duncan (the other one)

VOR Leg 4 Melbourne to Honkers

From race blog...

"A good clean start for the fleet in the narrow channel and now time to settle back into life on board."

So why did DF spin? Who writes this shit?

• Like 3

Helo should be back live soon. Good narrow channel for it to get all the boats in 1 shot.

Leg 4, Melbourne to Hong Kong, day 1 Setting uo for the start on board Sun Hung Kai/Scallywag. Photo by Konrad Frost/Volvo Ocean Race. 02 January, 2018.

Screen Shot 2018-01-02 at 6.44.20 AM.png

Just now, Miffy said:

Helo should be back live soon. Good narrow channel for it to get all the boats in 1 shot.

The VOR Banner says 17:45 when the fleet "exits" the Bay, so I wonder if we will be waiting an hour or so?

1 minute ago, Varan said:

whatthe.thumb.jpg.92c445387c9f60cb05287f8ef16009c5.jpg

??? Curious waypoint for determining leg rankings.

To Hong Kong?

4 minutes ago, mdeh said:

The VOR Banner says 17:45 when the fleet "exits" the Bay, so I wonder if we will be waiting an hour or so?

It is already past 1745 Melbourne, 0645 UTC.

1 minute ago, Varan said:

Doesn't explain this..

exhibitb.thumb.jpg.acd7651b79f86156b903a4ff6b41d5a3.jpg

Yeh... you are correct... as I think about it a little more. 

4 minutes ago, mdeh said:

This **would** be so good to see!!!!

Screen Shot 2018-01-01 at 10.51.31 PM.png

it'd be nice to be having some beers out on the tip of that spit.

What a fucking shit show... 

Will they replay the entire race waiting for them to get to the heads? 

• Like 1

Tucker just called that Dongfeng was OCS. Explains the turn and restart around the pin

4 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Took the family out and got a few shots at the start..

tumblr_p1x1ws4jYE1qfrdcro5_1280.jpg

tumblr_p1x1ws4jYE1qfrdcro7_1280.jpg

tumblr_p1x1ws4jYE1qfrdcro8_1280.jpg

tumblr_p1x21boA8h1qfrdcro4_1280.jpg

tumblr_p1x21boA8h1qfrdcro6_1280.jpg

tumblr_p1x21boA8h1qfrdcro9_1280.jpg

tumblr_p1x21boA8h1qfrdcro1_1280.jpg

tumblr_p1x25b18a71qfrdcro3_1280.jpg

tumblr_p1x25b18a71qfrdcro4_1280.jpg

tumblr_p1x25b18a71qfrdcro1_1280.jpg

Thanks mate. Better than sitting behind a keyboard and moaning like some!

Judging by some of his comments during the start I'd take any comments from him with a pinch of salt.

7 minutes ago, angles said:

Thanks mate. Better than sitting behind a keyboard and moaning like some!

Don't quote all those pictures, idiot !

VOR has a large comms team in Melbourne... has the coverage improved? (can't watch. Heading to the slopes...)

26165861_10155079536871630_3152690016900194670_n.jpg

14 minutes ago, angles said:

I rest my case.

If you highlight the text you can quote without all the pix.  FYI

• Like 1

Zoom in on the crew. Did someone just ask them to put their hand up if they are going to win? 

Chopper too close?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 3to1 said:

local knowledge is probably overrated at this level.

go dongs

Weird thing is SW BS was fine. Witt said they are ranked top team that hasn't done a lap on VOR65. BS wasn't the problem. 

Hoppy, those photos are as good as any coming from the OBR's.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Weird thing is SW BS was fine. Witt said they are ranked top team that hasn't done a lap on VOR65. BS wasn't the problem. 

I don't follow.

May I ask a question of the experienced off-shorers!

During the broadcast just ended, Bianca spoke about gybing in the southern ocean... and the importance of picking the "right wave" to gybe on.

Which begs the question... what is a "right wave" vs a "wrong wave" to gybe on. Other than the obvious....I guess.. if you break your mast , it was the "wrong wave" :o

• Like 1

the right wave would be an 'easy' surf and would be conducive to completing the jibe properly.

1 minute ago, 3to1 said:

don't follow.

Witt say the other teams have years of data in tuning to get the last 5% boat speed which is why they are down. Scallywag looked to have fine boat speed in the bay they just went a different way & start wasn't great either compared the other boats. 

Great video rounding the heads. Very dramatic.

Screen Shot 2018-01-02 at 8.31.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-02 at 8.34.56 PM.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Witt say the other teams have years of data in tuning to get the last 5% boat speed which is why they are down. Scallywag looked to have fine boat speed in the bay they just went a different way & start wasn't great either compared the other boats. 

thus my original point.

• Like 1

The last time we international social media sailing video fans saw this part of the world was the 2015(?) Moth worlds just on the inside at Sorrento. Featuring massive wind against tide and all round tough conditions. And Clean and Sailor Girl on the mics. That wind and tide doesn't disappoint. 

6 minutes ago, mdeh said:

During the broadcast just ended, Bianca spoke about gybing in the southern ocean... and the importance of picking the "right wave" to gybe on.

Which begs the question... what is a "right wave" vs a "wrong wave" to gybe on. Other than the obvious....I guess.. if you break your mast , it was the "wrong wave" :o

Donno if this is what you're asking but a good wave is a big fast one. The reason you'd jibe on a wave is because, if you're surfing on it, it reduces the strain on the rig when the sails crash over. A good wave would be one that gets you going really fast. 

Altogether rather impressive coverage, methinks. If only they would communicate this a little better, then there would be no complaints at all.

And Tucker Thompson also did a very decent job, I must say. Not way over the top as in the AC, quite knowledgeable, and certainly very professional!

Thanks VOR !

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, mdeh said:

Nice constant speed on a wave is nice. Not going gangbusters(30+) or slow either(below15). Enough speed that the boat stays relatively unloaded throughout the gybe(especially when the main comes across).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mdeh said:

During the broadcast just finished, Bianca spoke about gybing in the southern ocean... and the importance of picking the "right wave" to gybe on.

Average club hack here:

If you can surf down a wave in the gybe it takes a lot of pressure off the gear. 

She's probably referencing Akzo's bad gybe last leg. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, webdeveloper said:

Donno if this is what you're asking but a good wave is a big fast one. The reason you'd jibe on a wave is because, if you're surfing on it, it reduces the strain on the rig when the sails crash over. A good wave would be one that gets you going really fast. 

OK... I see what you are saying. So, you want something that will be fast AND predictable, in the sense that the boat will accelerate but not suddenly slow. So, avoid steep and short.... I guess?

5 minutes ago, 3to1 said:

thus my original point.

Agree - Local knowledge Probably made it worse!

12 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Midnight here.  Night all.

And thank you for all those pics and comments, sleep well !

• Like 2

Tucker is very good, he keeps it flowing and doesn't analyse every turn of every winch like some others. 

34 minutes ago, hoppy said:

A couple more..

22 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Hoppy, those photos are as good as any coming from the OBR's.

It's not for nothing that Hoppy's interests are "Sailing, photography".
Well done and thanks mate!

• Like 1

P to P started today and they won't get the southerly until tomorrow after sunrise. What are the chances of the VOR fleet ripping past at Byron? Or will they go wide? 

And already we are seeing how much better Mapfre and Dongfeng are compared to the others. Cant wait ti see if Dongfeng can hunt down Mapfre and gain some revenge on the last leg. Brunel with the so called experience isn't in the same league and I wonder what the reasons are? We saw Dongfeng put e reef in earlier than the rest of the fleet and they have gained. Just shows there are plenty of judgement calls the teams can make to make gains. This will be a fascinating race for sure.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hoppy said:

Took the family out and got a few shots at the start..

tumblr_p1x1ws4jYE1qfrdcro5_1280.jpg

tumblr_p1x1ws4jYE1qfrdcro7_1280.jpg

tumblr_p1x1ws4jYE1qfrdcro8_1280.jpg

tumblr_p1x21boA8h1qfrdcro4_1280.jpg

tumblr_p1x21boA8h1qfrdcro6_1280.jpg

tumblr_p1x21boA8h1qfrdcro9_1280.jpg

tumblr_p1x21boA8h1qfrdcro1_1280.jpg

tumblr_p1x25b18a71qfrdcro3_1280.jpg

tumblr_p1x25b18a71qfrdcro4_1280.jpg

tumblr_p1x25b18a71qfrdcro1_1280.jpg

Some great shots Hoppy, thanks, almost as good as being there

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Some great shots Hoppy, thanks, almost as good as being there

2 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Don't quote all those pictures, idiot Shang!

2 hours ago, southerncross said:

If you highlight the text you can quote without all the pix.  FYI

FYI

• Like 2

Does anyone know what the thought process is with the two exclusion zones? 

Putting the fleet south of the prom puts them in the the shipping channel.

I assume the second one is simply to comply with the exclusion zone around the rigs? Not that many other yachts take any notice. 

2 hours ago, terrafirma said:

And already we are seeing how much better Mapfre and Dongfeng are compared to the others. Cant wait ti see if Dongfeng can hunt down Mapfre and gain some revenge on the last leg. Brunel with the so called experience isn't in the same league and I wonder what the reasons are? We saw Dongfeng put e reef in earlier than the rest of the fleet and they have gained. Just shows there are plenty of judgement calls the teams can make to make gains. This will be a fascinating race for sure.

the long duration battles that will surely come between dong and mapfre over the course of this edition will probably produce some of the tightest, most hyper-competitive racing that's possible, in any sport. no let up.

I will be watching for a noticeable improvement from TTOP.

Brian Thompson must be one of the worlds best ever ocean racing sailors.

7 minutes ago, staysail said:

I will be watching for a noticebeable improvement from TTOP.

Brian Thompson must be one of the worlds best ever ocean racing sailors.

Maybe already be seeing it? They seem to have gapped SW a bit. 

• Like 1

They are giving the Prom a wide berth. Vestas has hung on quite well. They will have so many options looking at whats ahead.

387_IMAGE3.jpg

1 hour ago, bowman81 said:

Does anyone know what the thought process is with the two exclusion zones? 

To keep them out of the Prom Inshore Traffic Zone and the next one the outer oil rigs.

5 minutes ago, Vitamin C said:

They are giving the Prom a wide berth. Vestas has hung on quite well. They will have so many options looking at whats ahead.

387_IMAGE3.jpg

The Solomon Is may have something to say about being ignored and I didn't see anyone stowing any rocket launchers onboard for the Sulu Sea, you might need to rejig your routing skills.

• Like 1

So where is the Daily live? Currently 15 min late, and just started showing old rehash...

5 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Great video rounding the heads. Very dramatic.

Is there a replay link somewhare?

Did the American teams have to sit this race out for fear of being captured by the Chinese in the South China Sea or being Nuked by North Korea on the way past? 

Not related to this leg but figured i would post here since this thread is  seeing all the action right now.

First do the boats even use them or are they just a backup energy source?

Do some boats use them more than others?

IF they do use them about what  percentage of energy pie do the hydro generators create for the boats?  

1 hour ago, SCANAS said:

Did the American teams have to sit this race out for fear of being captured by the Chinese in the South China Sea or being Nuked by North Korea on the way past? 

It might be time to sober up. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Varan said:

After watching they replay, you may be correct. After the tack, they were clear, but pinned so if OCS they would spin around the pin to restart. Never saw code x or heard a sound, so may have been a foul. SIs must have changed two spins to one if that's the case.

I just missed the start (flaky Chinese internet) so downloaded the start and watched the action again. I also managed to find a different camera angle someone had recorded and put on YouTube. I think you are right Varan, DFRT appeared to have a Woxi moment as in the main video you can see Akzo heading up and the other video you can see Akzo returning down to close hauled. Perphas the WOXI - Comanche case was in everyone's mind (I am sure they all watched it) or perhaps Caudrelier was just taking no chances.

One thing I did notice was how close DFRT and Mapfre were to the start at the gun then it struck me - and see the attached screenshot. If  - and cameras do lie - if Mapfre is bang on the line at the gun and the rules states all parts of the hull, crew and equipment must be on the non-course side what about the several metres of keel that was to windward if canted in the normal position. (As an aside, as Mapfre tacks at T-40 she comes MORE than upright so I would suggest the keel was indeed canted) and if the screenshot is accurate then part of the 'equipment' could have been OCS.

Not saying she definitely is or not and certainly not blaming anyone and too late to do anything about it anyway.

Additionally, I am NOT saying, I am JUST asking.

To me, just an interesting point and a further challenge for race officers when sighting a line with canting keel boats on it, especially when the run the line like Mapfre did.

Either way, it must have been bloody close :-)

Cheers

SS

Over or not.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robalex117 said:

First do the boats even use them or are they just a backup energy source?

Teams are required to use the hydrogenerator for a minimum amount of hours per leg. Nobody uses them more because drag.
AFAIK we only know the number for leg two, which was IIRC 21 hours. Lets call it one hour for each day of projected leg duration. - Quite irrelevant.

If you want to make an impact you have to force the teams to us them more and the fastest way is to change the scoring. Find out how much diesel each boat used, rank them and give points based on it. Needs to be something significant but not too big. Hmm.
I'd call it the eco challenge, same scoring system as the legs, using 1/11 points and 1 full bonus point overall for the winner. Basically another leg. With so many fractions the need for a tie breaker is greatly reduced. As a result I'd put more emphasis in port series again by changing its scoring to the same system. 1/[number of in port races] points each race + 1 point to the overall winner

11 ocean legs some of them double scored for a total of 15(?), 1 eco leg, 1 in port leg. A few bonus points for some stuff. All in one unified scoring table.
Not too bad. If there is still tie? Bonus match race after the last finish! - It's a sailing event isn't it. ;) 

[Yes, its slightly more complicated, for instance teams would be tempted to reduce power consumption by doing less media.]

• Like 1