankers here..

Whew, all a bit breathless whilst we've been sleeping Europe... this live tracking sure does bring out the panic attacks! Am hoping that as long as VS11 can negotiate the next bit in front of the big red dong they will be ok. Maintain calm.....

21 minutes ago, forss said:

You got a 2 year old son Forss?  He's got talent, plse thank him very much!

23 minutes ago, Francis Vaughan said:

Oooh gosh!  I'm impressed.  Any clues? Given the VOR can't kill that one, what can we do with it?

A clue might be: Pay your subscription fee.

Looks like stealth is finally working as supposed on the tracker, and also blanks out historical data. Bummer.
Now it makes some sense for the top teams. If competitors won't get performance data for that 24h period, use it differently. Don't hide the boat, hide your high speed tricks a bit more.

That said stealth mode is a tool to create drama. As demonstrated in this thread the most drama is when you get some breadcrumbs to spark discussion. If there is nothing there is no reason to speculate that much. Saves a lot of time though! So thatnks for that. :) 

12 minutes ago, Chasm said:

A clue might be: Pay your subscription fee.

Yeah, this is probably the answer. I hadn't gone down this path because I saw no evidence there was anything to be had. 

4 minutes ago, Francis Vaughan said:

Yeah, this is probably the answer. I hadn't gone down this path because I saw no evidence there was anything to be had. 

Had some free api credits and combined it with reports. Not worth standalone.

Great race!

Play your cards TTOP & MAPF and then we can watch DF all on their own.

Genius!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, forss said:

Had some free api credits and combined it with reports. Not worth standalone.

Sounds fair.

Right now is the time to stick it to the VOR office - with only 3 boats visible on the proper racker (I'm I'm praying at least another might go SM just for the fun of it) the unofficial tracker could properly show up the idiocy of the official one. OK, its probably too hard for such a little gain, but the idea appeals.

• Like 2

Just now, Herman said:

Lack of ground AIS stations in the Philippines to receive the AIS signals I'm afraid. Just checked Marinetraffic, there is only 1 station on NW Luzon. But tracker gone live so who cares.

Not checked the tracker lately then? Looking awfully lonely out there.

Because I can is always good enough. *g*
Problem with satellite ais is the added delay (unless you happen to be an government) and pay per update.

Yesterday I thought about looking closer at the obfuscated tracker data. Find out if the track is there but just not drawn. Today the data has been purged and I have a lot more free time.

Daily Live has been cancelled today.

Nothing to talk about............

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rogerfal said:

Great news, no Daily and nothing on the tracker, so no need to get up in the middle of the night.

Oh wait, shit, Scally will be back, gone set the alarm clock now...

I never thought that watching nothing in stealth mode would be so exciting!

HUGE anticipation here in HKG to see if Scallywag can keep the lead going.  The race village is a hive of activity.   The last update, prior to going stealth, was for a Friday 2100 local arrival.  If it is, there will hopefully be a few boats out to greet them.

FYI - Tides are beneficial with ~0.5/1.0kt of favourable flood tide at that timeimage.thumb.png.91d59e5648741bad1ba0c7afc00aa147.png:

2 hours ago, silvestert said:

DF might soon be in front of VS11, hence lateral separation

Not what I saw on the 5 seconds of tracker before it went dark...there was fuck all lateral and a procession. 

Now it's a stealth picnic as they all pick their line into the Channel. Libby and Xabi will go dark shortly and the Dong is the only one in the race.

No point watching this shit. Might go have a sail..it's blowing around 40k here and I want to test my new SH reefing system...and no it's not single line nonsense.

19 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Oh wait, shit, Scally will be back, gone set the alarm clock now...

Don't bother the 5 seconds I saw she was streaking...their gone.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, rogerfal said:

What a joke. Someone told me Turner is prancing around in HK as if he is still running the show. 

Reminds me of a Sheltered Workshop.

23 minutes ago, rogerfal said:

Hope you are joking, because actually there is a lot to talk about. They should call all the stealth boats, and ask them how they are doing, speed, wind, position in relation to other visible ones, how they are feeling... etc.

13 minutes ago, Grinning Ape said:

I never thought that watching nothing in stealth mode would be so exciting!

I bet you do your own electrical work at home to liven up your day?

IMG_20180113_120615.jpg

5 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

What a joke. Someone told me Turner is prancing around in HK as if he is still running the show. 

Reminds me of a Sheltered Workshop.

Well nobody else is it seems! :ph34r:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Herman said:

Good point. I have tweeted @ VOR and RC at the end of the last leg begging to reconsider keeping the SM boats from the public.

That's strange because I asked the VOR the same question, and got straight away an answer from the two CEO's.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, mad said:

Well nobody else is it seems! :ph34r:

Madster I started a thread on the Imaginary VOR CEO Amigos  and gave up...this mob have done so well on a couple fronts like the off-boat stuff, some drone and imagery to die for, Daily Live etc...yet on other fronts, particularly  in terms of expert fan engagement they couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.

2 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Madster I started a thread on the Imaginary VOR CEO Amigos  and gave up...this mob have done so well on a couple fronts like the off-boat stuff, some drone and imagery to die for Daily Live etc...yet on other fronts in terms of expert fan engagement they couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.

Sorry about that Jack, i keep forgetting about that one.  Its just easier to respond in whichever thread is most active.

19 minutes ago, Herman said:

Good point. I have tweeted @ VOR and RC at the end of the last leg begging to reconsider keeping the SM boats from the public.

I posted on their FB page earlier, but got a simple message that said that my post would have to be reviewed by the page owner - which probably means the PFY that looks after it - rather than anyone who cares.

I guess a bit of bombarding of their various social media might get the message across - whether it makes any difference is another matter.

I feel very tempted to post forss's IS track on the FB page whilst they are live with the update. I would want forss to agree to this however.

12 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Some head suffering after going so far north for nothing.

Shit, that's funny. Well played and well filmed/edited too.

And since there is not much else to see and talk about, I'll  tell you a quick one, where someone did not pump the toilet properly. Didn't know who it was, so we called him the secret shitter. Then the secret shitter decided to pump the toilet really hard,  exploded the hose and he was revealed because he was full of shit. It was the navigator who didn't know you had to open the valve. Hid didn't now shit about navigation either, and liked alcohol too much, so we got rid of him.

7 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Shit, that's funny. Well played and well filmed/edited too.

Teapot being very Dutch..he is a hard man to warm too, but well worth preservering with me thinks. I have a feeling the Auckland leg with a lot of uphill is where this team comes out of the closet.

BTW Nicho wouldn't be there and in a non-skip role if he didn't respect the Teapot.

The all time best Volvo vid (apart from southern ocean) is when Groupama? I think, shot the video of them sailing the VO70 solo. They said everyone was downstairs for windage. He trims, runs off to grind, runs back to the wheel. Must have been very bored, someone is out of shot steering at the other wheel. But it was pretty funny. 

2 hours ago, forss said:

ais.png.28b3c9f20f5d791f60f01094365a0221.png

That is after the 5 seconds no blackout I saw..only bit that doesn't add up is tracker in those 5 seconds showed AzN behind the Dong and had done a kicker south.

Anyone here own a satellite company or work for the CIA?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Herman said:

I personally use option #4 occasionally. Have a nice swim around the boat.

Do you jump or your crew throw you off Herman when you are doing 20k...there is a message there :-)

2 minutes ago, Herman said:

boat captain

title may have been upgraded , job remains the same B)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

BTW Nicho wouldn't be there and in a non-skip role if he didn't respect the Teapot.

Exactly, anyone who thought that Nicho came along to take over from Simeon was dead wrong.

Nicho got Simeon for the last two legs of the previous edition, they knew and respect each other. And it shows, they work like a team and give each other  room  to shine.

3 minutes ago, Mid said:

title may have been upgraded , job remains the same B)

From BN to BC to BS...

• Like 1

The sporting world should take a leaf out of VOR's Fan Engagement Playbook...like between 20 minutes and 10 minutes before the end of the Superbowl they just turn the lights off..strutting up to the last hole at Augusta they drop the TV feed until the last putt...a Rugby Test at Twickenham..need I go on.

VOR, Mark Turner (supposedly gone but still shows up)..you fellows are at the cutting fuckin edge of sporting engagement..NOT.

Give yourself an uppercut you turnips.

• Like 3

Not a fan of stealth either,  but IIRC once the lead boat is within 200nm of the finish, no one can be in stealth anymore.

5 minutes ago, oceangeek said:

Not a fan of stealth either,  but IIRC once the lead boat is within 200nm of the finish, no one can be in stealth anymore.

Wow..you should stop kissing your sister.

Scally is back on the tracker- about 37nm ahead of Dong, both headed SW. Gotta wonder where Vestas is in that mix...

I actually fell sorry for Mark Turner having being at the fore front as CEO (now ex and clearly lingering) of a environmentally friendly VOR...be it plastics in oceans, energy sustainability, potable water for third world countries etc etc.

Pretty sad as the poor guy only first realised he was going bald when it started taking longer and longer for him to wash his face to front up and clean as a whistle at VOR pressers, all after using more than his share  of a valuable H2O resource.

Maybe a plethora of bad bald guy humour on this thread will succumb this fool into listening?

Yeah I'm bored.

31 minutes ago, oceangeek said:

25 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Wow..you should stop kissing your sister.

23 minutes ago, oceangeek said:

?????

images (48).jpeg

2 hours ago, mad said:

Sorry about that Jack, i keep forgetting about that one.  Its just easier to respond in whichever thread is most active.

Hard man to please..!

22 minutes ago, oceangeek said:

Scally is back on the tracker- about 37nm ahead of Dong, both headed SW. Gotta wonder where Vestas is in that mix...

Lead halved in 6 hours, is that about right?

2 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Lead halved in 6 hours, is that about right?

Nah...look at the laylines Scan.. the Witty & Wharro Show are trucking to RTW stardom.

Just now, jack_sparrow said:

Nah...look at the laylines Scan.. the Witty & Wharro Show are trucking to RTW stardom.

Only on the phone, just going off lead off 70-80nm lead before they went dark from memory. 

6 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Only on the phone, just going off lead off 70-80nm lead before they went dark from memory. 

Scan is your phone made of bakelite?

6 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

The downside for Witty & Wharro though being at sea is they wouldn't have been able to sell down their Bitcoin stash in advance of the recent crash.

v30.jpg.7acf7c54abe419b62df492a16cf5dc23.jpg

3 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Scan is your phone made of bakelite?

It's an iPhone 7 meaning 7 Chinese workers jumped to their death during its production.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

And yes, there is a Daily Live Show, on Facebook

What a load of useless shit that was...though the reveal of the new VOR CEO ..aka Chickenman was long overdue and appreciated I'm sure. 

unnamed (15).jpg

1 hour ago, oceangeek said:

Vestas was about 30nm in front of Dong before they went stealth I think, which means they're only 7 miles behind Scally. Maybe a bit more as they were more to the North, but close enough to be a threat.

Guessing Scally will jibe north over Babuyan Island to avoid the shadow behind, so expect Vestas is in the neighborhood and probably have each other on AIS?

Woke up early for this? Oh well. Scally still looking strong. DF seems to have lost miles when they gybed away while trailing V11 by 12 nm. Next bit looks a bit tricky. Is there much fishing activity (i.e. nets and shit) around those islands?

1 minute ago, Varan said:

Woke up early for this? Oh well. Scally still looking strong. DF seems to have lost miles when they gybed away while trailing V11 by 12 nm. Next bit looks a bit tricky. Is there much fishing activity (i.e. nets and shit) around those islands?

Strong currents seem to keep the passes clear, but the eddies around some of the islands can collect tons of stuff.

Sorry I forgot...Bindy just reminded me...Great Southern Land by Icehouse has just been voted at #4 in Australia's New Year Top 100 songs count. One of my favs.

A tribute to our Southern here, born there ...misses the place I'm sure and a great, great contributer to this thread.

And if you haven't been to this joint...it is a pretty fuckin good.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, forss said:

I wouldn't mind an update to find out how close Vestas really is ;-) I think they have a real chance to take this one.

4 minutes ago, Herman said:

According to Witty in the Daily Live show today, they would retain a lead of 1,5 hour on Vestas to HK.

That's if they follow the routing, apparently they haven't bothered for most of this leg according to the latest live.

24 minutes ago, mad said:

That's if they follow the routing, apparently they haven't bothered for most of this leg according to the latest live.

No, that was my take of that too, no mention of Libby or of any navigation stuff either :mellow:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Teapot being very Dutch..he is a hard man to warm too,

Salter seems like a cheerful chap.

The tactics of the passages will be interesting to watch, especially as the STM is engaged on half the fleet. 

How much of that is mind f*cking, how much is to mask choices with possible AIS ranging will be fascinating to watch. 

One wonders if the AIS Stealth mode (a Feature of the older Navico NAIS 400 ) will be engaged. 

S

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

A tribute to our Southern here, born there ...misses the place I'm sure and a great, great contributer to this thread.

I'm humbled.  Thank you.  Yes.  Home.  Not a moment goes by that I don't miss it.  (Born in Japan though). 

55 minutes ago, Elisa said:

No, that was my take of that too, no mention of Libby or of any navigation stuff either :mellow:

The Magenta project is posting about her on their Facebook :) no sense of irony there when they cheer for her and the team! 

On the other hand, i guess there’s ex SCA ladies on every team so they could cheer for any boat...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NORBowGirl said:

The Magenta project is posting about her on their Facebook :) no sense of irony there when they cheer for her and the team! 

On the other hand, i guess there’s ex SCA ladies on every team so they could cheer for any boat...

Or clamour for a rule 69 :ph34r:

;):P

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LionessRacing said:

How much of that is mind f*cking, how much is to mask choices with possible AIS ranging will be fascinating to watch. 

The leaders probably are within AIS range. Private party unfortunately, no (public) AIS coverage for us ... :

AIS.png.980b170197fdbdf5493c6e216acd5121.png

12 minutes ago, Geert said:

The leaders probably are within AIS range. Private party unfortunately, no (public) AIS coverage for us ... :

Perhaps not- leaders are currently in the red circle:

v31.jpg.585bceb39b19c23426e2138e4cdf0df0.jpg

Although the top 2 or 3 may be in range of each other.

Latest from MAPFRE skipper Xabi Fernández:

Hi there,

Another fantastic day of sailing, VMG downwind with 20+ knots of wind speed and very nice waves to catch, it is being good fun.

We keep doing easy miles towards HK and we are now less than 48 hours to go so we can see the light at the end of the tunnel, we have to say we are looking forward to get there. Sometimes we forget the intensity we are carrying and that we only stopped for a week in Melbourne and after these almost 20 days of leg we are willing to get there for a good rest.

It is plenty of action on the top of the fleet with Skally and Akzo going on stealth mode - we do bets to see where they will appear and they are having a good fight between Vestas and Dongfeng at the moment too.

We are sailing well, knowing we have very limited chances to get anyone but making sure we do our best so we can take any opportunity they may open to us.

Still hot as I wrote 2 days ago, but much better and sailing downwind makes our live easier.

Best regards
Xabi

Update from skipper Bouwe Bekking onboard Team Brunel:

We are ticking off the miles and it will be a battle with TTTOP. It will get interesting around the top of the Philippines. Do you go inshore or stay offshore? Close to the coast there will be an acceleration of the breeze and a favourable current, but lots of obstacles in the form of small islands and fishing boats, which means lots of gybing and we know it can be painful.  

Offshore: less breeze and less favourable current, but you get the wind shift first and you have a better angle for the approach going into HK. We will go in stealth mode for the next position report, but you can imagine TTTOP might go as well. One disadvantage we have is that TTTOP’s AIS is not working. We know that from the day we sailed close together, so we can't see them even when we are getting close during the night, unless we spot their nav. lights. But they most likely still can see us, so they can anticipated on our moves during the dark hours. For sure it will be getting interesting last 48 hours.

Cheers,

Bouwe.

28 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

Considering that Libby is a director for the project, and Scallywag turned around and realized the stupidity of going "light" - I wouldn't be surprised if Witty is asked to do a interview expanding on inclusivity over good old boys club. Probably will get friendly fire from an older generation of pioneers mad about something, the random English bloke who will 69 a BBC article. 

Funny thing about that AIS not working... 

from B&G NAIS 400 manual page 26 

Switch functions When connected to the AIS transceiver and by following the instructions in Step 4 and 5 under Installation procedures, chapter 3, an external switch provides the ability to set the AIS transceiver into ‘silent mode’. In silent mode, the transmission of your own vessel position ceases, whilst the reception of other vessels’ AIS position continues. You should use silent mode if you do not wish your vessel data to be received by other AIS devices. When silent mode is active, the blue indicator will be illuminated.

23 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Update from skipper Bouwe Bekking onboard Team Brunel:

We are ticking off the miles and it will be a battle with TTTOP. It will get interesting around the top of the Philippines. Do you go inshore or stay offshore? Close to the coast there will be an acceleration of the breeze and a favourable current, but lots of obstacles in the form of small islands and fishing boats, which means lots of gybing and we know it can be painful.  

Offshore: less breeze and less favourable current, but you get the wind shift first and you have a better angle for the approach going into HK. We will go in stealth mode for the next position report, but you can imagine TTTOP might go as well. One disadvantage we have is that TTTOP’s AIS is not working. We know that from the day we sailed close together, so we can't see them even when we are getting close during the night, unless we spot their nav. lights. But they most likely still can see us, so they can anticipated on our moves during the dark hours. For sure it will be getting interesting last 48 hours.

Cheers,

Bouwe.

I've never seen it, but I've heard grumblings in other events, particularly French scene where Adrena is the de facto standard that some boats seem to "disappear" at most convenient times.

Latest from navigator Libby Greenhalgh onboard Sun Hung Kai / Scallywag:

The mile bleeding gybe debate.
You are pointing at the finish and doing 17 knots your routing says gybe away there is more pressure and a better shift but you effectively need to go backwards to go forwards.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and if we had it at the time then we probably would have gybed at either 0100 or 0400 as the wind decreased even further and definitely at 0700 after the position report, but we don't have it and we didn't. So then we needed to manage a bad position as best we can. From comfort to stress the intensity changes people get short with each other as the frustration and realisation of the loss settles in, before readjusting to our new position.

Lets not forget we are still ahead and by our calculations, because now we have the added fun of the stealth guessing game, the chasing pack have to go 0.7KT quicker every hour to beat us at our current average speed, that is 5 % faster than us. That is quite a lot when you are in the same patch of water.

Roll on a rather high stress 24-36hours as we bite our nails to each position report and try to whiz to the finish ahead of them all. We may not be making it easy but I am sure it is fun to watch.

Libby at the nav desk.
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, southerncross said:

I wonder if TToP is aware?  They're in a dangerous area/shipping zone.

My exp in South China Sea is you're better off altering course anyway. :lol: Shipping moves like Chinese traffic. 

Anywhere else in the world, with the volume that passes thru the Taiwan strait and Luzon strait, we would have TSS. But alas the Chinese basically killed any chance of that happening with the aggressive island claiming/reclaiming/gunboat tactics since the 80s.