• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
nacradriver

So Waht is Al Franken going to tell us today?

He is resigning, tells the GOP to puck off and says he'll resigned when they dump Moore, comes out of the closet so he can debunk all the allegations, or that he is reviving Stuart Smiley

I mean after all..."Denial ain't just a river in Egypt!" and "You're only as sick as your secrets."

Just now, Bus Driver said:

Fine with me.

Oh I figured it would be. I don't think it will work though. If the economy is doing well the DEM marketing scheme of "we're the non-sexist party" will fall on deaf ears.

44 minutes ago, Movable Ballast said:

Not what you've said in the past...

When in the past has Franken been in this situation?

27 minutes ago, saxdog said:

Franken just manned-up and took responsibility for his behavior. What member of the GOP has ever done that?

Manned up my ass. He was forced out by his own party. 30 DEM senate members were on his shit. Sacrificial lamb to the next round of elections.

59 minutes ago, saxdog said:

Franken just manned-up and took responsibility for his behavior. What member of the GOP has ever done that?

Giant Orange Perverts now own their title as the party of amorality and sexual predators.  

1 hour ago, Movable Ballast said:

If the economy is doing well the DEM marketing scheme of "we're the non-sexist party" will fall on deaf ears.

This shits only coming out because the economy has been good for a bit and women realize that don't have to put up with this shit.

7 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

This shits only coming out because the economy has been good for a bit and women realize that don't have to put up with this shit.

Nope - I really think this is a reaction to the pussy-grabber in chief. Da wimin-folk are pissed off.

5 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Nope - I really think this is a reaction to the pussy-grabber in chief. Da wimin-folk are pissed off.

That's definitely a factor too. I think if it were the job market of late 2008 you wouldn't see the storys from Hollywood, Wall Street, etc. people will eat shit for a job when times are tough. When the labor market is tight for employers people get to tell the boss he's a creep and people will listen. There's also something with the scale of it though - Fox News crumbled because of the shear size and volume of the payouts and a new boss came in who realized the networks a joke and the audience dying.

23 minutes ago, hermetic said:

he should have said:

I am announcing my resignation from the senate, effective on the date that the records of all the payouts for previous complaints are made public.

This.

1 hour ago, Saorsa said:

Nixon

Are you fucking kidding?

Nixon only resigned to avoid certain impeachment - he even made reference to doing it because "his power base in congress was gone".

He never admitted what he did was wrong.

8 minutes ago, cmilliken said:

I like Franken.  It's a shame what he did.  He's a very smart guy who did some very dumb stuff.

And the results so far are backwards- admit and apologize and lose your job.  Obstruct and deny, keep your job.  And what is the lesson, apart from Roger Stone having a field day?

What I can't believe in all of this is how many of these juvenile, predatory assholes there are out there.

To the best of my knowledge I have never known anyone like them in my personal life. I knew guys who would do things like that Franken pic - when I was 12 years old - but as a mature adult? Did he think he was being amusing?

Just now, badlatitude said:

I think Franken was railroaded, no one should have to resign without an ethics investigation, and he should not have resigned before Moore dropped out or Trump resigns for the same reasons.

Once Moore gets elected Franken will walk this back

For better or for worse, the Democrats will become the party of American values. 

It hurts in the short term. No tit-for-tat resignations or quid-pro-quo, just leadership in stressful times. Balancing the budget, paying down the debt, investing in citizens and our future. Protecting the environment and working for justice.

Let the GOP choose their own path.

14 minutes ago, Amati said:

And the results so far are backwards- admit and apologize and lose your job.  Obstruct and deny, keep your job.  And what is the lesson, apart from Roger Stone having a field day?

Truth.

13 minutes ago, Amati said:

conyers hasn't apologized, and franken certainly didn't apologize today.

the party threw them under the bus

11 minutes ago, phillysailor said:

For better or for worse, the Democrats will become the party of American values. 

It hurts in the short term. No tit-for-tat resignations or quid-pro-quo, just leadership in stressful times. Balancing the budget, paying down the debt, investing in citizens and our future. Protecting the environment and working for justice.

I agree, no one is irreplaceable

8 minutes ago, hermetic said:

Franken apologized to the first woman who came out- and You’re right, Conyers didn’t.  I can’t remember the name of the Libertarian on MSNBC who got fired, but he had admitted, apologized, got help, changed his ways and still was punished way after all that.

Philly pointed out that it’s going to hurt for a while.....

Democrats will rue the day they drummed Franken out of office, and I think it will be soon.... They made a huge mistake doing this before the Alabama election, and before Mueller's investigation is concluded.

They should have sat down, and shut up for once..... But no. Democrats enjoy cutting off their own noses to spite their face.

5 minutes ago, Amati said:

Franken apologized to the first woman who came out- and You’re right, Conyers didn’t.  I can’t remember the name of the Libertarian on MSNBC who got fired, but he had admitted, apologized, got help, changed his ways and still was punished way after all that.

Philly pointed out that it’s going to hurt for a while.....

Franken apologized to Leann Tweeden even though he had no recollection of the events. Sam Seder, the MSNBC host, has been rehired after reconsideration. On the latest allegations, Franken commented that they are untrue. I think I'm more disappointed by the mad rush to demand his resignation without substantial proof or evidence, it was almost a remake of "Lord of the Flies" on the Senate floor today.

8 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Democrats will rue the day they drummed Franken out of office, and I think it will be soon.... They made a huge mistake doing this before the Alabama election, and before Mueller's investigation is concluded.

They should have sat down, and shut up for once..... But no. Democrats enjoy cutting off their own noses to spite their face.

There are so many ways they could have dealt with this.....

8 minutes ago, Amati said:
15 minutes ago, hermetic said:

Franken apologized to the first woman who came out- and You’re right, Conyers didn’t.

"I remember it differently" is not an apology or an admission.

franken will do neither - if he admits it, his chances of employment in the entertainment business will be zero.

1 minute ago, badlatitude said:

Franken apologized to Leann Tweeden even though he had no recollection of the events. Sam Seder, the MSNBC host, has been rehired after reconsideration. On the latest allegations, Franken commented that they are untrue. I think I'm more disappointed by the mad rush to demand his resignation without substantial proof or evidence, it was almost a remake of "Lord of the Flies" on the Senate floor today.

I was thinking about the guy who had the show with Heilman..

17 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Ethics are are not something you can lay aside for political expediency.

-DSK

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

-DSK

:lol:

This had to be done so that the Dems can hold the moral high ground going into the mid terms. I suspect there may be a few others in the crosshairs between now and then as the GOP will be frantically searching through all senior Dem's history looking for a mere sliver of a skeleton in a closet on which to base their hypocritical accusations.

24 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

-DSK

In order to lay them aside, you have to have ethics in the first place. It's pretty clear that Trump and the GOP (as a unit) have never held to any ethical standard beyond "what's in it for me."

1 hour ago, phillysailor said:

What a load of crap.

8 minutes ago, Nice! said:

This had to be done so that the Dems can hold the moral high ground going into the mid terms. I suspect there may be a few others in the crosshairs between now and then as the GOP will be frantically searching through all senior Dem's history looking for a mere sliver of a skeleton in a closet on which to base their hypocritical accusations.

I agree with your assessment of the strategy, If the economy is still strong it will fall on deaf ears...

57 minutes ago, hermetic said:

I am certain that is your take.

Others might say the Democratic Party demonstrated a moral backbone.

It is clear the GOP is just find with sexual harassment and child molestation.

I don't think he (Franken) should resign. Conyers on the other hand was using tax money to support his "habit"

Sooner or later the pendulum will center. Franken is a victim of PC and DEM strategy.

Off to the slaughter house you go funny man! 

I liked Franken, but the fact that Colbert, Kimmell et all (guys that knew him back then and worked with him at the time) ran from him and are actually throwing him under the bus means that there probably is something else we don't know.  If it was just that one time, the kissing thing, well, he probably would have hung around through an investigation.  We don't loose a seat and well, collateral damage I guess.  What he did was bad, what we don't know is probably much worse.  

11 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:
1 hour ago, hermetic said:

I am certain that is your take.

Others might say the Democratic Party demonstrated a moral backbone.

It is clear the GOP is just find with sexual harassment and child molestation.

I hope this newly found backbone includes making the list of past complaints public.  but I doubt it will

and, the trump / moore complaint room is down the hall

2 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:
15 minutes ago, hermetic said:

I hope this newly found backbone includes making the list of past complaints public.  but I doubt it will

Pretty sure they'd need the cooperation of the party in power - you know, the Republicans - to do that.

maybe they don't

there's probably more than one set of keys to the records room in the basement

5 minutes ago, hermetic said:

maybe they don't

best blame them first and put them on the backfoot, right defender of the party for pedophiles, pervs and gropers? you fucks are so fucking tedious.

I'd love to see the list made public. I don't know why it hasn't. If it's important, make sure the Republicans know too. As well as that independent shit who wouldn't commit to stance on Franken yesterday.

10 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:
14 minutes ago, hermetic said:

maybe they don't

best blame them first and put them on the backfoot, right defender of the party for pedophiles, pervs and gropers? you fucks are so fucking tedious.

so you'd rather the list not come out?

12 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

I'd love to see the list made public. I don't know why it hasn't. If it's important, make sure the Republicans know too. As well as that independent shit who wouldn't commit to stance on Franken yesterday.

You really are fucking stupid, aren't you hermetic? What's with you rightwing fucks being stupid?

It's amusing watching the Republican loyalists try spinning this as less damaging to their party than it is.

Ignore Trump for the time being. Senator on Senator, going into the midterms, the Democrats have the moral high ground here. Franken is resigning and the Democrats are supporting said resignation based on a claim to upholding their ethics (real or not, that is the narrative). Moore is not giving up and the Republican Party has locked in their solid support behind the man, trying to avoid any real discussion on the ethical quandary that represents.

Even if you ignore the ethical superiority of Franken over Moore (and the parties supporting their actions) - going into the midterms, the Religious Right GOTV effort is going to be severely hampered by this. On just the purely political level, this is going to hurt. And frankly, I don't think the GOP were going to go down this path until Trump forced their hand. 

I find it odd that Franken in resigning "in a few weeks".  Is it possible he will stick around and change his mind?  The attention span of the average American can be measured in the time it takes to read a Tweet.

I fully realize to some of our more simple-minded posters (Ambulatory Counterbalance), this means I hope he stays.  Truth is, I am not convinced he needs to go.  But, if you say you're going.......go.

47 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

I find it odd that Franken in resigning "in a few weeks".  Is it possible he will stick around and change his mind?  The attention span of the average American can be measured in the time it takes to read a Tweet.

I fully realize to some of our more simple-minded posters (Ambulatory Counterbalance), this means I hope he stays.  Truth is, I am not convinced he needs to go.  But, if you say you're going.......go.

I think it will take that long for Governor Dayton to fill the seat, and the Dems need every vote they have.

9 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

I think it will take that long for Governor Dayton to fill the seat, and the Dems need every vote they have.

You are probably correct.

I am just puzzled by the wording.  

"I hereby offer my resignation, effective as soon as a successor is named."

or

"Nevertheless, today I am announcing that in the coming weeks I will be resigning as a member of the United States Senate."

I bet the women's version of this story would be very interesting to hear.

Updated 7:24 pm | "Arizona Republican Trent Franks said Thursday he is resigning from Congress effective Jan. 31 amid an Ethics Committee investigation into discussions he had with two female staffers about surrogacy. 

In a lengthy statement Thursday evening, Franks said he and his wife struggled with fertility.

“I have recently learned that the Ethics Committee is reviewing an inquiry regarding my discussion of surrogacy with two previous female subordinates, making each feel uncomfortable,” Franks said. “I deeply regret that my discussion of this option and process in the workplace caused distress.”

Rather than allowing “a sensationalized trial by media damage those things I love most,” he said he had notified House leadership he would resign effective Jan. 31."

Speaker Paul D. Ryan’s office said in a statement the speaker had accepted Franks’ resignation letter. Ryan was first briefed about the allegations Nov. 30. In a meeting with Franks the following day, he told the Arizona lawmaker he needed to step down and Ryan later referred the allegations to the House Ethics Committee. 

“The speaker takes seriously his obligation to ensure a safe workplace in the House,” Ryan’s office said. 

Franks said that in “this current cultural and media climate,” he was “deeply convinced” he would be unable “to complete a fair House Ethics investigation before distorted and sensationalized versions of this story would put me, my family, my staff, and my noble colleagues in the House of Representatives through hyperbolized public excoriation.” 

The Arizona Republican said he had “absolutely never physically intimidated, coerced, or had, or attempted to have, any sexual contact with any member of my congressional staff.”

http://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/arizonas-trent-franks-expected-resign

4 hours ago, hermetic said:

your mother

That's "Yer Mama".

Can't you get anything right?

2 hours ago, Bent Sailor said:

It's amusing watching the Republican loyalists try spinning this as less damaging to their party than it is.

Ignore Trump for the time being. Senator on Senator, going into the midterms, the Democrats have the moral high ground here. Franken is resigning and the Democrats are supporting said resignation based on a claim to upholding their ethics (real or not, that is the narrative). Moore is not giving up and the Republican Party has locked in their solid support behind the man, trying to avoid any real discussion on the ethical quandary that represents.

Even if you ignore the ethical superiority of Franken over Moore (and the parties supporting their actions) - going into the midterms, the Religious Right GOTV effort is going to be severely hampered by this. On just the purely political level, this is going to hurt. And frankly, I don't think the GOP were going to go down this path until Trump forced their hand. 

Can anybody relate Johnson and the south turning Republican to this?   If abortion was off the table this plus Trump being a liar plus Russia plus money laundering by the President plus a slow loss of healthcare plus loss of healthcare for working poor parents’ kids plus the risk of vanity wars plus nepotism plus crony capitalism plus future tax increases for most Americans plus the growing deficit would be almost as big to the Evangelicals as letting a black boy sit next to your daughter was back than.   

1 hour ago, Bus Driver said:

You are probably correct.

I am just puzzled by the wording.  

"I hereby offer my resignation, effective as soon as a successor is named."

or

"Nevertheless, today I am announcing that in the coming weeks I will be resigning as a member of the United States Senate."

I had lunch with a few CPA’s  today the general consensus was he’s holding out to get a longer tenure for pension reasons.  He is real close to his 8.5  years. 

Just now, TMSAIL said:

I had lunch with a few CPA’s  today the general consensus was he’s holding out to get a longer tenure for pension reasons.  He is real close to his 8 years. 

No, he's holding out to grab some more pussy.  Just like our president.

Just now, TMSAIL said:

I had lunch with a few CPA’s  today the general consensus was he’s holding out to get a longer tenure for pension reasons.  He is real close to his 8 years. 

On the other hand, he could be waiting to see if Moore wins and if the GOP seats him. Why would he ever resign in those circumstances?

The people around here blame Obama and "The Democrat led courts" for all the problems they have with 27% unemployment, no healthcare, and the high cost of raw peanuts.

(Not kidding)

On the other hand, he could be waiting to see if Moore wins and if the GOP seats him. Why would he ever resign in those circumstances?

He'll hang around long enough to vote to remove Moore if he's seated.

1 minute ago, Mrleft8 said:

The people around here blame Obama and "The Democrat led courts" for all the problems they have with 27% unemployment, no healthcare, and the high cost of raw peanuts.

(Not kidding)

Let them eat beer nuts!

In my very best Marie Antoinette voice. Also in French.

3 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

True.  The bar has been lowered.  Just need to wait to see if the perverts in the GOP put the kiddie grabber in the senate.  Seems like a fair play.

1 minute ago, Spatial Ed said:

True.  The bar has been lowered.  Just need to wait to see if the perverts in the GOP put the kiddie grabber in the senate.  Seems like a fair play.

It's kind of like a big F.U. when the worst thing he did doesn't come close to what Moore did and the Ethics Committee not doing anything also gives him tacit approval to move ahead.

2 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

Because he was forced out by his own party. I believe for political purposes.   That complete stampede of Dems, all calling  at the same time, for his resignation was way to coordinated.    As to Moore he has not admitted anything.  He is hiding behind the guiding principle of this country innocent until proven guilty.    

Just like Bills “I did not have sexual relations” comment.    Without the blue dress the Dems would still be claiming he did nothing wrong.  

It's kind of like a big F.U. when the worst thing he did doesn't come close to what Moore did and the Ethics Committee not doing anything also gives him tacit approval to move ahead.

Fuck Moore, what Franken has been accused of is ½ of what Trump has.  And Franken never grabbed them by the pussy.

Just now, TMSAIL said:

Because he was forced out by his own party. I believe for political purposes.   That complete stampede of Dems, all calling  at the same time, for his resignation was way to coordinated.    As to Moore he has not admitted anything.  He is hiding behind the guiding principle of this country innocent until proven guilty.    

Just like Bills “I did not have sexual relations” comment.    Without the blue dress the Dems would still be claiming he did nothing wrong.  

The Democrats have moral standards.  Compare that the party of perverts who endorse Roy Moore and the pussy grabber.

1 minute ago, TMSAIL said:

It's clear Dems are looking for the high ground come 2018, If Moore has nothing to hide he should be suing his accusers, why isn't that happening?