Pabs

Which Electronics package??

I need to replace my Electronics package (radio AIS&GPS/plotter/transducer?) on a budget so was looking at the Vulcan 7 due to its sailboat properties. Can someone give me an idea of what other plotters would be comparable cost and function wise as the Vulcan 7 appears to be the best Value and function.

Who knows...none of the gear lasts very long.  I have a two year old Vulcan and its screen is begining  to fail...a ghost pattern forming around perimeter. 

before that I had a Simrad....screen failed , delamination , after about 6 years. As far as I know Simrad and BG are the same 

the vulcan works ok. The menu and functions are easy to use.  Installation was easy ...all my exsisting sensors and inputs could be used.

the screen is very bright,  so visablity at a distance is good 

the vulcan software has a defect.  It will not automatically load the chart portfolio corresponding to your position ...you must manualy load.  Chart portfolios dont have a name , they have a seriel number..this can be confusing for new operators. 

For the vulcan I bought the optional mouse.  The vulcan mouse is clumsy to use...as a result its rarely used......i wouldnt purchase another

the  vulcan chart system C map is OK...not the best.

you might speak with an electronics pro....there might be a better choice in the Vulcan price range 

The new Garmin EchoMap Plus series claims to have sail functions (start/laylines etc) haven't had enough time to play with one to find them though, alternate to that the Garmin 52XS series are very nice looking units and I would assume would have the same features as the EchoMap series.

Beyond that once Raymarine introduce the sailing functions into the Lighthouse 3 software for the Axiom they're an excellent unit.

but dont get a raymarine thats is touchscreen nor one with a card slot in the front, if you do its good for about 2-3 years then too expensive to fix in the 3rd year and no parts in the 4th year

Other than good old B&G which units can calculate current once you connect compass and log to them?

5 hours ago, Sailabout said:

Other than good old B&G which units can calculate current once you connect compass and log to them?

Probably any that have a good speedo, compass and Gps sensors. 

5 hours ago, Sailabout said:

You can always interface a laptop to an N2K network or NMEA 0183 port using an Antisense converter and run a performance program like Expedition to do any of the corrections and calculations you want.  The nice thing about this is when the displays die due to environmental extremes (they all do eventually), almost any display will work.

ps - I installed a Vulcan 5 on a friends boat and it would not take speed corrections on a Raymarine paddlewheel interface via ITC5 (SeatalkNG which is  NMEA 2000)- the T41 Triton displays did just fine in the same N2K network.  I reported this to B&G and they acknowledged the limitation on the Vulcan.

34 minutes ago, WHK said:

You can always interface a laptop to an N2K network or NMEA 0183 port using an Antisense converter and run a performance program like Expedition to do any of the corrections and calculations you want.  The nice thing about this is when the displays die due to environmental extremes (they all do eventually), almost any display will work.

ps - I installed a Vulcan 5 on a friends boat and it would not take speed corrections on a Raymarine paddlewheel interface via ITC5 (SeatalkNG which is  NMEA 2000)- the T41 Triton displays did just fine in the same N2K network.  I reported this to B&G and they acknowledged the limitation on the Vulcan.

i have also not figured out how to take a " screen snaphot " with the vulcan 

is it possible  ?

7 hours ago, slug zitski said:

i have also not figured out how to take a " screen snaphot " with the vulcan 

is it possible  ?

This from page 23 of the Vulcan operators manual:

Screen capture
You need to turn on the Screen capture option in the System Settings dialog to be able to take a screenshot on a touch screen. When the function is activated, you can take a screenshot on a touch screen by double-selecting the title bar of an open dialog, or by double-selecting the status bar if no dialog is open. 

To view files, refer to "Files" on page 180.

Ok...but I seem to have no option in my System settings menu ?   Must remember to ask the BG guys next time they  are onboard 

Now, with Wi-Fi.  Dump to a tablet running (pick a nav package)

I know you said budget, but after you get done with the constant replacement cycle on integrated solutions that are always a cycle behind on technology and a compromise in functionality , this is going to be a cheaper and better solution.  Tablet and chart package to suit your budget.