A second Italian syndicate have signalled their intention to challenge for the America's Cup.

Sardinia-based Adelasia of Torres announced on Wednesday their hope of being in Auckland in 2021.

They are fronted by Renato Azara who runs the Mediterranean island's major freight company as well as a maritime agency that services the needs of super yachts.

He will have Duccio Colombi at his side. Colombi has won 11 Italian championships in different sailing classes, two European championships and four world championships.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/99615398/second-italian-challenge-looms-for-2021-americas-cup

The Challenger of Record Luna Rossa Challenge will be joined by another Italian team at the 36th America’s Cup, according to local sources.

The Sardinia-based Adelasia of Torres team looks set to throw its name into the mix when entries for the Auckland showdown officially open on January 1, La Nuova Sardegna reported earlier this month.

https://www.boatinternational.com/yachts/americas-cup/second-italian-challenger-emerges-for-americas-cup-2021--35637?utm_content=buffer9a589&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

• Downvote 1

It looks like we really have a second Italian challenger!

Renato Azara says it is a go, and that they have the money for it! Article below in italian, from the "unione sarda" journal.

https://www.facebook.com/adelasiaditorressailingteam/photos/a.210677389438795.1073741828.208597996313401/382428235597042/?type=3&theater

Really, really happy :) Adelasia di Torres is a great project, managed on the sailing side by a Great sailor and gread guy (Duccio Colombi).

Few key news for non italian speakers:

• Target Team of 170 people, with 90 going forward after 2021 (for subsequent 5 years)
  • Very "sardinia" oriented team, which will have some kind of sponsorship from the region, but mainly Private backers
  • Boat to be built in Olbia
  • Team headquarter in La Maddalena
  • Sailing team in progress; lots of sailors from Sardinia; management of sailing side by Duccio Colombi, who has worked for coordingating the sailing project for the las couple of years
  • Project goal is to "build" a better maritime and technology value chain in Sardinia, in a Sustainable developement scenario.

Michele

• Like 3

On 5/18/2018 at 7:32 AM, 17mika said:

Few key news for non italian speakers:

• Target Team of 170 people, with 90 going forward after 2021 (for subsequent 5 years)
  • Very "sardinia" oriented team, which will have some kind of sponsorship from the region, but mainly Private backers
  • Boat to be built in Olbia
  • Team headquarter in La Maddalena
  • Sailing team in progress; lots of sailors from Sardinia; management of sailing side by Duccio Colombi, who has worked for coordingating the sailing project for the las couple of years
  • Project goal is to "build" a better maritime and technology value chain in Sardinia, in a Sustainable developement scenario.

Michele

Very encouraging hews.  I spent some extremely enjoyable time in Sardinia at the 2010 at the Louis Vuitton Trophy La Maddelana. Superb waterfront location, at one point a US Navy base at the old ship basin from the days of Admiral Lord Nelson.  LV event was the first for a new complex developed from the old Admiralty shipyards. There was an if-we-build-it-they-will-come approach back then that wasn't getting any traction and the superb old stone wall-lined basin was conspicuously empty. Construction was just getting under way for homes and apartments. Dunno what's happened in the intervening eight years.  

RNZYS has been conspicuously silent about challengers but if Adelasia di Torres is a starter they have 42 days to make it formal.  That is unless they want to pitch in an extra one mil for a late entry.

The clock is ticking!

RNZYS said it will let the challengers decide when to declear there intention to challenge. They may announce after the entry date has passed.

No other challenge has laid it all on the table like this hope they get to Auckland and are competitive. 

7 hours ago, Terry Hollis said:

Looks to be a very serious effort.

If this is the team P$B was referring to when he suggested a second Italian Challenger, then it’s possible he knew something ‘Sardinia’ about the plan. 

Am a bit skeptical too but would love to see this happen.

Sigh ... "team principal" races a second-hand mini-maxi ... crew to be supplied by a sailing school in Milan ... there are no serious boat builders in Sardinia, let alone with carbon experience ... but it doesn't really matter, since they're also planning to spin their own fiber ... they"ll set up shop in La Maddalena, which sadly has been abandoned and is in the same state as KJ saw eight years ago ...

SR, please get back when you find a whisper about this in the established Italian sailing press

^

I haven't the slightest fucking idea what that means.

Great news. But they said they still need money. Never a good sign. If indeed $65mE is their budget, it is concerning that Ineos has $150mE. 65mE is a lot of money. something is really wrong with the cost of this race. No wonder there are only 4 participants.

On 5/21/2018 at 5:01 PM, Xlot said:

SR, please get back when you find a whisper about this in the established Italian sailing press

Still holds. So far just FareVela re-printing S-W's piece, and only adding a non-committal question mark ...

Read a tweet from scuttlebutt from this.    A lot in there about how great a location Sardinia is for super yachts and how great it will be for super yachts if this team wins the Cup.  Gee, great.  

I will differ to X-Lot on the seriousness of this challenge which right now doesn’t appear to be very serious.

WetHog  :ph34r:

This seems very fishy to me I looked at the website https://www.adelasiaditorres.com/en/

and all the text was garbage saying repeatedly 

'Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry’s standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book. It has survived not only five centuries, but also the leap into electronic typesetting, remaining essentially unchanged. It was popularised in the 1960s with the release of Letraset sheets containing Lorem Ipsum passages, and more recently with desktop publishing software like Aldus PageMaker including versions of Lorem Ipsum.'

So either I have a nasty virus on my PC, the site has been hacked or it's total scam. RNZYS need to clarify this ASAP.

Doing no favours to anyone like that.

I know no more than anybody else whether this challenge is real but you will see the "Lorem Ipsum" text on many websites. It's standard place filler for graphic and website designers. So someone has been given a website layout to implement but the person who is supposed to fill in the text hasn't yet got around to it yet. It happens all the time.

18 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

@WetHog, I read it that you and @Xlot agree.
This challenge is not more than a rumor at the moment, right?

No idea how serious this challenge is, I will differ to X-lot on that, but what I read reminds me of previous challenges that came out of nowhere and turned into nothing.  Suspect reason for the challenge, in this case the plight of the super yacht, coming from a location or region that doesn't have the resources to back a proper AC challenge.  Greencom Racing pops into my head as a comparison.

WetHog  :ph34r: 

9 hours ago, dogwatch said:

I know no more than anybody else whether this challenge is real but you will see the "Lorem Ipsum" text on many websites. It's standard place filler for graphic and website designers. So someone has been given a website layout to implement but the person who is supposed to fill in the text hasn't yet got around to it yet. It happens all the time.

Thanks for that, first time I've encountered it.

After the initial excitement from sw article, I have to say I agree wit xlot and others.

Let's wait and see if they reallly have the money.

All I've got from friends in the past days is that they should have some financial backing from sponsors in the emirates, but nothing is fully locked-in yet.

Strange one - If the COR wasn't already LR, this team would fit the MO perfectly...

That is hard to follow but it sounds like they have not in fact entered so far, nor do they have a headline sponsor.

"I hope to close by June 30th, but if we fail we will say that we will sign ourselves later. Moreover, I think that it will also be possible without penalty ".

Let's go back to who could put the money.

"We are looking for a partner who shares our challenge, our economic-social plan. We are looking for sponsors that do not bring only liquidity, but technology, logistics, innovation. 

Not for the first time, what strikes me is: the guy is some sort of industrialist, owns a mini-maxi and has won a few regattas - and yet he's as convincing as a third-rate used car salesman ...

1 hour ago, Xlot said:

Not for the first time, what strikes me is: the guy is some sort of industrialist, owns a mini-maxi and has won a few regattas - and yet he's as convincing as a third-rate used car salesman ...

One article suggested he owns the biggest shipping business in and out of Sardinia? Something about a Super Yacht servicing business too?

No big $B but he may know some and the ‘Qatar’ angle is mildly interesting.

1 hour ago, Xlot said:

He convinced RG :)

at https://www.sail-world.com/news/206184/Gladwells-Line--The-Week-in-Review

Firstly we were advised on Wednesday morning that the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron has accepted a fourth Challenge for the 36th America's Cup.

The Sardinian Challenge has always been talked of as one of the weaker potential teams, unlikely to go ahead etc. So it was a pleasant surprise to see the release, this morning, confirming the Challenge had been approved and accepted.

nothing submitted yet....this from Jack Griffin: 

Adelasia di Torres - A Little Too Much Enthusiam

An announcement from the team last week saying that their challenge had been submitted and accepted was published by other sailing websites. I called team leader Renato Azara and media volunteer Colin Squire to clear up some questions. I learned that the challenge has not yet been submitted, but the team continues to search for sponsors. They hope to challenge before the end of the Challenging Period on 30 June.

1 hour ago, Robsi524 said:

nothing submitted yet....this from Jack Griffin: 

Adelasia di Torres - A Little Too Much Enthusiam

An announcement from the team last week saying that their challenge had been submitted and accepted was published by other sailing websites. I called team leader Renato Azara and media volunteer Colin Squire to clear up some questions. I learned that the challenge has not yet been submitted, but the team continues to search for sponsors. They hope to challenge before the end of the Challenging Period on 30 June.

Thanks. This is the most definitive indication we've received yet.  News that is tied to some names involved with the Sailing Team.

Seems RG jumped the gun on this one.

9 hours ago, rh2600 said:

Amateur hour over in Sardinia...

Well, Richard followed up on my interview of Squire and Azara, as I reported in my newsletter, but he still manages to spell Azzare (sic) incorrectly.

15 minutes ago, JackGriffin said:

Well, Richard followed up on my interview of Squire and Azara, as I reported in my newsletter, but he still manages to spell Azzare (sic) incorrectly.

Thanks for that reach out and interview.

1 hour ago, JackGriffin said:

To be fair Richard was using the spelling provided by the 'official' press release... as I said - amateur hour (albeit via Suffolk this time) ;-)

17 hours ago, Xlot said:

Fulsome and enlightening explanation from RG.  Good to see the followup but it should have happened sooner.

From everything we know now it's tough to believe we'll see a challenger from Sardinia, as attractive as that hope may be.

With just 17 days remaining to front up with the initial million bucks to enter, note the following:

1. No mention of a challenging  YC to host the team.

2. No marketing or PR team in place, just an ill-informed British magazine publisher with dreams of riches and glory who is woefully out of his depth on matters AC.

3. Team website and Facebook moribund.

4. No top level sailing names, designers, engineers, etc.

Not a recipe destined to seduce a $100 million big-name sponsor.

"Amateur hour" indeed. 

And yet ...... ya only gotta hook one big fish!

13 hours ago, KiwiJoker said:

With just 17 days remaining to front up with the initial million bucks to enter, note the following:

1. No mention of a challenging  YC to host the team

Other reports have “Club nautico Arzachena.”

example http://m.lanuovasardegna.it/olbia/cronaca/2018/06/12/news/con-un-polo-della-nautica-la-sfida-all-america-s-cup-1.16957822

10 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Thanks. That advances things a leetle bit.  Fighting through the Google Translate verbiage thickets it seems Club Nautica Arachena is part of a Memorandum of Understanding between various parties to mount a Sardinian challenge.  It includes the super yacht yard and brokerage Navigo Toscana. 

Your link from the media source in Olbia  appears to say the challenge will be headquarterd in Olbia with operations in La Maddalena, "using part of the abandoned structures after the missed G8 summit. For now only rumors, but relaunched by specialized magazines of sailing in America and Great Britain."  Now there is a basis for confidence.

The website for Circolo Nautica Arachena doesn't appear to have been updated since 2013.  Their Facebook page is a bit more lively.  Various championships mostly dinghy events,  have been held there in the past but there is zero mention of an annual regatta required of Challengers by the Deed of Giftl

They make much of the fact they have been communicating with the Challenger of Record and nothing about contacting the Squadron, although other reports suggest the team has.

Seems like a heavy dose of wishful thinking here, long on rumours and short on facts.

11 hours ago, KiwiJoker said:

The website for Circolo Nautica Arachena doesn't appear to have been updated since 2013.  Their Facebook page is a bit more lively.  Various championships mostly dinghy events,  have been held there in the past but there is zero mention of an annual regatta required of Challengers by the Deed of Giftl

Correct.

They may need to instead convince a ‘real’ Club to file the Challenge.

Azara has a Twitter account, seemed fairly active last time I looked for it. It may be worth following if anyone cares to try that. @azara_renato