• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Windward

Train crashes onto I5 Seattle

were they using outdated charts ??

• Downvote 1

It looks like the locomotive was in the rear.  This is quite common, especially here in Silicon Valley on the Caltrain route up the Peninsula, as there's no way to turn the locomotive at the ends of the track, San Francisco and Gilroy.  I ride it regularly, and wonder how long the driver in the lead car has available to apply brakes and stop that heavy pushing machine if one of the first cars derails.  I expect the NTSB will look at this quite closely.

Sad news all the same. 

5 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

It looks like the locomotive was in the rear.  This is quite common, especially here in Silicon Valley on the Caltrain route up the Peninsula, as there's no way to turn the locomotive at the ends of the track, San Francisco and Gilroy.  I ride it regularly, and wonder how long the driver in the lead car has available to apply brakes and stop that heavy pushing machine if one of the first cars derails.  I expect the NTSB will look at this quite closely.

Sad news all the same. 

indeed, pretty awful.

1 hour ago, P_Wop said:

Sad news all the same. 

Locomotive on each end with the engineer in the forward locomotive controlling both front and rear units.

The forward locomotive is down on the freeway.

Reports say train was doing 70+ into curve posted at 30.

2 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

were they using outdated charts ??

Fuck you Woody, 6 dead so far. Real comedy material there.

Why don't you go lick a San Diego hepatitis infected sidewalk.

3 minutes ago, See Level said:

Locomotive on each end with the engineer in the forward locomotive controlling both front and rear units.

The forward locomotive is down on the freeway.

Reports say train was doing 70+ into curve posted at 30.

OK, sorry I didn't see the front one.  Track and/or human defect, then, IMHO.

2 hours ago, P_Wop said:

I expect the NTSB will look at this quite closely.

They'll dissect this fifteen thousand different ways from Sunday... 

So on the news this morning right after it happened there was a representative from the city of Tacoma Transit Authority. At one point prior to the crash he was tweeting that they were doing 79 miles an hour. Right after the crash he tweeted that they had hit a truck.

My condolences to the victims families.

Man, that’s a tough call. I had a derailment once with around 100 patients and it was tough....but the vast majority were not that badly injured......and the train wasn’t hanging off a bridge......and train cars hadn’t crushed cars on the freeway below..........jeepers......glad it wasn’t my call. 

4 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Man, that’s a tough call. I had a derailment once with around 100 patients and it was tough....but the vast majority were not that badly injured......and the train wasn’t hanging off a bridge......and train cars hadn’t crushed cars on the freeway below..........jeepers......glad it wasn’t my call. 

Quite the nasty scene indeed. It appears all of the fatalities were on the train.

The one annoying thing is for some reason a majority of the civilian world thinks 'casualties' means deaths.  I am not sure how that happened.  In one news report they quoted a woman in the area that said something to the effect that when she hear it was a mass casualty situation, she was sad for all of the dead people.  

I just want to know. Who throws a 30mph corner into a high speed rail? There's your planning problem. I'm not trying to be a dick. That just seems incongruous.

If the US is to have High Speed Rail, we must have new and separate rails. We cannot share rails with freight.

The US Government is not willing to spent what is necessary to have high speed rail.
But they are willing to spend too much on stupid idiots running the TSA for Air Travel.

We really do live in an era where the government decides which industries survive or fail.

Welcome to the new Czars.

45 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

If the US is to have High Speed Rail, we must have new and separate rails. We cannot share rails with freight.

The US Government is not willing to spent what is necessary to have high speed rail.
But they are willing to spend too much on stupid idiots running the TSA for Air Travel.

We really do live in an era where the government decides which industries survive or fail.

have yoi knott herd of MoonBeam Brown

he had no problem handing over a blank check for a 1-Off rail

From/2 NoWhere

If you look at it from Google earth you can see where the new line joins the old line and the curve is right before the trestle. The local towns that this new line is running through have had very vocal discussions/concerns with the Lakewood mayor publicly stating that this line would result in fatalities. The town nearest the crash site, Dupont, actually had  a disaster preparedness drill scheduled at city hall to discuss this exact scenario. It was supposed to start at 9 AM, crash was around 8AM and by the time people really started to mobilize, Dupont had their logistics up and running.

There is going to be some serious repercussions on this one. If reports are true of almost 80 thru a 30 mph curve, Amtrak will be writing a lot of checks.

It was by all appearances a great response from local ems communities, including Base JFLM. Traffic will be a little congested in the area for the next couple of days.

One of the few humorous things to be seen on tv was a WSP spokeswoman being asked what time the freeway would be reopened. Her reply was "we don't have a date for that yet". Not a time, a date. Says a lot about the mentality of the news crew vs the responders.

Very tragic event with what appears to have been a preventable scenario

WL

I have passed under that r/r bridge hundreds & hundreds of times and have always been freaked out that a train would fall off and crush cars etc.  

this sucks & for 10 minutes of saved time?  

The old route was beautiful too...

1 hour ago, austin1972 said:

I just want to know. Who throws a 30mph corner into a high speed rail? There's your planning problem. I'm not trying to be a dick. That just seems incongruous.

It’s an old old rail line....

4 hours ago, hobot said:

So on the news this morning right after it happened there was a representative from the city of Tacoma Transit Authority. At one point prior to the crash he was tweeting that they were doing 79 miles an hour. Right after the crash he tweeted that they had hit a truck.

What was heart rending was the engineer reporting the event from the lead locomotive just after it happened- ‘we’re on the ground’- adrenaline city..... my god......

Big trees were really cut up & the safety system wasn’t online.

On the news coverage this morning one of the videos showed two signs at the curve. One had a "P30" and I can't remember the prefix of the other, but it also said 30. Before the news said what the speed limit was, I saw this and my first thought was that this must have been the speed limit for the corner.

I have driven under that trestle many times too, but I don't think I have ever seen a train on it.

1 hour ago, Great White said:

On the news coverage this morning one of the videos showed two signs at the curve. One had a "P30" and I can't remember the prefix of the other, but it also said 30. Before the news said what the speed limit was, I saw this and my first thought was that this must have been the speed limit for the corner.

I have driven under that trestle many times too, but I don't think I have ever seen a train on it.

It used to be just freight trains or the odd military flatbeds lumbering slowly across...

7 hours ago, Amati said:

What was heart rending was the engineer reporting the event from the lead locomotive just after it happened- ‘we’re on the ground’- adrenaline city..... my god......

Big trees were really cut up & the safety system wasn’t online.

Not that it wasn’t online. It’s not installed on that track segment. Positive Train Control was mandated in 2008. Final implementation keeps getting deferred by Congress. Last deferment was a slide from 2015 to 2020. NTSB and FRA are big cheerleaders for PTC but the rail operators don’t like the cost. AMTRAK has done better than most but still lags. 

14 hours ago, hobot said:

At one point prior to the crash he [the engineer] was tweeting

Of course we will wait for the report, but that might be part of the investigation.

Condolences. 

DuPont, Washington (CNN)Careening around a curve at almost three times the speed limit, an Amtrak train derailed and hurled passenger cars off an overpass and onto rush hour traffic below -- killing three people and injuring more than 100 others.

positive train control was NOT activated  an not scheduled to be active until spring 2018

looks like human error.....sucks on so many levels..

20 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

looks like human errors

fixed. 

Many errors, on many levels and predictable/predicted.  After the 2015 wreck I recall they implemented engineer cams.  Wonder if they had that on this state-of-the-art high speed rail link and if we will ever see the footage?  Real shame on so many levels too.

13 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

In this case it's Congress and the lobbyists etc.  The folks in the agencies basically implement what Congress wants. Just figure out who would lose with a better rail infrastructure and follow the $$

6 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Not that it wasn’t online. It’s not installed on that track segment. Positive Train Control was mandated in 2008. Final implementation keeps getting deferred by Congress. Last deferment was a slide from 2015 to 2020. NTSB and FRA are big cheerleaders for PTC but the rail operators don’t like the cost. AMTRAK has done better than most but still lags. 

Was the engineer alone?

PTC has been around for some time now. The major railroads (Class I) operate on pretty thin margins, it is a very capital intensive business.  The actual cost of running a train from point A to point B is pretty low, once they are moving, trains are quite efficient.  Modern locomotives usually put out around 4-5,000 horsepower at relatively low fuel consumption.  But the equipment and maintenance are quite costly, for example locomotives cost around $1.5 million each.  The RRs have persuaded Congress to continually postpone the mandatory implementation of the system because the Class I RRs don't want to spend the money.  In their defense, if you count the number of RR accident fatalities compared to miles traveled and the cost of PTC, it just doesn't make sense from a financial standpoint.  Yet.  I guess it all depends on how high you value a human life vs the demands of the shareholders.

41 minutes ago, Amati said:

Was the engineer alone?

Don't ask if they were using Old Charts

This Situation is NOT an Accident in the Classic Sense

It was Calculated well in advance, perhaps by those never in the area

if it were a Park Ride it would have had testing at speeds increasing to beyond the allowed speed

With Dummy Loads slightly above the Allowed capacity

But This is Big Gubermint & What they say is What it IS Till proven otherwise

These days a GPS over ride of MAX Speed at any given concern, should be a part of the system

But I guess no one in office has ties to that sort of thing

Even an Elevator gets tested and Certified before going online

Will be interesting to hear if they did Test Runs and with what Load and at what Speed 

If it was a RunAway Train I'm sure we would have heard of their concerns from before the crash

TROUBLING

21 hours ago, hobot said:

Do you have a link to the report of the engineer tweeting?

If he was it's prison time.

15 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

It was a representative from the city of Tacoma Transit Authority , not the engineer 

23 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

Ummm - trains are not like cars in traffic - they are more like boats on autopilot. You don't have to keep your eyes on the tracks at all times.

If they were doing 70 in a 30 zone then they made their mistake a few miles back.

9 minutes ago, Henley Hornbrook said:

It was a representative from the city of Tacoma Transit Authority , not the engineer 

Ah, got it. Thanks.

16 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Ummm - trains are not like cars in traffic - they are more like boats on autopilot. You don't have to keep your eyes on the tracks at all times.

If they were doing 70 in a 30 zone then they made their mistake a few miles back.

Electronic devices are expressly verboten for crews on trains underway. It's a big deal. Look up GCOR 2.21. It's likely you won't find the rules latest updates on line though.

Talgo trains have good brakes and, unlike freight, don't need great distances to slow down 

11 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Curious...that seem like a lot of cars for 83 passengers 

it was the inaugural run to chickin wing for the muckie muckies and enthusiasts

predicted to Fail by the City that did Not buy into the idea

LIVE NOW !!!

NTSB is SHARP and On Top of this giving Much Information

Extremely Transparent and Open Minded !!!

4 hours ago, Autonomous said:

A second person in the cab would have saved those lives.

4 hours ago, Autonomous said:

A second person in the cab would have saved those lives.

I'm sure somebody would complain about the cost.......

8 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Curious...that seem like a lot of cars for 83 passengers 

Does Amtrak even make any money??

4 hours ago, hobot said:

Does Amtrak even make any money??

of course not!

nor does any pub transport,  all gov subsidized to some extent.

High speed rail is the biggest boondoggle of them all, complete waiste of time, money, effort...

Our countries are too big for it.

All the places I've been where it worked were very high density, small countries.

I could see it working in the Northeast U.S., say from Boston to D.C. but I think the vague plans to run it from Vancouver to Portland are unlikely to succeed.

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

All the places I've been where it worked were very high density, small countries.

I could see it working in the Northeast U.S., say from Boston to D.C. but I think the vague plans to run it from Vancouver to Portland are unlikely to succeed.

Even Boston to DC is hard unless you have stops in Boston, Penn Station NY and DC only. NE regional runs at 120 MPH most of the way but stops every 20-30 minutes. Until you can run 100+ miles at high speed, the difference in elapsed time won’t pay. The NY-DC Acela Express is more than twice the cost of the NE Regional but only saves 15 minutes because it still stops at major stations along the way. 

Was the inaugural run so few passengers.  I frequently use Amtrak in the NE corridor.  Flying is not a practical solution with security and getting from airports into town.  A perfect setup for rail service.  Basically a Catch-22.  Ridership would increase if the service were better.  Service would be better if ridership numbers were higher. The NE corridor infrastructure is awful.  The rails aren't bad but the bridges, tunnels and Penn station are weak links. Trains routinely run late. From personal experience, passenger rail in Europe and Japan is a much better experience.  Ironically if you can rebuild from scratch after the USAAF destroys your railways you get better railways.  

3 minutes ago, NaptimeAgain said:

Was the inaugural run so few passengers.  I frequently use Amtrak in the NE corridor.  Flying is not a practical solution with security and getting from airports into town.  A perfect setup for rail service.  Basically a Catch-22.  Ridership would increase if the service were better.  Service would be better if ridership numbers were higher. The NE corridor infrastructure is awful.  The rails aren't bad but the bridges, tunnels and Penn station are weak links. Trains routinely run late. From personal experience, passenger rail in Europe and Japan is a much better experience. Ironically if you can rebuild from scratch after the USAAF destroys your railways you get better railways.  

Post WWII...US decided to go with Interstate and air....

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

The California High Speed rail project has been projected to fail in both cost overruns and being financially sustainable once, if ever, it gets working..  

There is an interview with one pro-High Speed Rail accountant types (read Jerry Brown Flunky) and the projected ridership numbers 1st, 2nd, and 3rd year....  As the interviewer remarked, you will need to cancel all the flights between Northern and Southern CA and close of the 5 and 101 freeways to all automobiles to come close to achieving those numbers very year...  the interviewee was a little dumbstruck and realized he stepped himself in some shit as the interviewer was backing up his claims with some published facts...

I don't see any private funding steeping forward to underwrite this project either...  what does that tell ya?

A iBystander pointed out the train system in the Northeast is marginal at best...  It was great when I lived in Princton, NJ and had to get to Manhattan, or when I get called to our New York office and piggy back trip to our customer service office in Boston..  I can walk to Penn Station from our office in five minutes...  four hours later and and a $10 cab from 128 Street in MA and I'm good.

As for the train in Europe I did a lot travel around there in the 70s and 80s by train when the whole Euro-rail thing was in full bloom..   However, they too are dying a slow death... the overnight sleeper cars are disappearing, and in the past unless you're going to some out of the way weird combination like Munich to Hanover that required a all day airline trip the train made sense... However, airline travel is taking over.. I can now do this trip in 1 hour for 150 euro vs 4.5 hours by train and 198 euro...

2 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Even Boston to DC is hard unless you have stops in Boston, Penn Station NY and DC only. NE regional runs at 120 MPH most of the way but stops every 20-30 minutes. Until you can run 100+ miles at high speed, the difference in elapsed time won’t pay. The NY-DC Acela Express is more than twice the cost of the NE Regional but only saves 15 minutes because it still stops at major stations along the way. 

Exactly. High speed rail has to be between major cities - you can't operate it like we're still in the days of steam and whistle stops.

The Brits had a 120 MPH train that canted so it could run on Victorian era tracks. I rode it a couple of times between London and Bristol back in the 70's - way faster than driving.

The French TGV has max'd out at 320 MPH but on dedicated rails and long distances like Paris to Marseilles.

Now that European skies are more or less full I'm told the rail lines are coming back for distances under 500 miles. The ground time - travel to & from the airports, security, delays etc. means the overall time is pretty much a wash between the two modes for those sort of distances.

2 hours ago, nacradriver said:

The California High Speed rail project has been projected to fail in both cost overruns and being financially sustainable once, if ever, it gets working..  

There is an interview with one pro-High Speed Rail accountant types (read Jerry Brown Flunky) and the projected ridership numbers 1st, 2nd, and 3rd year....  As the interviewer remarked, you will need to cancel all the flights between Northern and Southern CA and close of the 5 and 101 freeways to all automobiles to come close to achieving those numbers very year...  the interviewee was a little dumbstruck and realized he stepped himself in some shit as the interviewer was backing up his claims with some published facts...

I don't see any private funding steeping forward to underwrite this project either...  what does that tell ya?

A iBystander pointed out the train system in the Northeast is marginal at best...  It was great when I lived in Princton, NJ and had to get to Manhattan, or when I get called to our New York office and piggy back trip to our customer service office in Boston..  I can walk to Penn Station from our office in five minutes...  four hours later and and a $10 cab from 128 Street in MA and I'm good.

As for the train in Europe I did a lot travel around there in the 70s and 80s by train when the whole Euro-rail thing was in full bloom..   However, they too are dying a slow death... the overnight sleeper cars are disappearing, and in the past unless you're going to some out of the way weird combination like Munich to Hanover that required a all day airline trip the train made sense... However, airline travel is taking over.. I can now do this trip in 1 hour for 150 euro vs 4.5 hours by train and 198 euro...

I came by train to Nurnberg today, about a 500 km trip.  The fastest I have driven it is 5 1/2 hours.  People always report flying only by the duration of the flight, getting to and from the airport and getting through security adds a bit of time.  To fly I would have to go 1 hour to Berlin, and arrive 2 hours before the flight, and the flight is about 1 hour.  Then I would have to get into the city.  Nurnberg is one of the few airports that is very close to the city but I still would end up spending the same amount of time as the train or driving.   The airport for Frankfurt Germany budget carriers is Frankfurt-Hahn.  It is about 100 km from Frankfurt!  The main airport, Frankfurt Main is about 25 km from the city.  It would also be hard to find a cheap flight 1 day before the trip.  I booked my train ticket last night.  From my place to the station in Nurnberg took about 5 hours.  I paid around $200.00 for the round trip ticket, if I booked it 6 weeks ago it would have been less.  One reason sleeper cars aren't as common is th express trains are quite fast in Germany, around 140 mph.  You can still easily get a sleeper train for the traveling across Europe trains.  

I am very tall and the budget airlines charge a bit for extra legroom of course, which increases the price but I can't fit otherwise, my legs are too long.  I did score 3 seats on a Ryan Air flight from Karlsrhue, Germany to Rome, Italy for a total of $65.00 a few years ago, that was a great deal!  For trips under 600 km or so, I like the train better.  If I am going to Spain or France, then flying is OK but cheap flights aren't always easy to find.  In addition, Air Berlin, a large budget carrier went bankrupt recently and another smaller one just went belly up the other day leaving people scrambling.  The big carriers, Lufthansa, etc. aren't cheap.  So it all depends.  In the past 18 years, I have driven, flown and trained all over Europe, I decide on the mode on a trip by trip basis.  Did I mention gas is $5.00 to $6.00 a gallon here?  No matter how fuel efficient your car is, traveling at 100-120 mph sucks down the fuel quickly.  

For going to a city, up to a certain distance, I prefer the train, it is the least stressful way to go for me.  The German rail system offers a discount card for 25% and 50% off any fare including early discount ones, for a reasonable fee.  If you travel a lot the cost off the card pays off quickly.  If you have the card and book early, it is almost as cheap as the cheapest air carrier.  And the trains are clean, comfortable and have a bit of leg room.  So far.

Christmas market time in Nurnberg.5a3af1b9d4714_HeiligGeistSpital.jpg.b2b95f4054610de98231ac363005a1fe.jpgNurnberg.thumb.jpg.1153b5ed877f53e804dd9d7a8f806d89.jpg

8 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

It is, between Oympia and the Other Vancouver, an extremely boring drive.  

Huh, I find it scenic, green trees, rolling hills, a Casino, the river (in places)cliffs where shit can fall down on the roadway, a town full of outlet malls....but  if we're talking I-10 through Arizona and Texas then there's a and extremely boring drive!

41 minutes ago, hobot said:

Huh, I find it scenic, green trees, rolling hills, a Casino, the river (in places)cliffs where shit can fall down on the roadway, a town full of outlet malls....but  if we're talking I-10 through Arizona and Texas then there's a and extremely boring drive!

You haven't Bored till you drove from LV to TAHOE

Relatively EXCITING from Walker Lake to TAHOE

If you can make it That Far

Everywhere in the Nevada desert is a lot more interesting at 130 MPH.

If you're far enough from anywhere the cops don't even seem to mind.

12 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Everywhere in the Nevada desert is a lot more interesting at 130 MPH.

If you're far enough from anywhere the cops don't even seem to mind.

I Very MUCH, Take Pride and Enjoy my Class EVERYTHING CDL

I Do not need a Speedo  in my Normal World as I am In tune with shit going by at whatever MPH

as in the Link i posted (don't remember who sent me the Pix) There aint Fuck All Anywhere alnong the GAWD Forsaken STTRREETTCCHH of FUCKING Nothing  

(so I heard) Felt like 55 BUT when glancing down after an hour or so = 115-MPH    Fuck DAT !!!!!!!!!!

OtherWISE Know Comet !!!!

16 hours ago, soak_ed said:

Christmas market time in Nurnberg.

Are you in Nuremburg??  If so, you just missed my wife by two days....

She is in Shindelfingen right now...  flies back to CA tomorrow..

1 hour ago, nacradriver said:

Are you in Nuremburg??  If so, you just missed my wife by two days....

She is in Shindelfingen right now...  flies back to CA tomorrow.

Yeah, I just bought a train ticket on the spur of the moment on Tuesday night and got here Wednesday night.  Do you mean Sindelfingen, near Stuttgart?

The city is crowded downtown because of the Christmas market, but there are still some quiet parts.  It rained today, I hope to get some better photos tomorrow with my DSLR instead of my phone.

Nurnberg  Altstadt.jpg

4 minutes ago, soak_ed said:

It rained today, I hope to get some better photos tomorrow with my DSLR instead of my phone.

Nurnberg  Altstadt.jpg

its getting harder to do

3 minutes ago, DA-WOODY said:

its getting harder to do

Until they come up with a better phone lens (which given the laws of physics and lenses I doubt will happen soon) a real camera is better.  I have a middle of the road new Samsung A5 and a middle of the road Cannon Rebel T6 with an 18-55 mm and 75-300 mm zoom lenses.  Both (phone and camera) are good enough for my needs.  Maybe a 'virtual lens' is in the future that can do more than the current phone lenses can.  A DSLR is also far easier to hold steady than a phone, at least for me.

S7 cheep ass on CL. get the edge

that 18x55 is a seethroigh dust cap that is Not as good as a regular dustcap

get a 17x55 F-2.8 and zee what you are missing as well as what the body can do

Thread Drift OFF

1 hour ago, DA-WOODY said:

S7 cheep ass on CL. get the edge

that 18x55 is a seethroigh dust cap that is Not as good as a regular dustcap

get a 17x55 F-2.8 and zee what you are missing as well as what the body can do

Thread Drift OFF

I use my phone for calling, texting, the occasional photo, and not much else. I don't need all of that extra BS. 

I have see through dust caps, they're called UV filters.    :D

I think 85-90% of photography is knowing what to point the camera at and how to frame the shot.  The rest is just details.  I am probably not telling you anything you don't already know.  I got into SLR photography because I was taking some mighty fine photos with a point and shoot Ricoh cheapie film camera.  So I bought a mid-level Minolta SLR in '97.  I took enough good photos and sold them, to pay  for the camera and lenses (same sizes that I have now, of course digital lens sizes don't equate exactly to true 35 mm lens sizes), several times over.  I had some of my photos published in local and regional newspapers too along with feature stories I wrote to go with the photos.  

Nowadays folks like to geek out over everything from coffee to computers.  It doesn't necessarily make them any better at any of it.  If I could  find the film easily I would still use the Minolta, I really liked that camera.  I was a big fan of Kodak Royal Gold, nice color saturation, not over saturated and fake looking like Fuji Film.  I do like being able to shoot hundreds of frames for free though.  The nice thing about film though is it really made you think before you pushed that button.  One of these days I will go through the thousands of negatives I have and get prints of some of my favorites.  I gave away most of the few prints I had left when I got into digital.

To keep the thread on topic, I am a railfan and like to take photos of trains too.

9 minutes ago, soak_ed said:

I use my phone for calling, texting, the occasional photo, and not much else. I don't need all of that extra BS. 

I have see through dust caps, they're called UV filters.    :D

I think 85-90% of photography is knowing what to point the camera at and how to frame the shot.  The rest is just details.  I am probably not telling you anything you don't already know.  I got into SLR photography because I was taking some mighty fine photos with a point and shoot Ricoh cheapie film camera.  So I bought a mid-level Minolta SLR in '97.  I took enough good photos and sold them, to pay  for the camera and lenses (same sizes that I have now, of course digital lens sizes don't equate exactly to true 35 mm lens sizes), several times over.  I had some of my photos published in local and regional newspapers too along with feature stories I wrote to go with the photos.  

Nowadays folks like to geek out over everything from coffee to computers.  It doesn't necessarily make them any better at any of it.  If I could  find the film easily I would still use the Minolta, I really liked that camera.  I was a big fan of Kodak Royal Gold, nice color saturation, not over saturated and fake looking like Fuji Film.  I do like being able to shoot hundreds of frames for free though.  The nice thing about film though is it really made you think before you pushed that button.  One of these days I will go through the thousands of negatives I have and get prints of some of my favorites.  I gave away most of the few prints I had left when I got into digital.

To keep the thread on topic, I am a railfan and like to take photos of trains too.

get busy scanning the film B)

23 hours ago, soak_ed said:

Do you mean Sindelfingen, near Stuttgart?

Yes, that is where he cousin lives...  couple of blocks northeast of the big TV tower. One of these days I'll learn how to spell German let alone English

8 hours ago, soak_ed said:

I don't want to buy a scanner.

suggestion  (that woodwork hear)

look for someone selling a Nice one

Make them an offer to use for X amount of time

Win Win !!!

9 minutes ago, DA-WOODY said:

suggestion  (that woodwork hear)

look for someone selling a Nice one

Make them an offer to use for X amount of time

Win Win !!!

Thanks, I'll look into that.