duncan (the other one)

VOR Leg 4 Melbourne to Honkers

When I left for a symphony concert downtown the race had just started in slow mo. .As I was parking I heard Andy answer a commenters question and say they couldn't film the whole race because there were communication problems with the other side of the island, which I found hard to believe. Mapre had caught some wind and was way ahead. As I entered the hall Dongfeng had caught it as well.  3 1/2 hours later I came outside, checked my iPhone VOR app and saw AzkoNobel headed towards the finish with Brunel tagging along behind. Listened on the way home as Swag and TTOP rolled home. Not a word was said about the first two finishers. I just learned from this forum that there finishes was not even filmed. 

14 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

When I left for a symphony concert downtown the race had just started in slow mo. .As I was parking I heard Andy answer a commenters question and say they couldn't film the whole race because there were communication problems with the other side of the island, which I found hard to believe. Mapre had caught some wind and was way ahead. As I entered the hall Dongfeng had caught it as well.  3 1/2 hours later I came outside, checked my iPhone VOR app and saw AzkoNobel headed towards the finish with Brunel tagging along behind. Listened on the way home as Swag and TTOP rolled home. Not a word was said about the first two finishers. I just learned from this forum that there finishes was not even filmed. 

You weren't paying attention.

• Downvote 1

34 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

For those in particular who didn't think Gough's retrieval in 7 minutes was out of the ordinary when he went for a swim. 

And that people is pure professionalism. Wonder if Mr Witt has watched?

17 minutes ago, thetruth said:

And BTW Hermann I have done 3 of these, so do not ever assume................

3 MOB?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, russell_2878 said:

This is especially annoying as not only does it seem the is no problem with the onboard footage theyvalso seem to have a camera boat out there that is shooting some 'artsy' b roll footage ATM, all we seem to be missing at the moment is a chopper, but I think there is no technical reason while the full coverage can't continue until the end if the round the island race.!?

You have to ask yourself, what is the communication system in use to get boat video back? It won't be satellite - it might be 4G through the phone network, it might be relayed via the helicopter. Both the latter two have problems. There are likely black spots for 4G coverage - especially on the unpopulated sides of the islands, and the terrain will make for really difficult coverage in some places. The helicopter is range and duration limited. It is quite possible that the entire communications network was about to drop out as the chopper left, and they were wrapping up with the boat video having seconds to go before loss of signal.

Without knowing how they were getting the  video back it is pretty hard to criticise. Don't imagine that this is trivial. They have to plug together a mess of stuff that changes from one in-port to another. They are limited by what can be hired locally, and the local communications infrastructure. It is astounding that they manage as good a production as they do with the resources and personal they have available. 

49 minutes ago, Rushman said:

3 MOB?

More to the point -  3 MOB in a VO65? The whole point of the video was that MOB on a VO65 or similar is not like a MOB on any conventional boat. 

Witty said in the video when Alex went over that he and the team had developed a lot of experience and practice with canting keep boats and MOB. Of  course is referring to the 100ft Scallywag. I was impressed with the Dong Feng video with the care and thought that had gone into retrieving a potentially incapacitated MOB. 

But as they say - there is the plan, and then there is what actually happens. The trick is for both to have happy endings.

• Like 1

Interesting that they are planning a 21:30 hours arrival from China on Feb 5th.   It will be well dark by then.  Strange choice in light of Vestas.

3 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

For those in particular who didn't think Gough's retrieval in 7 minutes was out of the ordinary when he went for a swim. 

3 hours ago, thetruth said:

And that people is pure professionalism. Wonder if Mr Witt has watched?

2 hours ago, Herman said:

Nice find. Great to see that DFRT has the MOB runbook in plastic in the cabin, so everyone can see what to do in case.

2 hours ago, thetruth said:

And BTW Hermann I have done 3 of these, so do not ever assume................

You have gone for a swim 3 times and been retrieved???...well that makes 3 crews on planet earth that deserve a flogging. 

However if you mean 3 crew have stepped off a boat you were in charge of??..then strange you haven't given any thought to why all these people jumping ship on you.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DtM said:

Interesting that they are planning a 21:30 hours arrival from China on Feb 5th.   It will be well dark by then.  Strange choice in light of Vestas.

If I had to guess, the boats will not be charging hard.  Everyone who participates gets a point - no more, no less.  No need to break the boat, risk injury, etc. 

1 hour ago, Francis Vaughan said:

You have to ask yourself, what is the communication system in use to get boat video back? It won't be satellite - it might be 4G through the phone network, it might be relayed via the helicopter. Both the latter two have problems. There are likely black spots for 4G coverage - especially on the unpopulated sides of the islands, and the terrain will make for really difficult coverage in some places. The helicopter is range and duration limited. It is quite possible that the entire communications network was about to drop out as the chopper left, and they were wrapping up with the boat video having seconds to go before loss of signal.

Without knowing how they were getting the  video back it is pretty hard to criticise. Don't imagine that this is trivial. They have to plug together a mess of stuff that changes from one in-port to another. They are limited by what can be hired locally, and the local communications infrastructure. It is astounding that they manage as good a production as they do with the resources and personal they have available. 

https://www.vislink.com/

these are the guys who volvo use, from their website. I'd say not 4G more likely RF or SAT transmission.

1 minute ago, jack_sparrow said:

You have gone for a swim 3 times???...well that makes 3 crews on planet earth that deserve a flogging. 

However if you mean 3 have stepped off a boat you were in charge of??..then strange you haven't given any thought to why are all these people jumping ship on you.

He / she said previously it was well known on this website they had done this race if I am correct in piecing it together. 

If so, be a bit like GSP being anon on sherdog forums & talking shit to the punters. 

11 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

He / she said previously it was well known on this website they had done this race if I am correct in piecing it together. 

If so, be a bit like GSP being anon on sherdog forums & talking shit to the punters. 

So well known that nobody can remember. 

11 minutes ago, Herman said:

Some subtitles for the bunch of morons here ;)

GSP

-(unisex) Get some play 
-(male) Get some pussy 
-(female) Get some penis

SHERDOG

A forum where a bunch of morons try to act tough but in reality they all are a bunch of pussies.

Georges St-Pierre 

16 minutes ago, audiopixie said:

https://www.vislink.com/

these are the guys who volvo use, from their website. I'd say not 4G more likely RF or SAT transmission.

Interesting, thanks. (Some really sexy kit these guys sell.)

Certainly how the chopper video gets back, and one assumes any chase boat video. Limited to line of sight transmission however. I was more wondering about how the on-board stuff gets back. In the past they have not used the Inmarsat link, mostly due to cost I think. They may have this time however. It has been noted before that a 4G link should be fine for many in-port events - so long as someone sorts it all out well ahead of time. Or a data link relayed by the chopper. It would actually be pretty cool to have a technical rundown sometime, at least for those of us geeks that really get off on such things.

I would expect the difficulties with chopper duration, line of sight limits for microwave transmission, and coverage problems for any possible 4G link all make maintaining coverage right the way round the island a difficult problem.

So Mapfre won it?  Guess anyone can sail in heavy air or so the comment went.

4 minutes ago, Francis Vaughan said:

Interesting, thanks. (Some really sexy kit these guys sell.)

Certainly how the chopper video gets back, and one assumes any chase boat video. Limited to line of sight transmission however. I was more wondering about how the on-board stuff gets back. In the past they have not used the Inmarsat link, mostly due to cost I think. They may have this time however. It has been noted before that a 4G link should be fine for many in-port events - so long as someone sorts it all out well ahead of time. Or a data link relayed by the chopper. It would actually be pretty cool to have a technical rundown sometime, at least for those of us geeks that really get off on such things.

I would expect the difficulties with chopper duration, line of sight limits for microwave transmission, and coverage problems for any possible 4G link all make maintaining coverage right the way round the island a difficult problem.

since you posted this I've been doing a little research - it's been a while since I've done any OB work - and discovered there are solutions now for non line of sight. 

everything I did was always line of sight or satellite.

on clipper we used inmarsat for video transmission, but were limited to one 2minute video per week

2 minutes ago, audiopixie said:

I imagine the chopper has a transceiver underslung to relay over landfall.

Yeah, sounds reasonable. Not being in the trade I have no idea about specifics, but it seems the most sensible solution. It would be fun to know.

1 hour ago, SCANAS said:

57 minutes ago, Herman said:

Some subtitles for the bunch of morons here ;)

GSP

-(unisex) Get some play 
-(male) Get some pussy 
-(female) Get some penis

SHERDOG

A forum where a bunch of morons try to act tough but in reality they all are a bunch of pussies.

Thanks for illuminating me about the modern vernacular chaps.

I just thought this "thetruth" useless dickless cunt was just being a cunt.

Learn something every day.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

From the summary "When MAPFRE crossed the finish line, they were flying a protest flag but later informed the Race Committee they would not be following through with a protest, making the results on the water final."

Wonder what it was... pretty disappointed in the commentators saying it's a courtesy ensign though. 

2 hours ago, WLIS Jibing said:

If I had to guess, the boats will not be charging hard.  Everyone who participates gets a point - no more, no less.  No need to break the boat, risk injury, etc. 

They will motor-sail. 

1 minute ago, Grinning Ape said:

They will motor-sail. 

They might have to if it is as light as the start of the round-the-island race.  Yeesh.

10 hours ago, cremedelameme said:

A real white knuckle ride. Turds on plastic sent someone up the stick to watch Mapfre go.

Speaking of Mapfre, looks like there was some hull work done just ahead of the port rudder, they haven't had time to paint it yet.

She was popping battens on TTOP.  DFRT & SHKS also had crew aloft. 

4 hours ago, Francis Vaughan said:

You have to ask yourself, what is the communication system in use to get boat video back? It won't be satellite - it might be 4G through the phone network, it might be relayed via the helicopter. Both the latter two have problems.

Why wont it be satellite? It is pretty normal these days the transmit through broadcast vehicles like these http://www.shook-usa.com/Products_and_Services/Broadcast/as13.html who foreward the signals via satellites. This is how they do in Tour de France:

image.png.7eda3d5f6b184d898ffd33e51d04c62a.png

Now, TdF is very complicated to transmit, because it happens over large distances and in complex terrains. For the Around the Hong Kong Island, I could imagine on or two vehicles, placed fx Victoria Peak and Parker Hill (From Parker Hill is actually a great view over the area, where they gave up the transmission).

They need relay units, to cover the blind angles between the cameras broadcast vehicles. I guess one was the helicopter - but it probably had to refuel after the first part of the broadcast.

Several relays could be placed on ribs and on the shore.

Off course, VOR is not TdF, and at the end of the day, there is only the sponsors to pay the transmission - so they probably take into account whether there is enough followers to be worth the costs of establishing a full coverage around the island.

The TdF sat link is only the link from the intermediate point to the finish line. All the video from the motorbikes and helicopters is relayed to the intermediate point via airplane mounted relays. So it isn't any different (just on a much bigger scale) than we are surmising the VOR in-ports are done.  You want to avoid satellites for a range of reasons. Cost is one. TdF has buckets of money, but sat costs are eye watering. But the latency is a big deal, and I would hate to be working with a mix of satellite and terrestrial signals for the same coverage. For the VOR we are essentially combining a blue camera chopper with an orange relay chopper into one to relay the on boat video back. Well that is a guess. But it seems plausible, cost effective, and consistent.

1 hour ago, cremedelameme said:

From the summary "When MAPFRE crossed the finish line, they were flying a protest flag but later informed the Race Committee they would not be following through with a protest, making the results on the water final."

Wonder what it was... pretty disappointed in the commentators saying it's a courtesy ensign though. 

There was a lot of confusion about that flag. I can see where it came form.

Mapfre were flying a protest flag from their starboard runner, and they were flying it pretty much from the start of the race. The obvious reason for a protest being Skallywag's bit of start line slalom right in Mapfre's way. Given the finish order, clearly no point in bothering to protest SK. Especially in their home port.

However, there was a second flag. And this is clearly the flag Andy was confused about in the commentary. He described a flag on the shroud, not the runner. And there was indeed a Hong Hong flag (ie red with the little white wheel motif in the middle) flying from the shroud. Just not Mapfre's shroud. It was on Dong Feng's starboard shroud. That almost certainly is indeed the courtesy flag. But wrong boat.

• Like 3

Just looked at FB, and there was an interview with Libby and The Magenta Project. Well, it seems she is confirmed on the boat for the rest of the race. 4 way committee for navigation, Witty, Wharro, Libby and Antonio. Lord only knows how that will work.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Francis Vaughan said:

4 way committee for navigation, Witty, Wharro, Libby and Antonio. Lord only knows how that will work.

Good find.  Two nav's.  Novel approach to say the least.

• Like 1

I would like to see a replay of the start from a different angle. I'm not so sure there was only 3 boats over the line.

5a6e158bdce82_Start01.thumb.jpg.176b99635462d3797f6277e2a62426af.jpg5a6e15a820989_Start00.thumb.jpg.7d4d30ea79dd6c1bc4aa77686db93d2d.jpg

33 minutes ago, Diva39 said:

I would like to see a replay of the start from a different angle. I'm not so sure there was only 3 boats over the line.

Most probably a technical hitch - did you notice if the timer display was in sync at the 1 min gun. I haven't looked.

26 minutes ago, Diva39 said:

Are you sure the centerline of the RC was the line, and not an orange flag somewhere a bit further to the course side? If we move your yellow line slightly MAPFRE is fine.

Just looked at the video and it seems the timer was in sync with the sound signal but importantly we don't have a shot of the committee boat at one minute to observe the flags.

A bit concerning if the race management let that go. DF was covered by MAPFRE.

I'd hope there is some explanation that we are not able to see!!!

Looking again it seems as though the pin was covered by the front three so the committee would not have seen it. If what we are seeing from the footage is correct it should have been a general recall.

26 minutes ago, cremedelameme said:

Are you sure the centerline of the RC was the line, and not an orange flag somewhere a bit further to the course side?

If you dont see any orange flag on the pictures, between Mapfre's main leech and the RC boat, it's because there was no one. Because if there was one, hidden behind Mapfre's main, AKZO would surely have passed on the wrong side of it.

21 minutes ago, rogerfal said:

but importantly we don't have a shot of the committee boat

I wonder if they didn't shoot the start from there, and thats the footage I'd like to see. In a protest situation, that footage would be helpful - but as Mapfre was that close to (and maybe over) the line, could be the main reason they waivered thier protest.

We cannot judge it for sure from the present angle, as Mapfre's bow was just hidden behind DF's head sail, when the start goes.

1 hour ago, rogerfal said:

A bit concerning if the race management let that go. DF was probably covered by MAPFRE.

It is always hard for the human eye to judge whether you saw the bow of a boat in front of the buoy in the exact moment of the start, or just a split second later, and even more difficult if the bouy is already hidden behind 3 other boats, and then be confident enough to sentence that boat to go back over the line.

In such cases, it is not unusual that some boats are going away with a false start, cause even if they can see it afterwards on a video footage, it would be too late to sentence.

Anyway, it would take much of the glitter off Mapfre's win, if they actualy false startet, because, if they had to turn back like the three others, they wouldn't have been in the position, 25 min. later, to get the puff that made them advance from a lead of 230 m to more than 2000 m, in only 7 minutes.

It basically secured thier win, and they deserve it, because they was able to advance the first 230 m from DF in the very light wind.

• Like 2

guess it's a rule they need to haul along their life rafts and have all that weight dragging the transom down on these in port events, but wtf for? strip them when they're not offshore.

^^^^^ Some teams are time poor, got recuperation issues etc and for them the in-port stuff is more of a burdan. Having to pull things on and off would only make this more so.

@Diva39

You make sense.

On the lack of orange flag expect it's in the SI's.

You only need to move the yellow line (which is viewed from behind adding an error) to the front, course side edge of the pin (rather than the middle) and also 1 metre to port on the start boat and I think Mapfre is fine (just). 

Just now, DtM said:

You only need to move the yellow line (which is viewed from behind adding an error) to the front, course side edge of the pin (rather than the middle) and also 1 metre to port on the start boat and I think Mapfre is fine (just). 

Normally the front edge of the pin that counts so yep. And we don't have a perfect video shot. 

Yesterday's start was interesting.  It was obvious at the 1min gun the fleet were coming in too hot, were tightly bunched and didn't have room to kill speed.  
Here are some pics to show how extreme SHKS's maneuver was.  I was waiting to here that familiar crunch of splintering carbon. 
In the 2nd shot, TBRU's mast is just visible behind TTOP.  AKZN is not yet in shot.  
They all know exactly where the line is by running it pre-start with a GPS ping (3rd shot).
EDIT - No General Recall if OCS boats are clearly identifiable, which is pretty easy with these guys.  

IMG_4123.jpg

IMG_4124.jpg

Furthermore, I understand that the protest flag flown by MAPF was for a technical infringement, not an on-water incident (which are covered immediately by the on-water jury).  

2 minutes ago, Grinning Ape said:

Furthermore, I understand that the protest flag flown by MAPF was for a technical infringement, not an on-water incident (which are covered immediately by the on-water jury).  

Did you get this from the video or another source?

4 minutes ago, rogerfal said:

Did you get this from the video or another source?

It was against AKZN for a Level 2.  However, protest not followed through.

2 minutes ago, Grinning Ape said:

I don't know what that is. Has that been published or do you have a contact. All I heard were comments on the race video.

4 minutes ago, rogerfal said:

I don't know what that is. Has that been published or do you have a contact. All I heard were comments on the race video.

What's it matter?  There was no formal protest.   

Am always happy to learn and no it doesn't matter!

8 hours ago, Grinning Ape said:

She was popping battens on TTOP.  DFRT & SHKS also had crew aloft. 

These pics show the bowmen (persons?) popping the battens through.  It's clear on SHKS that the top two are inverted.  They were all having problems in the light stuff with this.  These sails are heavy duty and built for the worst conditions, so it's understandable.  Not only that, they are nearing the end of their life-use, so maybe not as optimal. When they will start swapping out for the fresh set?  After Auckland would make sense to go into the high latitudes with fresh sails at the half-way point of the race.  

IMG_4153.jpg

IMG_4155.jpg

1 hour ago, Grinning Ape said:

That certainly makes more sense. I didn't check to see if Mapfre was flying the protest flag before the start, I just looked back and found it clearly visible a minute after. As you say, any on water protest would not be done with this flag. So good reason for the confusion.

If you know the day is light, why not wind some tension off the top three battens...?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Francis Vaughan said:

That certainly makes more sense. I didn't check to see if Mapfre was flying the protest flag before the start, I just looked back and found it clearly visible a minute after. As you say, any on water protest would not be done with this flag. So good reason for the confusion.

For those of us unfamiliar with Add. Q and other umpired racing: the red flag is used for a protest only in an incident involving your own boat and a breach of Part 2 (except Rule 14 in the event of damage or injury), or an alleged breach of Rule 31 or Rule 42, it gets removed as soon as the umpires signal a decision. Other intents to protest are lodged with the race committee at the finish before the removal of flag B.

2 hours ago, Grinning Ape said:

But I've never heard of a Level 2 either.

What's it matter?  There was no formal protest

We can't all be playing the same game if we don't know the rules. Patiently explaining them to sailors who are unaware of the rules helps keep the sport self policing and fair. Since you seem to be in the know it would be great if you could enlighten those of us who are not, even if there was no protest filed.

• Like 4

Do they get a replacement main though? I thought the main was for the whole race?

8 hours ago, Diva39 said:

5a6e158bdce82_Start01.thumb.jpg.176b99635462d3797f6277e2a62426af.jpg5a6e15a820989_Start00.thumb.jpg.7d4d30ea79dd6c1bc4aa77686db93d2d.jpg

I thought that also. Easy for a race officer when so many OBVIOUSLY over the line to miss one. 50% of fleet over would have been worth a third toot and a general recall. Didn't want to say something and appear too partisan

• Like 1

These pics show the bowmen (persons?) popping the battens through.  It's clear on SHKS that the top two are inverted.  They were all having problems in the light stuff with this.  These sails are heavy duty and built for the worst conditions, so it's understandable.  Not only that, they are nearing the end of their life-use, so maybe not as optimal. When they will start swapping out for the fresh set?  After Auckland would make sense to go into the high latitudes with fresh sails at the half-way point of the race.  

IMG_4153.jpg

IMG_4155.jpg

I would hardly call them "nearing the end of their life use". Last race they went round the world on one set and we are not even half way round on this one. In fact when Dongfeng damaged their main wit the mast breakage there was even discussion whether they would graft a new top on the old sail in Itajai.

Just sayin'

SS

There would have, or should have been, a pin boat on station in comms with RC calling OCS. Whether they might have a better line of sight of site I can't tell.

Re sails, it sure looked like some of the boats had pretty fresh inventory for the HK in ports. SHKS not so much.

Over early? Who gives a fuck? This is just a couple of floating billboards for which people get paid to pull ropes. Please don’t confuse this with any form of serious yacht racing, because this race has become a joke.

Scallylegs doing a great job interacting with public in HK and giving their sponsors a leg up.

1 MORE DAY TO GO UNTIL THE OPEN BOAT EVENT!

The In-Port races may be over, but it doesn't mean there's nothing to do at the Scallywag team base! We'll be holding the open boat event on the 30th January, 2018 (12:00pm - 2:00pm), so make your way over, meet the crew, and explore the Volvo Ocean 65!

On top of that, we are still holding the social media competition. Take snaps while you’re over at the Stopover Festival, follow our Instagram and tag us with #scallywaghk. Or like our page and post your favourite picture (taken with, around, or by us) in the comments below and tag us (#scallywaghk) to submit your entry for a chance to earn yourself some ScallySwag courtesy of our sponsors at Sail Racing! 

Only one entry will be taken into account. We’re looking forward to see all the entries! Winner will be announced on the 30th of January, 2018 as well!

Volvo Ocean Race: Dancing for dollars

Published on January 28th, 2018 

The Volvo Ocean Race teams returned to the waters in Hong Kong for the fourth stage of the 11-race In-Port Series. Unique to the format, the results from one buoy race and one race around Hong Kong Island were combined to determine the overall rank for the Hong Kong event.

While the Chinese region is far off the round the world course, this detour helps to pay the bills. To offer some entertainment, Volvo Ocean Race teams have In-Port Race events in Hong Kong and Guangzhou plus Leg 5 which connects the cities.

http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2018/01/28/volvo-ocean-race-dancing-dollars/

1 hour ago, sunseeker said:

Over early? Who gives a fuck? This is just a couple of floating billboards for which people get paid to pull ropes. Please don’t confuse this with any form of serious yacht racing, because this race has become a joke.

A little harsh I think. It still takes serious skills to race the clipper route around the world's great capes. 

Cape Horners are still a rare breed, even in today's world.

6 hours ago, Grinning Ape said:

"Which would you like me to prep today for you Sir - Your VOR65 or Maxi 100?"  

IMG_4104.jpg

Seems the rig on the 100'er has been optimised by an Etchells specialist for a light air downwind race...

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, NZL3481 said:

Seems the rig on the 100'er has been optimised by an Etchells specialist for a light air downwind race...

That does look remarkably extreme, however if you look at the buildings there is a huge amount of perspective distortion present. Taken close in with a very wide angle.

2 hours ago, sunseeker said:

lay off the glue, even though it's part marketing circus it's the sport at it's elite level and also some very competitive one-design racing across oceans.

First time Scallywag has been spotted since going into the shed for mods? Anyone see anything of note?

On 1/28/2018 at 4:33 PM, russell_2878 said:

Comments like yours are exactly why SA needs to add either a like, star or an up vote type thing to these forums.

It's in the bottom right corner Russ.

5 hours ago, Francis Vaughan said:

That does look remarkably extreme, however if you look at the buildings there is a huge amount of perspective distortion present. Taken close in with a very wide angle.

I thought it might be interesting to see if correcting the perspective might provide a better look at the differences. I have done a very cursory correction - all I have done is make the buildings at the bottom as close to vertical as I could. It does at least remove the forward rake on Scally 100's mast. Not sure it tells us anything more, but finer minds might see something.

Scallywag_65_100_Perspectice_corrected.thumb.jpg.edb21c19637b4e194876a975f51a0a9a.jpg

The thru proportions should be like this:

5a6f15b8dc2c5_Ragamuffin100vsVO65.thumb.jpg.7ae7197f69ff2b5a78c2d9f680d0c1ac.jpg

Notice: The J-dimension on VO65 is relatively large, compared to Scalliwag 100 (Ragamuffin 100), but not as extreme as it appears at your picture.

Guys,

Think any mods to Scally 100 were about more RM...deeper keel, new bulb and some other structural work.

No rig moves I think.

7 minutes ago, Frogman56 said:

Guys,

Think any mods to Scally 100 were about more RM...deeper keel, new bulb and some other structural work.

No rig moves I think.

I think they lengthened the boom but that was a few months ago.

2 hours ago, Diva39 said:

Notice: The J-dimension on VO65 is relatively large, compared to Scalliwag 100 (Ragamuffin 100), but not as extreme as it appears at your picture.

Yeah, the J dim was the thing that really stood out. The difficulty with the pic is that the stern of Skally 100 is obscured, so you don't get a good feel for the length, and it is clearly turned away from the photographer, shortening her apparent length. Plus, whilst I can easily correct perspective distortion in one plane, it becomes much harder to correct it in two, so the relative dimensions of objects turned relative to the camera will still be out. Thus one would expect that the relative proportions will still be a bit out visually.  Allowing for that as much as one can, Skally 100 looks identical to before.

Ah, the challenges of light air racing . .  as Annie pointed out, jerking on the boom to pop out inverted battens can really kill your speed. 

North does make light air battens - got some on my own main. I wonder if Mapfre was using them. 

Mapfre did plenty of boom jerking.  This is one design, including the battens so if one has them all do.

• Like 1

A pretty bizzare collision in English waters between a sail boat (German Training Vessel) and a Dutchfishing boat that wasn't fishing and returning to the Netherlands. 

One person on watch who sees it for the first time about 20 metres before the collision.

Must have been deaf as well as blind.

Just now, jack_sparrow said:

A pretty bizzare collision in English waters between a sail boat (German Training Vessel) and a Dutchfishing boat that wasn't fishing and returning to the Netherlands. 

One person on watch who sees it for the first time about 20 metres before the collision.

Must have been deaf as well as blind.

That clip is as old as the internet Jack! 

29 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

That clip is as old as the internet Jack! 

49 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

^^ Actually I think I have seen it before Scan. ...though the internet has been around for  more than 7 years (since collision).

That, and it was an English fishing vessel, with a Dutch crew. "Mr Jan Baarssen, 51, of Urk, Netherlands pleaded guilty for conduct endangering ships or persons. He was fined £1,700 plus costs of £6,435"  And not just Dutch, it was an Urker "Quay Spitter", very strict Christians who on Sundays, apart from going to church, walk the baby stroller up and down the quay all day, hundreds of them. And don't leave anything laying around on deck during the week, or it will be gone. The Harbour Master, Mr Jan van Urk, (his real name) is/was a good guy though.

This is another beauty, rather boat/yacht related too. I remember seeing a video of it at the time, with some people in the Marina jumping of their boats and run for their life.  Can't find that one anymore.

Any real news from the Hongkong SA brigade?