windseekeryachts

Donovan 26 OD, Proven PHRF and ORC winner now in One Design Configuration

Recommended Posts

The Donovan 26 One Design is an evolution of the successful GP26 built by Wraceboats. The design
demonstrated exceptional speed and control at regattas in the U.S., Europe and Asia, regularly finishing
ahead of the competition and gaining praise from the crews who sailed aboard.

 

Details to follow...

Spinsheet 12-18 V4.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How does it work when every boat already built is different?  What is the 1D configuration going to be? Are current boats grandfather in or will need for conform?

I like  the boat but feel this should of been decided before you sold xx number. 

Do you have a back log of sales that will produce this class in the US?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like there's no info available yet. It's not on Stagg's website or facebook page. Just a teaser on the facebook page.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2017 at 4:38 AM, nroose said:

Seems like there's no info available yet. It's not on Stagg's website or facebook page. Just a teaser on the facebook page.

We are nearly finished with the promotion materials and information will be out on Stagg's web, facebook as well as Wraceboats pages.

It wont be long.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/19/2017 at 4:18 PM, crashtestdummy said:

How does it work when every boat already built is different?  What is the 1D configuration going to be? Are current boats grandfather in or will need for conform?

I like  the boat but feel this should of been decided before you sold xx number. 

Do you have a back log of sales that will produce this class in the US?

In USA all 8 boats are based on (6) East coast and (2)Michigan Lake

There is Version1 boats.  Hulls 3-4

 Then there are Version2 boats. With carbon keel frame. Of these Hulls 5 and 6  are lifting keel. 7-9-10 are fixed keel.

Then Hull8 which has an inboard is obviously heavier of the bunch and has more drag due to the saildrive.

Old boats will be grandfathered in the OD. and Old boats with the exception of hull8 (inboard) can retrofit with a longer boom and bowsprit to conform to the OD setup.

More information will be out soon.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Serhad,

Definitely like the mods to the boat - nice job!

It seems like a bit of a hefty price tag.  The boat will end up at 110K+ by the time it hits the starting line.  I am wondering if that is going to be easy to sell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Christian,

Race ready price will be below 100k for sure.

It was not an easy sell when the pricing was factory direct and abt 30pct lower as well...Now that we have dealer support, class development/support, and aftersales support, a proven boat, and a advertising budget, we believe it will be relatively easy to sell new boats. 

I do not know of any boat with similar technology and speed, below this price tag that is selling in large numbers. Price is a factor for sure but not the only factor as you know.

SC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know I'd rather get into a GP26 at sub 100k than a Farr280 or C&C30 at well past 130. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2018 at 10:46 PM, windseekeryachts said:

Hi Christian,

Race ready price will be below 100k for sure.

It was not an easy sell when the pricing was factory direct and abt 30pct lower as well...Now that we have dealer support, class development/support, and aftersales support, a proven boat, and a advertising budget, we believe it will be relatively easy to sell new boats. 

I do not know of any boat with similar technology and speed, below this price tag that is selling in large numbers. Price is a factor for sure but not the only factor as you know.

SC

Not trying to rain on your parade or pick a fight. The GP 26 is a great little boat but the line I highlighted above is factually incorrect. With a  PHRF of 81 it is slower than the Fareast 28 which has a PHRF of 54 ,( as you would expect from a longer waterline). It already has a OD design races in Europe   and has sold more than 300 boats worldwide. It sells for almost half of the GP26. price. Granted it has an aluminum mast and boom but it does have a carbon keel and rudder. Yes, it's Chinese built but after two years of ownership I have had no quality issues despite constant weekend use including all out racing in heavy wind. I hope the GP 26 is very successful. I would love to race against one as I like the competition like the Melges 24 I race against. that can beat me on time but never to the line :)) I will not post further- there is plenty of info online about all of these boats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, gjbike said:

Not trying to rain on your parade or pick a fight. The GP 26 is a great little boat but the line I highlighted above is factually incorrect. With a  PHRF of 81 it is slower than the Fareast 28 which has a PHRF of 54 ,( as you would expect from a longer waterline). It already has a OD design races in Europe   and has sold more than 300 boats worldwide. It sells for almost half of the GP26. price. Granted it has an aluminum mast and boom but it does have a carbon keel and rudder. Yes, it's Chinese built but after two years of ownership I have had no quality issues despite constant weekend use including all out racing in heavy wind. I hope the GP 26 is very successful. I would love to race against one as I like the competition like the Melges 24 I race against. that can beat me on time but never to the line :)) I will not post further- there is plenty of info online about all of these boats.

For the line you highlighted to be “factually incorrect” would require cognizance of what the OP “knows”.

Not likely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, gjbike said:

Not trying to rain on your parade or pick a fight. The GP 26 is a great little boat but the line I highlighted above is factually incorrect. With a  PHRF of 81 it is slower than the Fareast 28 which has a PHRF of 54 ,( as you would expect from a longer waterline). It already has a OD design races in Europe   and has sold more than 300 boats worldwide. It sells for almost half of the GP26. price. Granted it has an aluminum mast and boom but it does have a carbon keel and rudder. Yes, it's Chinese built but after two years of ownership I have had no quality issues despite constant weekend use including all out racing in heavy wind. I hope the GP 26 is very successful. I would love to race against one as I like the competition like the Melges 24 I race against. that can beat me on time but never to the line :)) I will not post further- there is plenty of info online about all of these boats.

Yes Darling, 

Similar technology like eglass-epoxy-foam core production with carbon reinforcements ie carbon keel frame and carbon grounding frame plus carbon rig, ss rod standing rigging, carbon composite keel fin and carbon composite rudder.

ORC Division charleston RW 2017
    ORC C
    1.   sm_none_5.png  USA 2604 Rattle 'n' Rum GP 26 Mike Beasley 2 1 1 1 4.5 1 3 1 4 2                 [4.5] 16.0
    2.   sm_none_5.png  USA 259 Eagle's Eye Fareast 28R Tim Fitzgerald 1 7 5 4 3 7 1 2 5 4                 [7] 32.0
    3.   Quantum Sails  USA 71221 Short Bus Henderson 30 Hawk Caldwell 5 4 2 6 2 3.5 7 6 1 3                 [7] 32.5
    4.   sm_none_5.png  USA 105 Cougar Melges 30 College of Charleston 9 5 8 3 1 5 6 3.5 3 1                 [9] 35.5
    5.   sm_none_5.png  USA 184 Fearless melges 32 John/Mark/John Lucas/Jordan/Durlach 8 2 10/DSQ 2 6 3.5 2 3.5 6 5                 [10] 38.0
    6.   sm_none_5.png  USA 2608 Sprint6 GP 26 John Stevens 6 6 4 5 8 2 4 5 7 8                 [8] 47.0
    7.   sm_none_5.png  USA 2609 Hall Pass Donovan GP 26 Jim Carkhuff / Ken Schmidt 3 8 6 8 4.5 6 5 10/RET 2 7                 [10] 49.5
    8.   sm_none_5.png  CAN 129 Hard 1 Fareast 28R Mathew Archibald 4 3 3 7 10/RET 10/DNS 10/RET 10/RET 8 6                 [10] 61.0
    9.   sm_none_5.png  USA 50484 Temptress SR33 Kenneth King 7 9 7 10/RET 7 8 8 10/RET 10/DNC 10/DNC                 [10] 76.0

 

ORC 2 Quantum Key West 2016
    1.   USA.png sm_none_5.png  USA 808 Wired J 80 Henry DeGroot 1 1 2 2 1 2 3 2 1 1   16.0
    2.   USA.png sm_none_5.png  USA 2604 Rattle N Rum GP 26 Mike Beasley 2 2 1 3 2 3 2 4 2 5   26.0
    3.   USA.png North Sails  USA 012 Swordfish Farr 280 Christopher Pesch 5 3 5 7 6 6 1 1 4 3   41.0
    4.   USA.png sm_none_5.png  USA 1 Eagle's Eye Fareast 28R Matt Wake 10/DNF 4 3 4 7 1 5 5 6 2   47.0
    5.   USA.png sm_none_5.png  USA 26007 Rhumb Punch GP 26 John and Linda Edwards 6 5 6 6 3 4 6 6 3 10/DNC   55.0
    6.   USA.png sm_none_5.png  USA 005 D I E S E L Farr 280 Tate Russack 3 10/OCS 4 1 5 7 4 7 5 10/DNC   56.0
    7.   USA.png sm_none_5.png  USA 006 Standard Deviation Farr 280 Tony Hubbard 7 6 10/RET 8 8 8 7 3 7 4   68.0
    8.   USA.png sm_none_5.png  USA 2610 Supra Turbo GP 26 Peter D'arista 4 7 7 5 4 5 8 8 10/DNF 10/DNC   68.0
    9.   USA.png sm_none_5.png  USA 001 Still Messin' Farr 280 Adam Esselman 10/DNC 10/DNS 10/DNC 10/DNC 10/DNC 10/DNC 10/DNC 10/DNC 10/DNC 10/DNC   100.0
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 boats will be racing in Charleston Race Wekk. Please contact Brady Stagg at

C +1 410 353 8618

Skype: Bradygstagg

and Brady@staggyachts.com

if you are in the area and interested in seeing the boats.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations to Mike Beasley and his USA 2604 Rattle n Rum team on their impressive repeat victory! Top honors for the Palmetto Cup at the 2018 Charleston Race Week and ORC-C class champs. The GP26/Donovan26OD and crew proved again to be a winning combination. Well done!! 

Joe Gibson called tactics and trimmed the spinnaker while Teddy Haaland worked the bow and served as strategist aboard Rattle-n-Rum, which has now captured class honors at Sperry Charleston Race Week three years in a row. Brady Stagg trimmed the main and handled strategy downwind, Joanna Haaland handled the runners while Ryan Rutkowski was the floater.

the results are here

 

Photo Credit: Tim Wilkes Photography and Charleston RW archive.

30708702_10151099258529978_4130229730188812861_n.jpg

30726760_10151099754639978_7805166530081881591_n (1).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, M32USA123 said:

How do they do in PHRF?  Obviously in ORC they do well.

Hi M32USA123.

Some PHRF results I have are listed below.

DM if you need any further info.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, windseekeryachts said:

Hi M32USA123.

Some PHRF results I have are listed below.

DM if you need any further info.  

Some of those links did not work, or did not show the other boats it was against.  I would be interested to see it in PHRF against, for example, a Melges 32, Farr 30, Farr 395.  They are interesting boats and intrigued me at CRW.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2018 at 3:05 PM, M32USA123 said:

How do they do in PHRF?  Obviously in ORC they do well.

 

19 hours ago, M32USA123 said:

Some of those links did not work, or did not show the other boats it was against.  I would be interested to see it in PHRF against, for example, a Melges 32, Farr 30, Farr 395.  They are interesting boats and intrigued me at CRW.

Hi that is sometimes how the results are posted.

Anyway Please try http://www.regattanetwork.com/event/13873#_newsroom  the results are from Mardi Gras Race week 2017. Lucy is Hull11 PHRF 75 in New Orleans

 

that one has boat names as well as the Boat Brand/model.

If you have further questions Please DM so we can look at some ORC results and use PHRF for TOT correction. Rattle N Rum raced against M32s in Annapolis Fall regatta in 2017 and 2016 

Best,

SC

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2018 at 8:05 AM, M32USA123 said:

How do they do in PHRF?  Obviously in ORC they do well.

Check AYC https://www.annapolisyc.com/racing/results. Specifically WNR 2017, 2016, etc. You will find hall pass and rattle and rum listed. There's a viper 830 for a comparison. There's a melges 32 but in the class above. Rattle is sailed very well by some really good people. Hall pass would be more of a standard crew for comparison sake. 

You can also look at Fall series. Hall Pass was scored both orc and phrf for 2017.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, windseekeryachts said:

Congratulations to Team Lucy for their 2nd place in Southern Yacht Clubs's Masters Ragatta, May 12 2018. The results are @http://www.regattanetwork.com/c…/applet_regatta_results.php… 

meanwhile new logo and sailplan rendering is ready and we have first Donovan26OD in production...


photo credit: Blaine Gahagan

D26OD sailplan Red.jpg

32675371_1253458631424573_873724836248027136_n.jpg

No backstay deflectors?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

No backstay deflector.New generation and One Design boats are equipped with running backstays to accomodate Square top mains.           Image may contain: sky, ocean, outdoor and water

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see an Extreme 26 from Netherlands has now shown up in Charleston, how dows this compare to the Donnovan ??

looks VERY similar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi barefootChildren CRW18 results are below. FYI Sprint6 has an inboard diesel engine and is  much heavier than Donovan26OD, or a regular GP26.

Xtreme26 was nearly 3 minutes behind 2604 on the race course on their best score, 3rd race. 

I do not see much similarity.  Some other may see...

ORC C Charleston Race week 2018
    1.   sm_none_5.png  USA 2604 Rattle n Rum GP 26 Mike Beasley 1 1 1 1 1 4 2            

 

[4] 7.0
    2.   sm_none_5.png  USA 9 UltraViolet Antrim 27 Dave Prucnal 2 4 2 2 2 2 3               [4] 13.0
    3.   sm_none_5.png  USA 184 Fearless melges 32 John Lucas/Durlach 3 5 5 5 3 1 7               [7] 22.0
    4.   sm_none_5.png  USA 105 Cougar Melges 30 Ned Goss 6 6 3 3 4 6 6               [6] 28.0
    5.   sm_none_5.png  USA 293 Eagle's Eye Fareast 28R Matt Wake 5 2 4 4 8 7 9               [9] 30.0
    6.   sm_none_5.png  USA 97925 Fully Involved B25 Steve Vincent 4 10 7 7 9 5 1               [10] 33.0
    7.   sm_none_5.png  USA 356 Monkey Business Fareast 28R Jonathan Pollak 7 3 8 6 7 9.5 5               [9.5] 36.0
    8.   sm_none_5.png  USA 46453 Chip's All In B32 Chip Merlin 9 8 10 9 6 3 4               [10] 39.0
    9.   sm_none_5.png  USA 2608 Sprint 6 GP 26 G John Stevens 8 7 6 8 10 9.5 10               [10] 48.5
    10.   sm_none_5.png  USA 174 Guillotine Melges 32 Guy Mossman 10 9 11 12 5 8 8               [12] 51.0
    11.   sm_none_5.png  USA 60848 Reload X-Treme 26 Oleg Popov 11 11 9 10 12 11 12               [12] 64.0
    12.   Quantum Sails  USA 25 Patriot Farr 30 US Patriot Sailing / Steve Young 12 12 12 11 11 12 11               [12] 69.0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, windseekeryachts said:

 

No backstay deflector.New generation and One Design boats are equipped with running backstays to accomodate Square top mains.           Image may contain: sky, ocean, outdoor and water

I am aware of this.  Moose put deflectors on his rig.  Deflectors go from the backstays to the hounds (the point on the mast where the forestay attaches) so you can add some of the backstay tension to increase forestay tension when going upwind in heavier air.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, windseekeryachts said:

Hi barefootChildren CRW18 results are below. FYI Sprint6 has an inboard diesel engine and is  much heavier than Donovan26OD, or a regular GP26.

Xtreme26 was nearly 3 minutes behind 2604 on the race course on their best score, 3rd race. 

I do not see much similarity.  Some other may see...

ORC C Charleston Race week 2018
    1.   sm_none_5.png  USA 2604 Rattle n Rum GP 26 Mike Beasley 1 1 1 1 1 4 2            

 

[4] 7.0
    2.   sm_none_5.png  USA 9 UltraViolet Antrim 27 Dave Prucnal 2 4 2 2 2 2 3               [4] 13.0
    3.   sm_none_5.png  USA 184 Fearless melges 32 John Lucas/Durlach 3 5 5 5 3 1 7               [7] 22.0
    4.   sm_none_5.png  USA 105 Cougar Melges 30 Ned Goss 6 6 3 3 4 6 6               [6] 28.0
    5.   sm_none_5.png  USA 293 Eagle's Eye Fareast 28R Matt Wake 5 2 4 4 8 7 9               [9] 30.0
    6.   sm_none_5.png  USA 97925 Fully Involved B25 Steve Vincent 4 10 7 7 9 5 1               [10] 33.0
    7.   sm_none_5.png  USA 356 Monkey Business Fareast 28R Jonathan Pollak 7 3 8 6 7 9.5 5               [9.5] 36.0
    8.   sm_none_5.png  USA 46453 Chip's All In B32 Chip Merlin 9 8 10 9 6 3 4               [10] 39.0
    9.   sm_none_5.png  USA 2608 Sprint 6 GP 26 G John Stevens 8 7 6 8 10 9.5 10               [10] 48.5
    10.   sm_none_5.png  USA 174 Guillotine Melges 32 Guy Mossman 10 9 11 12 5 8 8               [12] 51.0
    11.   sm_none_5.png  USA 60848 Reload X-Treme 26 Oleg Popov 11 11 9 10 12 11 12               [12] 64.0
    12.   Quantum Sails  USA 25 Patriot Farr 30 US Patriot Sailing / Steve Young 12 12 12 11 11 12 11               [12] 69.0

I'm aware of there results in CRW, i was looking more at dimensions:    No idea of price for Xtreme ??

                          GP26          Xtreme 26

Disp  #             2315             2425

L                       26.0                 25.8

Beam               8.36                  8.2

IG                     30.8                 31.66  

ISP                   37.2                 36.74

J                       9.6                    9.84

E                      13.6                  11.81

DRAFT            6.32                  6.56

                                                           

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Christian said:

I am aware of this.  Moose put deflectors on his rig.  Deflectors go from the backstays to the hounds (the point on the mast where the forestay attaches) so you can add some of the backstay tension to increase forestay tension when going upwind in heavier air.

Ok, yes OneDesign config will have backstay deflectors, it is not detailed in the render. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the hope to have one design sailing in the US or just a class of these with rating adjustments?

whats full up, electronics, sails, trailer- everythimg  you need to travel and race to win cost of your one design version?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, crashtestdummy said:

What about current boats?  Owner# now need to modify to one design specs to race in class?  Sails, motor, keel etc?

8 boats sailing in the Usa east coast. 7 can comply with OD specs.  They will be grandfathered and can race as is. There will be retrofitting option to full OD complience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, TBone said:

What’s involved in the “retrofitting option”?

Boom, Mast and sprit all slightly longer for a more powered up boat.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Better off buying a new boat!  50k retrofit by time you factor in sails and standing rigging?

OD change is great but the value of those 8 us boats was just halved 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2018 at 4:11 PM, barefoot children said:

I see an Extreme 26 from Netherlands has now shown up in Charleston, how dows this compare to the Donnovan ??

looks VERY similar

 

On 5/20/2018 at 11:13 PM, TBone said:

What’s involved in the “retrofitting option”?

 

On 5/22/2018 at 1:29 PM, crashtestdummy said:

Better off buying a new boat!  50k retrofit by time you factor in sails and standing rigging?

OD change is great but the value of those 8 us boats was just halved 

Well, I may be biased but I do not agree.

Firstly boats can race as is.

Secondly , The retrofit equipment package is less than 15,000USD add another 15,000 For the sails total 30,000USD

Second hand boats asking is about 60,000USD with trailer, electronics and sails

I do not think that existing boats value is halved. As optional retfotitting to OD is still less than a new boat.  If and when the OD fleet is established,  Existing boats will benefit too....

But As I have said I may be biased.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Carbon mast, boom, sprit OR Aluminum?  Not sure how you can do that for 15k even in Aluminum    Just new running rigging will be 3k and standing rigging another 5

mansails and kites for certain. Are headsails same size or need to be replaced too?  From my experience with boats that size 3DI main 6k, 2 kites @3k each, headsails 2.5 each.  

not doubting you but I think your numbers are a salesman pitch not actuality 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I might be biased too, sailing a Farr25

A mast package for my boat (Southern Spars though) comes at approx. 17k Euros, including carbon mast, carbon boom, and carbon bow sprit. Running stuff, shipping, etc. excluded... Nice if you can get a full new rigging set for a Donovan OD for 15k then... Do you mind telling me where I can order this from, as I might need a spare set? And I am not joking here. I would really consider buying one...

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, crashtestdummy said:

Carbon mast, boom, sprit OR Aluminum?  Not sure how you can do that for 15k even in Aluminum    Just new running rigging will be 3k and standing rigging another 5

mansails and kites for certain. Are headsails same size or need to be replaced too?  From my experience with boats that size 3DI main 6k, 2 kites @3k each, headsails 2.5 each.  

not doubting you but I think your numbers are a salesman pitch not actuality 

Chashtestdummy, actual numbers... Carbon Mast, Boom and Sprit they are producers prices. No need for new running rigging. Standing rod rigging is included. I do not have the prices for sails.

Also more likely an new boom will not be necessary as recent debrief after CRW shoved there is less to be gained.  Keeping the cost for retrofitting even more reasonable.

If you have any further and detailed questions pls DM.

thx

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, teleboxAUT118 said:

I might be biased too, sailing a Farr25

A mast package for my boat (Southern Spars though) comes at approx. 17k Euros, including carbon mast, carbon boom, and carbon bow sprit. Running stuff, shipping, etc. excluded... Nice if you can get a full new rigging set for a Donovan OD for 15k then... Do you mind telling me where I can order this from, as I might need a spare set? And I am not joking here. I would really consider buying one...

 

 

 

 

 

Hey give me a call I will tell.  Sukru has my number. I am nor Joking either.  I will include your order with others...

PS: as a private client for 1 set of course you can not get that price from the mast maker.;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, windseekeryachts said:

Chashtestdummy, actual numbers... Carbon Mast, Boom and Sprit they are producers prices. No need for new running rigging. Standing rod rigging is included. I do not have the prices for sails.

Also more likely an new boom will not be necessary as recent debrief after CRW shoved there is less to be gained.  Keeping the cost for retrofitting even more reasonable.

If you have any further and detailed questions pls DM.

thx

 

So kind of OD, maybe OD, not really OD, we don't know the actual specs for OD yet because the boom is in question again OD? Seriously guys, how are you marketing OD when you are still debating things.  

Also get on the same page with Stagg. Directly from their website.... shows no update to the Mast length, yet your information above in the thread does.

Updates include:

  • Bow sprit lengthened by 800 millimeters
  • Boom lengthened by 300 millimeters
  • Gooseneck lowered 75 millimeters
  • Added topmast runners to accommodate square-top mainsail
  • Added a spinnaker takedown system
  • Addition of a pit winch
  • Relocation and reconfiguration of some deck gear and systems to improve leads and ergonomics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, trimfast said:

So kind of OD, maybe OD, not really OD, we don't know the actual specs for OD yet because the boom is in question again OD? Seriously guys, how are you marketing OD when you are still debating things.  

Also get on the same page with Stagg. Directly from their website.... shows no update to the Mast length, yet your information above in the thread does.

Updates include:

  • Bow sprit lengthened by 800 millimeters
  • Boom lengthened by 300 millimeters
  • Gooseneck lowered 75 millimeters
  • Added topmast runners to accommodate square-top mainsail
  • Added a spinnaker takedown system
  • Addition of a pit winch
  • Relocation and reconfiguration of some deck gear and systems to improve leads and ergonomics

Thank you Trimfast for paying close attention...

My bad...Initially there was some discussion of longer mast, then the decision was made to lower the gooseneck to achieve same Main sail area increase.

We are looking into lowering the gooseneck on existing boat masts, that involves some surgery.  We did not receive the final answer from Mast Maker yet on this procedure or will it be possible...

BUT...  keeping the boom same is fresh news as of yesterday.  Stagg will update their page... So the retrofitting is Cheaper than what is written above and originally thought. 

Existing boats with the exception of one inboard engine boat will be grandfathered and can race as is... 

One design for sure...

Stagg have a letter of intent for the Donovan 26 One Design racing. We are having some enquiries, no boat ordered yet.  Rules and Specs will be finalized before first boat is ordered...
Stagg is marketing.  For detailed infromation, please contact them directly.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wind seeker: Lowering the gooseneck less than 3”?

Why bother?

If so, hope you’re swapping out the masts for the boats that already exist. They bought into something and now you’re changing the game on them.

Sails are one thing, but new spars? WTF?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New spars are NOT needed to configure GP26 into D26.

After review of mainsail designs for "Rattle N Rum" and the D26, the realization was that the longer boom doesn't produce as much extra sail area as simply making the square-head longer. So decision was made to keep original boom length.

Many of the existing masts have already changed to twin topmast backstays, which is quite simple. Most boats left the original crane in case they ever wanted to go back to a pinhead mainsail. The D26 will be have a small deflector added so the topmast stays can act as runners to tension the forestay; major performance gain for a couple small slots in the mast and couple small fairleads. Again an easy retro fit to an existing mast.

Moving the gooseneck down is quite simple for most the masts, and I expect Pauger could supply a "kit" for these. I will do the same for the masts I built.

The biggest change is the lengthened sprit which will make the boat so much easier to gybe and faster downwind. Pauger could most likely supply a sleeve to extend the aft end, but I suspect most would opt for a new sprit as the cost is quite small.

Any more questions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2018 at 4:07 PM, Jim Donovan said:

Any more questions?

Cost to re-configure GP26 into D26?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2018 at 8:44 PM, TBone said:

Cost to re-configure GP26 into D26?

In light of recent decision, only new bowsprit (apart from sails) is necessary for D26 upgrade.

New Bowsprit 760 USD before shipment

 

Still waiting final confirmation from mast maker for the gooseneck kit. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, windseekeryachts said:

In light of recent decision, only new bowsprit (apart from sails) is necessary for D26 upgrade.

New Bowsprit 760 USD before shipment

 

Still waiting final confirmation from mast maker for the gooseneck kit. 

 

I hope this turns out well. Plus, who doesn't want a bigger kite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, trimfast said:

I hope this turns out well. Plus, who doesn't want a bigger kite.

Ok, mast maker just replied the gooseneck kit will be available for the retrofitting.

I will pay the price for the gooseneck kits.  Boat owner will pay for the workmanship... We prefer this to be done @ Beasley Marine.

Longer bowsprit 760 USD before shipment.

New sails depends on material, brand but I am pretty sure it will be sub 15,000USD for Main, Jib and 2 asymetrics as a starter package (no 3DL/I but laminate sails).

So retrofitting to D26 will start from  Bowsprit  + 2 asymetrics = roughly 9000USD

and may go up to Bowsprit+ gooseneck+ main+jib+2 asymetrics= roughly 16,000USD 

existing boats will be grandfathered  so the owners may choose to upgrade when they want after class is established.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, windseekeryachts said:

Ok, mast maker just replied the gooseneck kit will be available for the retrofitting.

I will pay the price for the gooseneck kits.  Boat owner will pay for the workmanship... We prefer this to be done @ Beasley Marine.

Longer bowsprit 760 USD before shipment.

New sails depends on material, brand but I am pretty sure it will be sub 15,000USD for Main, Jib and 2 asymetrics as a starter package (no 3DL/I but laminate sails).

So retrofitting to D26 will start from  Bowsprit  + 2 asymetrics = roughly 9000USD

and may go up to Bowsprit+ gooseneck+ main+jib+2 asymetrics= roughly 16,000USD 

existing boats will be grandfathered  so the owners may choose to upgrade when they want after class is established.

 

 

I think you are overstating the cost of upgrading the boat to one -design. Sails need replacing anyway over time as old ones wear out .  A hyper competitive program buys new sails each year. A moderately competitive program buys sails every 2 years.

Sails are like gasoline....its a running cost not a capital cost.

Upgrade is new bowsprit + the additional rigging changes to the mast +deflectors. Seems very doable to me.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, EYESAILOR said:

I think you are overstating the cost of upgrading the boat to one -design. Sails need replacing anyway over time as old ones wear out .  A hyper competitive program buys new sails each year. A moderately competitive program buys sails every 2 years.

Sails are like gasoline....its a running cost not a capital cost.

Upgrade is new bowsprit + the additional rigging changes to the mast +deflectors. Seems very doable to me.

 

Thnx. Previously the understanding was I was understating. 

Conclusion is... no bad effect on existing boats...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So any truth to the rumor that the GPOD is going to be an Olympic boat? heard it on the dock the other day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Peacefrog said:

So any truth to the rumor that the GPOD is going to be an Olympic boat? heard it on the dock the other day.

I did not hear such a thing :huh:...

We are following ISAF guideline for the class rules with an aim to establish the boat as a internationally recognized class like F40, F30.  (Both of these boats gained this recognition under the management of principally same people form Stagg Yachts) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Peacefrog said:

So any truth to the rumor that the GPOD is going to be an Olympic boat? heard it on the dock the other day.

With the Olympics in France in 2024, I could envision something like the Figaro 3 becoming an Olympic boat. To accommodate the extra crew required by the GPOD, seems like sailors would need to be allowed to compete for metals in multiple events.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations to Team Rattle N Rum, winning Annapolis Yacht Club's Wednesday Eve Racing Series2 with straight bullets

Their worst result on course was second across the line.   

the results are  here .

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Massive congratulations to Team RattleNRum and skipper Mike Beasley winning 64th NASS Race to Oxford in 20 boat PHRFA2 Division.

They also broke the top speed record for the boat with 20.8knots. 

the results are here

Rattle N Rum ran the 29.3 mile course in 3hrs 13mins 36secs. Fastest finish for a monohull. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, windseekeryachts said:

Rattle N Rum ran the 29.3 mile course in 3hrs 13mins 36secs. Fastest finish for a monohull. 

Love the boat, but I think the Farr 400 ran it in less than 3 hours looking at the results. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, trimfast said:

Love the boat, but I think the Farr 400 ran it in less than 3 hours looking at the results. 

Which boat is F400. I will check. nevertheless pretty impressive result for a 26footer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, windseekeryachts said:

Which boat is F400. I will check. nevertheless pretty impressive result for a 26footer.

Correction to above, RattleNRum had the 2nd fastest run on the course after Farr400 Jeroboam.

As I Previously looked at 1st and 2nd places on corrected time and did not realise the 2hr 59min15sec finish time which corrected to 3rd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, crashtestdummy said:

Update on any new boat builds on the east coast?  Used market?

thanks 

Hi Crashtestdummy,

Still 8 boats on east coast and unfortunately no new builds. stagg has a used boat on  the market due to owner relocating. Please see https://www.staggyachts.com for FatKid.  Also pls contact them for info and pricing for a Donovan26OD.

RattleNRum is doing 16 knots, 3 sail reaching on their way to victory @64th NASS race to Oxford. 

FB_IMG_15367659053349993.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2018 at 3:55 AM, windseekeryachts said:

Yes Darling, 

Similar technology like eglass-epoxy-foam core production with carbon reinforcements ie carbon keel frame and carbon grounding frame plus carbon rig, ss rod standing rigging, carbon composite keel fin and carbon composite rudder.

ORC Division charleston RW 2017
    ORC C
    1.   sm_none_5.png  USA 2604 Rattle 'n' Rum GP 26 Mike Beasley 2 1 1 1 4.5 1 3 1 4 2                 [4.5] 16.0
    2.   sm_none_5.png  USA 259 Eagle's Eye Fareast 28R Tim Fitzgerald 1 7 5 4 3 7 1 2 5 4                 [7] 32.0
    3.   Quantum Sails  USA 71221 Short Bus Henderson 30 Hawk Caldwell 5 4 2 6 2 3.5 7 6 1 3                 [7] 32.5
    4.   sm_none_5.png  USA 105 Cougar Melges 30 College of Charleston 9 5 8 3 1 5 6 3.5 3 1                 [9] 35.5
    5.   sm_none_5.png  USA 184 Fearless melges 32 John/Mark/John Lucas/Jordan/Durlach 8 2 10/DSQ 2 6 3.5 2 3.5 6 5                 [10] 38.0
    6.   sm_none_5.png  USA 2608 Sprint6 GP 26 John Stevens 6 6 4 5 8 2 4 5 7 8                 [8] 47.0
    7.   sm_none_5.png  USA 2609 Hall Pass Donovan GP 26 Jim Carkhuff / Ken Schmidt 3 8 6 8 4.5 6 5 10/RET 2 7                 [10] 49.5
    8.   sm_none_5.png  CAN 129 Hard 1 Fareast 28R Mathew Archibald 4 3 3 7 10/RET 10/DNS 10/RET 10/RET 8 6                 [10] 61.0
    9.   sm_none_5.png  USA 50484 Temptress SR33 Kenneth King 7 9 7 10/RET 7 8 8 10/RET 10/DNC 10/DNC                 [10] 76.0

 

ORC 2 Quantum Key West 2016
    1.   USA.png sm_none_5.png  USA 808 Wired J 80 Henry DeGroot 1 1 2 2 1 2 3 2 1 1   16.0
    2.   USA.png sm_none_5.png  USA 2604 Rattle N Rum GP 26 Mike Beasley 2 2 1 3 2 3 2 4 2 5   26.0
    3.   USA.png North Sails  USA 012 Swordfish Farr 280 Christopher Pesch 5 3 5 7 6 6 1 1 4 3   41.0
    4.   USA.png sm_none_5.png  USA 1 Eagle's Eye Fareast 28R Matt Wake 10/DNF 4 3 4 7 1 5 5 6 2   47.0
    5.   USA.png sm_none_5.png  USA 26007 Rhumb Punch GP 26 John and Linda Edwards 6 5 6 6 3 4 6 6 3 10/DNC   55.0
    6.   USA.png sm_none_5.png  USA 005 D I E S E L Farr 280 Tate Russack 3 10/OCS 4 1 5 7 4 7 5 10/DNC   56.0
    7.   USA.png sm_none_5.png  USA 006 Standard Deviation Farr 280 Tony Hubbard 7 6 10/RET 8 8 8 7 3 7 4   68.0