• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
GulfIslander

Hypothermia Survivor Account

There's a lot to comment on here. Clearly, an official investigation is called for. Was she really diagnosed with a terminal illness, and if so by whom? She may have a mental illness. Her family and friends need to be interviewed.

Fortunately, she didn't choose a gun to end her life.

Suicides jumping from the ferries happen periodically. They don't normally take the time to strip like this one. Her survival is nothing short of miraculous - survival time in these waters is usually measured in minutes. Story said she was religious - I imagine she is extremely hard core now. :D

A local restauranter - Jurgen Schulte (the best chef I have ever known) was sailing across Georgia Strait once and heard cries. He found and rescued a guy who had fallen overboard when singlehanding on autopilot. Talk about luck. He did up a "My Hero" plaque as a thank you which Jurgen hung in his restaurant.

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

A local restauranter - Jurgen Schulte (the best chef I have ever known) was sailing across Georgia Strait once and heard cries. He found and rescued a guy who had fallen overboard when singlehanding on autopilot. Talk about luck. He did up a "My Hero" plaque as a thank you which Jurgen hung in his restaurant.

Wow, that is incredible luck.  Amazing.

"In those first few hours in the water, DeRyan had been lying on her back, meditating and doing a breathing exercise to stay buoyant. She focused on keeping her core warm so that the heat would circulate to her extremities."

Isn't that the Wim Hof method for cold water swimming?

Had a friend who had a cabin on a San Juan island next to Jim Whitakers cabin, (first American to climb Mt Everest 1963),  She remembers him "spending hours" in the water to acclimatize to the cold as part of his training for the climb.  This is in the same area as this woman's ordeal.

3 hours ago, eric1207 said:

Had a friend who had a cabin on a San Juan island next to Jim Whitakers cabin, (first American to climb Mt Everest 1963),  She remembers him "spending hours" in the water to acclimatize to the cold as part of his training for the climb.  This is in the same area as this woman's ordeal.

The water is typically colder in that part of the Salish Sea than in the middle of the Strait of Georgia where this happened.

There was a previous thread on this the day after it happened: http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/194331-pnw-mob-survives-5-hours-exposure/

Here is a quote from Dash 34 in post # 16:

"According to windy.com sea temperature is 10.2 degrees C at the moment.  According to this:

http://www.ussartf.org/cold_water_survival.htm

survival time is up to 6 hours in that temperature.  Being female, the survivor may have been protected by a thicker sub-cutaneous layer of fat.  She must have been pretty near the end at 5 hours."

I've been taking some long kiting runs out into Table Bay in Cape Town the last few days, trying to get close to some of the VOR boats, and it is scary stuff because there is noone to rescue you, and if my kite collapses (as sometimes happens when a valve comes loose), then I'm done for, as the water is very cold and the wind is offshore. Even with a good wetsuit and a lifejacket, I don't imagine I would survive.

17 hours ago, Bull City said:

There's a lot to comment on here. Clearly, an official investigation is called for. Was she really diagnosed with a terminal illness, and if so by whom? She may have a mental illness. Her family and friends need to be interviewed.

Fortunately, she didn't choose a gun to end her life.

What kind of investigation do you think is necessary? There is obviously a police report on it probably stating exactly what is said in the article (where do you think the news got the info) All medical records are private. She tried to kill her self due to a medical/mental condition. So it’s not a criminal matter unless you want to charge her with attempted suicide or some sort of negligence. I would doubt they will charge her with much as she was mentally ill and in crisis. Might send a bill for deployment of resources.

@ the Dragon, as a wise kiter once advised me while at foot of the Golden Gate with the tide going out, a waterproof, handheld vhf is pretty cheap, and the personal EPIRB's are pretty reasonable too.

3 hours ago, Cape_taco12 said:

What kind of investigation do you think is necessary? There is obviously a police report on it probably stating exactly what is said in the article (where do you think the news got the info) All medical records are private. She tried to kill her self due to a medical/mental condition. So it’s not a criminal matter unless you want to charge her with attempted suicide or some sort of negligence. I would doubt they will charge her with much as she was mentally ill and in crisis. Might send a bill for deployment of resources.

I think the investigation comment was in regard to the faulty "terminal illness" diagnosis.

Who, upon receiving that sort of info, would not seek a second and third opinion before offing themselves?

3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I think the investigation comment was in regard to the faulty "terminal illness" diagnosis.

Who, upon receiving that sort of info, would not seek a second and third opinion before offing themselves?

Someone skeptical of modern medicine - as per the linked article.

Holy shit.  

The most shocking news came when doctors told DeRyan her previous terminal diagnosis was wrong. She was in perfect health.