duncan (the other one)

VOR Leg 4 Melbourne to Honkers

dumb/dumber

Over the years I have been pretty outspoken about the use of lifejackets and safety harnesses, and have received my fair share of grief from readers who have a different opinion. Basically I view it as a personal responsibility kind of thing. You know when you need either, or both, and it should be up to you to decide what’s best for you. I am, however, having to rethink things a little after the recent man overboard incident in the Volvo Ocean Race.

We are told that the sailors racing in the Volvo Ocean Race are among the very best in the world and they probably are, but if that’s the case how do you account for what happened aboard Team Sun Hung Kai/Scallywag. They were sailing in near perfect conditions, a steady breeze coming from aft of the beam, decent seas and heaps of sunshine. Crewmember Alex Gough was out on the outrigger presumably leading the headsail or spinnaker sheet. 

The outrigger, by the way, is a strut that juts out perpendicularly from the side of the boat there to provide a better sheeting angle for the headsails and spinnakers. They are on the leeward side of the boat, in other words fairly close to the water, and Gough was out there with neither a lifejacket or a safety harness. He had not even told the helmsman what he was doing and I guess the driver caught a nice wave, took off down it at speed, and in a split second the spray from the bow washed Gough into the water.

To the team’s credit they were able to recover him in around seven minutes and all agree that it was a pretty dumb thing to be doing, but can you imagine what might have happened had it been at night, in colder water, in the Southern Ocean? The chances of stopping a Volvo 65 running at full speed and turning around to go back into the some of those massive seas found down that way is close to impossible. Let alone finding someone who is likely to be in a trough a few waves over and completely out of sight.

But here is the thing. Most of us, me definitely, are too casual moving around a boat especially if the conditions are good. We get complacent and that’s when things can go wrong. The worst time is when the wind has dropped from 45 knots to 30 knots. After 45 knots, 30 feels like a walk in the park, but it’s not. We get complacent and make mistakes. I skimmed through the image galleries on the VOR website and noted that some of the crew were wearing lifejackets, but there were plenty where no one was wearing a lifejacket or harness and the conditions looked pretty gnarly.

This is not the first time a crewmember in the Volvo Ocean Race has been washed overboard. In the first race in 1973/74 there were three fatalities. Paul Waterhouse, Dominique Guillet and Bernie Hosking were all washed overboard and drowned. In the 89/90 Whitbread Race two sailors were washed overboard from the maxi-yacht Creightons Naturally. The boat was sailing in the Southern Ocean when Bart van den Dwey and Tony Phillips were swept overboard. The crew managed to locate van den Dwey. He was unconscious but alive and they were able to resuscitate him and he survived. Not so for Phillips who was found 15 minutes later but he had already succumbed from the cold. In 2006 Dutch sailor Hans Horrevoets, racing on ABN AMRO TWO, was washed overboard about 1,300 miles west of Land’s End. His body was recovered but Horrevoets was dead.

I am definitely not one to criticize and I can assure you I have done more than my fair share of dumb things on a boat, but let’s hope that a lesson has been learned not only by the VOR sailors, but all sailors. – Brian Hancock

http://sailinganarchy.com/2018/01/18/dumb-dumber/

Yes - He can't resist...

Oh maybe that's me...........

Stief!  You're back from that wretched vacation.  Did you raise the ransom or did you discombobulate them with ramblings about the race and make your escape?

5 minutes ago, stief said:

Yup. Probably this is the last edition where the public is faced with fake hidden news. By next time AIS should be even more accessible. (aside to FV, or anyone,, I'll chip in $50 if you want to play with a subscription)

Leading the rebellion!

1 minute ago, southerncross said:

Stief!  You're back from that wretched vacation.  Did you raise the ransom or did you discombobulate them with ramblings about the race and make your escape?

Not back--still a week of suffering to go, but timed breakfast with the good WIF to catch the finish :) Truly, this thread is the best way to follow the race thanks to all who contribute. Sorry I've been a leeching slacker (but not unappreciative), but will make it up when I can.

So good to read all the lurkers who broke and posted good stuff to the thread. 

• Like 3

With around 20nm to go, Scallywag will be arriving to HK very very soon! Stick around and we'll update you on their arrival!

What does this mean? No Live?

Is your quote newer Southern?

Timed at 13.46 UTC - 21/2 hours ago...

We will have full live coverage of the Leg finish in Hong Kong on www.volvooceanrace.com as well as the Volvo Ocean Race social media channels @volvooceanrace

2 minutes ago, rogerfal said:

Is your quote newer Southern?

Never mind.  It was a Scally Tweet.

Scallywaghk‏ @scallywaghk 39m39 minutes ago

Scallywag is showing up on MarineTraffic now.

scallyHKmt.jpg

Woo hoo They Did it....

What can’t Brian Hancock complain about?

Like many other sailors out there I have become a tad obsessed with the Volvo Ocean Race tracker especially at the start and finish of each leg. And I confess that in the last few days I have been keeping a close eye on the Hong Kong entry Team Sun Hung Kai/Scallywag. Some that read my stuff on a regular basis will know that I am not a big fan of David Witt, the skipper, although I have never met him and he may indeed be a great guy in person.

I took exception to his comments about having women on board. He was originally against it not wanting to, as he put it, “participate in some kind of social experiment.” He has since had a change of heart and now there are two female sailors racing on board the good ship Scallywag. Annemieke Bes who has been there since the start, and more recently Libby Greenhalgh who replaced Steve Hayle as navigator.

So it was with mixed emotions that I watched Team Sun Hung Kai/Scallywag take line honors on the third leg into Hong Kong. There are, however, two things that I am happy about. I am happy that the local team won the leg that finished in their home port. It’s brutally hard to get sponsorship for an entry in the Volvo Ocean Race and I am sure that the people of Hong Kong will be more than chuffed that their local team was first across the line. I am also happy that the navigator was a female. Libby Greenhalgh is a very experienced sailor and I feel certain that their win was in no small part due to her experience and input.

Having said all that I hate to say what I am going to say next, but their win was pure dumb luck. The Scallywag crew were trailing the fleet for most of the leg. Maybe that was their strategy, but I doubt it. Being so far behind as the front runners approached the doldrums was a very nice gift. They were able to see the leaders sail into a hole, a total windless zone, and they sailed around all the other boats that were drifting aimlessly in circles. It must have been hell on board the leading boats to see the last place boat (by far) tack off in a different direction and do an end-run around the whole fleet.

But that’s sailing isn’t it? When sailing downwind the boats from behind bring the new breeze with them and the gap closes. Same goes for sailing upwind. The leading boats get into the new breeze first and leg out. We have all dealt with these kind of fluctuations, but seriously, have you ever seen the dead last boat catapult into first place in such a spectacular way? You can’t take anything away from them either. They played the cards that they were dealt and played them masterfully. I just hope that Mr. Witt gives his navigator credit where credit is due and does not grab all the attention for himself.

– Brian Hancock

•  

January 19th, 2018

am I missing something here!!!!

let's hope it doesn't kiss of death the win

Scally 6 miles out with 13 knots of wind, and no word from the Experts? No live nothing?

Just now, oceangeek said:

Scally 6 miles out with 13 knots of wind, and no word from the Experts? No live nothing?

Typical.

5 minutes ago, ghotio said:

Woo hoo They Did it....

am I missing something here!!!!

let's hope it doesn't kiss of death the win

What in the fuck....they haven't finished yet....

1 hour ago, Geert said:

Yes it's dropping when they approach the runway, but according to the VOR tracker it should have dropped already an hour ago. TWS on Scally is still showing double the speed. Windy.com is also a forecast but shows more accurate numbers.

And of course, just now TWS on Sally drops considerably...

Well - still better than forecast - thumbs up.

5 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

What in the fuck....they haven't finished yet....

You know the guy's a cretin.

Just now, southerncross said:

You know the guy's a creaton.

But he can probably spell "cretin" ;)

Just now, oceangeek said:

Live when 1/2 hour out. Now, I guess.

8 minutes ago, Weyalan said:

But he can probably spell "cretin" ;)

Take it up with spell check.

Dong still consistently slower that V11, that's troublesome for DFRT fans. Doesn't match the weather models.

Imagine if live coverage was on YouTube and you needed to work thru a VPN to broadcast thru a firewall. :lol:

1 minute ago, southerncross said:

Take it up with spell check.

"Creaton is a village and civil parish in the Daventry district of the shire county of Northamptonshire, England."

Interesting spell-checker you have there. :)

About as far away from the sea as you can get in England - very boring..

Spell checking is okay, what I hate is the auto-infect where it takes the liberty to change what you type.

Now back to watching LIVE tracker.

Looks like a RIB is just heading out to greet them. Also, SV Boom on intercept course.

Live on VOR site. Great quote from Niall re SHKS comeback: "...at times it looked like they were absolutely nailed to the cross."

10 minutes ago, tallyho said:

talking heads and canned replays...

Talking head talking shit -  well one of them..

3 minutes ago, familysailor said:

Not seeing it...

The live video briefly showed them 90 degrees off and doing like 3 knots- guess it was a crash?

.v35.jpg.486edfa5101955d9f9a0cd2604453f5b.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, oceangeek said:

The live video briefly showed them 90 degrees to starboard and doing like 3 knots. Live tracker didn't pick it up.

Screen Shot 2018-01-19 at 5.21.03 PM.png

• Like 1

Geez Dong is gaining on Vestas fast.  It'll be interesting to see if Vestas hit a local hole that Dong can miss or if it's a wall that Dong can't avoid

• Like 1

Am I the only one who thinks it is a very bad idea to end a long leg in an ocean race, far up a river/narrow bay with no wind but lots of current?

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, ModernViking said:

Am I the only one who thinks it is a very bad idea to end a long leg in an ocean race, far up a river with no wind but lots of current?

No. I've said that from beginning.  Drift fests make no sense.  At least Scally is well practiced with their dredging.

Just now, ModernViking said:

Am I the only one who thinks it is a very bad idea to end a long leg in an ocean race, far up a river with no wind but lots of current?

Nope. But I guess some ppl like the excitement - I don't think dockside grounding or becalmed drift in Lisbon added much value. 

Can't imagine anyone who sails offshore saying yes this is how I'd like things to end. 

• Like 2

How does the RC and commentators not see this (Vestas)?

What's going on with Vestas?

COG 173!!!!

10 minutes ago, ModernViking said:

Am I the only one who thinks it is a very bad idea to end a long leg in an ocean race, far up a river/narrow bay with no wind but lots of current?

No 'lots of current' for the moment, already discussed before.

5 minutes ago, ModernViking said:

Without finishes close to shore it becomes even harder to convince potential sponsors as ROI is reduced if finish is out of sight of land

Sponsorship 101 - sponsors need ROI

SS

4 minutes ago, oceangeek said:

Vestas????   MOB????

Has to be either that or an ugly chinese jibe but probably not likely given the wind angles they were sailing.

WTF?

Can't understand why LIVE hasn't picked up on it or aren't mentioning it?

Dong is closing on them at speed. Is that not worth commentating on?

Just now, Kenny Dumas said:

Seems unlikely it's MOB, they'd be going faster, not 2.1 

Not backing either.  No net.

5 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Without finishes close to shore it becomes even harder to convince potential sponsors as ROI is reduced if finish is out of sight of land

Sponsorship 101 - sponsors need ROI

SS

What might be a compromise is for formal final positioning to be set at an offshore point, with sailing requirement for boats to arrive at photofinish with sails up. 

• Like 3

Just now, Kenny Dumas said:

Not if they are searching for someone on MOB spot or picking him up

made a comment on the live feed but my comment "is in moderation"... meaning they will not see it!

1 minute ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Not if they're searching in the dark