• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
windseekeryachts

Donovan 26 OD, Proven PHRF and ORC winner now in One Design Configuration

The Donovan 26 One Design is an evolution of the successful GP26 built by Wraceboats. The design
demonstrated exceptional speed and control at regattas in the U.S., Europe and Asia, regularly finishing
ahead of the competition and gaining praise from the crews who sailed aboard.

Details to follow...

Spinsheet 12-18 V4.pdf

How does it work when every boat already built is different?  What is the 1D configuration going to be? Are current boats grandfather in or will need for conform?

I like  the boat but feel this should of been decided before you sold xx number. 

Do you have a back log of sales that will produce this class in the US?

On 12/27/2017 at 4:38 AM, nroose said:

Seems like there's no info available yet. It's not on Stagg's website or facebook page. Just a teaser on the facebook page.

We are nearly finished with the promotion materials and information will be out on Stagg's web, facebook as well as Wraceboats pages.

It wont be long.

On 12/19/2017 at 4:18 PM, crashtestdummy said:

How does it work when every boat already built is different?  What is the 1D configuration going to be? Are current boats grandfather in or will need for conform?

I like  the boat but feel this should of been decided before you sold xx number. 

Do you have a back log of sales that will produce this class in the US?

In USA all 8 boats are based on (6) East coast and (2)Michigan Lake

There is Version1 boats.  Hulls 3-4

Then there are Version2 boats. With carbon keel frame. Of these Hulls 5 and 6  are lifting keel. 7-9-10 are fixed keel.

Then Hull8 which has an inboard is obviously heavier of the bunch and has more drag due to the saildrive.

Old boats will be grandfathered in the OD. and Old boats with the exception of hull8 (inboard) can retrofit with a longer boom and bowsprit to conform to the OD setup.

More information will be out soon.

Serhad,

Definitely like the mods to the boat - nice job!

It seems like a bit of a hefty price tag.  The boat will end up at 110K+ by the time it hits the starting line.  I am wondering if that is going to be easy to sell.

Hi Christian,

Race ready price will be below 100k for sure.

It was not an easy sell when the pricing was factory direct and abt 30pct lower as well...Now that we have dealer support, class development/support, and aftersales support, a proven boat, and a advertising budget, we believe it will be relatively easy to sell new boats. 

I do not know of any boat with similar technology and speed, below this price tag that is selling in large numbers. Price is a factor for sure but not the only factor as you know.

SC

I know I'd rather get into a GP26 at sub 100k than a Farr280 or C&C30 at well past 130. 

On 1/4/2018 at 10:46 PM, windseekeryachts said:

Hi Christian,

Race ready price will be below 100k for sure.

It was not an easy sell when the pricing was factory direct and abt 30pct lower as well...Now that we have dealer support, class development/support, and aftersales support, a proven boat, and a advertising budget, we believe it will be relatively easy to sell new boats. 

I do not know of any boat with similar technology and speed, below this price tag that is selling in large numbers. Price is a factor for sure but not the only factor as you know.

SC

Not trying to rain on your parade or pick a fight. The GP 26 is a great little boat but the line I highlighted above is factually incorrect. With a  PHRF of 81 it is slower than the Fareast 28 which has a PHRF of 54 ,( as you would expect from a longer waterline). It already has a OD design races in Europe   and has sold more than 300 boats worldwide. It sells for almost half of the GP26. price. Granted it has an aluminum mast and boom but it does have a carbon keel and rudder. Yes, it's Chinese built but after two years of ownership I have had no quality issues despite constant weekend use including all out racing in heavy wind. I hope the GP 26 is very successful. I would love to race against one as I like the competition like the Melges 24 I race against. that can beat me on time but never to the line :)) I will not post further- there is plenty of info online about all of these boats.

11 hours ago, gjbike said:

Not trying to rain on your parade or pick a fight. The GP 26 is a great little boat but the line I highlighted above is factually incorrect. With a  PHRF of 81 it is slower than the Fareast 28 which has a PHRF of 54 ,( as you would expect from a longer waterline). It already has a OD design races in Europe   and has sold more than 300 boats worldwide. It sells for almost half of the GP26. price. Granted it has an aluminum mast and boom but it does have a carbon keel and rudder. Yes, it's Chinese built but after two years of ownership I have had no quality issues despite constant weekend use including all out racing in heavy wind. I hope the GP 26 is very successful. I would love to race against one as I like the competition like the Melges 24 I race against. that can beat me on time but never to the line :)) I will not post further- there is plenty of info online about all of these boats.

For the line you highlighted to be “factually incorrect” would require cognizance of what the OP “knows”.

Not likely.

16 hours ago, gjbike said:

Yes Darling, 

Similar technology like eglass-epoxy-foam core production with carbon reinforcements ie carbon keel frame and carbon grounding frame plus carbon rig, ss rod standing rigging, carbon composite keel fin and carbon composite rudder.

ORC Division charleston RW 2017
    ORC C
    1.   sm_none_5.png  USA 2604 Rattle 'n' Rum GP 26 Mike Beasley 2 1 1 1 4.5 1 3 1 4 2                 [4.5] 16.0
    2.   sm_none_5.png  USA 259 Eagle's Eye Fareast 28R Tim Fitzgerald 1 7 5 4 3 7 1 2 5 4                 [7] 32.0
    3.   Quantum Sails  USA 71221 Short Bus Henderson 30 Hawk Caldwell 5 4 2 6 2 3.5 7 6 1 3                 [7] 32.5
    4.   sm_none_5.png  USA 105 Cougar Melges 30 College of Charleston 9 5 8 3 1 5 6 3.5 3 1                 [9] 35.5
    5.   sm_none_5.png  USA 184 Fearless melges 32 John/Mark/John Lucas/Jordan/Durlach 8 2 10/DSQ 2 6 3.5 2 3.5 6 5                 [10] 38.0
    6.   sm_none_5.png  USA 2608 Sprint6 GP 26 John Stevens 6 6 4 5 8 2 4 5 7 8                 [8] 47.0
    7.   sm_none_5.png  USA 2609 Hall Pass Donovan GP 26 Jim Carkhuff / Ken Schmidt 3 8 6 8 4.5 6 5 10/RET 2 7                 [10] 49.5
    8.   sm_none_5.png  CAN 129 Hard 1 Fareast 28R Mathew Archibald 4 3 3 7 10/RET 10/DNS 10/RET 10/RET 8 6                 [10] 61.0
    9.   sm_none_5.png  USA 50484 Temptress SR33 Kenneth King 7 9 7 10/RET 7 8 8 10/RET 10/DNC 10/DNC                 [10] 76.0

ORC 2 Quantum Key West 2016
    1.   USA.png sm_none_5.png  USA 808 Wired J 80 Henry DeGroot 1 1 2 2 1 2 3 2 1 1   16.0
    2.   USA.png sm_none_5.png  USA 2604 Rattle N Rum GP 26 Mike Beasley 2 2 1 3 2 3 2 4 2 5   26.0
    3.   USA.png North Sails  USA 012 Swordfish Farr 280 Christopher Pesch 5 3 5 7 6 6 1 1 4 3   41.0
    4.   USA.png sm_none_5.png  USA 1 Eagle's Eye Fareast 28R Matt Wake 10/DNF 4 3 4 7 1 5 5 6 2   47.0
    5.   USA.png sm_none_5.png  USA 26007 Rhumb Punch GP 26 John and Linda Edwards 6 5 6 6 3 4 6 6 3 10/DNC   55.0
    6.   USA.png sm_none_5.png  USA 005 D I E S E L Farr 280 Tate Russack 3 10/OCS 4 1 5 7 4 7 5 10/DNC   56.0
    7.   USA.png sm_none_5.png  USA 006 Standard Deviation Farr 280 Tony Hubbard 7 6 10/RET 8 8 8 7 3 7 4   68.0
    8.   USA.png sm_none_5.png  USA 2610 Supra Turbo GP 26 Peter D'arista 4 7 7 5 4 5 8 8 10/DNF 10/DNC   68.0
    9.   USA.png sm_none_5.png  USA 001 Still Messin' Farr 280 Adam Esselman 10/DNC 10/DNS 10/DNC 10/DNC 10/DNC 10/DNC 10/DNC 10/DNC 10/DNC 10/DNC   100.0

2 boats will be racing in Charleston Race Wekk. Please contact Brady Stagg at

C +1 410 353 8618

and Brady@staggyachts.com

if you are in the area and interested in seeing the boats.

Congratulations to Mike Beasley and his USA 2604 Rattle n Rum team on their impressive repeat victory! Top honors for the Palmetto Cup at the 2018 Charleston Race Week and ORC-C class champs. The GP26/Donovan26OD and crew proved again to be a winning combination. Well done!! 

Joe Gibson called tactics and trimmed the spinnaker while Teddy Haaland worked the bow and served as strategist aboard Rattle-n-Rum, which has now captured class honors at Sperry Charleston Race Week three years in a row. Brady Stagg trimmed the main and handled strategy downwind, Joanna Haaland handled the runners while Ryan Rutkowski was the floater.

the results are here

Photo Credit: Tim Wilkes Photography and Charleston RW archive.

30708702_10151099258529978_4130229730188812861_n.jpg

30726760_10151099754639978_7805166530081881591_n (1).jpg

42 minutes ago, M32USA123 said:

How do they do in PHRF?  Obviously in ORC they do well.

Hi M32USA123.

Some PHRF results I have are listed below.

DM if you need any further info.  

4 hours ago, windseekeryachts said:

Hi M32USA123.

Some PHRF results I have are listed below.

DM if you need any further info.  

Some of those links did not work, or did not show the other boats it was against.  I would be interested to see it in PHRF against, for example, a Melges 32, Farr 30, Farr 395.  They are interesting boats and intrigued me at CRW.

On 4/17/2018 at 3:05 PM, M32USA123 said:

19 hours ago, M32USA123 said:

Some of those links did not work, or did not show the other boats it was against.  I would be interested to see it in PHRF against, for example, a Melges 32, Farr 30, Farr 395.  They are interesting boats and intrigued me at CRW.

Hi that is sometimes how the results are posted.

Anyway Please try http://www.regattanetwork.com/event/13873#_newsroom  the results are from Mardi Gras Race week 2017. Lucy is Hull11 PHRF 75 in New Orleans

that one has boat names as well as the Boat Brand/model.

If you have further questions Please DM so we can look at some ORC results and use PHRF for TOT correction. Rattle N Rum raced against M32s in Annapolis Fall regatta in 2017 and 2016 

Best,

SC

On 4/17/2018 at 8:05 AM, M32USA123 said:

Check AYC https://www.annapolisyc.com/racing/results. Specifically WNR 2017, 2016, etc. You will find hall pass and rattle and rum listed. There's a viper 830 for a comparison. There's a melges 32 but in the class above. Rattle is sailed very well by some really good people. Hall pass would be more of a standard crew for comparison sake. 

You can also look at Fall series. Hall Pass was scored both orc and phrf for 2017.