Sign in to follow this  

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 4:27 PM, derelicte said:

I think dan will be at rbr next year as he won't have any other competitive choice. merc and ferrari won't sign him as they want a solid #2 driver that will follow orders and I don't see him signing up for that. now if alonso calls it quits he might be swayed by maclaren, but that is probably a long shot...

ferrari needs a more consistent 2nd driver if they want to win wcc but I'm not sure dr is that person. my $0.02.

Wouldn't Ricciardo leaving RBR for McLaren be a huge step backwards, to a slower car?

possibly. he said he wants to do what hamilton did and switch to a mid field team on the cusp of greatness and win a wdc but I'm not sure that is going to happen again anytime soon. realistically mac is the only team with deep enough pockets to pay him what he feels he is worth.

23 hours ago, derelicte said:

possibly. he said he wants to do what hamilton did and switch to a mid field team on the cusp of greatness and win a wdc but I'm not sure that is going to happen again anytime soon. realistically mac is the only team with deep enough pockets to pay him what he feels he is worth.

One of my good mates here at work is Italian, and a devoted Tifosi.  He follows the Italian press on this, and told me that it's a sure thing, according to them, that Danny Ricciardo will be piloting a Ferrari next year.  EDIT, Obviously in Kimi's place....

That was a fun race. Too bad seb screwed up again though and made it an easy win for lewis. Even kimi put in a good drive but then again it is contract time so that was to be expected.

I guess we'll see where dr ends up but I have a hard time believing it will be ferrari as long as seb is there. plus leclerc is doing really well with sauber and he has to be on ferrari's radar. toto is claiming both of their drivers are going to resign so there isn't a seat for him at merc. we'll find out soon enough.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2018 at 1:05 PM, billy backstay said:

One of my good mates here at work is Italian, and a devoted Tifosi.  He follows the Italian press on this, and told me that it's a sure thing, according to them, that Danny Ricciardo will be piloting a Ferrari next year.  EDIT, Obviously in Kimi's place....

What are the over/under odds on that bet?

Crazier things have happened in F1 Silly Seasons, but Ricciardo is no Barrichello.

And Bottas has to be the biggest bargain in F1. 

Not to mention Leclerc has his contract with Ferrari, he's "under loan" to Sauber, and it was Ferrari that installed Leclerc at Sauber to begin with as part of their engine deal.

Every season there are always hyped rookies, but Leclerc looks like the real deal, and he will be in a Ferrari.  The question is 2019 or 2020.

Leclerc is the real deal. A graduate of Ferrari’s Driver Academy, those in the know say his natural ability and speed is eclipsed only by a monumental urge to win. His pedigree is also startling. One of only three Monégasque to make it to F1 (along with Louis Chiron and Olivier Beretta), he began karting aged just four, urged on by his father Hervé, a sometime F3 racer. He bunked off school one day to visit a kart track owned by the late Jules Bianchi’s father, and that was that. Bianchi became his mentor, as he ascended through the motorsport ranks via Formula Renault 2.0, European F3, and Formula 2.

He won that championship last year – the youngest driver ever to do so and the first rookie since Nico Hülkenberg in 2009 – in emotionally supercharged circumstances. Not only did he lose Bianchi (who died in the wake of his shocking crash at Suzuka in 2014), but his father also passed away, three days before the fourth round in Baku. Leclerc subsequently took pole position and won the first race, and was P2 in the second. Not many 19-year olds have that sort of fortitude.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/formula-one/could-charles-leclerc-be-f1s-next-superstar

2 hours ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

What are the over/under odds on that bet?

Crazier things have happened in F1 Silly Seasons, but Ricciardo is no Barrichello.

And Bottas has to be the biggest bargain in F1. 

Not to mention Leclerc has his contract with Ferrari, he's "under loan" to Sauber, and it was Ferrari that installed Leclerc at Sauber to begin with as part of their engine deal.

Every season there are always hyped rookies, but Leclerc looks like the real deal, and he will be in a Ferrari.  The question is 2019 or 2020.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/formula-one/could-charles-leclerc-be-f1s-next-superstar

I'm interested to see where Leclerc goes...here's hoping.  He has a better story than, Max "I'm here because my daddy said so" Crashstappen.

On 6/25/2018 at 11:12 PM, WCB said:

I'm interested to see where Leclerc goes...here's hoping.  He has a better story than, Max "I'm here because my daddy said so" Crashstappen.

I disagree!  Yes, Max is very young and impetuous, taking chances that he need not.  Behind that is the first young drive to come along in decades that much natural instinct.  Please name another?  Sure, his Dad may have greased the skips a bit, but he is a very talented driver, in his own right,  He just needs to dial it down a notch or two....

2 hours ago, billy backstay said:

I disagree!  Yes, Max is very young and impetuous, taking chances that he need not.  Behind that is the first young drive to come along in decades that much natural instinct.  Please name another?  Sure, his Dad may have greased the skips a bit, but he is a very talented driver, in his own right,  He just needs to dial it down a notch or two....

And I respectfully disagree. I think the ability of the car gets him out of trouble far more and if he was in one of the lesser cars, he'd already be a reserve driver. He keeps piling into other cars, putting his car where it doesn't belong. I wouldn't call that instinct.  I'd call that an oh shit moment.

5 hours ago, WCB said:

And I respectfully disagree. I think the ability of the car gets him out of trouble far more and if he was in one of the lesser cars, he'd already be a reserve driver. He keeps piling into other cars, putting his car where it doesn't belong. I wouldn't call that instinct.  I'd call that an oh shit moment.

Nope its how you create respect, so they let you pass, its working :)

4 hours ago, LeoV said:

Nope its how you create respect, so they let you pass, its working :)

It couldn't be part of Red Bull's strategy because with each crash, you see Horner looking annoyed and he's shaking his head.

3 minutes ago, WCB said:

It couldn't be part of Red Bull's strategy because with each crash, you see Horner looking annoyed and he's shaking his head.

Agree.  I think Max still needs to demonstrate he can mature into a reliable top 5 finisher with regular podiums without losing the edge.  A lot of young drivers show up blindingly fast but they DNF due to mistakes far too often. DK was blindingly fast but accident prone at first but then appeared to lose his edge.  I think Max will stay fast as he continues to mature and tempers his aggression just a bit. 

3 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Agree.  I think Max still needs to demonstrate he can mature into a reliable top 5 finisher with regular podiums without losing the edge.  A lot of young drivers show up blindingly fast but they DNF due to mistakes far too often. DK was blindingly fast but accident prone at first but then appeared to lose his edge.  I think Max will stay fast as he continues to mature and tempers his aggression just a bit. 

I imagine that Max will mature at some point too, it's bound to happen, either between experience or constant stern talks from his team and sponsors, but the question is what comes of it.  It's like Dani Pedrosa from MotoGP if you follow that.  He was the big Spanish hope for the WC and he was never able to put together more than a string of injuries. He's now out for Jorge Lorenzo which should make it interesting next year.

During practice this morning they were saying that Max has driven the last two rounds in a calm manner and that his father wasn't present at either round.  They say his father is back at Austria so they'll see what happens...fireworks!

11 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Rumor at Red Bull Ring is that Kimi and Leclerc may be swapping seats before the Belgian GP (26 August). If true, that would be a shocker.  

I would think that Kimi would retire, rather than accept a demotion?  He surely doesn't need the money!!   Up until my recent 63rd birthday, I never thought that I would want to quit working for an income, but it's seeming more attractive each passing week.........

On 6/25/2018 at 11:12 PM, WCB said:

On 6/28/2018 at 11:09 AM, Innocent Bystander said:

Ralf?  Quick...for three laps/corners, then BOOM.

On 6/29/2018 at 2:55 PM, WCB said:

During practice this morning they were saying that Max has driven the last two rounds in a calm manner and that his father wasn't present at either round.  They say his father is back at Austria so they'll see what happens...fireworks!

They also said Mercedes were going to walk away after the first lap, hee hee hee hee jajajajajajajaja......

On 6/29/2018 at 9:14 AM, Innocent Bystander said:

Rumor at Red Bull Ring is that Kimi and Leclerc may be swapping seats before the Belgian GP (26 August). If true, that would be a shocker.  

That's just to shove a cattle prod up Kimi's arse.  Like every season.

And as usual, it worked.  The last time I actually saw that guy driving with his heart was at Lotus, and then they stiffed him his salary.

So the Scuderia, private jets and yachts it is.  Just every now & then he has to bring it.  I was pulling he would win and almost, but 2nd will do.

Whose leading the Contructors again?  Kimi has one more season left in a Ferrari.

6 hours ago, peejay said:

Great day for Haas.

FOR 'MURICA!

once again merc "strategists" screwed up but ultimately it didn't matter. when was the last time merc had a 2 dnf that wasn't a result of a crash between the two? 

kimi is frustrating. he can drive but only when it is contract time. I think ferrari needs to let him go. hopefully haas has gotten their issues sorted and this trend continues. 

Sky announcers came up with 1955 since Merc had 2 mechanical DNFs in the same race. Lewis fronted up for a post race interview but didn’t actually say anything. 

Haas had a good result, keeping in mind there were only 3 cars on the lead lap at the end and 3 of the probably top finishers had mechanical DNFs. 

14 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Nice race by Max and yes, Kimi woke up. Who would have predicted a double mechanical from Merc?

They said they were new spec engines; I guess they didn't do enough testing?

5 hours ago, derelicte said:

bottas had a transmission failure.

Lewis did not want to be in that car if he wasn’t up front.  If his engine or tranny had blown up. I would have thought he did it on purpose.  I’m guessing fuel pressure is hard for a driver to cause that problem unless he dials up the fuel rate and burns all fuel and ends up with no pressure since there is no fuel to pump.

he was pissed off,  rightfully so, but his whining about it reminded me of the way Danica would whine about the cars when she was driving nascar.  Shut up and drive.  Drive the wheels off the car.

being they will be at silver stone next,  I have no doubt that he will be driving like a man possessed.

he did sound pissed on the radio and I don't blame him. that was a pretty simple call to make and they blew it and cost him the race.  plus this wasn't the first time they screwed up like this and he paid the price. 

but that's racing and I'm sure ferrari will return the favor at some point this season. they have a knack of doing that. 

2 hours ago, derelicte said:

he did sound pissed on the radio and I don't blame him. that was a pretty simple call to make and they blew it and cost him the race.  plus this wasn't the first time they screwed up like this and he paid the price. 

but that's racing and I'm sure ferrari will return the favor at some point this season. they have a knack of doing that. 

It's surprising that neither Mercedes nor Ferrari have called you to run their strategy programs as they keep fucking up, whilst you find its easy with your 20/20 hindsight..it didn't cost your hero the race, a mechanical did, they obviously need to work on reliability as Hamilton only recently had his last one...in 2016...

Oh ...they won the last four Constructors and your boy three WCs...and I don't hear anyone at Mercedes whining like a bitch when 'hard as a motherfucker' occasionally fucks up...

I am still not so sure the VSC call cost LH the race.  If you look at how pasted his tires were, I am doubtful he would have been able to stay out front either.  The Merc was hardest on the tires on Sunday and me thinks if they had pitted for Softs during the VSC on lap 14 he most likely would have had to stop again around lap 60.  LH had newer softs once he did stop and SV just drove right past him.  MVs tires were toast by the finish and with LH out front as a carrot it wouldnt surprise me if MV would have tried to chase him down and wrecked both of their tires in the process.All of that plays into a possible win for KR.

It is all conjecture, but blame James Vowles for making a bad call all you want, but it didnt cost LH the win.

We need a wet race at Silverstone!!

MS

I gotta say, bad call on 10 sec to Kimi.

Hamilton had to have known that in the first 3 or so corners it was going to be close. It's a fast course and people push in the first lap. IF he had just gone wider Kimi would have still locked up and went sideways Ham would have sped away and the 2 Bulls would have passed Kimi too.

I say bullshit to it being a brit event and a brit princess got  pushed partially of his own fault.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

I gotta say, bad call on 10 sec to Kimi.

Hamilton had to have known that in the first 3 or so corners it was going to be close. It's a fast course and people push in the first lap. IF he had just gone wider Kimi would have still locked up and went sideways Ham would have sped away and the 2 Bulls would have passed Kimi too.

I say bullshit to it being a brit event and a brit princess got  pushed partially of his own fault.

Maybe if you had watched the rest of the broadcast you would have seen KR admit to making a mistake, give a Finnish apology and said the penalty was fair....just saying...

1 hour ago, ro! said:

Maybe if you had watched the rest of the broadcast you would have seen KR admit to making a mistake, give a Finnish apology and said the penalty was fair....just saying...

What nobody seems to mention beside Kimi making a mistake, is that Hamilton royally screwed the start and let two cars pass him.  Once he realized this one wasn't a gimmie, he drove one hell of a race.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ro! said:

his mistake we going to fast?
Doesn't that happen in every F! start and first lap?

Hamilton is too experienced to not know that.
Besides if it was a mistake, it was not on purpose and a 10 sec penalty for a mistake is absurd.

2 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

his mistake we going to fast?
Doesn't that happen in every F! start and first lap?

Hamilton is too experienced to not know that.
Besides if it was a mistake, it was not on purpose and a 10 sec penalty for a mistake is absurd.

The penalty from the stewards was because Kimi caused an avoidable accident....don't expect you to understand that...

Hamilton said....Kimi apolagised and I accept it, sometimes we say dumb shit and learn from it...

you not so much..

23 hours ago, ro! said:

The penalty from the stewards was because Kimi caused an avoidable accident....don't expect you to understand that...

Hamilton said....Kimi apolagised and I accept it, sometimes we say dumb shit and learn from it...

you not so much..

I've seen far worse where nothing was done.

5 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

I've seen far worse where nothing was done.

Of course you have....

Again...Kimi admitted fault, apolagised and said the penalty was fair and Hamilton accepted and moved on..but you can't seem. let it go...

I'm all done with pig wrestling....