• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
duncan (the other one)

VOR Leg 4 Melbourne to Honkers

Bob Fisher speculates on the Vestas tragedy

Typical Colonial arrogance , the details have been reported in the Chinese press , you know the local language , and translations appear in this thread .

Subtitles can be auto generated in English. Helps a bit. Would like to be drawn for the hat, but too much work figuring out the question :)

So, they are going to have a best vid/ picture section we can compare with Clean's, the speaker gets to use the Race Centre and line up guests, and will be "unfiltered".  Might be interesting, especially if the spanish speakers here decide it's worth the time.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SCANAS said:

He lost me at patching & motorsailing to AKL. 

Must admit, I thought he'd lost the plot completely with that suggestion too.

• Like 1

An overview of the tactics and strategy for the in-port race from Vila via gtrans

The Guangzhou coastal regatta, MAPFRE's next objective

2/02/2018 |

Tomorrow Saturday the Chinese city of Guangzhou will host the fifth coastal regatta of the Volvo Ocean Race. MAPFRE, tied in points with the leader of the In-Port Race Series, will try to score a new victory that will allow him to break in his favor the tie in front of the classification.

After the arrival on Thursday in China, the Guangzhou program continues its course and the fleet of the Volvo Ocean Race is already preparing to return to the competition. Tomorrow Saturday, at 15:00 local time (08:00 hours in Spain) will be the horn of departure for the fifth coastal regatta of the round the world sailing, which will be played with a windward-leeward course located in the area North of the Humen bridge. "If there was a lot of wind they would do something different, but tomorrow's part is medium winds, so I think that in principle it will be a normal race, like all of them," says MAPFRE navigator Joan Vila. " It is a river, but there is enough space to make a tour similar to the one we had in Hong Kong, with several limitations of land but with the same space ."

Those of Xabi Fernández, who are tied with 25 points in the general standings of the In-Port Race Series with the local team Dongfeng, will go out in the water with the aim of fighting for the victory and placing themselves again as leaders in the classification alone. It will not be easy, and although everything indicates that the conditions will be mild or moderate winds of between eight and 12 knots of intensity, everything will depend on the strategies of each of the teams.

In the words of Vila, "we always prepare ourselves by looking at the forecasts and collecting all the information. In principle with this type of wind and in these short regattas what you have to do is have your eyes wide open and see a bit how everything evolves. In the end, the tactics and the strategy will be decided tomorrow depending on what we see and on what sides they seem favored. It will be important, as always, the exit and navigate free ".

On this occasion one of the factors to take into account will be the currents. Navigating in a river always implies having to be very attentive to the times of high tide and low tide to have a forecast of the currents, and it is something that the navigator of the Spanish ship has taken very much into account when collecting all the information of the race course.

"The previous days we collected information about the tides, currents, parts of the wind ... and you get an idea of how the winds are evolving and how it affects the earth. When we release moorings tomorrow, or immediately after leaving, there will be high tide so when we start the regatta the tide will be starting to come down already. In principle as for the current the thing will be quite neutral, " says the experienced Catalan navigator.

MAPFRE is clear that, as on previous occasions, the coastal race will be more than contested and committing the least possible errors will be essential to reach the end with victory options.

If at the start there is a hesitation, there are chances to come back but Vila admits that it is not an easy task: "In this type of regatta the power to overcome depends a lot on the conditions. If there are conditions like those of Lisbon, where there were showers and the wind varied a lot, it is easier to overcome, and you can also trace something by tactical, but in constant wind conditions, especially in which one side is clearly favored, is when it's much harder to come back. "

VOR river racing.  Awesome.  Maybe they'll see a White or Pink Dolphin.

The region where the Pearl River flows into the South China Sea has seen some of the most rapid urban expansion in human history over the past few decades – transforming what was mostly agricultural land in 1979 into what is the manufacturing heartland of a global economic superpower today.

In 2008, China announced plans to mesh Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Dongguan, Zhaoqing, Foshan, Huizhou, Jiangmen, Zhongshan and Zhuhai into a single megacity. A series of massive infrastructure projects are under way to merge transport, energy, water and telecoms networks across the nine cities. Development has been relentless, and the World Bank recently named the Pearl River Delta as the biggest urban area in the world in terms of population and geographical size.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/may/10/china-pearl-river-delta-then-and-now-photographs

Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 7.03.55 PM.png

• Like 1

Visited Guangzhou once in the mid 80s. Incredible transformation. Thanks for the link.

2 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Must admit, I thought he'd lost the plot completely with that suggestion too.

It was the people trafficking and drug running that caught my eye first. 

5 hours ago, southerncross said:

First in a weekly series by Mapfre sponsored group. No English subtitles.

Without sensorship?

Chuso - please correct me.

I would suggest we keep the Dongfeng In-Port Race here in the Leg 4 thread, and not clutter the newer/later Leg 6 thread too much. And this way it is also in the correct chronological order!

So, NO Live Show at first, only blogging/tweeting as shown below:

How to follow the Dongfeng In-Port Race in Guangzhou on Saturday February 3:

Racing starts at 1500 local time (0700 UTC), but due to technical limitations, video coverage will be available "as live" at 2300 local time (1500 UTC).

Join us on our live blog:
We'll be blogging all the moves, previews and news from the racetrack on our live blog, including the best of clips and social content, from 1450 local time (0650 UTC). You can find it at www.volvooceanrace.com under the 'Racing' section

I presume that would be here, but see no announcement there yet:  http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/raceblog.html

Check out Twitter:
We'll be tweeting live updates from the race course beginning at 1450 local time (0650 GMT). Join the conversation on Twitter with the "as live" broadcast at 2300 local time (1500 UTC) by visiting live.twitter.com/volvooceanrace and tweeting us with #volvooceanrace. Check it out as we share the best content from the teams, stakeholders and fans on our feed.

That should be here, but that page seems a bit fucked-up:   https://twitter.com/i/events/938084651230380032

Check out Facebook:
We'll post the "as live" video at 2300 local time (1500 UTC) -– you can go to our page to schedule a reminder so you don't miss it.

I would not be surprised if something shows up here in real time, there are a few items and chat already:    

https://www.facebook.com/volvooceanrace/?hc_ref=ARSV6EElltD9391aFZMtEJZv0syCt5WCs-Rgxbkvn-JP1MJAYj_ODw3kWlFiWU6REWM&fref=nf

Good luck with all that and have fun.

• Like 1

Oh, this is so exiting, I love the In-Ports:

Gone get a beer and popcorn and will keep my mouth shut from now on (perhaps).

"Racing starts at 1500 local time (0700 UTC), but due to technical limitations, video coverage will be available "as live" at 2300 local time (1500 UTC)."

What the actual fuck? Footage not going live for six hours after the event has concluded?

This sounds kinda 1st world problems but this is absoluely appalling for an event that used to pride itself on its social media reach.

• Like 1

The so-called Race Blog stopped periodically, so I switched to the Dongfeng Twitter feed of the race, which came complete with photos and, a live video of the start by someone named Benjamin Schwartz who appeared to be on a Dongfeng spectator sid which was retweeted by Dongfeng. So if Ben could live video the race, why couldn't the RC? Embarrassingly for Dongfeng it was a cluster**** as they blew the start (as did Scallywag) by going over the line early and fouling on a marker. 

I cannot make any sense at all of the VOR website this morning. Is it really true that there is no available video coverage from the latest in-port?

Would be very grateful for any link (simple, I am the opposite of an IT guru!) if there is one. Very frustrating to read the ridiculous little report on the race on the VOR site and not see anything.

4 minutes ago, staysail said:

I cannot make any sense at all of the VOR website this morning. Is it really true that there is no available video coverage from the latest in-port?

Would be very grateful for any link (simple, I am the opposite of an IT guru!) if there is one. Very frustrating to read the ridiculous little report on the race on the VOR site and not see anything.

Re run at 15.00 UTC I believe so not before then I guess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, despacio avenue said:

a live video of the start by someone named Benjamin Schwartz who appeared to be on a Dongfeng spectator sid

Dongfeng hooked up at start buoy and way behind, Mapfre way ahead. Not much else to see, but thanks anyway Benjamin!

Benjamin SCHWARTZ @Bschwartz87 27m27 minutes ago

Apologies to all: I ran out of data :D
  • Like 1

The most stupid thing is that you can't avoid to know the result.

If you are on Twitter, FB or get the pressers, you need to get away from the laptop/smartphone/tablet until 15 zulu, otherwise the fun is gone.

As it is for me now, thanks Akzo for the tweet :huh:

• Like 1

Rumours... ah, I love rumours!

Gossip that I heard from a camel with his nose in one of the Race Team Tents at the HK inshore event last Saturday re the tragic Vestas collision.

1)    The injured fisherman had both legs completely severed in the collision. I conclude he would have been dead long before HKSAR got there. Maybe 2 minutes without tourniquets?  I am not sure. Probably less.

2)    Vestas damn near sank.

3)    No mention was made at the briefing in Melbourne of the possibility of running into large numbers of badly lit fishing boats as they approached HK. Of course, this is not an excuse. No one who has sailed in Asian waters (and other coastal waters) can be excused for not being aware of this hazard as you approach the coasts.

The camel and I both agreed that part of the problem (as it was with the Vestas grounding in the Indian Ocean on the last event) was far too much time staring at screens and not enough time keeping a proper lookout on deck.

Yes, I know it is hard to keep a forward lookout in the conditions these guys and gals sail in.

Maybe more needs to be done? Put FLIR on the boats (obviously at the top of the mast) so that the screen watchers can have a better forward view?

Add extremely high intensity narrow angle forward navigation lights, or even spotlights, to sweep the seas in front?

Just a thought.

Fisher's comments about drug smugglers or people trafficking are laughable. Thirty miles out in an open boat? They wouldn't have been tending a driftnet since those are illegal globally and you only run into them in international waters. Trawlers don't have small boats tending them. Purse seiners do but the mothership would have been close and ten crew are not required.

With ten guys in the boat they were most likely squidders in which case they would have been lit up like Times Square. Which explains why they didn't see Vestas' Nav lights and power up to get out of the way before the prang and leads back to the question as to whether an adequate deck watch was being kept on Vestas?

Best regards folks

Yes, I am a Newbie and yes I will fuck off and yes I will post a couple of prime boobs when I get around to it. Will pictures of  Trump and Jeremy Corbyn suffice?

• Like 1

Glad I didn't stay up for that.  Both Chinese boats over early?  

“It was very tricky racing in the river of course,” said MAPFRE skipper Xabi Fernández. “We had a very good start and then we were able to stay in phase with the wind and current and extended away.”

It was a more challenging afternoon for the hometown heroes on Dongfeng Race Team, who were over the starting line early, along with SHK/Scallywag.

But while Scallywag returned to re-start cleanly, Dongfeng found itself tangled up with the anchor line for the start mark – by the time they were free the rest of the fleet was hundreds of metres up the course.

Volvo Ocean Race In-Port Race Series Leaderboard
MAPFRE – 32 points
Dongfeng Race Team – 27 points
Team Brunel – 23 points
team AkzoNobel – 21 points
Sun Hung Kai / Scallywag – 13 points
Vestas 11th Hour Racing – 12 points
Turn the Tide on Plastic – 10 points

Screen Shot 2018-02-03 at 12.22.48 PM.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, despacio avenue said:

The so-called Race Blog stopped periodically, so I switched to the Dongfeng Twitter feed of the race, which came complete with photos and, a live video of the start by someone named Benjamin Schwartz who appeared to be on a Dongfeng spectator sid which was retweeted by Dongfeng. So if Ben could live video the race, why couldn't the RC? Embarrassingly for Dongfeng it was a cluster**** as they blew the start (as did Scallywag) by going over the line early and fouling on a marker. 

Well, in a country where Facebook is banned and Google is heavily censored, amongst other restrictions on civil liberties, I'm surprised that there's any coverage at all! 

Furthermore, spectator boats (apart from team craft) were forbidden at this VOR event, and likely the only place in the world where that would happen. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Thanks to those who stayed up late, and to those on the ground for the info and links. Laughed at the irony that a privileged local was able to stream from the RIB until his limit was reached, but that the VOR had to follow some bizarre protocol. 

4 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

The most stupid thing is that you can't avoid to know the result.

If you are on Twitter, FB or get the pressers, you need to get away from the laptop/smartphone/tablet until 15 zulu, otherwise the fun is gone.

As it is for me now, thanks Akzo for the tweet :huh:

Woke up to VOR email  "MAPFRE claims top spot in China".  Couldn't resist reading Peter Rusch's pretty clear summary So much for the suspense. :lol:

Then checked the tweets and found shore teams had fun with mindless random gifs. 

Oh well. Looking forward to seeing how AKZO managed to get ahead of TTOP (who looked to have a way better start than AKZO). 

and btw, good stuff from Abby in the transcript of her interview here  http://www.wispsports.com/the-sailing-show/s3e2/abby-ehler-takes-a-leg-off?

• Like 1

Liked the way Nicholai put up his hand here.  Should make watching the #fakelive race interesting.

4 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Shouldn't there be a stream or something?

This is getting amusing

5a75cf3d58d36_ScreenShot2018-02-03at9_02_35AM.png.dcc9126e606c7241381e2f27010228f7.png5a75cf3c323ce_ScreenShot2018-02-03at9_00_51AM.png.8af3fafe512474df9f463a379d051550.png

Just now, Rennmaus said:

There is still the '"Race of Champions" on Facebook ATM, but actually, I could negotiate with my Hubby to watch the VOR now. :-(

I'm waiting for my wife to get off the phone to her sister so I can go back to bed :D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tommmzzz said:

I thought it was suppose to up now? wtf

That's what she said... when she got off the line to her sister.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tommmzzz said:

I thought it was suppose to up now? wtf

That's what she said.     Drats! Too slow (yeah, yeah)

It's really annoying having all the celebrations, scores, etc up on instagram and facebook - when we have no idea what went on. 

Buggers.

In the meantime, catching up on Brisbane Bill's journey. Looks like he has tacked to shoot past the storm at the Horn, https://tracker.ee

Trouble is, starboard tack is the weak side of his jury-rigged mast (http://www.sailblogs.com/member/leaucommotion/438246 ).  

(OK, thread drift off: back to seeing if the jury rig on the in-port will work)

What really pi##es me off is that there is no explanation on the website, nothing, no communocation at all. S#hit can happen, plans can change, technology can break down. We would understand. But VOR is acting as if announcing an event and then forgetting about it is totally normal. Looks like radio silence is totally normal for the VOR 2017-18. Move along, nothing to see here.

• Like 1

And, meanwhile, it's hard as hell to check to see if they've gotten around to posting the video that was supposed to be up more than an hour ago without seeing headlines about who won.  Knowing who won seriously kills my interest in watching much beyond the start.  The only way I've found to get to video replays without first seeing who won is to wait for them to post it on their Youtube channel, and to avoid the Volvo site, their social media, and unfortunately also the SA threads until it shows up there.

2 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

And, meanwhile, it's hard as hell to check to see if they've gotten around to posting the video that was supposed to be up more than an hour ago without seeing headlines about who won.  Knowing who won seriously kills my interest in watching much beyond the start.  The only way I've found to get to video replays without first seeing who won is to wait for them to post it on their Youtube channel, and to avoid the Volvo site, their social media, and unfortunately also the SA threads until it shows up there.

Don't worry, you will read here if/when the video is posted.

To save you the ketchup: No video yet, although promised for 1,5 hours ago. Annoyance all around.
Everybody hown by now who won. Lucky you, keep your eyes closed.

• Like 1

Laughed at the 1 min clip--figured they'd cut the promo stuff.

In the long clip, Interesting that Capey was left onshore, if I heard correctly.

Did anyone catch the DFTR/TTOP protest?  

Good part was the match race coaching comments. Best was seeing how pretty smooth most of teams handled maneuvers. 

Glad I spent the time. Starting to prepare for less RaceExperts and Raw, and reverting to old style coverage.

Was anyone able to watch it on the Virtual Eye? Here, Safari on OSX choked, on Chrome Volvo site told me I needed WebGl so to try Firefox, but  even in FireFox nothing happened other than the fans ramped up and Safari needed to be restarted.

12 minutes ago, stief said:

In the long clip, Interesting that Capey was left onshore, if I heard correctly.

Here is the explanation Stief, been watching Brisbane Bill's journey too much?

https://brunelsailing.net/us/en/news/Team-brunel-7-sailors-inport-race-china

Lush and Cape not in China
Bekking: "The crew is the same as with which we sailed the In-Port race and the Round the Island in Hong Kong, last weekend. Annie (Lush ed.) Is not 100% fit yet and will not take action here. We hope that she will be fit in time for the restart in Hong Kong but it will be tight. "

"Besides Annie, we miss Cape. After the Round the Island he flew home for some time with his family and to prepare himself optimally for Leg 6 to Auckland. That will be another Leg with tactical moments of choice. He uses this period to map out the different options."

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Andalay said:

Rumours... ah, I love rumours!

Gossip that I heard from a camel with his nose in one of the Race Team Tents at the HK inshore event last Saturday re the tragic Vestas collision.

1)    The injured fisherman had both legs completely severed in the collision. I conclude he would have been dead long before HKSAR got there. Maybe 2 minutes without tourniquets?  I am not sure. Probably less.

2)    Vestas damn near sank.

3)    No mention was made at the briefing in Melbourne of the possibility of running into large numbers of badly lit fishing boats as they approached HK. Of course, this is not an excuse. No one who has sailed in Asian waters (and other coastal waters) can be excused for not being aware of this hazard as you approach the coasts.

The camel and I both agreed that part of the problem (as it was with the Vestas grounding in the Indian Ocean on the last event) was far too much time staring at screens and not enough time keeping a proper lookout on deck.

Yes, I know it is hard to keep a forward lookout in the conditions these guys and gals sail in.

Maybe more needs to be done? Put FLIR on the boats (obviously at the top of the mast) so that the screen watchers can have a better forward view?

Add extremely high intensity narrow angle forward navigation lights, or even spotlights, to sweep the seas in front?

Just a thought.

Fisher's comments about drug smugglers or people trafficking are laughable. Thirty miles out in an open boat? They wouldn't have been tending a driftnet since those are illegal globally and you only run into them in international waters. Trawlers don't have small boats tending them. Purse seiners do but the mothership would have been close and ten crew are not required.

With ten guys in the boat they were most likely squidders in which case they would have been lit up like Times Square. Which explains why they didn't see Vestas' Nav lights and power up to get out of the way before the prang and leads back to the question as to whether an adequate deck watch was being kept on Vestas?

Best regards folks

Yes, I am a Newbie and yes I will fuck off and yes I will post a couple of prime boobs when I get around to it. Will pictures of  Trump and Jeremy Corbyn suffice?

Great first post, Andalay. Keep 'em coming. 

8 minutes ago, ModernViking said:

After watching this, I can understand it took a while to smuggle that footage out of the Peoples Republic :ph34r:

There were several times when I felt like the footage had been edited oddly...  like it had to go through Chinese authorities first who cut out angles with things they didn't want the world to see or something.  It also bothered me that the one pair of boats racing closely, for second place, wasn't shown at all during the last 3-4 minutes of their racing time..  and that DFL and DFL-1 came in after the coverage ended, while likely being the second-closest finish.  Seemed very poorly done, and very difficult to tell how much of it was poor production by VOR versus censorship by Chinese officials.  I think VOR would say that it was presented "as live" so editing it to have better production shouldn't be expected...  but it really didn't seem like a video that hadn't been edited.  Weird.  Looking forward to Auckland.

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1

On 2/2/2018 at 5:59 PM, stief said:

Subtitles can be auto generated in English. Helps a bit. Would like to be drawn for the hat, but too much work figuring out the question :)

So, they are going to have a best vid/ picture section we can compare with Clean's, the speaker gets to use the Race Centre and line up guests, and will be "unfiltered".  Might be interesting, especially if the spanish speakers here decide it's worth the time.

Not really worth it, it's entertaining, but not very informative...

23 hours ago, rogerfal said:

Without sensorship?

Chuso - please correct me.

Certainly nothing to be censored  on that video.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Great first post, Andalay. Keep 'em coming. 

Thanks

Only if I can add something.

Safer to lurk.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Andalay said:

Thanks

Only if I can add something.

Safer to lurk.

Needing to 'add something' never stopped me from posting (obviously). It is Sailing Anarchy after all.

Pretty sure I never posted tits either. ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Your Mom said:

There were several times when I felt like the footage had been edited oddly...  like it had to go through Chinese authorities first who cut out angles with things they didn't want the world to see or something.  It also bothered me that the one pair of boats racing closely, for second place, wasn't shown at all during the last 3-4 minutes of their racing time..  and that DFL and DFL-1 came in after the coverage ended, while likely being the second-closest finish.  Seemed very poorly done, and very difficult to tell how much of it was poor production by VOR versus censorship by Chinese officials.  I think VOR would say that it was presented "as live" so editing it to have better production shouldn't be expected...  but it really didn't seem like a video that hadn't been edited.  Weird.  Looking forward to Auckland.

It did seem a bit odd. The first time they switched to the tracker view shortly after the start, they had it up for what seemed like about two seconds before pulling it down again. Plus no graphics at the start. No countdown timer or anything.

On the other hand, the actual footage was a lot better, I think. I am up to the first mark rounding and they still haven't used any of the automatic cameras that, for example, look down on the cockpit from behind - all the on-board footage has been hand-shot, which make it a lot clearer and a lot more interesting. Plus the camera people all seem to be wearing black and red. I hadn't paid attention but I thought the OBRs all wore team colours? Are these people OBRs? Or are they Chinese personnel?

Had a bit of a whinge earlier about how VOR are dropping the ball with this performance. Since then I've become a bit more philosophical. If this degraded offering is due to Chinese issues, what do you think of it? Do you think this is the price (however small) that western supporters should pay in order to broaden the sport's appeal and following around the world? Or do you think events like these should be withheld until all the host cities/countries are on the same page when it comes to transparency and the demands of western audiences?

hmmm.

3 minutes ago, webdeveloper said:

It did seem a bit odd. The first time they switched to the tracker view shortly after the start, they had it up for what seemed like about two seconds before pulling it down again. Plus no graphics at the start. No countdown timer or anything.

On the other hand, the actual footage was a lot better, I think. I am up to the first mark rounding and they still haven't used any of the automatic cameras that, for example, look down on the cockpit from behind - all the on-board footage has been hand-shot, which make it a lot clearer and a lot more interesting. Plus the camera people all seem to be wearing black and red. I hadn't paid attention but I thought the OBRs all wore team colours? Are these people OBRs? Or are they Chinese personnel?

Had a bit of a whinge earlier about how VOR are dropping the ball with this performance. Since then I've become a bit more philosophical. If this degraded offering is due to Chinese issues, what do you think of it? Do you think this is the price (however small) that western supporters should pay in order to broaden the sport's appeal and following around the world? Or do you think events like these should be withheld until all the host cities/countries are on the same page when it comes to transparency and the demands of western audiences?

hmmm.

When in China...

• Like 1

Also... appears that the helicopter isn't flying as low as it usually does. If the Chinese 'civil aviation' regime is anything like the western one, special permits would be required for the pilot to fly below 500ft, and notifications made to other airspace users of the low flying activities for the event itself. I've been told by people who have been flying in China that, generally speaking, photography of the surface is not permitted below 10,000ft so they're pretty strict on that and I wouldn't be surprised if the personnel and machinary were supplied by Chineses authorities rather than their usual person.

9 hours ago, stief said:

This is getting amusing

5a75cf3d58d36_ScreenShot2018-02-03at9_02_35AM.png.dcc9126e606c7241381e2f27010228f7.png5a75cf3c323ce_ScreenShot2018-02-03at9_00_51AM.png.8af3fafe512474df9f463a379d051550.png

The whole Racing page is still a bit fucked-up with that Virtual Eye thing, even now, 5 hrs later.  But after a glass of wine with my Sunday brunch I figured out that scrolling down reveals several nice pics by Pedro Martinez.  And scrolling further more stupid Tweets...

6 hours ago, stief said:

Was anyone able to watch it on the Virtual Eye? Here, Safari on OSX choked, on Chrome Volvo site told me I needed WebGl so to try Firefox, but  even in FireFox nothing happened other than the fans ramped up and Safari needed to be restarted.

Got the Virtual Eye working after trying for 1/2 hour on Win 10 in Chrome and Firefox. At first got the same WebGI bullshit message, then it sort of worked in Firefox. No 2D though, and 3D is a bit beyond my zero gaming knowledge. Then"technical limitations" / censorship took over, or they just stopped it, and it was gone.

And indeed, later when navigating to the Racing/Virtual Eye page, my Firefox completely disappeared spontaneously, several times!!!

Funny thing was that on the Android Virtual App, it was working great, no problem. Fuck up at the start and Mapfre leading, on my 5" screen. Then I discovered I was watching a replay of the Round Hong Kong Race, fuck...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Got the Virtual Eye working after trying for 1/2 hour on Win 10 in Chrome and Firefox. At first got the same WebGI bullshit message, then it sort of worked in Firefox. No 2D though, and 3D is a bit beyond my zero gaming knowledge. Then"technical limitations" / censorship took over, or they just stopped it, and it was gone.

And indeed, later when navigating to the Racing/Virtual Eye page, my Firefox completely disappeared spontaneously, several times!!!

Funny thing was that on the Android Virtual App, it was working great, no problem. Fuck up at the start and Mapfre leading, on my 5" screen. Then I discovered I was watching a replay of the Round Hong Kong Race, fuck...

Thanks for checking. Scrolling only showed pics and tweets from the last leg when I looked earlier. Laughed at the MAPF tease. Never thought to check the iPad's Safari version of the site: now see that it won't even show the Virtual Eye option. Oh well. Brings back memories of all the ranting and bitching we used to do about the Virtual Eye tracker locking up our browsers and spinning the fans to no end. But, the best part of that was how Volodia, Forss, and the Unnamed Benefactor stepped in and gave us some really great trackers, and Geovoile reworked his for this edition. 

Too bad about the Virtual Eye. It's an incredible tool, and the more I read about the work they do, the more impressed I am. Still looking for that promo vid they did of Maui and his brothers morphing into TNZ's AC cat. So easy to forget the steps forward and only see the problems. Especially at the price we have to pay :)

Bottom line is this was an interesting stopover for many of the wrong reasons. Still prefer the CT->AUST->China route over the Arabian->Indian and Malacca straits route. Looking forward to leg 6.

4 hours ago, webdeveloper said:

If this degraded offering is due to Chinese issues, what do you think of it? Do you think this is the price (however small) that western supporters should pay in order to broaden the sport's appeal and following around the world? Or do you think events like these should be withheld until all the host cities/countries are on the same page when it comes to transparency and the demands of western audiences?

Just a thought. Shanghai Sailor pointed out Royalty was present at the opening ceremonies, so security may have been a factor. Live streaming of a terrorist attack might have been too much of a risk for the diplomats to accept

The whole event kicked off with the usual Opening Ceremony but this one had Royalty in attendance. Prince & Princess Michael of Kent were there in Prince Michael’s capacity as Admiral of the Royal Southampton Yacht Club (RSYC) and as part of the celebrations a strategic partnership and reciprocality was announced between RSYC and Nansha Marina Yacht Club, another small example of how the Volvo Ocean Race can build bridges and help sailing in the developing (in sailing terms) world.

http://sailinganarchy.com/2018/02/01/bring-on-the-dancing-girls/

Another juicy rumour...

This just in from an extremely reliable source:

Vestas shipped to NZ Sunday last week.

11 minutes ago, Andalay said:

Another juicy rumour...

That's public knowledge- was announced by VOR.

20 minutes ago, Andalay said:

Another juicy rumour...

Do you know the ship's name, Andalay?

22 hours ago, staysail said:

Today the proam had feeds off the boats involved in the Mr & Mrs Challenge Mr Kenny Fok and his wife on Dongfeng & TTOP respectively. We-chat video feed was coming off both boats and the active viewer figures were over 900,000 and NO I have not typed too many zeros - that is 900k, naturally mostly in China. Just one more graphic example why the VOR is so stupid to ignore this growing and developing nation. Quite why there was no live feed I don't know, perhaps official channels were more problematic to arrange, shame coz there were some great footage too

• Like 1

The "it was this, it was that" specuguessing goes on.

Normally I absorb everything The Fish writes with interest and belief but his piece on Yachts and Yachting is way wide of the mark.

There is no much conjecture round this incident it is hardly worthy of comment. Bob's assumption that as Vestas was on starboard tack they had rights is quite wrong. If the fishing boat was hauling nets or actively fishing then Vestas was most certainly the give way boat.

Even reports from China (where the accident happened) are conflicting with one newspaper quoting the boat as 20 feet long (ED - therefore needing only 1 all round white light) to 22 metres long in another newspaper.

I have even heard reports that China MSA (Maritime Safety Administration) had not been informed of the race transiting China waters giving them no opportunity to issue a 'Notice to Mariners' (yes they do that stuff and they police it) Who was responsible for that? VOR? Mayo and Calder the local organisers? I really don't know.

I think that the suggestion that the boat was perhaps drug running (this is not Australia or the UK) or trafficking illegals (we are not in Lybia or Mexico) is insulting to China. (I think that from the reaction from some of my Chinese friends that read the article).

Regarding questioning what happened to the commercial vessel? Well it probably just return to China and the crew were likely praised for their part in the rescue.

It also has to be reminded that as a person has died litigation may follow and any response from the VOR or Vestas must be carefully considered, not because either party has anything to hide per se but because it is so easy for a statement to be perceived incorrectly in a court of law. EG I have already seen one statement that I advised to clip and not send out as it could be taken entirely the wrong way even though the intention was well meaning.

And things may happen more slowly in China.

I have my own opinions based on what I have gleaned, heard and overheard but they are just that - opinions and would not be right for me to fan the flames further

None of it will change the situation that  a seafarer died and a team has had its chance of winning the race severely impacted on if not gone altogether.

SS

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Do you know the ship's name, Andalay?

No. There were over 60 Ocean going ships that left last Sunday, none of them bound directly to Auckland. 

I'll ask around.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Terrorvision said:

Nothing on the VOR site. SCMP reported on Jan 30th that they would miss the Guangzhou and Auckland legs. No mention of the boat being shipped.

SCMP report says "Vestas co-skippers Charlie Enright and Mark Towill were not at Tuesday’s Volvo Ocean Race news conference at the Race Village at Kai Tak Runway Park, with a spokesman saying they were travelling."

Not aware it was publicised elsewhere, nor was my source.

But WTF I am wrong all the time.

In his dad's wake: James Blake's journey around the world

Sir Peter died in 2001 when he was attacked by pirates in the Amazon.

Blake has been travelling with Vestas 11th Hour Racing and Team AkzoNobel over the first four legs of the race, and will be heading to Auckland from Hong Kong next week on board Turn the Tide on Plastic.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11987314

:huh:

• Like 1

Coast sailors taking on the world inshore and offshore

The news from Stacey Jackson's Vestas 11th Hour Racing team in Hong Kong is they are competing in the short Leg 5 from Hong Kong to Guangzhou which started on Wednesday, instead continuing to effect repairs to their yacht's bow. There is no further news on whether the team will return to racing in the 2017/18 Volvo Ocean Race, or not.

https://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/coast-sailors-taking-on-the-world-inshore-and-offs/3324334/

:blink:

• Like 1

Volvo Ocean Race visits Nansha

Anyway, the fleet arrived in Nansha Marina safely on 01 February. Today was the In-Port Race, a fully-fledged event on the In-Port Scoreboard, and at the top of the table were local heroes Dongfeng Race Team. The race course was laid not in front of Nansha Marina where the attending crowds could actually watch the proceedings, but half a mile or so upriver and on the other side of the Humen Bridge, which did nothing to improve visibility of the event. There were no spectator boats and no media boats because the local marine authority decided, in the wake of the tragic accident involving Vestas 11th Hour Racing on her approach to Hong Kong, that the best way to make everything as safe as possible was to remove all ‘non-racing’ boats from the area – completely ignoring the fact that Vestas’s collision took place in the dark (01.30h), in strong wind (20kts and some) and involved an unlit fishing boat. A far cry from racing in broad daylight in a maximum of 10kts of breeze.

https://www.sail-world.com/news/201754/The-leg-that-never-was

:wacko:

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Link?    ...plse

23 minutes ago, Andalay said:

Nothing on the VOR site. SCMP reported on Jan 30th that they would miss the Guangzhou and Auckland legs. No mention of the boat being shipped.

SCMP report says "Vestas co-skippers Charlie Enright and Mark Towill were not at Tuesday’s Volvo Ocean Race news conference at the Race Village at Kai Tak Runway Park, with a spokesman saying they were travelling."

I’ll  look when I’m back on my laptop- I definitely saw it a few days ago but maybe it wasn’t via VOR if you can’t see it there. 

1 hour ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Link?    ...plse

43 minutes ago, Andalay said:

19 minutes ago, Terrorvision said:

I’ll  look when I’m back on my laptop- I definitely saw it a few days ago but maybe it wasn’t via VOR if you can’t see it there. 

You have pretty good contacts in HK. Maybe you heard it through a glass darkly in some yachtie bar?

2 hours ago, Terrorvision said:

Well I was going to say, pipe the fuck down! sure as hell the 1st I heard that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Terrorvision said:

2 hours ago, animeproblem said:

Well I was going to say, pipe the fuck down! sure as hell the 1st I heard that.

Hey Anime, that seems a bit harsh to me.

I don't really know Terror but by all accounts from people who do he is a good guy. Maybe he heard it somewhere, maybe he didn't. Maybe he was wrong, maybe I was wrong.

Time will tell. Chill man.

1 hour ago, Andalay said:

Hey Anime, that seems a bit harsh to me.

I don't really know Terror but by all accounts from people who do he is a good guy. Maybe he heard it somewhere, maybe he didn't. Maybe he was wrong, maybe I was wrong.

Time will tell. Chill man.

That's polite for Anarchy :-)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Swanno said:

That's polite for Anarchy :-)

Hey, I'm a newbie. I'll learn

• Like 2

6 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

If the fishing boat was hauling nets or actively fishing then Vestas was most certainly the give way boat.

No matter what, they almost certainly violated the colregs rule 6.

But I guess the investigation and the circumstances will decide how much weight this will have according to each vessels responsibility.

For instance; assuming VS11 had correct lights on, and there was no disturbing background light, seen fra the fishing boat, the fishing vessel should be able to recon VS11 on time to avoid the collision, if they had enough maneuverbility (means not engaged in fishing).

And IF they was engaged in fishing; did the fishing vessel have correct lights (green or red on top of white), or was they just light up like a light, powerdriven vessel underway?

Even IF all lights was correct on both boats (assuming the fishing vessel not engaged in fishing), and they both saw each other well on time, the fishing vessel could easily have understated the speed of VS11, and thought there was plenty of time to pass in front of VS11 - because they have probably never seen a sailing vessel going 2-3 times as fast as their own top speed.