Sign in to follow this  

The safety car has sounded way better than the race cars for a while now, the medic's car is one serious grocery getter. 

merc on top for fp1 and 2, but max is close behind followed by ferrari! both macs are in the top 10 and rain is forecast for quali. I hope this is going to be fun!

Just watching the Qualifying highlights here in the UK, as pointed out by Mark Webber, the TV folks have had a shocker with regards to on board footage and the Halo...can't see shit! Apparently the TV and teams are 'working' on a solution, but with 8-10 months of lead time, no one saw this problem, no pun intended.

Edit...seems the issues is only with the cars carrying the camera mounted on the side of the air intake, the wing above the driver is still ok for picture. 

On 12/18/2017 at 7:40 PM, billy backstay said:

So, not all 1,000 BHP are coming from the 1.6 liter V-6?  Thanks!

I remember when a Mini Cooper S 1293 cc transverse 4 with cam in block was good power, 100 HP from a 100 cubic inch, IIIRC???

The 1500 cc 4 cyl. turbo BMW M12/13 made well over 1000 hp 30 years ago, and it was based on a production engine.  From wiki:   The 1986 engine was claimed to have produced a maximum output of 1,400 hp (1,044 kW) in qualifying trim, which would make it the most powerful engine of all the turbo-charged engines, as well as non-turbo charged engines, ever used in Formula-1 racing.

27 minutes ago, J28 said:

The 1500 cc 4 cyl. turbo BMW M12/13 made well over 1000 hp 30 years ago, and it was based on a production engine.  From wiki:   The 1986 engine was claimed to have produced a maximum output of 1,400 hp (1,044 kW) in qualifying trim, which would make it the most powerful engine of all the turbo-charged engines, as well as non-turbo charged engines, ever used in Formula-1 racing.

As I recall, those were one session engines that didn’t make the race. Part of the reason for engine limits to attempt to hold down cost. Emphasis on attempt. The engine penalties are still stupid. 

Just watched streaming replay of p-3 and quali oN espn online app.  Running the Sky team feed. Impressed. Just wish they would replay the rest of the pre and post shows sine thay happened late in the night live. 

Will try F-TV Pro one it is proven. 

4 hours ago, captnjoe said:

Qualifying:  Pretty much same old, except HAAS!

I was pleasantly surprised by them as well, the Bottas shunt turned out to be well timed for me, I managed to reload the wife's pill box during the cleanup!

On 2/23/2018 at 10:10 AM, Innocent Bystander said:

Lot a of empty sponsor space on that car. 

20 minutes into the "On the Grid" program before they had anyone say a fucking word on ESPN.  Maybe the worst start to F1 coverage of all time.  Then again I guess they have only one way to go.  Non plused with the coverage so far.

Stupid fucking FOM...
MS

Some interesting twists in the story, some things haven’t changed, eg Honda, and the lack of ability to attach wheels to both their cars hurt another team badly, won’t say anymore as I know most of you don’t watch it live.

Skipped the intro myself, went straight to the meat (roll off), yay! at the pointy end got to hear the world's best national anthem (& it's intro, fan of "the Shu" since Benneton days), gutted for HAAS, wonder what they'll be practicing? (actually not), obviously "smilin Dan" keen to make the podium & do his bit with his boot (revolting) didn't happen.

So on the WTF side, Williams? & it looks like Force Team India has gone off the boil quite a bit, Honda problems again, not shocking, Mclaren on the improve but the amount of empty space on the body work is a little alarming.

Lastly, it's going to take some time for me to get used to the presenters, very different cadence from Hobbs/Matchet.

wow that was a lucky break for seb. even if lewis was driving at the max he could I think he still would have lost. seems like they need to scale pit lane speeds with the vsc/sc speeds. 

but for now it is nice to see seb and ferrari at the top and maclaren back in the running.

no spoiler alert here, but like Martin Brundle said; the safety car is supposed to NOT advantage any car, but the driver who is 1st, stole it from #2, by pitting during the Safety car laps.  Legal, but certainly violates the intent?  Otherwise, a great race with a lots of passing, and major bummer for the promising newest team

1 hour ago, billy backstay said:

no spoiler alert here, but like Martin Brundle said; the safety car is supposed to NOT advantage any car, but the driver who is 1st, stole it from #2, by pitting during the Safety car laps.  Legal, but certainly violates the intent?  Otherwise, a great race with a lots of passing, and major bummer for the promising newest team

Brundle is wrong.

Virtual safety car was introduced after the Bianchi accident, with the sole purpose of having a way to force the drivers to slow down, without full deployment of the safety car. Is was also supposed to reduce the impact on the running order compared to full SC, which it does. It's however impossible to do such things without any impact at all. Even if you closed the pits, the VSC would have other consequences such as fuel saving, tyre saving etc., which is unavoidable.

I guess Brundle didn't say the same thing when Hamilton benefitted form the VSC last year.

The contraption a.k.a. halo is fugly as hell!

Were there any racing passes today (not counting pits, VSC or off track adventures)? 

Verstappen should have been faster than Alonso.  

The circuit or this years design?  Or was Alonso very, very good at making his car "Fat"?

ESPN F1 coverage sucks!  Using SkySports F1 feed is okay as a cheap alternative, but ESPN's director's timing of commercials and inability to playback incidents was pitiful.  F1 coverage here in the US has gone down since the demise of the Speed Channel...

Saw qualifying Saturday morning, thought the SKY guys were OK. Mid Atlantic snow storm took the power down about 3 hours before grid formation so I missed the race. Seems ESPN tanked the broadcast. I noticed the halo completely screwed the track view. Like Will Buxton (sp) still in the pits. Mercedes party mode, as Daniel said, "a kick in the nuts". If MacLean finishes 4th or 5th in the Constructor's championship , that should make up for losses for dumping Honda. I'm picking Kimi for this year's dark horse. 

Until next race weekend, that's all I've got to say about the that. 

Y'all have a great week. 

What a joke the coverage was. Terrible. Question for the Sky viewers do you have commercial breaks? Cause espn broke at the wrong time more times then not.

30 minutes ago, Peacefrog said:

What a joke the coverage was. Terrible. Question for the Sky viewers do you have commercial breaks? Cause espn broke at the wrong time more times then not.

Watch the Sky coverage live in South Africa, not a single commercial break in 3 hours!

2 hours ago, Peacefrog said:

And when Espn did  break. It seemed like the side by side commercials lasted for what seemed like 4-5 minutes.  And I k ow that mothers car wax is a major sponsor. 

NASCAR closes pit lane as soon as th caution flag flies  partly to prevent teams gaining an advantage that happen to be close to the pit road entry while on track when the caution flag waves.  And once cars are tucked behind the pace car and settled down they open pit road.   No I’m  not advocating f1 be like nascar.....

under the vsc it’s a loophole and others will take advantage...

2 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

And when Espn did  break. It seemed like the side by side commercials lasted for what seemed like 4-5 minutes.  And I k ow that mothers car wax is a major sponsor. 

NASCAR closes pit lane as soon as th caution flag flies  partly to prevent teams gaining an advantage that happen to be close to the pit road entry while on track when the caution flag waves.  And once cars are tucked behind the pace car and settled down they open pit road.   No I’m  not advocating f1 be like nascar.....

under the vsc it’s a loophole and others will take have taken advantage...

Fixed it for you.  

Hamilton won the 2017 Spanish GP as a direct result of capitalizing on the timing of a VSC.

MS

I agree with others here about the shitty coverage, long adverts, and no replays of crucial moments!!  Brundle's perspective is excellent, as a former driver, but the main announcer bloke sounds like the Carnival Barker calling a horse race, FFS!!  Like fingernails on a chalkboard...

On 3/24/2018 at 9:14 AM, Innocent Bystander said:

As I recall, those were one session engines that didn’t make the race. Part of the reason for engine limits to attempt to hold down cost. Emphasis on attempt. The engine penalties are still stupid. 

That was also the toluene/benzene/xylene fuel era. BMW was rumored to have weirder stuff in their fuel. Could run much higher boost pressures on the turbo without detonation and you had higher energy density. At a cost of a couple hundred $ per L or something so banned for cost reasons.

what I saw of the Sky coverage was good. ESPN butchery wasn't good.

15 hours ago, billy backstay said:

I agree with others here about the shitty coverage, long adverts, and no replays of crucial moments!!  Brundle's perspective is excellent, as a former driver, but the main announcer bloke sounds like the Carnival Barker calling a horse race, FFS!!  Like fingernails on a chalkboard...

come on, crofty isn't that bad! he actually knows what he is talking about and the knows all of the drivers because they are actually at the race. he is one of the few on the sky broadcast team that isn't a wdc or was at least an ex-f1 driver. too bad you didn't get krazitz in the pits, though.

9 minutes ago, derelicte said:

come on, crofty isn't that bad! he actually knows what he is talking about and the knows all of the drivers because they are actually at the race. he is one of the few on the sky broadcast team that isn't a wdc or was at least an ex-f1 driver. too bad you didn't get krazitz in the pits, though.

Sorry the guys droning voice was nearly as annoying as an auctioneer...

Got home late yesterday and watched the ESPN recorded coverage with my son.  I previously watched the ESPN "Watch" replay online.  

Looks like ESPN just ran the Sky feed and then shoved in commercials to pay the bills.  No transition in or out (since Sky is commercial free).  Damn little post race interviews other than the podium stuff.  NBC was bad, but at least we got to hear most of the drivers post race and some post race analysis.  Big step up needed.  

2 hours ago, derelicte said:

fair enough. I can't stand buxton myself.

yes, I agree that he is a bit "over the top".

Real pity both HAAS cars retired with mechanical issues.  They were both running near the front, and seemed to be keeping pace with the top dogs.  Good for Ricciardi in the Red Bull, but Max seemed to be off his game.??

they were mechanics issues, not mechanical. :) you would have thought that after the first wheel nut failure they would have been super extra careful with the second stop to be 100% it was ok, but no. that was baffling to me.

I was bummed about the retirements, though. they had a bunch of points lined up. 

46 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Real pity both HAAS cars retired with mechanical issues.  They were both running near the front, and seemed to be keeping pace with the top dogs.  Good for Ricciardi in the Red Bull, but Max seemed to be off his game.??

Heard somewhere Max hurt the car with the spin. 

3 minutes ago, derelicte said:

they were mechanics issues, not mechanical. :) you would have thought that after the first wheel nut failure they would have been super extra careful with the second stop to be 100% it was ok, but no. that was baffling to me.

I was bummed about the retirements, though. they had a bunch of points lined up. 

The crazy thing is that both times the mechanic on the problem wheel knew there was a problem and still the car was released, looked like left rear the first car and left front the next time. As well as practicing their wheel changes they also need to have a good look at the entire process, from the car arriving in the pit until it gets given the green light to be released, although that all often happens in less than 3 seconds!

Statement posted on “ARS Technica” and attributed to ESPN 

We deeply apologize to Formula 1 fans for the technical issues that caused them to miss the first 20 minutes of the pre-race show for the Australian Grand Prix. We are sorry that our first F1 telecast did not go as smoothly as we would have liked but we are taking steps to prevent those same issues from occurring in the future. We thank the fans for watching and for their incredible passion for Formula 1.

cross threaded nuts and they were fined 10k for it. they attributed it to lack of practice. I thought others teams has some sort of electrical interlock on the guns to trigger the green go ahead light but maybe I made that up.

there was no excuse for the second one. they absolutely should have been more careful the second time.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2018/3/cross-threaded-wheel-nuts-caused-haas-double-dnf.html

Glad it wasn't just me who was disappointed with ESPN. Crofty is plain average. Brundle has always been good.

I grew up in the Murray Walker era of commentating so Leigh Diffey was fine for me. I actually enjoyed the NBCSN coverage. I have never thought that Sky did anything to stand out from NBCSN considering I watch F1 both sides of the Atlantic. Considering Liberty thought that the NBCSN deal was bullshit you would have thought they would put together a solid package of quality coverage to grow the US market. Instead they have totally half-assed it. Critical parts of the race were missed by ads and no review.

Always fun when they refer to Brundle's turn 3 crash in 1996. I went back and watched it. A few things stood out. It was the first race using the overhead starting lights instead of a national flag. Also the cockpit sides were raised to provide extra protection. Jordan (Brundle's team) caused controversy by making the cockpit protection part of the drivers tub and not in the main structure of the car. After Brundle's crash Jordan changed their cockpit protection quick smart.  The mid 90's car look so good but even with the extra protection the drivers look very exposed compared to 2017 cars.

Thanks I’ll put it on the list

Just finished listening to Adrian Newey’s book. How to build a car. A little technical at times but a good listen/read for enthusiasts. Some good insights into the evolution of the sport. 

VM

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 11:26 PM, Soley said:

Glad it wasn't just me who was disappointed with ESPN. Crofty is plain average. Brundle has always been good.

I grew up in the Murray Walker era of commentating so Leigh Diffey was fine for me. I actually enjoyed the NBCSN coverage. I have never thought that Sky did anything to stand out from NBCSN considering I watch F1 both sides of the Atlantic. Considering Liberty thought that the NBCSN deal was bullshit you would have thought they would put together a solid package of quality coverage to grow the US market. Instead they have totally half-assed it. Critical parts of the race were missed by ads and no review.

Always fun when they refer to Brundle's turn 3 crash in 1996. I went back and watched it. A few things stood out. It was the first race using the overhead starting lights instead of a national flag. Also the cockpit sides were raised to provide extra protection. Jordan (Brundle's team) caused controversy by making the cockpit protection part of the drivers tub and not in the main structure of the car. After Brundle's crash Jordan changed their cockpit protection quick smart.  The mid 90's car look so good but even with the extra protection the drivers look very exposed compared to 2017 cars.

I also think this is way inferior to where we came from with Diffey, Hobbs and Matchett.  Buxton was a tad "over the top" with enthusiasm, but coverage and replays of key moments were head and shoulders above what's on offer now........

In the middle of watching the Bahrain race but I'm going to go on record saying that I still don't see what anybody sees in Verstappen.  Last race he was off the track continually, the only one who went off so many times and this time around he nails Hamilton but luckily Max gets the flat and Hamilton goes on.  He is always part of the problem.  He's got a fast car and that's the only thing that makes him competitive.  Put him in a Williams and he'd be pulling up the back of the field.

• Like 1

Wow that was a cliff hanger. pretty good race throughout the field. Agreed that Max is writing checks his talent can't cash right now. Hopefully Helmut will get hold of him and calm him down a little, I get a sense he is at a crossroads. Once he gets a reputation like crashtor did its hard to shed.

I was in 2 minds to watch it live through ESPN via sling ($20/month) or wait for the UK Channel 4 replay later in the day (free). Ponied up and  watched the ESPN2 feed via Sling TV and no commercials during race. Not sure if thats a Sling thing or EPSN2 thing. Any one get the direct ESPN2 feed? Sky coverage team is pretty good and I am finally coming around to Brundle a little. The CH 4 team is also pretty good with Coulthard and Webber.  At $20 per month the sling thing is not bad especially without commercials. Not sure if the no commercials is a temporary response to the Australia debacle or the way it will be going forward still interested to see if the F1 OTT viewer will be much better. 

VM

I watched the espn feed through directv.  It was good I thought.

Gasly raced so well I'm thinking that Max needs to watch himself or he's going to get relegated to the Toro Rosso team and Gasly will get the promotion.

1 hour ago, vibroman said:

Wow that was a cliff hanger. pretty good race throughout the field. Agreed that Max is writing checks his talent can't cash right now. Hopefully Helmut will get hold of him and calm him down a little, I get a sense he is at a crossroads. Once he gets a reputation like crashtor did its hard to shed.

I was in 2 minds to watch it live through ESPN via sling ($20/month) or wait for the UK Channel 4 replay later in the day (free). Ponied up and  watched the ESPN2 feed via Sling TV and no commercials during race. Not sure if thats a Sling thing or EPSN2 thing. Any one get the direct ESPN2 feed? Sky coverage team is pretty good and I am finally coming around to Brundle a little. The CH 4 team is also pretty good with Coulthard and Webber.  At $20 per month the sling thing is not bad especially without commercials. Not sure if the no commercials is a temporary response to the Australia debacle or the way it will be going forward still interested to see if the F1 OTT viewer will be much better. 

VM

I get ESPN2 directly. No commercials today. I guess they took the hatred about Australia to heart. 

Good race. 8 manufacturers finished in the top 10. But if a surprise who the only retirements were. 

Max is at a crossroad in his career. He arrived with tons of raw talent but isn’t maturing into a smart driver. His distress today was pretty clearly his own fault despite his attempt to blame the other driver. I’m certain Helmut isn’t happy  

Hope the Ferrari mech is going to be OK. 

ESPN2 was much better with no commercials for all but the beginning of the race.  Most annoying thing is the level of the volume of the cars.  In order to hear the words of the announcers, the droning was so loud, the Missus had to go into the bedroom to have a phone conversation.  And the announcer at the start is an annoying drone, sounds like the caller at the Kentucky Derby!!  Great effort by Vettel, holding off Hammo with fresher tires until the end.  LH was making some progress, but seemed to throw in the towel, when it was apparent he didn't enough legs or laps left to git'er done!  Max has become a real disappointment, and I agree with others here, he best get his shit together, or demotion is nearly certain.  Wonderful to see the still very green HAAS teams guys doing well, especially after the tire change disasters in Melbourne!!  All in all an enjoyable and exciting race, but for the overly loud engine noise.......

1 hour ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Billy,

I think you are the only F-1fan in the world that thinks the cars are too loud.....

I like to hear the words of the commentators, without annoying the other occupants.  Previously, I could always do that, and Missus BB could be in the same room having a chat on the phone.  Our apartment is basically a large Great Room-Kitchen with Dining and Living areas, so the only privacy is the small Bunk room, small Den, or slightly larger Bathroom.  Also 12x12 deck overlooking the Pattaconk Brook, but it was too chilly for her to go there.

BB

Sounds like Ross Braun needs to come to your place. It seems like you have solved one of the issues plaguing the sport for the last few years !!! Could ya scale up ya place to cover a whole track?

that was a great race! a couple of more laps and I think seb would have run out of tires. great run by gasly and honda. max needs to chill. 

1 hour ago, derelicte said:

that was a great race! a couple of more laps and I think seb would have run out of tires. great run by gasly and honda. max needs to chill. 

I agree.  Two more laps and it would have been Merc-Ferrari-Merc. 10 more and it would have been Merc - Merc- Ferrari.   Seb has a magic touch on dead tires.  Seems to be able to stretch them just enough when he needs to.  

1 hour ago, Innocent Bystander said:

I agree.  Two more laps and it would have been Merc-Ferrari-Merc. 10 more and it would have been Merc - Merc- Ferrari.   Seb has a magic touch on dead tires.  Seems to be able to stretch them just enough when he needs to.  

Or if VB could have just gotten past the traffic (also on fresher tires) a lap sooner, I think he would have gotten past in the scheduled race length... was a decent race, though... and (retirements or not) was cool to see Gasly up there at the end... I wish Sauber were better (although they certainly have improved from last year) mostly because I'm a sucker for that livery...

8 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Hamilton's pass of three may have been the slickest move I've ever seen!

3 hours ago, vibroman said:

For those of you that do Facebook might I ask you go and Like the Mothers Polish page or at least like the post where they announced their support of F1 in the US.

AWESOME news for us.  The Sky folks arent too bad.  Not a big fan of Mrs Toto.

I reckon LH would not have needed more than 1 or 2 more laps.  He was coming fast and SV was just barely hanging on.

MS

7 minutes ago, derelicte said:
10 hours ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

Not a big fan of Mrs Toto.

I give up. who is this?

You talking about Suzie?  I don't thing she's too bad.  Decent driver. Probably the woman closest to getting an F-1 race ride before she stepped aside.  Easy on the eyes.  

Might just stick with ESPN/Sky recording (Quali and race)  or streaming P-1 through p-3 and grid until F1 TV proves itself. 

Watched P-1 and 2 this morning.  Nothing Spectacular but interesting with Ferrari and Merc battling up front and the RB’s somewhat slower followed by lots of midfield mixing.  Ultra softs seem good for less than a lap so it will be interesting to see if anyone uses them in Q-2.  I’m thinking best strategy may be to start on softs and 1 stop to mediums. if unable to clear Q1, maybe start on mediums when heavy and go to softs to be quicker at the end.  

On 4/10/2018 at 8:21 PM, Mr. Squirrel said:

For those of you that do Facebook might I ask you go and Like the Mothers Polish page or at least like the post where they announced their support of F1 in the US.

AWESOME news for us.  The Sky folks arent too bad.  Not a big fan of Mrs Toto.

I reckon LH would not have needed more than 1 or 2 more laps.  He was coming fast and SV was just barely hanging on.

MS

Sky was not too bad except the guys did not seem to STFU, constant British blathering. Can't we just enjoy the view for a few quite moments?

When I watch the 18 footers, at least the Aussies guys let us enjoy the view  without constant bullocks. :)

On 4/11/2018 at 10:19 AM, derelicte said:

susie doesn't work for sky.

I dont know who pays Susie Wolff's salary, but during the US Bahrain coverage on ESPN (Sky feed) she and Mark Webber were on screen discussing the 5er bet they had over whether VB would catch and pass SV.

MS

thats weird because she and Mark are on the Channel 4 team in UK. Maybe Sky were using the channel 4 feed at some point.

11 hours ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

I dont know who pays Susie Wolff's salary, but during the US Bahrain coverage on ESPN (Sky feed) she and Mark Webber were on screen discussing the 5er bet they had over whether VB would catch and pass SV.

MS

Retired driver. Married to Toto Wolff. Now a Mercedes “brand Ambassador” I expect the bet didn’t hurt her and Toto’s net worth. 

Going to be an interesting race tomorrow, all red front row, then Merc and Red Bull.

I want Merc to force verstappen to follow them down to turn one and at the last second dart to each side, leaving the door wide open for him to blaze through the middle taking both ferraris out.  Not sure why I want that...I guess I figure it's just inevitable with max that he'll do something like that.

11 hours ago, WCB said:

I want Merc to force verstappen to follow them down to turn one and at the last second dart to each side, leaving the door wide open for him to blaze through the middle taking both ferraris out.  Not sure why I want that...I guess I figure it's just inevitable with max that he'll do something like that.

That version of the script was not far off the actual version of what happened. Do you have some connections inside F1:]

Well! to my nincompoop countrymen that don't understand/get F1, I would say: watch that one! Those stacked safety car pit stops from Red Bull had me applauding my own fucking TV, & I don't even like smilin Dan (seriously that champagne boot thing is just revolting!).

8 hours ago, Major Tom said:

That version of the script was not far off the actual version of what happened. Do you have some connections inside F1:]

I think Max made a deal with Hamilton, "since I hit you last week, I'll take out Vettel this week."

He's gotta hit somebody, right?

8 hours ago, Major Tom said:

It's easy to predict the inevitable.  

I couldn't believe max nailed vettel like that, though I'm not a fan of either of them.  That coming not long after his off track excursion while trying to get around Hamilton. 

Even the announcers said that in his third season in F1 it's about time that he start to show some patience.

Got to think that Ferrari could probably get better tactical advice from a fortune cookie.

4 minutes ago, Major Tom said:

Got to think that Ferrari could probably get better tactical advice from a fortune cookie.

For sure!!  and Red Bulls double pitting both cars at the same time was a big gamble, but was flawlessy exeucuted and the timing of the Safety Car, was certainly a stroke of luck as well!!

Best F1 race I can remember in recent history!!

So far this season has been exciting, except when you consider that safety car pit stop decisions led to two of the three victories.

If the pits are open when the yellow comes out then game on. Nothing stopping the leaders from getting them fresh tires. All choices made by the teams. Good for Red Bull and Daniel, although the shoe thing is disgusting. I liked how Vettle said he'd wait before saying anything. Hopefully Baku will be as wild as it was last year. We will find out if Ferrari has real power  on the long straights. I'm liking the commercial free broadcast. 

'till next time. Same Bat channel. :)

Any word yet on when F1 will get their streaming service going?  

I think derelicte said Spain in Post 160

If they also use the sky feed then the only thing they would bring for me that I dont get from espn via slingtv would be on demand replay. I can get that via channel 4. Looking forward to seeing what they come with.

2 hours ago, vibroman said:

I think derelicte said Spain in Post 160

If they also use the sky feed then the only thing they would bring for me that I dont get from espn via slingtv would be on demand replay. I can get that via channel 4. Looking forward to seeing what they come with.

ESPN Streaming has on demand for practice, quali and the race.  Pretty basic and you have to have a provider signed up for streaming.  Not all do.  I'll see how F-1 TV works for some of you guys before I sign up at this point of the season.  I'm sure there will be some growing pains.  

I think Ferrari would have done ok with their one stop with Kimi, it was really goofed up by the safety car and Vettel got the Max affect which is getting similar to Pastor Crashdanado's efforts. Safety cars suck period. If they have to have it then they should close the pits as soon as its out. The virtual safety car is a decent attempt at maintaining the math equations each team is working on but then the same thing, close the pits.

Clear air is still an issue for sure which was really apparent last weekend. Just so difficult to pass even with better tires. Given comparable power the overtaking car needs to have much better tires it seems.

The ESPN coverage with Sky is infinitely superior to NBC's and I really liked Hobbs and Matchet. The Sky production has a budget in a different solar system than NBC's and it shows. Brundle has much more access on the grid and just grabs people who clearly like him and he keeps it short and sweet which they like.

7 hours ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

I think Ferrari would have done ok with their one stop with Kimi, it was really goofed up by the safety car and Vettel got the Max affect which is getting similar to Pastor Crashdanado's efforts. Safety cars suck period. If they have to have it then they should close the pits as soon as its out. The virtual safety car is a decent attempt at maintaining the math equations each team is working on but then the same thing, close the pits.

Clear air is still an issue for sure which was really apparent last weekend. Just so difficult to pass even with better tires. Given comparable power the overtaking car needs to have much better tires it seems.

The ESPN coverage with Sky is infinitely superior to NBC's and I really liked Hobbs and Matchet. The Sky production has a budget in a different solar system than NBC's and it shows. Brundle has much more access on the grid and just grabs people who clearly like him and he keeps it short and sweet which they like.

Ferrari kept Kimi out only to help Vettel, fucking his race and then they didn't bring him for softs when he could have been advantaged by the safety car..why do you think he was so pissed on the podium? Bottas was pissed because he knew they had done a great race if only they hadn't have been a SC...but it turned a so so race into a very exciting race which for some reason you didn't like!

By comparing Max to Maldanado shows how little you know about F1...

Mercedes and Ferrari went for track position and "clear air" but Ricciardo showed that passes were possible with better tires even with less power..

Maybe you need to listen to Martin during the race rather than the pit walk to get a clue..

Blow it out your ass. Max is faster than pastor could ever be but he still has the same impulsive 5 iq mist in critical moments. Lets hope he gets over it. Grojean did. Watch the race again. Kimi pits right after getting passed. He had the newest tires of everyone except the red bulls. Fuckin blowhard.

9 hours ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

Blow it out your ass. Max is faster than pastor could ever be but he still has the same impulsive 5 iq mist in critical moments. Lets hope he gets over it. Grojean did. Watch the race again. Kimi pits right after getting passed. He had the newest tires of everyone except the red bulls. Fuckin blowhard.

Max  is making the same aggressive mistakes that Vettel, Hamilton, Schuie Hunt and Gilles made in the early stages in their careers, maybe it's taking him a bit longer to figure out but he will get there, especially knowing that this race was his to lose.... don't know what 5iq mist is..

kimis race was fucked when his 'team' left him out there to back up Bottas to Vettel, even without a SC the best he was going to be was third, perhaps worse with the red bulls likely on a better strategy...you already said how hard it was to pass, he needed softer tires not newer ones..

last I heard it was blow it out your ass motorcycle man...consider it blown....maybe I was a bit harsh last night...

2 hours ago, ro! said:

kimis race was fucked when his 'team' left him out there to back up Bottas to Vettel,

that's the job of the #2 driver.

12 minutes ago, derelicte said:

silly season has started early this year with this report that ricciardo has signed an option with ferrari next year:

http://www.planetf1.com/news/ricciardo-signs-option-with-ferrari-report/

It is interesting in that it reportedly is an agreement to exclusive talks through 30 June. 

Add in the clear signals that Alonso will part ways with McLaren at the end of the season and that likely means Fernando’s F-1 career will end. 

Usually this stuff doesn’t really start until the lead up to summer break. 

So. Who’s moving up and who is moving out?  Isn’t there a new crop of 17 year old drivers waiting in the wings?  

1 hour ago, derelicte said:

silly season has started early this year with this report that ricciardo has signed an option with ferrari next year:

http://www.planetf1.com/news/ricciardo-signs-option-with-ferrari-report/

Is Kimi threatening to retire again?

4 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Is Kimi threatening to retire again?

More the case is how long will Ferrari keeep him around as a good but not great on the way down?  Does Ferrari want a domestique with solid #2 potential or someone to push Seb and compete as a (nearly) co-equal?  Either is a valid option.  

Of course, this may be a plan to push Kimi.  Seems his performance always improves once the silly season gets going and the Kimi’s Last Season rumors start.  Starting rumors early in the season may be a motivational message.  

9 minutes ago, Innocent Bystander said:

More the case is how long will Ferrari keeep him around as a good but not great on the way down?  Does Ferrari want a domestique with solid #2 potential or someone to push Seb and compete as a (nearly) co-equal?  Either is a valid option.  

Of course, this may be a plan to push Kimi.  Seems his performance always improves once the silly season gets going and the Kimi’s Last Season rumors start.  Starting rumors early in the season may be a motivational message.  

So Red Bull doesn't have Ricciardo under contract after this season?