pkilkenny

Are You Tougher Than Me?

Chronic pain would certainly detract from my enjoyment and I don´t think I would keep doing it.

What do you sail and what do you do that makes your knee hurt? Is there another type of sailing that wouldn´t? 

My shoulders were both pretty well destroyed with respect to violent use  by the time I was 30. 

My life as the catcher who could throw out anybody who dared try to steal second base ended in 1977 and with it went the one stroke toe to top of head mainsheet pump.

i learned to play third base and I do the biggest trim stroke I can across my body rather than vertically.

i hope you can work out similar “different muscles and joints” solutions so you can continue to play 

• Like 3

Pain is your body saying "stop doing that, it's causing damage". So stop. Your older self won't be pleased with your younger self if you decide to tough it out.

You are your own worst enemy. You know the answers to all your questions now. We all eventually get what we deserve. Find a different boat while you can still walk.

• Like 1

Sailing and pain go together like medical marijuana and pain.

• Like 1

I bought a sweet little Jim Brown SeaClipper 28 trimaran a couple of years ago. I had to de-mount the amas and crossbeams and load it on a trailer for the trip to its new home on the Gulf from NJ. By the time I got it all bolted back together and ready to sail, I was hurting so bad! I seriously considered naming the boat TRIBUPROPHEN.

Pain is a personal choice,  soldier on or stop.  If it becomes a safety issue for you or the boat, then it is time to stop.  To quote the line from jaws " we are going to need a bigger boat".  Bigger cockpit, comfy seats with cushions and adult beverages!

Eric

Worked with man who played football until he was 25, then he changed to Rugby an in his 40's and finally took up squash. While he was doing all this he was also sailing a two handed hiking boat. When I met him in his mid fifties he was on sticks and waiting for double hip replacements.

So the question is why did he do this to himself? Why do you want to endure pain? What does this endurance give you?

A friend was a climber, he said he never felt so alive than on the rock pushing himself to the max. 

The whole subject of why we put ourselves in painful situations has been much studied, rights of passage? Identifying with a social group (Finn and Laser sailors), pain in the pursuit of endorphins highs, externalising internal angst? 

So Op, first work out why you choose to suffer pain, then if pain is part of what you need to live then that's easy go with the pain and you will be happy.

If you realise that pain is not what you need to live a fulfilled life then sailing is the ideal sport, the most diverse of any, countless options to reduce pain and live your life. 

Know yourself...............get a good Therapist.

The Int Canoe was my answer to the question of what to do when hiking hurts and still want to go fast. My injury pretty much rules out the trap for any length of time.

I really appreciate the replies and the wisdom. 

I sail: 

... and am seriously addicted. 

Hmmm, maybe a Musto Skiff? A-Cat? Canoe?

PK

15 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Sailing and pain go together like medical marijuana and pain.

....stoned, or stupid.  Don't bother answering.  :mellow:

19 hours ago, dogwatch said:

Pain is your body saying "stop doing that, it's causing damage". So stop. Your older self won't be pleased with your younger self if you decide to tough it out.

This.  There's many fine flavors of sailing and life, than the one that causes you pain,, or to do drugs to 'block' it.   :)

Watching the above video, you might want to try to keep your legs much straighter when hiking, this puts less load on the entire knee area. Speak to a sports therapist about the best exercises to strengthen the muscles around the knee to take loads off the tendons holding the knee together. Also try to avoid pushing off a foot with a bent leg, this puts more load on the cartilage in the knee joint. I have had 2 scopes on my left knee and one on my right, all from torn cartilage due to squash and sailing. Tacking from port to starboard I had to put my knee on the cockpit floor to avoid pushing off with a bent foreword leg, it slowed things down a little but steering slower through the tacks and gybes compensated for the slight delay. Managed to win a recent nationals sailing against the current Olympic squad and a bunch of serious youngsters using this technique with zero pain after the event.

good luck.

Two Henny Youngman jokes come to mind:

Patient: Hey doc, it hurts when I do this.

Doctor: Then don't do that!

Patient: Doctor, my leg hurts. What should I do?

Doctor: Limp!

Anyway, at some point in time, you have to move on. Xonk1 above X 2

Depends on the pain. Certain pain you just deal with, certain pain is your body saying, "hey you're creating some long-term damage here". I tend to isten to the latter....

Edit: I've got pretty agressivr eczema on my hands and sometimes feet. The first bit of the day on the water can be extremely.painful as old and new cuts are opened on my palms. I deal with. Things that feel like tendon or bones that hurt chronically force me to take a break.

I was a long term Laser, Finn and OK sailor, now in my 50's an afternoon blasting in a Laser in F4-5 results in two weeks of ibuprofen and paracetamol and also means I'm off my bike or really slow and I need to ride to work, So a few years ago I changed to sailboards, someone said that sailboards are more like flying than sailing. I'm a c**p sailboarder but hanging from the harness is far easier than hiking a laser and you go so damn fast! (No ibuprofen or paracetamol needed)

Hiking is tremendously tough on the knees and lower back. My guess is that your joints are taking the stress rather than your muscles. What are your squat and deadlift numbers like? 

Knees, back and shoulders fucked from too much football and weightlifting

Put a bigger sail on my Laser though so I guess the answer is yes

The are you tougher title..,,,

inhave no idea. I do know I am incredibly fortunate to have a body that still lets me lift heavy objects, Sail tiny Dinghies, and my brain seems nearly as functional as it has ever been .

( Yes. I know. Each of you wants to be the first to Post:

Zero function would be nearly as functional.

Fuck You too!!) 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lynch said:

Knees, back and shoulders fucked from too much football and weightlifting

Put a bigger sail on my Laser though so I guess the answer is yes

Now for the serious advice

Don't go out when you are already in trouble

Don't go out when its blowing dogs off chains

Be careful when coming ashore, a steep slip when you're tired can be a disaster

Spend more time in the weights room

Find a good physotherapist

Consider a boat where flat out hiking isn't required

Keep sailing

Don't know if this applies but can U get a new one? Similar situation with my hip 11yrs ago. Six mo. after replacement and with very rigid therapy I was sailing again and by next season was sailing hard and competitive. Never looked back. I know knees are more complicated than hips but the tech has also come a long way in 11 years. Still have Celebrex and 800mg. pain killers on the shelf but in very dusty bottles.

John D

On 12/16/2017 at 9:23 PM, pkilkenny said:

I really appreciate the replies and the wisdom. 

I sail: 

... and am seriously addicted. 

Hmmm, maybe a Musto Skiff? A-Cat? Canoe?

PK

Maybe new shorts?

Whitewater canoeists are in pain pretty much constantly and have to take frequent breaks going down river or temporarily lose the ability to walk. Offwidth rock climbers typically start bleeding 10' off the ground on a 100+' climb, and generally end their climb with five minutes of dry-heaving from monster lactic acidosis. I'm not sure "normal" applies to either group, although I've known weekend warriors that pursued both activities. Some folks dig pain.

I'm impressed by your sailing video, and see why you would want to soldier through the pain. That looks fantastic. Good luck!

On 12/30/2017 at 3:41 PM, Gouvernail said:

( Yes. I know. Each of you wants to be the first to Post:

Zero function would be nearly as functional.

Fuck You too!!) 

hahahaha

1. Hats off the Finn, OK and Laser sailors, truley machicists, so much effort and pain for so little reward.

2. Stay away from other sports, football injuries seem to make sailing seem gentle.

3. Sail within your ability. Stay safe and stay off the centreboad. A few capsizes or violent crashes makes recovery take an extra day.

I am 68 next month and am enjoying moth racing more than ever now I have downgraded to a 11 year old boat with second generation rig and foils. Sailing has been my only sport for 55 years. My doctor says my aches and pains are arthritis and I should get used to them. Sailing regularly is the best anaesthetic.

On 19/03/2018 at 4:31 AM, Marx Headroom said:

Offwidth rock climbers typically start bleeding 10' off the ground on a 100+' climb, and generally end their climb with five minutes of dry-heaving from monster lactic acidosis. 

Really? Are you a climber? I climbed for a few years and I have never heard of the dry-heaving bit. Climbers who expect to fist-jam also tend to tape their hands to minimise damage. In any case, it is not about liking pain, it is about liking climbing.

5 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

Really? Are you a climber? I climbed for a few years and I have never heard of the dry-heaving bit. Climbers who expect to fist-jam also tend to tape their hands to minimise damage. In any case, it is not about liking pain, it is about liking climbing.

You need to check out what offwidth is. Taping hands doesn't help at all. Most climb wearing gear that covers all skin except the face and even then, you expect to get scrapes and other damage. I am not sure it is possible to offwidth climb without some blood! As with most people thinking that rock climbers are insane, "regular" climbers think offwidth climbing is insane. :D

I have climbed off-widths, I know what they are thank you. Climbers don't particularly fear off-width because they hurt to climb. They fear them because they are insecure. The cracks that hurt most to climb are fist-sized.

Oarsmen take frequent trips to the pain cave. As do cyclists. Different sort of pain though - lactic. 

6 hours ago, dogwatch said:

Yeah I climbed multi-pitch trad for several years. Google vedauwoo offwidth climbing if you want to get a feel for what I'm talking about. That place eats through tape like a belt sander. If a crack is narrow enough to jam a fist you aren't in offwidth territory yet.

9 hours ago, dogwatch said:

I have climbed off-widths, I know what they are thank you. Climbers don't particularly fear off-width because they hurt to climb. They fear them because they are insecure. The cracks that hurt most to climb are fist-sized.

You should tell that to the group of eldo canyon sport climbers I watched limp bleeding back to their car after getting shrugged off the bottom 20' of a Vedauwoo 5.8. Every one of them had holes in their pants and were bleeding into their shoes. You ever see someone get their helmet stuck in the crag?

Helmet, no. Entire torso, yes. At least they weren't about to fall.

• Like 1