ALL@SEA

Launceston 2 Hobart 2017

No thread for this either. My usual ride isn't going this year, partly my fault as I can't get time off work. Probably a two boat race for L/H, but handicap wide open. Breeze will probably get up to its usual tricks in the Mercury Passage and Storm Bay, not to mention Derwent. Comfortable, if frustrating race at times.

I'm a little surprised that there are only 2 Vic entries. I thought a couple more would go down to take advantage of the need to only be cat 3.

Looking like a long night ahead. Credit to Team Whistler (Burns Dovell - sorry about the spelling, its late), she was always one of the best campaigned boats in the state, and despite her owner passing on, the crew have stuck together. She's currently leading AMS, IRC, L/H. Ahead on the water of Fork (Blakewell-White 45) and Tilt (Martine 49). Hpefully the breeze fills in tomo to give the fleet a quick frde down the coast... Good night.

Mako (Farr 1/2 t) looking good for honors in IRC, AMS, and PHS. Don't want to put the knocker on them with 16nm of Storm Bay and Derwent ahead of them, but they've sailed a pretty solid race. Good the see a few 1/2s still out there doing what they were built for. Good night.

I had a look at the boats from this fleet as they slowly tricked into Hobart and I was surprised to see how small most of the boats were. Young 88’s, MG30’s etc... it was great to see some affordable and everyday boats getting out for a run! 

Cheers 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Next Level said:

I had a look at the boats from this fleet as they slowly tricked into Hobart and I was surprised to see how small most of the boats were. Young 88’s, MG30’s etc... it was great to see some affordable and everyday boats getting out for a run! 

Cheers 

That is because the Tasmanians have done their thing years ago with safety and the like.

It is a Cat 3 race.

The aim is to include not exclude.

otherwise they would have no race at all.

7 minutes ago, lydia said:

That is because the Tasmanians have done their thing years ago with safety and the like.

It is a Cat 3 race.

The aim is to include not exclude.

otherwise they would have no race at all.

It’s great! I wish there were more of this way of thinking up here in NSW.

Its a great race for those that cant afford a Sydney to Hobart Race or boat isnt up too cat 1 safety, think you will see more numbers in the race for the future.

Over the last 12 months we have just had the fight in Qld, with the Yachting Arsehats.

One club has gone with inclusion and one club has told the owners to get fucked because they are special.

But what would the people who spend their own money to go sailing know! 

1 hour ago, bayboy said:

Its a great race for those that cant afford a Sydney to Hobart Race or boat isnt up too cat 1 safety, think you will see more numbers in the race for the future.

What is the biggest expense of entering the S2H or getting to cat 1 over cat 2 or 3? HF radio and ???? 

9 hours ago, hoppy said:

What is the biggest expense of entering the S2H or getting to cat 1 over cat 2 or 3? HF radio and ???? 

I was told cost an owner about 20k for a boat in the s2h race, half the fleet in the L2H would be on border line to get cat 2 probably need a life raft, but the race does allow ppl to sail into Hobart and enjoy the new years, whilst challenging themselves.

11 hours ago, hoppy said:

Proving stability

2 hours ago, bayboy said:

I was told cost an owner about 20k for a boat in the s2h race, half the fleet in the L2H would be on border line to get cat 2 probably need a life raft, but the race does allow ppl to sail into Hobart and enjoy the new years, whilst challenging themselves.

Whoever said $20k had not done it.

try at least 40k for a 40 footer to go from Cat 4 club racing to what CYCA requires.

DSS  ad to save the race just as QCYC had to do with Gladstone.

QCYC has wisely adopted a similar position to DSS.

Don't forget all the other 'minor' requirements for Hobart, which really add up.

2 x medical (Senior first aid)

1/2 crew must have done a previous Cat 1 or equivalent passage

2 x radio cert (HF)

SSC for 1/2 the crew

HF radio

Sat Phone

PFD's all serviced by authorised agent  (not self-service)

entry fee is at least $1200 (6 crew)

I'm glad I don't have a burning desire to race in the S2H as owner or even as crew.

I would not mind doing the M2D or M2H but if cat 2 is too much of a PITA, I'd be pretty happy to do a leisurely cruise across Bass Strait in early December and do the L2H 

22 minutes ago, duncan (the other one) said:

Don't forget all the other 'minor' requirements for Hobart, which really add up.

2 x medical (Senior first aid)

1/2 crew must have done a previous Cat 1 or equivalent passage

2 x radio cert (HF)

SSC for 1/2 the crew

HF radio

Sat Phone

PFD's all serviced by authorised agent  (not self-service)

entry fee is at least $1200 (6 crew)

At least I already have a sat phone from when I thought I was sailing to Aus from Greece and the missus is a nurse, so it will be easy for her to do the first aid training. Getting her to crew an ocean race will be the challenge...

On 1/5/2018 at 2:07 PM, hoppy said:

I'm glad I don't have a burning desire to race in the S2H as owner or even as crew.

I would not mind doing the M2D or M2H but if cat 2 is too much of a PITA, I'd be pretty happy to do a leisurely cruise across Bass Strait in early December and do the L2H 

At least I already have a sat phone from when I thought I was sailing to Aus from Greece and the missus is a nurse, so it will be easy for her to do the first aid training. Getting her to crew an ocean race will be the challenge...

If she's a nurse then she prob doesn't need to do the 1st aid training

37 minutes ago, Dark Cloud said:

If she's a nurse then she prob doesn't need to do the 1st aid training

Not registered in Aus..

The L2H was a fun race, and also frustrating - tricky with lots of bald spots on the course, corners, lots of breeze sometimes. Typical tassie it throws all sorts of shit at you.  Would recommend it hoppy

• Like 1