Sign in to follow this  
Mrleft8

Open letter to Microsoft/Windows

Stop updating, and installing updates that I don't want. You fuck up my entire fucking system every time you do this, even though I have told you not to.

You don't listen! You are like a fucking Trump clone! STOP FUCKING WITH MY COMPUTER!

(Yes I have sent this to MS in an email.)

Yep. Just like AOL, back in the day. Can't turn off/on the machine until it stops the 'upgrade' (usually to prevent some ind of bitcoin based ransom). Don't worry that my flight leaves in 5 minutes and my boss just texted about getting her some importantly info. Wait for fucking MS.

That's why I direct most of my anger at Tim Cook.

He really ought to read the chapter in the Steve Jobs bio that has the "return of Steve" vignette in the boardroom with the Flipchart and the 4 things Apple needs to do.

Fuck em all.

That's why I haven't been online since 2011.

1 minute ago, Caca Cabeza said:

Yep. Just like AOL, back in the day. Can't turn off/on the machine until it stops the 'upgrade' (usually to prevent some ind of bitcoin based ransom). Don't worry that my flight leaves in 5 minutes and my boss just texted about getting her some importantly info. Wait for fucking MS.

That's why I direct most of my anger at Tim Cook.

He really ought to read the chapter in the Steve Jobs bio that has the "return of Steve" vignette in the boardroom with the Flipchart and the 4 things Apple needs to do.

Fuck em all.

That's why I haven't been online since 2011.

Me Too

Apple OS X or Linux and running Windows 7 in a virtual machine for Windoze stuff that you *have* to run makes all those problems go away.

I hated Windows Vista so badly that I installed Linux, which annoyed me to where I bought an Apple laptop. Haven't been back.

I write software for a living, a computer is a tool for getting that done, I won't tolerate a tool that doesn't actually work properly.

FKT

oh yeah.,.,. how are those iOS updates working out?! i swear i get a panic email from ForeFlight (aviation navigation software) saying "WAIT WAIT WAIT DONT UPDATE!!!! WE HAVENT TESTED THIS YET AND WE ALREADY KNOW THERE ARE ISSUES!!!" Meanwhile my ipad has to ask me if i want to install their shitty ios update every time i unlock the fucking screen.

That said i am still using W7 because, fuck automatic updates you can;'t disable/defer until you have a chance to vet them and install them. The W10 preinstallation files were a complete clusterfuck, royally fucking me on a 250gb SSD until i found out they existed and nuked them. Probably the reason that hdd died actually, running at max capacity for months while i tried to figure out what the hell was taking up all my space leading to bad sectors...or not. Neither company has much love from me right now, lets put it that way. I'd like to experiment a bit more with ubuntu or mint but just haven't had the time.

16 minutes ago, mustang__1 said:

oh yeah.,.,. how are those iOS updates working out?! i swear i get a panic email from ForeFlight (aviation navigation software) saying "WAIT WAIT WAIT DONT UPDATE!!!! WE HAVENT TESTED THIS YET AND WE ALREADY KNOW THERE ARE ISSUES!!!" Meanwhile my ipad has to ask me if i want to install their shitty ios update every time i unlock the fucking screen.

? I gotta say, I haven’t had a problem with an Apple update either. OSX or iOS......well really ever......is the 3rd party software that won’t play nice with the updates?

19 minutes ago, mustang__1 said:

That said i am still using W7 because, fuck automatic updates you can;'t disable/defer until you have a chance to vet them and install them. The W10 preinstallation files were a complete clusterfuck, royally fucking me on a 250gb SSD until i found out they existed and nuked them. Probably the reason that hdd died actually, running at max capacity for months while i tried to figure out what the hell was taking up all my space leading to bad sectors...or not. Neither company has much love from me right now, lets put it that way. I'd like to experiment a bit more with ubuntu or mint but just haven't had the time.

An app that charges hundreds of dollars in yearly subscription fees can't afford to pay developers to do proper development? Nice. That's what the iOS beta channel is for.

My Win10 woke my computer up the other night and did an update. Now my Slack freezes every 10 minutes. Thanks guys. Oh, and quit trying to get your Siri ripoff Cortana to get in my face.

My Mac pisses me off in other ways but it's not as invasive.

See!?! Proving my point. Haven't been online in years.

3 minutes ago, BR3232 said:

An app that charges hundreds of dollars in yearly subscription fees can't afford to pay developers to do proper development? Nice. That's what the iOS beta channel is for.

TBH i don't know if they release the panic emails prior or subsequent to the updates being released by apple. It is also becoming an insanely important piece of cockpit equipment. Many airlines are now using EFB's and FF in liue of paper charts. Of course, they aren't allowed to geo reference so the main issue the ios devices are having these days shouldn't effect them too much (Bluetooth connectivity). At any rate, issuing an all clear is not something they can do lightly 

5 minutes ago, Point Break said:

? I gotta say, I haven’t had a problem with an Apple update either. OSX or iOS......well really ever......is the 3rd party software that won’t play nice with the updates?

There have been known bluetooth issues since the 11.2.x release. In general its not so much that the software won't play nicely, but that they want to thoroughly test it. 

Fuckers are telling me now that the last update was unsuccessful, and they need to do it again.....

And there is no way to go back to W7 or even the dreaded 8 which was at least better than 10.

Yeah, they suck.  Bigly.  I have 5 computers in my house (3 kids who like to game together) but my only broadband is a cell phone.  Well - the computers decided to download updates overnight even though I told them not to.  I woke up to a text saying I've used my monthly data allotment.  Even switching them to a 'metered' connection doesn't help.  They still download gigs of updates.

I switched to a Mac and never looked back, and I was a Apple hater and Windoze fan boy for years.  Now I'm forced to use my fucking HP work computer POS.  

About the only thing I like Windows over Mac is their file structure.  I still find Mac OS clunky when opening, moving, copying files etc.  I will live with it for the much better everything else IOS is better at.  But the Win file system is waay better IMHO.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mustang__1 said:

oh yeah.,.,. how are those iOS updates working out?!

You *do* understand there's a huge difference between OS X and IOS - don't you???

FKT

2 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

I switched to a Mac and never looked back, and I was a Apple hater and Windoze fan boy for years.  Now I'm forced to use my fucking HP work computer POS.  

About the only thing I like Windows over Mac is their file structure.  I still find Mac OS clunky when opening, moving, copying files etc.  I will live with it for the much better everything else IOS is better at.  But the Win file system is waay better IMHO.  

Yeah, I'd agree with all of that.

I started out with Mac, and found it to be so unuser friendly that I started borrowing a girlfriends PC. OMG! How much simpler! How much faster, and easier to use!.... That was 23 years ago... The next time I get the blue screen of death I will definitely look into a Mac.

My newest home computer W 10. I have sworn that is my last Windows computer.  I am done with that.  W10 is absolutely horrible. 

My 10 year old XP machine is just fine.... for what I want it to do.  When it dies, I will be heading to the Apple store. 

1 hour ago, bugger said:

My newest home computer W 10. I have sworn that is my last Windows computer.  I am done with that.  W10 is absolutely horrible. 

My 10 year old XP machine is just fine.... for what I want it to do.  When it dies, I will be heading to the Apple store. 

when I was looking for a nav laptop for my powerboat I found a recond Dell midrange with XP. it runs opencpn and nothing else. I can hang an old VGA screen off it at the lower helm station and carry a little USB mouse around with that will reach the flybridge from the lower station. I have not had one single issue with that old XP machine in over a year.. but I do not ever let it connect to the interwebs.

the whole rig cost about 125$ including hockey puck gps .... best nav system I've ever had on a boat

21 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Stop updating, and installing updates that I don't want. You fuck up my entire fucking system every time you do this, even though I have told you not to.

You don't listen! You are like a fucking Trump clone! STOP FUCKING WITH MY COMPUTER!

Dear Mr. Mrleft8,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft.

Your matter has been taken into consideration and we kindly ask you to go fornicate yourself...  We're Microsoft and we don't give a rodents anal orifice about your little trivial problems. 

If you don't like it go buy an Apple product or learn how to program Linux; but what ever you do, please stop wasting our time.

Sincerely,

William Gates

P.S. Apple has a self fornication app... we designed it for them!

21 hours ago, mustang__1 said:

Same here, Windows 7 Home Edition.  Even the CSC rental Dell Desktop in my UTC company office is still running 6 or 7, but they finally gave us Chrome, since IE is no longer supported. One of our inventory management programs, Mochasoft is ancient DOS software created in 1980, but updated in 2013!  Both our laptops are at least 4 years old, so cheaper to get new machines, than update OS, I reckon?  Missus BB does note ever even use hers, but I keep it around for backup.  Quicken 2005 works fine for personal accounting, but Quckbooks made me upgrade a couple years ago for $400 +/-, for our rental property company.

21 hours ago, mustang__1 said:

... I'd like to experiment a bit more with ubuntu or mint but just haven't had the time.

If you want to disappear down the rabbit hole for several years and reappear doing everything by typing a command line, by all means experiment with Linux variants (deviants?).  You will ultimately get what you want but it will come at a high price in terms of your time.

3 minutes ago, dash34 said:

If you want to disappear down the rabbit hole for several years and reappear doing everything by typing a command line, by all means experiment with Linux variants (deviants?).  You will ultimately get what you want but it will come at a high price in terms of your time.

Not *that* bad these days depending on what you actually need/want to run. Commercial software, good luck - better get good at installing Windoze in a virtual machine.

Web surfing, email, open source software like Open Office, OpenCPN etc etc, generally fine as long as your hardware isn't anything exotic.

Except for low power stuff on a collection of Raspberry Pi computers for the boat I can't be bothered with Linux when a Macbook does what I need, I can get MS Office for it (bloody clients) and all my software development tools run fine. The Pi computers are pretty nice to play with though and I use them for data logging and chart plotter running OpenCPN.

FKT

37 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

I know Bill Gates' step mother. She was a very good friend of my parents.  I used to baby sit for Bill Gates' step brother, when he was 3-4 years old. I almost bought Bill Gates' step mothers Land rover when I was about 18.... (But I think my parents intervened). My father designed Bill Gates' step mother's house.

Not a bit of that helps me one bit with Win10.

1 hour ago, Point Break said:

My brother in law’s step mothers uncle washed Bill Gates car........

Farm out!

On 12/16/2017 at 1:59 PM, Mrleft8 said:

Some people's kids never learn how to operate tech.

Maybe you should move to the country and look at stars. Oh but then you would be near Trump clones :)

50 minutes ago, dash34 said:

yes-mac-ita-are-you-an-idiot-no-do-you-2

Too simplistic. What happens if you have all 3 (and at least 3 Linux variants) plus a couple Sun Microsystems blade servers running Solaris?

If I only get one choice, I'll pick idiot.

See the happy idiot.

He doesn't give a damn.

I wish I were an idiot.

My God! Perhaps I am.....

FKT

3 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Too simplistic. What happens if you have all 3 (and at least 3 Linux variants) plus a couple Sun Microsystems blade servers running Solaris?

May whatever deity you worship have mercy on your soul, brother....

All of you W10 users/haters should install the "Show or Hide Updates" troubleshooter - http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2/2/f22d5fdb-59cd-4275-8c95-1be17bf70b21/wushowhide.diagcab

Once you install that you are able to look at all installed and pending updates and either block them, delay them, or remove them.

The Microsoft Office Validation Add-in was the one update that repeatedly chapped my ass.  They want to scan every Office file I try to open.  I appreciate the sentiment, but when I routinely open 50+ MB Excel files that contain over 5000 lines of VBA macro code any scans take forever.

MS

On 12/17/2017 at 3:19 PM, dash34 said:

i'm doing some server experimenting on digital ocean and ubuntu 16.04, CLI obviously.It's.... interesting. I dont know how those fuckers on stack overflow have all that stuff memorized. That said, my time playing with ubuntu desktop was definitely mixed. maybe by the time i need to ditch W7 it'll be where it needs to be.... that said there are some very nice gaming computers on craigslist im thinking about buying - given my laptop can't really handle anything made after 2007. 

On 12/17/2017 at 3:11 PM, billy backstay said:

Same here, Windows 7 Home Edition.  Even the CSC rental Dell Desktop in my UTC company office is still running 6 or 7, but they finally gave us Chrome, since IE is no longer supported. One of our inventory management programs, Mochasoft is ancient DOS software created in 1980, but updated in 2013!  Both our laptops are at least 4 years old, so cheaper to get new machines, than update OS, I reckon?  Missus BB does note ever even use hers, but I keep it around for backup.  Quicken 2005 works fine for personal accounting, but Quckbooks made me upgrade a couple years ago for $400 +/-, for our rental property company.

aside from the copious batch files i write, i thankfully don't have to manage any outdated software for our company. Hell, even mas90 (i refuse to call it anything else) is on its newest version (ish, dealt with that clusterfuck in the spring) - sans subscription model. I wouldn't bother updating OS - W10 sucks and if i am going to suffer with it there better be  some nicer hardware to go with it. I have started integrating W10 into work on a case by case basis, manager's laptops and stuff. Trying to get clusterfuck of a UI around a network is maddening. 

I have been using W10 for a while now.  As long as you download enough betterware to replace all the crapware that comes with W10, the experience is really not much different from W7.  For example, you need Audacity and VLC media player to make sure when you play something you don't accidentally start up the equivalent W10 app abortion. 

Run windows 10 decrapifier,  Anti-Beacon, Classic Shell,  don't use cortana,  "apps" and edge it isn't super bad.    Still annoying as hell.    Block all microsoft domains on your router, just remember to free them up once and a while to check for updates, but at your convenience.

Now I had two mobile devices with Windows 8 and they were absolutely horrible.  Tried to update both to 10 since they won't run 7 and it totally bricked one of the machines.  The other refused to update.  Either way I used over 30 gigs of data.  What a waste.

On 12/17/2017 at 12:19 PM, dash34 said:

10 years ago, I'd agree with you, but I'm not convinced that this is true any longer.  I started using Fedora about 8 years ago and currently run windows (mostly 7, but also 10) in virtualbox.  99% of the stuff I need to do can be done in libreoffice and mainstream web browsers.  For word/excel/garmin/the few streaming video services that require windows, I have windows.  For all else, I have a stable platform where I can control the update cycle. 

A year ago, I got tired of getting the calls from my mother in law to fix her windows problems (including the time microsoft technical support called her to get access to her system to fix a virus that their systems said she had...she fell for it) and general PC pain and suffering.  I reimaged the machine to fedora and she hasn't had a problem since.  Installed it on my mother's PC as well after she corrupted hers to the point that it would only boot into safe mode.  Neither of these two have a clue about PC use and they aren't having any usability problems with linux (neither need to use any windows apps).  It all depends on what you want the PC to do.  My kids can't use linux because they game.  The boat can't use linux because of Expedition/OpenCPN. 

A side benefit is that old hardware is given a lease on life from a performance standpoint.

Lefty, how old IS your confuzer?  WIN 10 does have problems with anything older than a P-400, fer sure and the Lawn-Tractor powered behemoth you probably using is mebbe not "up-to-snuff" fer running it?

Seriously, though, a lot of hardware we considered more than adequate a few short years ago has become antiquated far faster than we (I) had had any anticipation thereof, even, mebbe.

Check the foundation, then complain about the cracks in the wall.

And Mary and Chris Moose to you two. 

It'd be absurd if a 3 y/o computer was obsolete. Not saying it isn't, but these people need to understand that we all don't change our cars, our wives or our computers as often as we change our underwear.

I did upgrade this computer from coal generated to kerosene last year, but that shouldn't affect it.

Win 10 tried to update again this morning. It froze up at 52%, and again at 81%....... Then it gave up and restored my previous version...... Pain in the ass being off line for 4 hours for no reason though..... Luckily, I had real life things to do, like meet with the county Ag inspector at the County courthouse......

3 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

It'd be absurd if a 3 y/o computer was obsolete. Not saying it isn't, but these people need to understand that we all don't change our cars, our wives or our computers as often as we change our underwear.

I did upgrade this computer from coal generated to kerosene last year, but that shouldn't affect it.

Win 10 tried to update again this morning. It froze up at 52%, and again at 81%....... Then it gave up and restored my previous version...... Pain in the ass being off line for 4 hours for no reason though..... Luckily, I had real life things to do, like meet with the county Ag inspector at the County courthouse......

the reason they went to a subscription model (ok they haven't....yet.... but the rumor/theory is they will) is because of exactly that. 

8 hours ago, Que said:

10 years ago, I'd agree with you, but I'm not convinced that this is true any longer.  I started using Fedora about 8 years ago and currently run windows (mostly 7, but also 10) in virtualbox.  99% of the stuff I need to do can be done in libreoffice and mainstream web browsers.  For word/excel/garmin/the few streaming video services that require windows, I have windows.  For all else, I have a stable platform where I can control the update cycle. 

A year ago, I got tired of getting the calls from my mother in law to fix her windows problems (including the time microsoft technical support called her to get access to her system to fix a virus that their systems said she had...she fell for it) and general PC pain and suffering.  I reimaged the machine to fedora and she hasn't had a problem since.  Installed it on my mother's PC as well after she corrupted hers to the point that it would only boot into safe mode.  Neither of these two have a clue about PC use and they aren't having any usability problems with linux (neither need to use any windows apps).  It all depends on what you want the PC to do.  My kids can't use linux because they game.  The boat can't use linux because of Expedition/OpenCPN. 

A side benefit is that old hardware is given a lease on life from a performance standpoint.

Are you saying you have never typed "sudo xxxxxxxxxxxx"?

19 hours ago, dash34 said:

Hahahaha.  Daily.  But I can seriously say that end (L)users of the two machines I mentioned have never pulled up a command line, that I haven't touched either of their PCs since I first configured them, and that neither has been stuck for hours watching the "please do not turn off your computer" update screen.  My point is that you don't need to be a card-carrying propeller-head to have success with linux these days, but it depends on how the PC is being used. 

5 minutes ago, Que said:
19 hours ago, dash34 said:

Hahahaha.  Daily. 

Using a graphical package manager replaces the majority of the sudo xxxx stuff for me on desktop linux.  The kind of folks who use sudo on Linux also use cmd on Windows...

5 minutes ago, weightless said:

The kind of folks who use sudo on Linux also use cmd on Windows...

And use terminal on a Mac!

4 hours ago, weightless said:

Using a graphical package manager replaces the majority of the sudo xxxx stuff for me on desktop linux.  The kind of folks who use sudo on Linux also use cmd on Windows...

...and??? batch files for days dude. Actually, one of the best pranks i ever pulled was setting Left Hook's firefox icon's target to a batchfile that read something like shutdown /c "windows has encountered a c time run error and must now restart". Poor bastard every time he went to open firefox the computer would shutoff lol. I should have taken it a step further and changed the actual exe in the firefox directory instead of repointing the target, but oh well. 

i also deal with a hosted server, which is why i know a smattering of linux commands now. 

53 minutes ago, mustang__1 said:

..and??? batch files for days dude.

"And" nothing... We need to make some kind of point? Or maybe there's some kind of chest beating is de rigueur? Why don't I ever get told these things? 

Thing 1: I hand compiled a TSR using Debug. At any given moment I'm more likely to remember int 21 services than where I left my car keys. Dude. :)

Thing 0:  Windows as a "service" that requires a continual connection, big bandwidth and random down time is not a model that's appropriate for a lot of things that pre-win 8 systems were. Something like Linux Mint provides an OS with a windows like experience without the "service". Yes, the water is deep. However, a user doesn't need to delve more deeply into it than with windows. And my "point"  (if it deserves to be dignified as such) was that Windows has deep waters too. OS apneists will dive deeply into any system but saner souls will float along in their GUI blissfully unaware of the abyss.

2 hours ago, mustang__1 said:

...and??? batch files for days dude. Actually, one of the best pranks i ever pulled was setting Left Hook's firefox icon's target to a batchfile that read something like shutdown /c "windows has encountered a c time run error and must now restart". Poor bastard every time he went to open firefox the computer would shutoff lol. I should have taken it a step further and changed the actual exe in the firefox directory instead of repointing the target, but oh well. 

i also deal with a hosted server, which is why i know a smattering of linux commands now. 

I changed one of my co-worker's desktop background to a screen shot of his desktop. It was like watching a cat chase a laser pointer.

7 hours ago, weightless said:

Gonna have to disagree a bit.... for folks who have been using Windows since windows  became windows knowledge of the command line was necessary.   Even now, Microsoft hasn't created a simple gui app to replace commands like ping, tracert, and ipconfig.

Twice today, while I was out trying to live my life, Windows tried to update my system. Both times it stalled out at 52%, and when restarted, stalled out at 81%..... Both times it said it would return me to my previous version, but just now I got a prompt to update again...... What is it that these fucking geeks don't get?

LEAVE MY FUCKING COMPUTER ALONE!

10 hours ago, Grrr... said:

My work has 1 upped microsoft.  They now do immediate force-close on all programs to reboot.  No warning, data goes bye bye.

You can always set your auto save interval to 30 seconds..........:lol:

On 12/20/2017 at 7:02 PM, Mrleft8 said:

Twice today, while I was out trying to live my life, Windows tried to update my system. Both times it stalled out at 52%, and when restarted, stalled out at 81%..... Both times it said it would return me to my previous version, but just now I got a prompt to update again...... What is it that these fucking geeks don't get?

LEAVE MY FUCKING COMPUTER ALONE!

I feel your pain brother. Having spent my entire career using nothing but Microsoft OS's from DOS to Win10 and every server OS to boot, when windows 8 came out, I gave up. While I can't avoid MircoSoft at work, I can at home. If I were you, I'd give serious consideration to a Mac. I'm no Apple fanboy, but for home use, it fits the bill perfectly. Yes, they are pricey and you'll spent a little time figuring out some of the quirks, but on balance, you'll be happy. 

• Like 1

On 12/20/2017 at 5:52 PM, bhyde said:

I changed one of my co-worker's desktop background to a screen shot of his desktop. It was like watching a cat chase a laser pointer.

Ah, that is a classic one.

Another that can be used with good results is to swap co-workers mouse cables  (if their computers are close enough) 

IMHO the depth of hell is really reserved for the programmers of printers.  Honestly they are the most twitchy bunch of bloatware crap pieces of software known to mankind.  The hours and hours of lost time is incalculable.   

And buy my overpriced ink you sorry losers.

1 hour ago, Windward said:

Ah, that is a classic one.

Another that can be used with good results is to swap co-workers mouse cables  (if their computers are close enough) 

The other day my mouse was not working when I came back to my desk. They had put a small piece of clear tape over they eye! LOL

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Windward said:

IMHO the depth of hell is really reserved for the programmers of printers.  Honestly they are the most twitchy bunch of bloatware crap pieces of software known to mankind.  The hours and hours of lost time is incalculable.   

And buy my overpriced ink you sorry losers.

I buy printers almost as frequently as I buy Lamb..... Not because I love printers, but because they seem to die shortly after they get the first batch of full priced ink put into them.

Let's see..... I can buy a printer for $50 with a half full ink cartridge, and 4 months later buy a full ink cartridge for $50, and have my printer not recognize my computer (Or vice versa) or I can buy a new printer for $50...... Hmmmmm.....

(ETA) Partridge, cartridge...... Whatever!

Printers are assholes. They know EXACTLY how much you need to print something and EXACTLY how long before you really need it.........they have a deliberate inverse relationship with those two variables..........I hate printers.

Well, this topic has been a bit quiet lately......

Worst update experience ever just now - logged on again a few hours after perusing GA earlier in the day and the usual message comes up "Please wait whilst Windows updates...." or something similar. Only this time Windows (10) opens and it's a brand new version as if it had just been installed right out of the box with all the preferences and customisation missing (it even reverted to US date formatting and Office wanted me to re-register its software) - worst of all, all of the folders containing pictures, music documents etc were all empty!

I did manage to find a previous restore point and after four hours of copying most of what I had thought was lost onto a separate drive, I shut down and restarted, and voila - everything is back to normal? Why did everything disappear?

Windows will not be around much longer.  It will be the next thing to die, IMHO.  All the other operating systems are free, and Microsoft is a bloated pig of an organization addicted to the money that Windows and the rest of its inefficient software will shortly no longer make.  Unless, of course, they are offering me a job, in which case Windows is the best thing ever.

On 12/21/2017 at 6:13 AM, Que said:

And use terminal on a Mac!

Sadly, I have to confess that that is true.

In my defence I *did* learn programming back when punch cards were still in wide use and *any* CRT cost shitloads and ran at 1200 baud - if you were lucky. A good knowledge of a CLI was essential to survival.

I can still get by quite happily - if I absolutely *must* - with vi as an editor.

FKT

7 hours ago, 42 South said:

Well, this topic has been a bit quiet lately......

Worst update experience ever just now - logged on again a few hours after perusing GA earlier in the day and the usual message comes up "Please wait whilst Windows updates...." or something similar. Only this time Windows (10) opens and it's a brand new version as if it had just been installed right out of the box with all the preferences and customisation missing (it even reverted to US date formatting and Office wanted me to re-register its software) - worst of all, all of the folders containing pictures, music documents etc were all empty!

I did manage to find a previous restore point and after four hours of copying most of what I had thought was lost onto a separate drive, I shut down and restarted, and voila - everything is back to normal? Why did everything disappear?

This is what I'm talking about.... They fuck around and then you lose stuff....Even stuff you carefully saved....

On 12/18/2017 at 12:49 AM, Mr. Squirrel said:

All of you W10 users/haters should install the "Show or Hide Updates" troubleshooter - http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2/2/f22d5fdb-59cd-4275-8c95-1be17bf70b21/wushowhide.diagcab

Once you install that you are able to look at all installed and pending updates and either block them, delay them, or remove them.

The Microsoft Office Validation Add-in was the one update that repeatedly chapped my ass.  They want to scan every Office file I try to open.  I appreciate the sentiment, but when I routinely open 50+ MB Excel files that contain over 5000 lines of VBA macro code any scans take forever.

MS

I know it's an old post,  but can you open a document without a internet connection?

. . .and all you folks taking a dump on Linux are a little bit out of line.  Sure, there are *far* too many distros out there, but if you are transitioning from Windows, try Gubuntu (the Gnome version of Ubuntu).  Looks a little like the old (XP) version of Windows, and works pretty much like it.  I hate the stock "unity" interface that comes with regular Ubuntu.

That being said, you don't ever really have to learn any command line stuff with Gubuntu, but since I am an Old Fart, I use the CLI more than most.  And it's all CLI on the headless multiple *BSD at home and work.

The only MS machine that is ever in the house is my daughter's (when she comes home from the EU), and that tends to mess with the WIFI AP which for some reason *hates* having both MS and linux machines on the same network.  It's the only time I ever need to reboot the AP. . .

15 hours ago, bplipschitz said:

. . .and all you folks taking a dump on Linux are a little bit out of line.  Sure, there are *far* too many distros out there, but if you are transitioning from Windows, try Gubuntu (the Gnome version of Ubuntu).  Looks a little like the old (XP) version of Windows, and works pretty much like it.  I hate the stock "unity" interface that comes with regular Ubuntu.

That being said, you don't ever really have to learn any command line stuff with Gubuntu, but since I am an Old Fart, I use the CLI more than most.  And it's all CLI on the headless multiple *BSD at home and work.

The only MS machine that is ever in the house is my daughter's (when she comes home from the EU), and that tends to mess with the WIFI AP which for some reason *hates* having both MS and linux machines on the same network.  It's the only time I ever need to reboot the AP. . .

i would love to move our 15 or so work computers to Linux when the time comes (most were purchased in 2012, how much longer can they go? knock on wood) but i'm not sure how it'll play it with Smash90, windows server 2012 and 2008, sql server, etc etc. the thought of needing to go to W10, despite that i've now had some experience and its not quite as bad as i thought (very very fucking close, though), is not something that lets me sleep easily at night. 

10 minutes ago, mustang__1 said:

i would love to move our 15 or so work computers to Linux when the time comes (most were purchased in 2012, how much longer can they go? knock on wood) but i'm not sure how it'll play it with Smash90, windows server 2012 and 2008, sql server, etc etc. the thought of needing to go to W10, despite that i've now had some experience and its not quite as bad as i thought (very very fucking close, though), is not something that lets me sleep easily at night. 

It really depends upon how you're accessing windows server, SQL server, etc.  You can attach windows folders from Windows Server with smb (I do it at work -- I run my Gubuntu laptop for everything I need, except for the two things we do in Access, then I access my mostly unused W7 desktop).  Do a little research on Ubuntu, smb and Windows Server.

As for Smash90 (of which I know nothing), you might have to keep either a couple of MS machines around to run it, run it in a virtual machine running MS, or some other option.

For the most part, unless your folks are doing super complicated things with the Office suite, LibreOffice is fully compatible enough with the MS stuff.

We (fortunately) don't run SQL server at work -- we do most of our SQL on MySQL running on FreeBSD servers (which are the ones that I administrate).

Everyone else in our office runs Windows.