Sign in to follow this  

9 hours ago, tane said:

kimi's save was AAA1 too!

Too bad Kimi blew it, I thought he was going to grab pole until he got a case of the wiggles.

11 hours ago, WCB said:

http://crashstappen.com  Didn't Kyvat have a site like this...no, it was Maldanado/Crashanado I think.

He didn't fail to deliver yet again.  I'm not blaming Ricciardo for this one as crashstappen did the double move.

• Like 1

Bummer for Bottas.   Red Bull needs to bring up one of their developmental drivers and let max sit out a race or two...    I think the double move before Ricciardo rear ended him won’t be looked to kindly on by the race officials or Christian.  He was pissed.....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

Bummer for Bottas.   Red Bull needs to bring up one of their developmental drivers and let max sit out a race or two...    I think the double move before Ricciardo rear ended him won’t be looked to kindly on by the race officials or Christian.  He was pissed.....

Stewards reprimanded both. Max for the double move. Ric for leaving his move left too late. 

The ESPN2, or sky Coverage is way better than previous.  'Way more interviews with Senior team principals, and managers.

7 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Stewards reprimanded both. Max for the double move. Ric for leaving his move left too late. 

I think that's too bad.  Ricciardo was closing so fast that had max not swerved back to the left, he would have been past and gone before the corner.

• Like 1

that was a great race! I felt bad for bottas and the safety car pendulum swung back for lewis this time. he lucked into this one. but that's racing!

great performance by perez and alonso. the renaults were looking racy, too. this is shaping up to be a great season!

• Like 1

As a Bottas fan, I think my facial expression was almost identical to Toto's as it went down. So bummed for him.

Perez looked racy all weekend, for sure. And that Toro near miss was amazing- not really sure how that didn't go pear-shaped.

42 minutes ago, suider said:

As a Bottas fan, I think my facial expression was almost identical to Toto's as it went down. So bummed for him.

Perez looked racy all weekend, for sure. And that Toro near miss was amazing- not really sure how that didn't go pear-shaped.

Bottas did exactly what the team asked him to do and executed the "if there is a late safety car, we want to be in a position to benefit" strategy to a T.  When it came, the strategy looked perfect and Seb got greedy and overcooked the pass badly, moving Lewis up.  Had to be absolutely gutting to lose the tire and have a perfect plan, perfectly executed, come apart.  

I applaud Lewis for acknowledging that this was Bottas' win and only fate put him on the top step.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Bottas did exactly what the team asked him to do and executed the "if there is a late safety car, we want to be in a position to benefit" strategy to a T.  When it came, the strategy looked perfect and Seb got greedy and overcooked the pass badly, moving Lewis up.  Had to be absolutely gutting to lose the tire and have a perfect plan, perfectly executed, come apart.  

I applaud Lewis for acknowledging that this was Bottas' win and only fate put him on the top step.  

I hope to visit his home country one day.  Bottas and Kimi have the same cool, reserved demeanor, that must be a national trait???  

42 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

I hope to visit his home country one day.  Bottas and Kimi have the same cool, reserved demeanor, that must be a national trait???  

It is a national trait.  I've had a Finnish roommate and I work with a Finnish company now, most are like that.

Heads up to American F1 fans - ESPN adding coverage for the Spanish GP this weekend...

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/23410842/espn-expands-us-f1-coverage-spanish-grand-prix

Spanish Grand Prix (all times Eastern):

Friday, May 11
Practice 1 - 4.55am-6.30am - ESPNU
Practice 2 - 8.55am-10.30am - ESPNU

Saturday, May 12 
Practice 3 - 5.55am-7.00am - ESPN2
Qualifying - 8.55am-10am - ESPN2

Sunday, May 13 
Qualifying (Encore) - 7.00am-8.30am - ESPN2
On The Grid - 8.30am-9.05am - ESPN2
Race - 9.05am-11am - ESPN2
Encore - 7.30pm-10pm - ESPN2
Encore - 10.pm-12.30am - ESPNEWS

Catalan separatism always had a role (booing the national flag/anthem) in previous years - wonder now

I think they are late to the table on that. Others had halo appendages since March and Charlie made it clear last July that aero fairing on the halo were legal as long as they were within 20mm from the structure. https://wtf1.com/post/the-fia-says-aero-fairings-will-make-the-halo-look-more-attractive/

what other team has mirrors and winglets mounted to the halo? I've only seen the little spoiler thing above it. this is next level stuff. I'm sure we'll see more in the coming months.

4 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

I think they are late to the table on that. Others had halo appendages since March and Charlie made it clear last July that aero fairing on the halo were legal as long as they were within 20mm from the structure. https://wtf1.com/post/the-fia-says-aero-fairings-will-make-the-halo-look-more-attractive/

The Ferrari photo above is a lot more than 20mm

1 hour ago, SCARECROW said:

Ferrari is pushing the gray areas on mirror regs, there's nothing against mounting mirrors to the HALO, and there are existing regs governing mounting aero pieces to mirror stalks.

The Scuderia have just brought them together.

1 hour ago, SCARECROW said:

That's what came to mind as well

4 hours ago, derelicte said:

f1 tv is live!

https://www.formula1.com/en/subscribe-to-f1-tv-pro.html

$12/month, $90/year for full access, $3/month for "lite" access. looks like you get the race after 2 days if you go with the lite version.

https://f1tv.formula1.com/en/content-schedule

no mention of android, ios or roku app availability yet.

Not in Canada.  Rats.  Thank heavens for torrents.

37 minutes ago, WCB said:

That's what came to mind as well

FIA came out and said mounting the mirror to the halo us allowed about 2 weeks ago. Standard “all other regulations must be complied with and the team is required to demonstrate blah, blah.”  

Looks like Ferrari asked for a ruling. 

I've had a few beers, so indulge me a second. I'm watching a lot of endurance racing this year and I like the multiple classes on track. So , with that said, if we did an Indy car, F1 car and let's say an LMP1. What circuit should they run on?  

Thoughts. 

26 minutes ago, Prof Anthrax said:

I've had a few beers, so indulge me a second. I'm watching a lot of endurance racing this year and I like the multiple classes on track. So , with that said, if we did an Indy car, F1 car and let's say an LMP1. What circuit should they run on?  

Thoughts. 

Spa or Nordschleife

MS

• Like 1

With the restricted aero in Indycar, make it just an LMP1 and F-1 match race. Make it a 3 hour race.  Allow refueling and use the tires each series has available this season. Let both use a “party mode”. Take away DRS and run your setup.  

Basically, take off the false restrictions of fuel flow (f-1) and total energy (LMP), equalize complexity of pit stops and make them run  for more than a sprint. Let the best win. 

• Like 1

Anyone else getting no commentary on ESPN2 (hardly the end of world, just wondering).

Edit: never mind, somebody must have pushed a button or something.

17 minutes ago, animeproblem said:

Anyone else getting no commentary on ESPN2 (hardly the end of world, just wondering).

Edit: never mind, somebody must have pushed a button or something.

On ESPNU right now, practice 2.

18 hours ago, derelicte said:

f1 tv is live!

https://www.formula1.com/en/subscribe-to-f1-tv-pro.html

$12/month, $90/year for full access, $3/month for "lite" access. looks like you get the race after 2 days if you go with the lite version.

https://f1tv.formula1.com/en/content-schedule

no mention of android, ios or roku app availability yet.

So who is going to test F-1 live?  

My mobile stuff is all IOS. I was hoping to see Roku to make getting it to my TV simple.  I can stream from the Web but it's more than a button push.  

If I can't watch it on my tv I'm not interested. that means I need roku support. until then I'll find another way to watch the race.

18 hours ago, Prof Anthrax said:

Thoughts. 

Targa Florio, Piccolo Circuit

CollesanoTarga_Florio.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/10/2018 at 8:08 PM, Innocent Bystander said:

FIA came out and said mounting the mirror to the halo us allowed about 2 weeks ago. Standard “all other regulations must be complied with and the team is required to demonstrate blah, blah.”  

Looks like Ferrari asked for a ruling. 

Sky reported this morning that Ferrari has been told the mirrors as executed with the aero wings,etc. don’t meet regulations. They will be allowed at Barcelona due to the structural changes required to move them but have to be gone by Monaco.  

Hmm let me improve aero for a fast track and I promise I’ll revert back for a slow one. 

Anybody try F1TV for Barcelona?  According to Jalopnik, it’s a disaster on roll out so far. Log in issues, big time buffering problems. Monaco would be a good track to have the various promised features but only if they work.  I’ll be away from home and looking to stream that race.  I’ve found espn “watch” usable but troublesome and was hoping try the new service for that weekend  

https://apple.news/AgIZyB3C9RHa9H2nZXCiECg

It seems like Ferrari has the driver and car, but the the team's race decisions have hurt them this season.

Either Merc and/or RB have out coached them in all but the first race.

6 hours ago, captnjoe said:

It seems like Ferrari has the driver and car, but the the team's race decisions have hurt them this season.

Either Merc and/or RB have out coached them in all but the first race.

Seb said he wouldnt have been able to go until the end with his tires.  And even when he has the newest tires he couldnt make inroads on MV's damaged Red Bull.

It may have looked like a strategy call, but in actuality it appears the Ferrari doesnt like the new Euro spec Pirellis.

MS

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:04 PM, Innocent Bystander said:

Anybody try F1TV for Barcelona?  According to Jalopnik, it’s a disaster on roll out so far. Log in issues, big time buffering problems. Monaco would be a good track to have the various promised features but only if they work.  I’ll be away from home and looking to stream that race.  I’ve found espn “watch” usable but troublesome and was hoping try the new service for that weekend  

https://apple.news/AgIZyB3C9RHa9H2nZXCiECg

I know a lot of folks don't like Comcast, but I can go online from anywhere and watch live programming, or ones that I have DVR'd previously.

that was a pretty easy race for lewis and merc. if they have found their stride it doesn't bode well for the rest of the season. grosjean needs to be benched. two stupid crashes in a row.

2 hours ago, billy backstay said:

I know a lot of folks don't like Comcast, but I can go online from anywhere and watch live programming, or ones that I have DVR'd previously.

Would work if I had Comcast as an option. My rural cable has ESPN but doesn’t come with the ESPN online access so I’m pirating a big city friends account for the rare times I’m away for long enough to want more than the DVR the next day. . Sometime it works. Sometimes it doesn’t. 

13 minutes ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Would work if I had Comcast as an option. My rural cable has ESPN but doesn’t come with the ESPN online access so I’m pirating a big city friends account for the rare times I’m away for long enough to want more than the DVR the next day. . Sometime it works. Sometimes it doesn’t. 

If you have a big city friends Comcast log-in and password, you are good to go from any internet connected device.  I could let my Italian Tifosi,  friend at work use mine, to watch the races, when he is covering my tool crib, on a slow Sunday, not that I would EVER do that!!! :D

1 hour ago, Fat Point Jack said:

Please Mr. Haas, hire Alexander Rossi.

I don't remember him wrecking any cars in his brief time . I had high hopes for RG, but what a disappointment. Rossi couldn't do any worse. I know they say it's not the right time for an American driver but the European talent isn't getting it done. I say " Do it Gene. You probably only have another year or so before you pull the plug on it. Live a little. "

13 hours ago, Prof Anthrax said:

I don't remember him wrecking any cars in his brief time . I had high hopes for RG, but what a disappointment. Rossi couldn't do any worse. I know they say it's not the right time for an American driver but the European talent isn't getting it done. I say " Do it Gene. You probably only have another year or so before you pull the plug on it. Live a little. "

Why do you think HAAS will "pull the plug on it"?  For a brand new team to run with the big boys after such a short time is rare as rocking horse poo!

16 hours ago, Prof Anthrax said:

2019 has to be the right time for an American driver with two races on the schedule for the US in Austin and Miami and an American company as owner of the series.

On 5/15/2018 at 9:03 AM, billy backstay said:

Why do you think HAAS will "pull the plug on it"?  For a brand new team to run with the big boys after such a short time is rare as rocking horse poo!

I hope he does have the long game in mind. Although I've heard grumbling about the overall competitiveness of F1. Not unlike a lot of teams. If his company is winning in a more global presence, the reason he said he wanted in, he'll stay. If not , well, Americans aren't know for their patience. 

• Like 1

On 5/15/2018 at 11:55 AM, WCB said:

2019 has to be the right time for an American driver with two races on the schedule for the US in Austin and Miami and an American company as owner of the series.

Agreed!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-5772895/F1-facing-wipe-Europe-catastrophic-legislation.html

Formula One could be wiped out in Europe as the result of ‘catastrophic’ legislation to make racing cars subject to the rules of the road.

The European Commission this week published proposals that would require all motor vehicles — including those on private land such as race tracks — to have third-party motor insurance.

Leading London insurers have indicated that it would be too big a risk to insure racing cars, placing every Europe-based grand prix in jeopardy.

Smilin Dan & Red Bull on a completely different planet today, hopefully the team can provide reliable pit work this time, & of course Max with the usual, sure it's easy to do on that on this course, but it does look bad when you are the only one.

Will wait until tomorrow to discuss details so everyone can see it off the DVR.  But a pretty dull race even by Monaco standards.  They might need to add water trucks.

MS

52 minutes ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

Will wait until tomorrow to discuss details so everyone can see it off the DVR.  But a pretty dull race even by Monaco standards.  They might need to add water trucks.

MS

Not going to spoil for anyone who has not seen the race, but it was a pretty boring parade of a race.

Well did you expect anything else for a track with limited drs, and almost no places to pass...   Monaco is about tradition.  Kinda like Indy.