Mark Adams

J/120 offshore cruiser

Looking at purchasing a J/120 for coastal/offshore cruising. Concerned over reports of water ingress in some boats on long port tacks in heavy weather and reports of structural issues around the sump in other boats. J Boats have claimed sump issues in only the first 25 boats which I've seen disputed. Are these real issues or isolated events? Would welcome input from J/120 owners.

26 minutes ago, Mark Adams said:

Looking at purchasing a J/120 for coastal/offshore cruising. Concerned over reports of water ingress in some boats on long port tacks in heavy weather and reports of structural issues around the sump in other boats. J Boats have claimed sump issues in only the first 25 boats which I've seen disputed. Are these real issues or isolated events? Would welcome input from J/120 owners.

Done quite a bit of racing on a j120 in the pnw. Haven't ever had a major issue with water coming through the sprit on port tack..I assume this would be the ingress issue that would be isolated to port tack. Owner might chime in here as he would know better than I..

J/120 at our club had trouble with his sprit when he apparently hit a whale while going about 12 kts one night sailing under main & genoa returning from doublehanded NPT-BDA  race.  (Sprit was not deployed.) Boat stopped dead with a BANG. They checked for keel & hull damage, leaks, and found none. Sprit had been rammed into its housing and the tackle for extending it had blown apart in the forward cabin, breaking the shackle off the splice on the end of it, and shooting it with enough force that it made the u-shaped  impression of the shackle in the bulkhead.  Someone standing in the forward cabin could have been killed. Boat continued on w/ no other issues, but could not extend sprit.  Don't know if they were on port or starboard  tack.

Have done a lot of J/105 racing and have wondered what could happen with the sprit in a collision. Now I guess I know....

Owned a J120 for a number of years and done bermudas marbleheads as well as inshore racing. Yes the sprit can leak if not properly sealed and or the drainage is blocked( that and burying the bow while doing 15 knots plus). We have engineered a shroud system that seems to keep water out.

The boats are a great choice for offshore, their manners are very kind and with the large rudder very much have a lot of control.

I own a late model (hull 177) and there is no sump issues. Those were hulls 1-20 from memory.

There is a lot of other areas that you need to concentrate on that I can share if your interested

PaulK, I'm not laying this on you, but your buddy's story doesn't hold water with me. The pole extender hardware isn't really under load unless the pole is deployed, so there's no reason for it to explode when it's pushed further into the boat. and when it's sucked into the boat it's in a position where there's not really enough travel to shoot it any further into the boat and cause the kind of damage you described without catastrophic damage to the bow. 

Plus. the sprit is how far out of the water? 3 feet? You'd need to be angled down like 30-40 degrees by the bow for a whale under the water to ever contact a retracted bowsprit. And THAT would leave a mark 

It's a great choice for offshore cruising.  That's why we bought ours.  We looked into these same issues before buying. Lots of info and videos on our website. www.svshearwater.com

On 12/16/2017 at 6:31 AM, Stu McCrea said:

Owned a J120 for a number of years and done bermudas marbleheads as well as inshore racing. Yes the sprit can leak if not properly sealed and or the drainage is blocked( that and burying the bow while doing 15 knots plus). We have engineered a shroud system that seems to keep water out.

The boats are a great choice for offshore, their manners are very kind and with the large rudder very much have a lot of control.

I own a late model (hull 177) and there is no sump issues. Those were hulls 1-20 from memory.

There is a lot of other areas that you need to concentrate on that I can share if your interested

On 12/16/2017 at 6:31 AM, Stu McCrea said:

Stu- Thank you for your comments. I am also aware of potential issues with the rudder bearing but other than that it appears there is good consensus among the sailing community that this is a good offshore boat. Any other pointers you can offer would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎12 at 1:27 AM, Mark Adams said:

Stu- Thank you for your comments. I am also aware of potential issues with the rudder bearing but other than that it appears there is good consensus among the sailing community that this is a good offshore boat. Any other pointers you can offer would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

NP

Send me a message anytime or check out J120 Atlantic Fleet on fb.

Yes rudder bearings has/had been issues. Simple replacement.

Shaft dia is somewhat undersize for boat, therefore close inspection there. Exhaust elbows like to rot out, check that too 

On 12/16/2017 at 10:29 PM, jackolantern said:

PaulK, I'm not laying this on you, but your buddy's story doesn't hold water with me. The pole extender hardware isn't really under load unless the pole is deployed, so there's no reason for it to explode when it's pushed further into the boat. and when it's sucked into the boat it's in a position where there's not really enough travel to shoot it any further into the boat and cause the kind of damage you described without catastrophic damage to the bow. 

Plus. the sprit is how far out of the water? 3 feet? You'd need to be angled down like 30-40 degrees by the bow for a whale under the water to ever contact a retracted bowsprit. And THAT would leave a mark 

to be fair, if the pole launcher is a little short and at the knot with the pole still extended a tiny bit, and you hit something such that the stopper knot on the launcher is stopped, it would technically load the system. That said, i generally agree with your assessment...