R.Thomas

Seatalk fail

Replaced my belt on st4000+ auto pilot and when I when to turned on breaker, the wheel spun about 1/4 turn and then I got a STLK FAIL. Raymarine support was not much help. Busted out the multimeter and tested all power and Seatalk lines all were good. Disconnected each of the other component and same effing wheel movement and damn fault message. Dissconnected the Seatalk cables from the auto pilot component and yes same unholy message. Maybe i tightened the belt too much and was drawing the power down causing the fault, so I disengaged the belt...yep eff you seatalk error! Ran out of troubleshooting ideas any suggestions and/or comments to tell me I’m an idiot and at least make me laugh at myself would be greatly appreciated. Oh and yes it was working just fine before I replaced the belt. 

Check all the Seatalk connections on every instrument and inspect them. I was fixing a friends boat that had the same message intermittently.  Found a small hex nut had lodged itself between two pins on the back of a ST60 instrument's Seatalk connector.  It had been there for years causing a hard to troubleshoot intermittent problem. The other issue might be the ST4000 loading  and dropping voltage causing the Seatalk bus fault.  Unplug the Seatalk from it and see if the fault remains.

I had a sporadic failure on my ST4000+, finally took all the connections off all the pins, gave them a little ooch with a pair of pliers, coated them with TefGel and plugged everything back together. No problem for two years now.

17 hours ago, R.Thomas said:

Replaced my belt on st4000+ auto pilot and when I when to turned on breaker, the wheel spun about 1/4 turn and then I got a STLK FAIL. Raymarine support was not much help. Busted out the multimeter and tested all power and Seatalk lines all were good. Disconnected each of the other component and same effing wheel movement and damn fault message. Dissconnected the Seatalk cables from the auto pilot component and yes same unholy message. Maybe i tightened the belt too much and was drawing the power down causing the fault, so I disengaged the belt...yep eff you seatalk error! Ran out of troubleshooting ideas any suggestions and/or comments to tell me I’m an idiot and at least make me laugh at myself would be greatly appreciated. Oh and yes it was working just fine before I replaced the belt. 

I dont know your auto system ....how does the autopilt know what the position of the rudder is ? 

are you certain that the autopilot rudder feedback is true .....auto drive units have port and startbord limit switchs to prevent the rudder from being driven onto the rudder stops. 

Additionaly is have had  seatalk freeze up ...to correct I depowered the complete  system , then repowered. 

It worked 

On 12/20/2017 at 11:13 PM, slug zitski said:

I dont know your auto system ....how does the autopilt know what the position of the rudder is ? 

are you certain that the autopilot rudder feedback is true .....auto drive units have port and startbord limit switchs to prevent the rudder from being driven onto the rudder stops. 

Additionaly is have had  seatalk freeze up ...to correct I depowered the complete  system , then repowered. 

It worked 

If it's installed, the ST4000+ has a rudder  position sensor. I don't have mine installed because it works for what I need without it. There is a software setting for port/stbd limits.

Unfortunately, all the efforts have been futile, the head unit is bad. Had it sent to a dude in Colorado and he tested it. Good news, I have a refurnished one on the way. Should be back to single handed status in a few days. Thanks for all the suggestions.