• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
duncan (the other one)

VOR Leg 4 Melbourne to Honkers

Funny thing about that AIS not working... 

from B&G NAIS 400 manual page 26 

Switch functions When connected to the AIS transceiver and by following the instructions in Step 4 and 5 under Installation procedures, chapter 3, an external switch provides the ability to set the AIS transceiver into ‘silent mode’. In silent mode, the transmission of your own vessel position ceases, whilst the reception of other vessels’ AIS position continues. You should use silent mode if you do not wish your vessel data to be received by other AIS devices. When silent mode is active, the blue indicator will be illuminated.

23 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Update from skipper Bouwe Bekking onboard Team Brunel:

We are ticking off the miles and it will be a battle with TTTOP. It will get interesting around the top of the Philippines. Do you go inshore or stay offshore? Close to the coast there will be an acceleration of the breeze and a favourable current, but lots of obstacles in the form of small islands and fishing boats, which means lots of gybing and we know it can be painful.  

Offshore: less breeze and less favourable current, but you get the wind shift first and you have a better angle for the approach going into HK. We will go in stealth mode for the next position report, but you can imagine TTTOP might go as well. One disadvantage we have is that TTTOP’s AIS is not working. We know that from the day we sailed close together, so we can't see them even when we are getting close during the night, unless we spot their nav. lights. But they most likely still can see us, so they can anticipated on our moves during the dark hours. For sure it will be getting interesting last 48 hours.

Cheers,

Bouwe.

I've never seen it, but I've heard grumblings in other events, particularly French scene where Adrena is the de facto standard that some boats seem to "disappear" at most convenient times.

Latest from navigator Libby Greenhalgh onboard Sun Hung Kai / Scallywag:

The mile bleeding gybe debate.
You are pointing at the finish and doing 17 knots your routing says gybe away there is more pressure and a better shift but you effectively need to go backwards to go forwards.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and if we had it at the time then we probably would have gybed at either 0100 or 0400 as the wind decreased even further and definitely at 0700 after the position report, but we don't have it and we didn't. So then we needed to manage a bad position as best we can. From comfort to stress the intensity changes people get short with each other as the frustration and realisation of the loss settles in, before readjusting to our new position.

Lets not forget we are still ahead and by our calculations, because now we have the added fun of the stealth guessing game, the chasing pack have to go 0.7KT quicker every hour to beat us at our current average speed, that is 5 % faster than us. That is quite a lot when you are in the same patch of water.

Roll on a rather high stress 24-36hours as we bite our nails to each position report and try to whiz to the finish ahead of them all. We may not be making it easy but I am sure it is fun to watch.

Libby at the nav desk.
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, southerncross said:

I wonder if TToP is aware?  They're in a dangerous area/shipping zone.

My exp in South China Sea is you're better off altering course anyway. :lol: Shipping moves like Chinese traffic. 

Anywhere else in the world, with the volume that passes thru the Taiwan strait and Luzon strait, we would have TSS. But alas the Chinese basically killed any chance of that happening with the aggressive island claiming/reclaiming/gunboat tactics since the 80s. 

44 minutes ago, Geert said:

The leaders probably are within AIS range. Private party unfortunately, no (public) AIS coverage for us ... :

AIS.png.980b170197fdbdf5493c6e216acd5121.png

The fleet is roughly to the north of Luzon, bottom right in your screenshot. Marinetraffic has only 1 AIS station there at the NW tip of Luzon, and I doubt it if any boat will appear.  Because they will probably have gybed back to the NW before they are in range. See my routing post above. Normally, they should pop-up about 10-15 nm out of HK. But as Witty enters the 200 nm zone to HK, al SM will go out of the window. 200 nm is roughly a bit to the right of that crescent moon island in the middle of your screenshot. 

• Like 2

Proof that "they" are reading perhaps.

Just looking at the tracker and note the term VMC is being used instead of vmg except they haven't yet changed the tabulated heading - work in progress but PROGRESS non the less.

Happy Pooh Day.

It's National Winnie the Pooh Day in England.  My Mother read it to me and I read it to my three kids.  

“Now then, Pooh," said Christopher Robin, "where's your boat?"
"I ought to say," explained Pooh as they walked down to the shore of the island, "that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends."
"Depends on what?"
"On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it.” 
― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

6ff60113b2c021fdc10316dc7e2d8d79.jpg

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, LionessRacing said:

Funny thing about that AIS not working... 

from B&G NAIS 400 manual page 26 

Switch functions When connected to the AIS transceiver and by following the instructions in Step 4 and 5 under Installation procedures, chapter 3, an external switch provides the ability to set the AIS transceiver into ‘silent mode’. In silent mode, the transmission of your own vessel position ceases, whilst the reception of other vessels’ AIS position continues. You should use silent mode if you do not wish your vessel data to be received by other AIS devices. When silent mode is active, the blue indicator will be illuminated.

If there is one skipper in the fleet who would not switch off their AIS, then Dee is it. The external switch is also not fitted on the 65s.

• Like 1

Just now, Potter said:

If there is one skipper in the fleet who would not switch off their AIS, then Dee is it. The external switch is also not fitted on the 65s.

Do you think RC has let them know? 

45 minutes ago, Herman said:

The fleet is roughly to the north of Luzon, bottom right in your screenshot. Marinetraffic has only 1 AIS station there at the NW tip of Luzon, and I doubt it if any boat will appear.  Because they will probably have gybed back to the NW before they are in range. See my routing post above. Normally, they should pop-up about 10-15 nm out of HK. But as Witty enters the 200 nm zone to HK, al SM will go out of the window. 200 nm is roughly a bit to the right of that crescent moon island in the middle of your screenshot. 

I meant the leaders are in range of each other. I didn’t build the map to demonstrate I don't know where the fleet is :-). Luzon station is not operational, so I didn't include it. 

1 minute ago, Potter said:

Not suggesting any nefarious actions, and there's no need for a switch, since you can configure it with proais2 via USB, or just have two wires (orange and green) bump together. 

From VOR website. Does this mean the RC is concerned that the measures they have in place are not water tight when it comes to monitoring communication to the boats and so preventing outside assistance?

Why can't we see boats that are in Stealth Mode?

Stealth Mode only works when teams truly disappear from view which means we don't get to keep hitting the re-fresh button to see where they are. But the reward is in seeing your team make a break for it, and waiting to see how it turns out.

5 minutes ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Yeah Hydro, Scally really nailed the approach, but somehow your chart is missing some data.  They went further north than that shows.

The track before the gybe to port is a straight line so clearly something missing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Yeah Hydro, Scally really nailed the approach, but somehow your chart is missing some data.  They went further north than that shows.

You are absolutely right, I refreshed my browser, and Scally's angle is a bit less magic! ;)

angle2.JPG

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chasm said:

A clue might be: Pay your subscription fee.

Looks like stealth is finally working as supposed on the tracker, and also blanks out historical data. Bummer.
Now it makes some sense for the top teams. If competitors won't get performance data for that 24h period, use it differently. Don't hide the boat, hide your high speed tricks a bit more.

That said stealth mode is a tool to create drama. As demonstrated in this thread the most drama is when you get some breadcrumbs to spark discussion. If there is nothing there is no reason to speculate that much. Saves a lot of time though! So thatnks for that. :) 

Don't confuse Drama in the audience with an angry mob...<_<

Update from skipper Dee Caffari onboard Turn the Tide on Plastic:

As we close the final stretches more and more of the fleet are going into stealth mode. The decision is when is the best time to have the greatest effect. I would imagine that in two positions report times there will be very few boats to track, as everyone fits it into the time between now and the 200 mile limit of stealth use. We all want to confuse our opposition of our track through the Luzon Straits.

We will be no different to the others and have already thought of when we will operate in stealth mode. In the meantime while we had the benefit of slightly more pressure to the south we have been pushing hard to maximise the effect of this and try and stretch out some space between us and Brunel. Only time will tell and that time is going pretty fast now. One more night at sea to go which in fairness equates to a lot more than one sleep when operating a watch system.

This leg has had its ups and downs and has been a true test of mental resilience and fortitude. My team have demonstrated such an impressive strength of character and of that I am extremely proud. We sailed ourselves into the lead, we have maintained that lead and then we have lost that lead and been fighting at the back. We have suffered at the hands of extreme heat, lack of wind and unfavourable clouds and shifts. 

We have tackled thunder and lightening squalls and conditions that have not been forecast. We have hit tree trunks, had fishing nets on our rudders and had some equipment issues but throughout all this we have tried to push at 100% the whole time without any sense of giving up at any stage.

Go Team TTTOP