Sign in to follow this  
PinkSpinnaker

Hobie 33 anyone?

For something a little different, here are some photos of a Hobie 33 offshore racing in the 2005 Bermuda 1-2. The first one is about 1/3 of the way to Bermuda on the single handed leg from Newport. The second one is a little more embarrassing - I'm up the mast retrieving the spin halyard just after the start of the double-handed return leg in Bermuda. We'd lost it in some pre-start manoeuvring in St Georges harbour. There were two Hobie 33's in the race that year, though the other one lost it's mast on the return leg from Bermuda to Newport, but still ended up safely in New Jersey under a jury rig.

IMGP0159 (1).jpg

porfavor.jpg

• Like 1

The boat in the test crash video live on Long Island Sound. Was owned by a guy who used to post here named Eric. Eric was an engineer who worked with Hobie Alter to ensure the specs of the bot were up to snuff. 

IIRC Eric is now off sailing around the world. Something he truly deserves.

7 hours ago, BillDBastard said:

The boat in the test crash video live on Long Island Sound. Was owned by a guy who used to post here named Eric. Eric was an engineer who worked with Hobie Alter to ensure the specs of the bot were up to snuff. 

IIRC Eric is now off sailing around the world. Something he truly deserves.

obviously doing it the right way if we haven't heard from him !!

On 12/24/2017 at 1:42 AM, swangtang said:

Sounds intriguing, lets hear it

like that freaking engine contraption, i call it california engineering at its finest (and no, it wasn't really the engineering;s fault)

15 hours ago, kmcfast said:

Keith Lawrence won Whidbey Island Race Week with a all woman crew lots of upwind work...

...how big were those women?... The hobie has yet to wow me as an upwind boat, thats for sure... it's upwind performance is fitting for its cockpit ergonomics. God its fun downwind, though. 

1 hour ago, DRP said:

When I look at this, I'm certain that people in '82 were having way more fun than we are in the 20-teens.

1 hour ago, Ajax said:

When I look at this, I'm certain that people in '82 were having way more fun than we are in the 20-teens.

yeah.... but did you see that picture of twisted 3 strand for a mainsheet? :wacko:

There was a Hobie 33 that was optimised for the Caribbean Yachting Association rule, (some say the other way around since the owner was a lawyer and CYA measurer...) that cleaned up for years. SYNDICATE was its name, I'll see what I can dig up.

Here is a start

image.png.541da7385456f3fa90a00d1b73b33d9a.png

That was one fun event!