Bristol-Cruiser

What boat to buy?

3 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

So looking at the previous short list:-

1) CW Hood 32. PHRF 150  I am tearing up as I write this because I loved her lines, but no cabin at all for extended daysailing so (sob sob) she has to go.

2) Morris M29.   PHRF (standard) 156 (X version) 138 .She has a delightful little cabin . On the longer trip, there is room for storing some provisions (dinner hamper)and for the off-watch taking a nap....or for sleeping while at anchor. I wouldnt want to overnight on her except on a balmy summer evening and there is no galley BUT that is what hotels and nice restaurants are for.  

3) Alerion. PHRF 168-180  Has a complete cabin for occasional overnight and ideal for extended day sails with occasional overnight. But on the slow side and the cockpit is a bit small for those days sails with family and friends.

4) Pogo 30 : Not in the category.

5) E33. Bit of an ugly duckling to some eyes. But it should stay on the list. It has undergone quite a few changes and performance is a lot higher than some similar boats with a new square top main. It has a small usable cabin.   PHRF 102 (fastest of the daysailers so far)

6) The J100. The most extended daysailing capabilities of the bunch with snappy performance. PHRF 90-102.  Just lacking that eye candy extended day sailor look.

So what should we be adding ?

1) The X version of the M29 for faster passage (it comes with a carbon mast and correspondingly more money)

2) Morris M36 Day Sailer . Plenty of eye candy.  Still defined as a daysailer by the builder but certainly suitable for extended daysailing and overnights with galley, fridge and cabin. Easy to sail single of shorthanded.  But whole another budget now. Gorgeous and Expensive. It would alleviate any concerns about leaving behind too much money when you pass:)   But just FYI, it is a fraction of the price of the Friendship 40 and the Hinkley DS42 extended daysailers and in this gal's humble opinion it has as much eye candy appeal. There is one for $379,000.

I lust after the Hood but it really is not very practical. If we went with a Morris we would have to go with the regular version, the X is too deep and too pricey to boot. The Alerion is off the list, it is just not very interesting to me although I am sure it is fine boat. The E33 would be a possibility. It is a bit odd looking but in a good way. I find the J 100 very attractive, at least as far as modern boats go, perhaps because the cabin is so low. Not as gorgeous as the Hood or Morris but few boats are. Gee, the M36 and only $379K, why did I not think of that one. Of course I could afford it if the price was in Eastern Caribbean dollars.

38 minutes ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

I lust after the Hood but it really is not very practical. If we went with a Morris we would have to go with the regular version, the X is too deep and too pricey to boot. The Alerion is off the list, it is just not very interesting to me although I am sure it is fine boat. The E33 would be a possibility. It is a bit odd looking but in a good way. I find the J 100 very attractive, at least as far as modern boats go, perhaps because the cabin is so low. Not as gorgeous as the Hood or Morris but few boats are. Gee, the M36 and only $379K, why did I not think of that one. Of course I could afford it if the price was in Eastern Caribbean dollars.

Hood : Agreed. Beautiful but purely a picnic boat

Morris X version:. When you take a beautiful boat, that works well at what it is designed for and bolt on a carbon mast and deeper keel, just to spend money and go faster.....it is never going to be a good value proposition. So agree there as well.

E33: I can't make up my mind whether it looks odd in a good way or not. I have seen one in real life......but it just happened to be in the same Wednesday evening race as a Hood and, well, the Hood is so damn beautiful. I would have to see it again and see it with the new rig. The cabin is pretty Spartan and small. Stays on the list but my gut tells me that it doesn't end up as the final choice. I am afraid it falls between the two, neither as beautiful as a Morris or as practical as a J100 and harder to resell than both.

Alerion: nice boat but good to hear. It wasn't making my final cut.

Now as to the Morris 36. I am concerned that your practical budgetary considerations are negatively impacting my vicarious pleasures. I insist it stays on the list. Oh well.....but is the M29 still on the list?

The pending sale of the Bristol changes everything. Now we need to review your life plans. 

My husband and I are busy on life plans as well. 5 years before I have agreed to retire, although he wants me to take down the shingle sooner. We envisage house and day sailer somewhere nice and cruising boat in an entirely different part of the world. My Vice Admiral wants to circumnavigate. I'm less sure. I think I prefer to base a cruising boat in an interesting part of the world where we can fly in and out and explore it in depth. Our twist is that we both live to sail but I also love racing on sailboats and he loves his vintage sports car. So this has to be accommodated. Oops sorry to hijack your thread.

1 hour ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

Some good thoughts there in particular about making too many compromises based on the desire to 'do' Newfoundland for a couple of summers. I wonder what there is available for charter in Newfoundland/Nova Scotia? The big news is that we have decided to sell the Bristol. We really have not felt the urge to cruise in the Eastern Caribbean. Places here just do not seem to be as interesting as those we experienced in the Pacific, Indian, and South Atlantic. We thought about doing another circumnavigation to spend more time in fave spots and visit places we missed (SE Asia being the big one and we could do the Red Sea instead of South Africa - but we loved SA), but this is obviously in conflict with our desire to spend more time with the grandkids.

I guess we will see what direction we are going after we have money in hand from the Bristol.

circumstances change for sure.

16 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

Hood : Agreed. Beautiful but purely a picnic boat

Morris X version:. When you take a beautiful boat, that works well at what it is designed for and bolt on a carbon mast and deeper keel, just to spend money and go faster.....it is never going to be a good value proposition. So agree there as well.

E33: I can't make up my mind whether it looks odd in a good way or not. I have seen one in real life......but it just happened to be in the same Wednesday evening race as a Hood and, well, the Hood is so damn beautiful. I would have to see it again and see it with the new rig. The cabin is pretty Spartan and small. Stays on the list but my gut tells me that it doesn't end up as the final choice. I am afraid it falls between the two, neither as beautiful as a Morris or as practical as a J100 and harder to resell than both.

Alerion: nice boat but good to hear. It wasn't making my final cut.

Now as to the Morris 36. I am concerned that your practical budgetary considerations are negatively impacting my vicarious pleasures. I insist it stays on the list. Oh well.....but is the M29 still on the list?

The pending sale of the Bristol changes everything. Now we need to review your life plans. 

My husband and I are busy on life plans as well. 5 years before I have agreed to retire, although he wants me to take down the shingle sooner. We envisage house and day sailer somewhere nice and cruising boat in an entirely different part of the world. My Vice Admiral wants to circumnavigate. I'm less sure. I think I prefer to base a cruising boat in an interesting part of the world where we can fly in and out and explore it in depth. Our twist is that we both live to sail but I also love racing on sailboats and he loves his vintage sports car. So this has to be accommodated. Oops sorry to hijack your thread.

The regular Morris 29 is still on the list but the X version has too much draft for many of the harbours on Lake Ontario. The J 100 does seem to check many of boxes and at a good price too, although 80K to 100k is a lot for a toy.

In general I can recommend a circumnavigation because there is a real sense of adventure in going to places you have only read about (Pitcairn) or never heard of (Suvorov). If you pick a place and focus on it you have a reason to go there. We loved a number of places we stopped at only because they were a convenient place to stop - St Helena was an excellent example. Knew nothing about it except the Napoleon connection but we loved our time there. It is also a good idea not to think of a circumnav as one journey. Rather it is a linked series of smaller trips that generally take you westward (or eastward if you do it in the 40s S because the winds take you in that direction. We have friends who did a 21 year circumnavigation. They just stayed somewhere if they liked it and moved on after a time (seven years in the Med was the longest stop). The pace of your journey is largely controlled by seasonal weather - local cyclone seasons and in South Africa winter. We met a cruiser-doctor who cruised for a year or so and then did short term contract jobs either in Canada and New Zealand as I remember.

There, I hijacked my own thread.

I watched some videos of the M29 over lunch. 

With Ainia sale pending (and what a beautifully maintained boat I might add) I was wondering whether the M29 will be able to do everything you want. I see why you have "moved up" in your size specification.

It is a very pretty boat though. 

The M29 is very much a beautiful extended day sailer.  If the Admiral wants a boat that can "go somewhere" and you will shortly have sold the Bristol, it seems you are really looking for a hybrid small cruiser/ daysailer.  A boat with short handed systems and large cockpit that can be used for a day sailer but also do local cruising.   Hmmm back to the drawing board.

J100 is checking a lot of boxes. Performance. Very Good looking in contemporary way. Hybrid day sailer/weekend  cruiser. Selection available to buy and good resale value.