Sign in to follow this  
DA-WOODY

Fucking Burrrrrrrrrr Winter 2017-2018

It's a good morning to observe a funny FL thing.

FAWN01-05-18.jpg

20's in the panhandle? That's January. Residents will grumble but deal.

40 in Miami? THE WORLD IS COMING TO AN END!!!!

Miami residents will put on more layers than people in Maine usually need to go outside today.

(And that includes those of us who grew up in Miami but have left.)

2 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Wishe I sawe thisse earliere, you coude telle it wase gonna be bade by Frackie yelling entire forrecaste.                     :)

painfull

give this a listen http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/saskatchewan-winter-too-much-for-one-cbc-radio-listener-1.2840916

context:  "sheila" is sheila coles the recently retired longtime host of the CBC radio one morning show here.  she had mentioned on her show that the weather was going to be very nice rising to the freezing mark in the days ahead...dude wasn't buying it

morning network news is making a big deal about windchill 

guess they havent been following this thread as they still think its a thing :-O

I dont know about the windchill but it SURE LOOKS FUCKING MISERABLE Most Everywhere

can't imagine needing to go to work , much less at a driving or worse an outdoor job

Mailman = Fuck Dat Shit

I have No Suggestions on how to cope

I could NOT take it !!

HA - HA - HA !!!!!!!!!!

I Wouldn't leave for $ 4,900 and a Nanook of the North Outfit

Image result for Nanook of the North

even if I could just sit in Airport Bar

image.jpeg.b6d616f104b9aea57cb78df70e9eb730.jpeg

till I could head home !!

JANUARY 5

Fly into 2018 with this sale.

From San Diego

One-way as low as*

$49

*Restrictions and exclusions apply. 21-day advance purchase required. Seats and days limited. Select markets. Book 1/2-1/25.

m-ehero1-cns-mbs-geo-slice-600x465-20180105.jpg

routing-m-ehero2-cns-600x910-20180105.jpg

Ready for another 

7 hours ago, chester said:

painfull

give this a listen http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/saskatchewan-winter-too-much-for-one-cbc-radio-listener-1.2840916

context:  "sheila" is sheila coles the recently retired longtime host of the CBC radio one morning show here.  she had mentioned on her show that the weather was going to be very nice rising to the freezing mark in the days ahead...dude wasn't buying it

I could have written that script. Poor bugger needs to get out, if you have cabin fever now it's going to be hideous in February. 

It was cold enough yesterday (-4F) that my garage door opener started working erratically. Had to pull the beverages in from the garage. Heat wave on Monday, 37.  

how many living in subfreezing temps

are paying to run a Fridge/Freezer in your house ??

anyone ever adapt to use the chill outside for that ??

Get over it.  It's 9F outside, blowing 21+, windchill -10F, I'm going snowshoeing and will have a blast.  Yesterday I got hot hiking and took off my gloves for the last 10 minutes.  If you exert you stay warm.

2 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

Front porch has leftovers, pies, Tonic and 7 UP in liters.

What we get here

12 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

I store my beer in the garage. Break a case into 6 packs and rotate them into the garage as needed.

13 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

1 hour ago, austin1972 said:

I store my beer in the garage. Break a case into 6 packs and rotate them into the garage as needed.

I assume you do Not mean you rotate !!!;)

19 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

We routinely hang harvested animals in the garage/shop for several days prior to processing.

4 hours ago, bmiller said:

We routinely hang harvested animals in the garage/shop for several days prior to processing.

Is that legal in your state? Most of the hunters I knew in Pennsylvania preferred to shoot them.  I suppose it's humane if you do it right and their neck snaps right away.

41 minutes ago, Point Break said:

(BTW - its purported tp be an IR shot, not snow or frost...but I thought it looked cool).

Reality: frostbitten leaves on my young Galaxy Mango tree.

GalaxyMangow.jpg

I lost 300' of PVC irrigation pipe, and sprinkler stands yesterday morning.... Not pretty.

(And no, I wasn't the idiot who used PVC for irrigation pipe. It was here when I bought the place. Slowly replacing it w/ ABS as it fails. )

2 hours ago, Point Break said:

Things are....odd....this winter.

26168176_781498202035955_542780286082096670_n.jpg

thats pretty Kool

I just picked up a pretty HighEnd BOSCH IR Video Kamera

It is designed for Really Secured places

I dont have such a place So I intend to bring it Mobile and see the world in a New way

As well as pointing it into clear Night Skys

Pix / Vidz to follow

bosch-nai-90022-aaa-ip-camera.jpg

3 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

I lost 300' of PVC irrigation pipe, and sprinkler stands yesterday morning.... Not pretty.

(And no, I wasn't the idiot who used PVC for irrigation pipe. It was here when I bought the place. Slowly replacing it w/ ABS as it fails. )

Why don't you guys blow those lines out before a freeze?

The WEDGE Today = Newport Beach CA.

FML

26221027_1534704723252192_6133879400732201166_o.jpg

On 1/7/2018 at 5:20 PM, bmiller said:

Why don't you guys blow those lines out before a freeze?

Because the water is used to keep the trees/fruit from freezing.

Clearly, the cold was more powerful than the water in this case. I'm used to losing a sprinkler head or a ball valve or 2 every year. I just found another shot valve in a completely different system. (3 wells, 4 different "branches") Off to the store I go to get 12 ball valves, a box of threaded ends, and assorted couplings..... I have a pile of pipe that was left here by the previous owner.

2 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Clearly, the cold was more powerful than the water in this case. I'm used to losing a sprinkler head or a ball valve or 2 every year. I just found another shot valve in a completely different system. (3 wells, 4 different "branches") Off to the store I go to get 12 ball valves, a box of threaded ends, and assorted couplings..... I have a pile of pipe that was left here by the previous owner.

I have done PVC testing

leaving some out in the DAGO Sun for like 10+ years

resultts Much more Brittle

1st band of storms - results are in 

doesn't take much to stick a fork in a DAGO Day

26232453_1534850376570960_4922613190634336155_o.jpg

26757986_1534942913228373_6815906255304008027_o.jpg

42 minutes ago, DA-WOODY said:

I have done PVC testing

leaving some out in the DAGO Sun for like 10+ years

resultts Much more Brittle

I watched a crow land on a 5' tall stand pipe sprinkler head last year. It (the pvc stand pipe, not the crow) snapped off right above the ball valve.

On 1/6/2018 at 11:13 AM, barleymalt said:

It was cold enough yesterday (-4F) that my garage door opener started working erratically. Had to pull the beverages in from the garage. Heat wave on Monday, 37.  

had a friend from the dakotas,  she was saying there were days where they were out in shorts and t-shirts in 0*...  

i was like, sure, must have been -40* the week before...

"YEAAAAHHHHHH"

it's all relative, like the heat..

Just now, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

had a friend from the dakotas,  she was saying there were days where they were out in shorts and t-shirts in 0*...  

i was like, sure, must have been -40* the week before...

"YEAAAAHHHHHH"

it's all relative, like the heat..

I think it was 60 minutes, that showed a scene in Antarctica, where a bunch of Scientists and Researchers, of both sexes, climb bare ass naked, out of a steaming Hot Tub, and run outside in very low sub zero temps for short time. Those fuckers are crazy!!!

5 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

i fucking hate pvc,    just found a 4" ball valve that shattered on the rainwater collection system, fortunately it was on an overflow so no loss of water, but I won't be able to collect any...  the important thing is to protect the pump, it's sitting in a shed where  i run a 60w incandescent 24/7 till it warms up.

9 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

my current ice problem,  I'm out of limes..

13652.rum.jpg

dick   ;)

today I wen to lunch  without a coat  it is a balmy 40 degrees

3 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

i fucking hate pvc,    just found a 4" ball valve that shattered on the rainwater collection system, fortunately it was on an overflow so no loss of water, but I won't be able to collect any...  the important thing is to protect the pump, it's sitting in a shed where  i run a 60w incandescent 24/7 till it warms up.

When I win powerball, I will replace all PVC plumbing, and irrigation with either ABS, or bronze/copper. I will also hire an immigrant caretaker @ $15.00 PMH plus room and board. I will also move back to the Caribbean for two quarters of the year.

1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

When I win powerball, I will replace all PVC plumbing, and irrigation with either ABS, or bronze/copper. I will also hire an immigrant caretaker @ $15.00 PMH plus room and board. I will also move back to the Caribbean for two quarters of the year.

Snowbirding from Florida to the Caribbean? That's pretty cushy.

13 hours ago, IStream said:

Snowbirding from Florida to the Caribbean? That's pretty cushy.

One grows fond of the finer things in life, especially as one ages. ;)

or should this be in the tie thread ?

Tue Day in DAGO ... Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr (no it's Not warm)

San Diego, CA
Tuesday 10:00 AM
Mostly Cloudy
Mostly Cloudy
°F | °C
Precipitation: 0%
Humidity: 61%
Wind: 1 mph

Tue
Partly Cloudy
67°
53°
Wed
Partly Cloudy
71°
54°
Thu
Partly Cloudy
69°
55°
Fri
Cloudy
61°
51°
Sat
Sunny
60°
45°
Sun
Partly Cloudy
62°
47°
Mon
Partly Cloudy
63°
52°
Tue
Partly Cloudy
64°
50°

KNOT Tue Day in DAGO 

5 minutes ago, Morgan Crewed said:

How cold is it you ask? Just check the temp on your instrument cluster.

Cold 4 below.JPG

ROTFLMAO!!

This Evening

Cold front through last night

17 deg F this am in LA 7 deg with the wind.

I am ready for this shit to be done.

How's it on the coast Rasper?

I got up and went outside at about 3AM to check the faucets on out piling raised fish shack. Wind just flows right under it and the house itself is pretty drafty. I had the central heat turned off and just one of those fake fireplace electric heaters on in the bedroom and slept great. Outside it was sleeting pretty good and accumulating at a pretty good rate. Might have been some light snow mixed in but I wasn't going to stick around to see. Here is what greeted me at 10 AM. I might have to go find and old flip flop to use as my window ice scraper!

kKPMCPhs.jpg

Ha ! same here. I ain't moving till that's melted!

Lots to do inside today.

Having lived in Denver and Canada its amazing how soon we adapt! (or De-adapt)

Funny thing is that about 6 counties and Mobile have closed the schools, made that decision yesterday! I remember having a snow cave in a 8' tall snow drift on the side of the road to wait for the school bus when I lived in Rochester NY. Kids are pussies these days, and yes I had to walk uphill both ways to the bus stop...  Wearing these,

Image result for flip flop ice scraper

20 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

I got up and went outside at about 3AM to check the faucets on out piling raised fish shack. Wind just flows right under it and the house itself is pretty drafty. I had the central heat turned off and just one of those fake fireplace electric heaters on in the bedroom and slept great. Outside it was sleeting pretty good and accumulating at a pretty good rate. Might have been some light snow mixed in but I wasn't going to stick around to see. Here is what greeted me at 10 AM. I might have to go find and old flip flop to use as my window ice scraper!

kKPMCPhs.jpg

If you have rubbing alcohol and a squirt bottle, just put a 50/50 mix of rubbing alcohol and water into the bottle and spray away. It'll melt that in no time.

Best thing to use to de-ice a windshleld

3 Beers 

What you say ....... Yes

drink them before you go to bed

and then in the morning just ...........

1 hour ago, Rasputin22 said:

Funny thing is that about 6 counties and Mobile have closed the schools, made that decision yesterday! I remember having a snow cave in a 8' tall snow drift on the side of the road to wait for the school bus when I lived in Rochester NY. Kids are pussies these days, and yes I had to walk uphill both ways to the bus stop...  Wearing these,

Shit Rasper, y'all were lucky. Just a little to the west, in NW Pennsylvania we had to walk uphill both ways to school, no buses, and barefoot!  If we were real lucky our mother let us wear pants instead of shorts, but that didn't happen too often.

These damn kids nowadays have no idea how good they have it.

1 minute ago, Ed Lada said:

Shit Rasper, y'all were lucky. Over in NW Pennsylvania we had to walk uphill both ways to school, no buses, and barefoot!  If we were real lucky our mother let us wear pants instead of shorts, but that didn't happen often.

what's wrong with shorts everyday ???

Ya DAGO SUCKS, 

Today

2 minutes ago, DA-WOODY said:

BdcM4jSCEAAjYoc.jpg

Yes.   Tho,  I wore jeans on the bike over to gym last couple nites.  Took me awhile to find them - got nothing but shorts laying around.  

14 minutes ago, blunderfull said:

Yes.   Tho,  I wore jeans on the bike over to gym last couple nites.  Took me awhile to find them - got nothing but shorts laying around.  

I wore long pants twice this month....and shoes & socks once...WTF!

22 minutes ago, Point Break said:

I wore long pants twice this month....and shoes & socks once...WTF!

Not a good sign :mellow:

I pressure tested the citrus irrigation yesterday.... After losing 12 valves to the freezes.... Lost two more. Brought one in to the store to make sure I had the correct one, and the manager says: "Oh! Did you lose that in the freeze?" Yes says I. "They had a recall on those valves back in October. I can replace that for you for free!" Great. Says I. Can you replace the other 12 valves that blew up, and the 17 trees I lost as a result?

"We can replace the valves, but not the trees.....".....

So unless I sue the valve co. for the loss of the trees, I get $260.00 worth of valves replaced, which I still have to spend my time doing the labor, and supplying the adhesive, and etc.......

I hate PVC..... Have I ever mentioned that before?

I probably have about a mile of PVC strung around the property and the only problems I've had have been related to neighbor boys on ATV's hitting them. Yes, plural.

They're good boys and fix what they break.

DAGO NOW

• Downvote 1

Damn you SoCal & Floriduh people are pussies.

60 is too cold to do anything? That's nearly the height of summer here.

9 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Damn you SoCal & Floriduh people are pussies.

60  65 is too cold to do anything? That's nearly the height of summer here.

fixed

DENVER NOW :o

Don't they have any Motorcycles ??

Woody that's just a nice winter day. 

Ha, I just noticed that camera is I25 in my old fire district. Spent way too many days on that highway.

2 hours ago, bmiller said:

Woody that's just a nice winter day. 

Ha, I just noticed that camera is I25 in my old fire district. Spent way too many days on that highway.

not where I come from

oh Hell No, that's a Mess

around these parts if the road becomes damp it's Wrecks EverywherAnd I Kold roght now

temp 64 humidity 70% Burrrrrrrr

I want my 80's back !!!

• Downvote 1

well it Kold here 42 at the moment

Fuck tnis Shit !!!!

Skools Klosed Today in mountain areas

WTF with closing Skools ??

Never once when I went to Skool

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155120200011175&id=607596174&set=a.10150211551046175.316282.607596174&source=57&refid=52&ref=content_filter&__tn__=EH-R

Crazy warm winter this season, finally had our first sub zero night. The rest of the week is looking more seasonable, single digit lows and sunny cold days in the 20s and 30s.

1 hour ago, bmiller said:

Crazy warm winter this season, finally had our first sub zero night. The rest of the week is looking more seasonable, single digit lows and sunny cold days in the 20s and 30s.

80 plus today

https://www.wunderground.com/weather/us/fl/key-west/33040

We were 65 at noon yesterday, basking in a Pineapple Express. In the time it took me to drive out to the muddy mess I call a farm, get some stuff done and get back on the road to home, it dropped to 43. So the warm hit was short but it was still fun to roll down the windows and crank the music for a bit.

87f and slightly humid today. Of course today is the day I set aside to make 50 lbs. of sausage.... I could be out pruning the grape vines.

Minutes ago it Fucking Rained right on top of me House

To the point of making mud splatters on the Skylights, well actually clean spots w mud rings about 1/4" in diameter

like freckles eventually the hope is that the clean spots will grow together 

BUT Not because it rains that much, Just that the drops will hit the dirt spots instead of the clean spots again

If not I'm happy to need to go up with a hose and wash em off

I will NOT go wash them or my Vehicles off as "That" will make it actually rain and that's the last thing I want to have happen !!!

Sunny and 72 degrees F, in Middletown, CT, when I left work an hour ago!!!!  Loving it!  But, it's going to cool down and rain for most of the next 4 days....

6 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Sunny and 72 degrees F, in Middletown, CT, when I left work an hour ago!!!!  Loving it!  But, it's going to cool down and rain for most of the next 4 days....

Do me a favor one of these days, wouldja Billy..... Go down to just over the Durham line on 17, and get a grinder at Lino's Market. If they have a fresh Cannoli, get one of those to.... There's about 12 different types of sausage you can have put on an Italian Combo if you go there on an off hour. They also have artichokes almost year 'round. The old man loves 'em, so he keeps them in stock.

I miss the old real sandwich/grocery stores..... They don't exist here.

17 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Do me a favor one of these days, wouldja Billy..... Go down to just over the Durham line on 17, and get a grinder at Lino's Market. If they have a fresh Cannoli, get one of those to.... There's about 12 different types of sausage you can have put on an Italian Combo if you go there on an off hour. They also have artichokes almost year 'round. The old man loves 'em, so he keeps them in stock.

I miss the old real sandwich/grocery stores..... They don't exist here.

I will try to remember that, but I rarely find myself anywere near that 'hood.  A couple of times I went down 17, then connected to other state roads while travelling from work in Middletown, to the Subaru dealer in Branford, but have since found it's quicker and much less hassle now, to go up 9 to 91 south, to 95 north.  We love artichokes, but have not seen any looking decent enough to pay their outrageous prices, in over a year now.  Castorville, CA is the universal center of artichoke farming. Years ago, Missus BB was running a meeting there and brought home the bestest artichokes we had ever tasted, bar none!!! It still boggles the mind how many people you meet that have never had one in their entire life!!

5 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

I will try to remember that, but I rarely find myself anywere near that 'hood.  A couple of times I went down 17, then connected to other state roads while travelling from work in Middletown, to the Subaru dealer in Branford, but have since found it's quicker and much less hassle now, to go up 9 to 91 south, to 95 north.  We love artichokes, but have not seen any looking decent enough to pay their outrageous prices, in over a year now.  Castorville, CA is the universal center of artichoke farming. Years ago, Missus BB was running a meeting there and brought home the bestest artichokes we had ever tasted, bar none!!! It still boggles the mind how many people you meet that have never had one in their entire life!!

After eating plenty, I had a Bus route long ago in a past life going past open fields in Rancho Peñasquitos where Wild ones would grow

They had flowers that were beautiful

Related image

One day I stopped to quickly Grab a Huge One

Fuck That Stupid Idea !!!!

Cactus is like Wool in comparison 

Puttin it another way - It's like Loving Bacon & running after a Wild Bore 

Under Things you Only do Once !!! 

Wild Artichokes: Very Few People Have Their Best Interests at Heart ...

articles.latimes.com/1987-10-04/local/me-33133_1_botanists
Oct 4, 1987 - Orange County historian and author Jim Sleeper once asked a botanist friend if wild artichokes, also known as artichoke thistles, were an ... plant is not native to California but apparently got a start before the turn of the century, when edible artichoke plants were imported from Mediterranean countries for ...

Artichoke thistle - IPCW Plant Report – California Invasive Plant Council

www.cal-ipc.org/resources/library/publications/ipcw/report38/
Scientific name, Cynara cardunculus. Common name. artichoke thistle, cardoon, desert artichoke, wild artichoke. Synonymous scientific names. none known. Closely related California natives. 0. Closely related California non-native