Sign in to follow this  

Well I guess its that time again.

Ferrari will reveal Feb 22  https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferrari-sets-february-launch-date-for-2018-f1-car-989455/

Merc will likely have 1000 HP to go with their 50% Efficiency https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mercedes-close-breaking-1000bhp-barrier-engine-989330/ can anyone touch them?

Renault in the back of a McLaren and Honda in the back of a Torro Rosso, who will finish more races?

Will they really only have 3 engines for next year?

Will Seb exorcise his demons and eliminate the occasional red mists?

Will Valterri emerge to be a true contender?

Will we finally get "legal" live streaming without a cable package here in US?

Lots of Questions

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

VM

who will be seating behind the wheel of the second williams' car at the begining of the season?

my guess is sirotkin but they really want to put robert there. I think their latest delay is to give him more time to try to round up more $$$$.

I think merc will claim wcc again because kimi isn't reliable enough. wdc should be real close, though (unless merc's 1000bhp claim comes true). hoping for a 3 way fight.

2 hours ago, derelicte said:

my guess is sirotkin but they really want to put robert there. I think their latest delay is to give him more time to try to round up more $$$$.

I think merc will claim wcc again because kimi isn't reliable enough. wdc should be real close, though (unless merc's 1000bhp claim comes true). hoping for a 3 way fight.

1,000 BHP???  Must be including the electrical, and DRS??  Aren't they only like 2-liter 6 bangers?

1 hour ago, billy backstay said:

1,000 BHP???  Must be including the electrical, and DRS??  Aren't they only like 2-liter 6 bangers?

1.6l v6.  DRS has nothing to do with power. You must be thinking MGUK and MGUH. Rumors for the last year that Merc was pushing 1,000 bhp in a quali mode. It would be easy except for the max fuel flow limits. 

40 minutes ago, Innocent Bystander said:

1.6l v6.  DRS has nothing to do with power. You must be thinking MGUK and MGUH. Rumors for the last year that Merc was pushing 1,000 bhp in a quali mode. It would be easy except for the max fuel flow limits. 

So all the 1,000 BHP is from the V-6, not including electric power?  Don't know what MGUK of MGUH means, sorry...

Motor generator unit kinetic ( the old KERS regenerative braking system) and Motor Generator Unit Heat which is the two way turbo that charges a battery with excess energy from the turbo and then spins up the turbo electrically on acceleration so lag is eliminated and boost instantly available.  

5 minutes ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Motor generator unit kinetic ( the old KERS regenerative braking system) and Motor Generator Unit Heat which is the two way turbo that charges a battery with excess energy from the turbo and then spins up the turbo electrically on acceleration so lag is eliminated and boost instantly available.  

So, not all 1,000 BHP are coming from the 1.6 liter V-6?  Thanks!

I remember when a Mini Cooper S 1293 cc transverse 4 with cam in block was good power, 100 HP from a 100 cubic inch, IIIRC???

Didn't expect this:

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/11202396/daniil-kvyat-joins-ferrari-as-development-driver

Daniil Kvyat has been handed a surprise Formula 1 lifeline by Ferrari after being confirmed as the team's new development driver.

The announcement comes just three months after the Russian was axed by Toro Rosso and rules out the prospect of Kvyat, who has two podiums and 133 points in his 72 career starts, taking the 2018 Williams seat.

Kvyat now joins Charles Leclerc and Antonio Giovinazzi in the Ferrari reserve ranks, though Leclerc has a full-time seat with Sauber this season while Giovinazzi is the Swiss team's third driver.

Fellow Toro Rosso exile Jean Eric Vergne, was previously a development driver for the Scuderia.

Kvyat's new role comes after a roller-coaster season with Toro Rosso.

First, Kvyat was benched for Pierre Gasly in Malaysia, before making a one-off return at the United States GP. After that race, he lost his seat and was dropped from the Red Bull stable entirely.

More to follow.

Doesn't Kvyat bring sponsor money with him? EDIT: Isn't he related to some Oligarch, or something?

Its finally official

Sirotkin at Williams with Kubica as reserve.

Pretty Astute by Paddy to keep Kubica around IMO

2 hours ago, Nice! said:

I haven't heard - is PDR still part  of the team?

No.  Drivers are Stroll and Sergei Sirotkin.  Reserve driver is Robert Kubica.  Stroll and Sirotkin bring big sponsor/family $$.

MS

12 minutes ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

No.  Drivers are Stroll and Sergei Sirotkin.  Reserve driver is Robert Kubica.  Stroll and Sirotkin bring big sponsor/family $$.

MS

I thought the Russian Kvyat also brought sponsor money to the program, no??  Perez has Mexican oil money, IIRC?

Saw bernie, lauda, and gerhard berger in the stands at the hahnenkamm downhill as well as arnold the terminator on the telly last weekend. arnie looked the happiest sitting in a seat with the masses in a big cape and a tyrolian hat covered with snow. I miss bernie.

On 1/27/2018 at 9:04 AM, vibroman said:

latest Reveal Dates

germany-4.jpg Mercedes February 22

italy-2.jpg FerrariFebruary 22

austria-2.jpg Red Bull

india-2.jpg Force India

united_kingdom-2.jpg WilliamsFebruary 15

france-2.jpg Renault  February 20

italy-2.jpg Toro RossoFebruary 25

united_states-2.jpg Haas

united_kingdom-2.jpg McLarenFebruary 23

switzerland-3.jpg Sauber  February 20

Updated to include AR Sauber and Renault dates

31 minutes ago, derelicte said:

no more grid girls in f1.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/42890261

English former Grid Girl, on why she loved being a grid girl, did not feel sexualized, or inappropriately treated ever......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/42358512/why-i-loved-being-an-f1-grid-girl

More evidence of the ability of society's radical minorities to weaponize social media to control the majority. Democracy ?  Bah Humbug !!!

FFS what is wrong with having beautiful intelligent women adding to a brand that has been built on Glamour. Its not like they are parading around half naked, like the women is just about every tv show and commercial these days. (NTTIAWWT ;-))

Bad Form Mr Bratches

F1 wants women in the cockpit, not being objectified. I've got no problem with that.

A women on breakfast TV was complaining that this change was a poor decision, highlighting 2 things.

1) Models on the F1 grids have been stylishly dressed for many years now, not in "overtly sexual outfits" 

2) These models want and like to do this because they choose to do it and it's their job. The women doing this work are not the supermodel variety who are paid fortunes for this gig.

Dumb and pointless decision.

12 hours ago, Nice! said:

F1 wants women in the cockpit, not being objectified. I've got no problem with that.

Whether there are grid girls or not, this does nothing to help or hamper getting a women in the F1 cockpit.  

• Like 1

so who is going to hold the signs now? so instead of getting unequal pay for holding the signs they are just out of a job. now there is even less reason to watch the per race crap

No Buxton = good     no grid girls = Bad

I guess its only a matter of time until these folks get their hands on the girls at hooters and  cheerleaders they start dressing like quakers.

and in all honesty,  watching F1 in the US,  its not like he grid girls got that much TV exposure other than a quick pan by the camera.

10 hours ago, hoppy said:

Whether there are grid girls or not, this does nothing to help or hamper getting a women in the F1 cockpit.  

I disagree. Little girls growing up watching F1 with their family see that men drive the race cars and women stand and look pretty. They learn from that.

Sure, it's a small thing, but its indicative of a bigger, systemic societal problem. My nieces are 4 and 6  and I don't want them growing up thinking they can't do whatever they want to do with their lives.

My $0.02

4 hours ago, Nice! said:

I disagree. Little girls growing up watching F1 with their family see that men drive the race cars and women stand and look pretty. They learn from that.

Sure, it's a small thing, but its indicative of a bigger, systemic societal problem. My nieces are 4 and 6  and I don't want them growing up thinking they can't do whatever they want to do with their lives.

My $0.02

And how is only seeing men on the grid going to help them think they can do whatever they want? 

It does now mean that if they are part of the 0.0001% of girls/women who grow up wanting to be a model, that there is one more work opportunity gone forever.

When she's older I'll be teaching my 1 year old daughter she can do whatever she wants to do with her life regardless of images they see. I'd like to think that when my daughter grows up, she would see the grid girls and male drivers as a challenge, an opportunity to upset the apple cart by motivating her to become a driver on the grid so she can insist on a male model in front of her car.

I wish more people saw these sort of things as a challenge rather than dumbing down society...

the pendulum has swung too far right .

the privateers are gone, the drunken ladys man drivers are gone, the danger is (mostly) gone, the noise is gone, the grid girls might as well go to. We've changed, F1s changed. It'll have to find a new way to be glamorous because glamours changed.

I watched an entertaining 4 part series about the start of maclaren's 2017 season. imo best part was when the honda guys try to fire up the engine for the first time and it won't fire. the mac guys are snickering and rolling their eyes. the disastrous barcelona test was really disappointing to the mechanics, engineers, managers who worked a lot of overtime to get the car there. of course we all know how it panned out.

grand prix driver on amazon prime. 

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 12:17 PM, Nice! said:

My $0.02

What if they aspired to be F1 Grid Girls??  :D

On 2/12/2018 at 12:36 PM, derelicte said:

I watched an entertaining 4 part series about the start of maclaren's 2017 season. imo best part was when the honda guys try to fire up the engine for the first time and it won't fire. the mac guys are snickering and rolling their eyes. the disastrous barcelona test was really disappointing to the mechanics, engineers, managers who worked a lot of overtime to get the car there. of course we all know how it panned out.

grand prix driver on amazon prime. 

+1 

Thanks for the heads up

It was interesting how disengaged,  somewhat understandably, Alonso was from the team. He certainly appeared to show up only when he had to and appeared to be last there each time. 

28 minutes ago, vibroman said:

+1 

Thanks for the heads up

It was interesting how disengaged,  somewhat understandably, Alonso was from the team. He certainly appeared to show up only when he had to and appeared to be last there each time. 

Agree. Good series. 

I keep blocking out forgetting about the Halo.

It's going to be a long time before there's a woman that is actually competitive in F1.  There's maybe one woman every generation that is competitive in North American racing, there needs to be atleast 100 of those before one is found that can legitimately hack the big time and be more than just a marketing novelty (*cough* Danica *cough*).

There simply isn't a enough of a critical mass to generate a top tier driver.

It's almost as if there's more girls that want to be grid girls instead of drivers.

Meh. The halo makes the car look different. By the 3rd race when something exciting is happening in the season (Torro Roso on the podium!) nobody will even notice them anymore.

new look for rbr this year:

DWYsTfGX0AALYgt.jpg

I don't know if there is any truth to this, but we may not be seeing the real halos in these launch photos. I guess the halo can have an areo component to it and the teams may be holding off on revealing the real halo until testing or melbourne.

I guess we'll see. all I know is the black halos look better to me.

Why the halo? What's it protecting the driver from? Alonso did some high speed, airborn rolling off the course early last year. Pulled himself out and walked away... Senna got a strut to the head, halo wouldn't have done shit.

Why not just go to a canopy.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Liquid said:

Why the halo? What's it protecting the driver from? Alonso did some high speed, airborn rolling off the course early last year. Pulled himself out and walked away... Senna got a strut to the head, halo wouldn't have done shit.

Why not just go to a canopy.

To keep a tire or other piece of another car out of the drivers head space.

If you didn't follow all the coverage at races last season you might not have seen all the different ideas being tested.  Apparently the HALO was the one that interfered with drivers the least.

1 hour ago, derelicte said:

I think their primary concern is protecting drivers from a jules bianchi type of crash. they tried the canopy but some drivers complained about the distortion. the halo was the least distracting option they had. 

http://www.thedrive.com/accelerator/12701/formula-one-opts-for-the-halo-over-the-shield-for-2018

Bianchi was killed by a Diffuse Axonal injury. Basically, his head stopped and his brain didn’t, severing connections all through his brain, the cabling, if you will. Slowing from something like 140 mph to zero in about 1’ created the injury. Halo would have not changed the outcome. 

Tethers have pretty much stopped wheel/tire loss at speed. Smaller debris will make it through the Halo. It may have some impact on a “crashdor” style driveover. It’s the most unobtrusive “something” that FIA could devise but is not a fix all. 

We’ll get used to the look. 

• Like 1

I like the looks the wind screen over the halo,  but I could also see that the windscreen becoming clouded by tire rubber, fluids, bugs, etc. which would require a pit stop to do a tear off like th NASCAR guys do....

glad to see that f1 is looking out for the drivers...

that renault looks like it has a shark fin to me. maybe because it it thinner for a greater area. I think most of these cars would look better if they didn't have any fin.

11 hours ago, derelicte said:

alfa is back:

apn8khfxb0cqmzwglyk6.jpg

a0dytaatpso1v4pnrbe9.jpg

their drivers don't look too happy about it, though. :)

Aero looks very busy at the midbody transition. Trying to scare the air into submission?

i hate the f...ing halo. period.

it will always remind me of this

havaianas.jpg

I like the way the trailing edge of the shark fin is mostly white, makes it disappear.  The red halo is less intrusive also.

Very nice.

5a8ed5a2d42a9_Ferrari2918.thumb.jpg.f04b4a7be0a8b2429c86f72890252676.jpg

look how skinny the waist is!

GettyImages-9228852221.jpg

I wonder what last year's car looked like from this angle. If it weren't for the radiators it could have been as wide as the old f1 cars from the 50s and 60s.

1 hour ago, derelicte said:

For Renault PU's.  STR running the Honda this year and put in a bunch of laps.  

RIcciardo had quickest time today, not that day one at Barcelona is any true indication of anyone's power available, just what they used or showed.  

No one seemed to show any great weakness today.  Everybody put in a credible number of laps and nobody appeared to break anything dramatic other than Alonso's wheel loss.  Hope they get some warm, dry weather this week but the forecast isn't promising.  

According to Bratches the US will be one of the Markets they will launch the OTT streaming this year. I hope you wont need a cable package to get it.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/bratches-tv-coverage-revamped-2018-1009385/?utm_source=spotim&utm_medium=spotim_recirculation&spotim_referrer=recirculation

the demo looks pretty nice with the ability to customize what you want to see on the screen:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2018/2/formula-1-to-launch-f1-tv-a-live-grand-prix-subscription-service.html

price of $8 - $12 per month means it will be $12. :) I really hope they have a roku app. they only mention apple, android and amazon apps. :(

Perfect timing, coinciding with SWMBO agreeing to cancel the cable subscription.  Thanks F1!

Snow in Barcelona this morning.  Finally cleared enough for a co0uple of brave souls to go out on full wets and then back to the pits as "too wet and cold to do anything meaningful."  

Round 2 at Barcelona and virtually everybody ran race simulations. Even McLaren put in more than 100 laps today. STR showing good reliability with the Honda of no headlines power unit. As usual, Merc, Ferrari and RBR showing some pace but likely hiding as much as they are showing. Merc didn’t even bring ultra softs to the test. Haas and Sauber the slow cousins but knocking down laps. 

One more day in the sunshine and then get ready for Albert Park. Will it be a fight to the podium or survival challenge for those who don’t break?

On another track, no more rear wheel pods in Indycar. Downforce reduced by 20% and drag down by 15%. Dallara UAK18

Yeah, it’s a spec racer but the racing should be more about the driver, the car is better looking (unless you are Adrian Newey) and overtaking with a combination of PTP and less aero wake allowing closer following should improve the show. And no HALO  

I know this has been coming since November or December, but I guess now we actually have a venue...

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2018/3/hypersoft-tyres-to-appear-in-canada.html

I mean, to me the tyre selection is getting a little absurd at this point... ok, they announced a new 'super hard' at the same time back then, but if last year's 'super soft'  could go HALF of Brasil, who the eff is going to go with a 'super hard'?? EVER?

Anyone know if they are going to roll out a streaming service?   My money is waiting....

Underwhelmed with liberty and ESPN in the US so far. Live coverage of P3, quali and the race. No sign of replay in normal viewing times so it’s   the middle of the night or record it. Hardly a way to build viewers. 

Have to check if it’s going to be on ESPN on demand for streaming. 

So Liberty’s plan is less coverage at less convenient times. Great. 

Nice.  Amazing engine technology, event coverage from the stone age.  Advertisers must be pleased.