hoppy

Sydney to Hobart 2018 - supermaxi world championship

Will the 2018 S2H be the ultimate Super Maxi race? The world championship of supermaxi's...

The 4.5 Aussie supermaxis must race in 2018 

• Surely will WOIX back to make amends for 2 DNF's and losing the 2017 line honours and the race record due to the 1 hr penalty.
  • Commanche should certainly race otherwise Cooney wasted his money
  • Infotrack & Blackjack, both also newly purchased should hopefully race again.
  • CQS will be back an unless they have given up on their failed experiment might come along for a laugh 

Scallywags crew will not be occupied with VOR and as it is based nearby, perhaps it should race.

Assuming this lineup happens, perhaps Rambler 88 will return to try and throw a cat amongst the pigeons.  

Langmen, Kwok & Hull have 9 hulls is that enough for a division?

5 hours ago, hoppy said:

Scallywags crew will not be occupied with VOR and as it is based nearby, perhaps it should race.

wtf,,, they could have 'easily' been there.  A short flight from Melbourne.   Pussies.   <_<

43 minutes ago, couchsurfer said:

wtf,,, they could have 'easily' been there.  A short flight from Melbourne.   Pussies.   <_<

No chance, they didn’t sail their V65 fast enough to make the last flight to get to Sydney in time for the start. Now if they charted it to Mapfre, then it would have been possible.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, hoppy said:

Their maxi is "almost ready to leave for Hong Kong after her make over", they said on FB december 21st. Not sure where it actually is but probably Subic bay. Some of the workers were flewn in to Cape Town for a visit during the stopover. Nice gesture. But some of their crew is in fact occupied with the VOR so S2H was never an option this year. 

10 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

Their maxi is "almost ready to leave for Hong Kong after her make over", they said on FB december 21st. Not sure where it actually is but probably Subic bay. Some of the workers were flewn in to Cape Town for a visit during the stopover. Nice gesture. But some of their crew is in fact occupied with the VOR so S2H was never an option this year. 

This thread is for S2H 2018 and they won't be with VOR by then... :) 

16 minutes ago, hoppy said:

This thread is for S2H 2018 and they won't be with VOR by then... :) 

Aha! Of course - my bad :) in that case, the race will be their top priority, don't worry :D 

8 hours ago, HMM263 said:

Someone pony up and buy Leopard.

...I'm in for $37    Anyone else?  :rolleyes:

10 hours ago, HMM263 said:

Someone pony up and buy Leopard.

Why not just charter it for the race.. :)

Nope, it’s a mostly coastal race, between two Australian ports  ~600 miles apart. Other than weather extremes it’s a quick sprint to an overnight drag race followed by a driving finish   

Hardly worth shipping a boat out for. 

Do something more geographically interesting like combining Fastnet, Transpac, Bermuda, Middle Sea, & Caribbean 600 and you might have a claim on world championship.

To make it more interesting, make it go around Tasmanian and finish in Auckland or Melbourne. 

15 minutes ago, LionessRacing said:

snip

To make it more interesting, make it go around Tasmanian and finish in Auckland or Melbourne. 

Tasmania West Coast ... now that would define interesting :blink:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mid said:

That has the potential to be absolutely brutal,  is there, or has there been a race around Tasmania? 

I can’t see one from a quick search on google, it would definitely sort out which are the best all round offshore boats argument. 

K rist even the Volvo boys n girls leave it alone

1 hour ago, LionessRacing said:

Nope, it’s a mostly coastal race, between two Australian ports  ~600 miles apart. Other than weather extremes it’s a quick sprint to an overnight drag race followed by a driving finish   

Do something more geographically interesting like combining Fastnet, Transpac, Bermuda, Middle Sea, & Caribbean 600 and you might have a claim on world championship.

I am guessing that you haven't seen much 'Tasmania' for a while...

52 minutes ago, LionessRacing said:

Holding the championship at those locations would be a bit silly when it will pretty much be just Aussie maxi's fighting it out.

48 minutes ago, Mid said:

Melbourne to Hobart westcoaster...

I do wonder why there is no trans-tasman race other than the solo race? (that I'm aware of).

I think it could be good to have a race between Aussieland and Kiwiland, perhaps with the race direction alternating each year. 

• Like 1

A year round circuit could be done, but would need the owners to get a little more serious about marketing the races and their boats. 6 races with Sydney to Hobart the Grand final and worth double points, just need a wedge of cash and bit of interest.

Sydney to Auckland alternating every second year, time it in such a way that the Australian yachts had the opportunity to the Coastal Classic, and the New Zealand yachts could do the Hobart maybe.

1 hour ago, mad said:

it would definitely sort out which are the best all round offshore boats argument. 

I think 9 Line honers victories in all kinds of conditions have that argument already sorted. Even beat the worlds best downhill one trick pony in a downhill race. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

I think 9 Line honers victories in all kinds of conditions have that argument already sorted. Even beat the worlds best downhill one trick pony in a downhill race. 

I’m referring to a race potentially around Hobart.  I couldn’t give 2 fucks about WOXI, never have, never will do. 

2 hours ago, HMM263 said:

Sydney to Auckland alternating every second year, time it in such a way that the Australian yachts had the opportunity to the Coastal Classic, and the New Zealand yachts could do the Hobart maybe.

S2A could be held early October to feed the CC and the A2S in November to feed S2H. Add a team competition in the A2S year (boats only have to do one return trip across the Tasman to sail in all 3 races) for some good Aussie/Kiwi competition between National, state and maybe club teams.  

2 hours ago, bayboy said:

A year round circuit could be done, but would need the owners to get a little more serious about marketing the races and their boats. 6 races with Sydney to Hobart the Grand final and worth double points, just need a wedge of cash and bit of interest.

I used to think that, but with most of the maxis based in the Aussie east coast, there would probably be poor attendance for Atlantic side events.

Considering these are the members of the maxi association:

ALFA ROMEO 3
ALEXIA 
ATALANTA II
BELLA MENTE 
BRONENOSEC
CAOL ILA R
CHARIS 
CHRISCO 
CONTAINER 
DSK PIONEER INVESTMENTS 
EDIMETRA VI
EMMA 
GALMA
GENIE 
GREY GOOSE 
HETAIROS 
H20 
HANUMAN
INDIO 
JETHOU 
J ONE 
KAURIS III 
KENORA 
KIWI MAGIC 
LIONHEART
LORINA 1895
LUNZ AM MEER
MAGIC CARPET 3 
MARIQUITA 
MASCALZONE LATINO 
MAYA 
MELITI
MOMO
MY SONG
NAHITA
NILAYA 
NUMBERS
OPEN SEASON 
PH3 
PROTEUS
RAMBLER 88
RANGER
ROBERTISSIMA 
SAUDADE 
SOJANA
SOLLEONE
STARK RAVING MAD VII 
SUPERNIKKA
SVEA
TOPAZ
UNFURLED 
VELSHEDA
VIRIELLA 
WALLYNO
WILD JOE 
WILD OATS XI 
WINDFALL
Y3K
YORU

there would likely be more attendees in the Atlantic.

There are already 9 events set for 2018 in the Med

but it seems to be more about Sydney homeboys trying to setup a local event. If the Sydney boats are really that good, it be easy enough to ship,them over for the northern summer. Not like they do much in Oz  that time of year  

But if you want to stage a showcase for Sydney boats, that’s another story. 

3 hours ago, LB 15 said:

I am guessing that you haven't seen much 'Tasmania' for a while...

Haven’t yet seen any of Oz.

It’s on the list after I visit a few other places first. 

5 hours ago, LionessRacing said:

Considering these are the members of the maxi association:

ALFA ROMEO 3
ALEXIA 
ATALANTA II
BELLA MENTE 
BRONENOSEC
CAOL ILA R
CHARIS 
CHRISCO 
CONTAINER 
DSK PIONEER INVESTMENTS 
EDIMETRA VI
EMMA 
GALMA
GENIE 
GREY GOOSE 
HETAIROS 
H20 
HANUMAN
INDIO 
JETHOU 
J ONE 
KAURIS III 
KENORA 
KIWI MAGIC 
LIONHEART
LORINA 1895
LUNZ AM MEER
MAGIC CARPET 3 
MARIQUITA 
MASCALZONE LATINO 
MAYA 
MELITI
MOMO
MY SONG
NAHITA
NILAYA 
NUMBERS
OPEN SEASON 
PH3 
PROTEUS
RAMBLER 88
RANGER
ROBERTISSIMA 
SAUDADE 
SOJANA
SOLLEONE
STARK RAVING MAD VII 
SUPERNIKKA
SVEA
TOPAZ
UNFURLED 
VELSHEDA
VIRIELLA 
WALLYNO
WILD JOE 
WILD OATS XI 
WINDFALL
Y3K
YORU

there would likely be more attendees in the Atlantic.

There are already 9 events set for 2018 in the Med

but it seems to be more about Sydney homeboys trying to setup a local event. If the Sydney boats are really that good, it be easy enough to ship,them over for the northern summer. Not like they do much in Oz  that time of year  

But if you want to stage a showcase for Sydney boats, that’s another story. 

Almost no supermaxi's in that list...

90' & up

WILD THING

La Beta - ex Alfa I ex Rambler 90

Med Spirit - ex bols 90 

Ragamuffin 90 - ex Genuine Risk

CQS - ex Nicorette

Rio 100 - ex Zana Lahana 

Leopard II 

Leopard III

Hyundai 100 

Wild Oats XI

Black Jack 100 - ex Alfa II ex Esmit

Scallywag - ex maximus, loyal, rags

Infotrack - Speedboatvirginmomeyrambler100perperpetualloyal 

Comanche 

Is that it? 

The guys who can afford a 100 footer would rather buy a Wally or a Swan. Therein lieth the lesson.

Perhaps sailors who don’t have Australian wives don’t need to build or buy  “Super” maxis. 

Or is it that the owners in Sydney only get one or two nights a year, and thus the obsession with size. 

Seems the other rich dudes have opted for elegance (J class) or more convivial and frequent events. 

• Downvote 1

I definitely loved last Sydney to Hobart... I think that from the start to the drag race till the final match it was really a fantastic race or maybe is better to say a race from another time...

Unfortunately for these wonderful 100 feet Supermaxis this is the swan song race...
I think that who has the money to invest today will go for other options:
- Badass ultime tri’s for cutting edge Ocean racing
- while for monohull lover you can go for a Mini maxi 72 (nice category with 5-6 boats) or better for racer-cruiser super yacht... considering that race like middle sea race, fastnet, Caribbean 600, maxi yacht race admit boat over 100 feet why limit your ego?
Wally, Baltic (130 feet My Song was already ahead of Rambler 88 and Leopard several times), Swan 115 or the upcoming Clubswan 125 monster from JK are prefect choice... cruise in Sardinia or Caribbean during the week and then big regatta in the weekend.

10 hours ago, SCANAS said:

90' & up

WILD THING

La Beta - ex Alfa I ex Rambler 90

Med Spirit - ex bols 90 

Ragamuffin 90 - ex Genuine Risk

CQS - ex Nicorette

Rio 100 - ex Zana Lahana 

Leopard II 

Leopard III

Hyundai 100 

Wild Oats XI

Black Jack 100 - ex Alfa II ex Esmit

Scallywag - ex maximus, loyal, rags

Infotrack - Speedboatvirginmomeyrambler100perperpetualloyal 

Comanche 

Is that it? 

Might as well include Rambler 88..

4 hours ago, The Weatherman said:

I definitely loved last Sydney to Hobart... I think that from the start to the drag race till the final match it was really a fantastic race or maybe is better to say a race from another time...

Unfortunately for these wonderful 100 feet Supermaxis this is the swan song race...
- while for monohull lover you can go for a Mini maxi 72 (nice category with 5-6 boats) or better for racer-cruiser super yacht... considering that race like middle sea race, fastnet, Caribbean 600, maxi yacht race admit boat over 100 feet why limit your ego?
Wally, Baltic (130 feet My Song was already ahead of Rambler 88 and Leopard several times), Swan 115 or the upcoming Clubswan 125 monster from JK are prefect choice... cruise in Sardinia or Caribbean during the week and then big regatta in the weekend.

I doubt many of the current gen Maxi 72's could do a hobart without significant structural changes. It's rare that you get back to back years of fairly benign conditions. 

Maxi72 compete in fastnet, middle sea race and Newport to Bermuda among other blue water race... Till now I think they are not in just for geographic reasons 

23 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Against who LB.... I take nothing away from the WO program but they now have some competition.... Comanche is now 2 from 2 and BJ has showed potential... the reasons don't matter at the end of the day...

2 minutes ago, PIL007 said:

Against who LB.... I take nothing away from the WO program but they now have some competition.... Comanche is now 2 from 2 and BJ has showed potential... the reasons don't matter at the end of the day...

On the water Comanche is 1 from 3 but yes the other 100's do make for great racing...and even better threads. 

8 hours ago, The Weatherman said:

WOIX won most of the line honours when there was little competition really.  All they had to do was get the biggest boat, install an engine and full hydraulics to control the sails and keel and point it south.  How hard can it be?

7 minutes ago, The Weatherman said:

Maxi72 compete in fastnet, middle sea race and Newport to Bermuda among other blue water race... Till now I think they are not in just for geographic reasons 

Belle Mente did not start the 16 N2B due to concerns about the weather. They have previously had major hull damage on that boat during the C600 in 2016.

Several rig failures in the last few years. 

Reality is that they are primarily being built for med racing and the middle sea race, not going uphill in a 35 knot southerly front and steep waves. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, PIL007 said:

We'll have to see if Oats come back full strength with the 100' Bell, Syd, Wharro, Slade & Croaky put up the best competition in the world at the time.

Comanche is a big threat & but it still has all its Achilles heals. 

BJ are a crack team, give them a couple of hours of their weather & they could easily take it out. 

Scally is lighter with more SA than Oats, plenty to see there still I reckon. Owner with deeper pockets & hopefully VOR will teach them some good routing. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, random said:

WOIX won most of the line honours when there was little competition really.  All they had to do was get the biggest boat, install an engine and full hydraulics to control the sails and keel and point it south.  How hard can it be?

Yep that about what i thought you knew about offshore racing. Have you considered taking up golf? 

45 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Comanche is a big threat & but it still has all its Achilles heals. 

Yer but Oats has got Richo.;)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, savoir said:

The guys who can afford a 100 footer would rather buy a Wally or a Swan. Therein lieth the lesson.

There's also significant crossover between Wally100 and Mclaren F1 ownership. Both are very social circles as well.

12 minutes ago, HMM263 said:

There's also significant crossover between Wally100 and Mclaren F1 ownership. Both are very social circles as well.

Eddie Jordan and Nigel Mansell used to and maybe still do own big Sunseeker powerboats. 

So at least the tastes in boats have improved since then. :P

2 hours ago, The Weatherman said:

Except when it's really windy lately. 

16 hours ago, savoir said:

Depends on how much they are in to racing and what racing they like. Aussie mega rich who are into racing will focus on S2H and therefore will want a supermaxi. Anyway if you are mega rich, you buy a stripped out racer for fun and cock measuring and also have a gin palace to keep your sugarbaby happy. Just like Clarke did in owning a maxi and a J.

2 hours ago, random said:

All they had to do was get the biggest boat, install an engine and full hydraulics to control the sails and keel and point it south.  How hard can it be?

If you were a real purest you would be also complaining the mechanical advantage that modern grinder winches give and be harking back to the good old days. 

1 hour ago, overlay said:

Yer but Oats has got Richo.;)

But for how much longer? ;)

2 hours ago, hoppy said:

Depends on how much they are in to racing and what racing they like. Aussie mega rich who are into racing will focus on S2H and therefore will want a supermaxi. Anyway if you are mega rich, you buy a stripped out racer for fun and cock measuring and also have a gin palace to keep your sugarbaby happy. Just like Clarke did in owning a maxi and a J.

Boats in the 100 ft - 150 ft size bracket get plenty of racing. More than Comanche.

A Swan or Wally 100 could pick between 4 Med regattas and 9 Caribbean regattas every year.

9 minutes ago, savoir said:

Boats in the 100 ft - 150 ft size bracket get plenty of racing. More than Comanche.

But not in Aus.

4 hours ago, hoppy said:

If you were a real purest you would be also complaining the mechanical advantage that modern grinder winches give and be harking back to the good old days. 

That's the spirit! in fact throw out all this newfangled stuff like fiber line & wire rope, winches & hulls & such, should be a log, 2 sticks & an animal hide, that's the way.

1 hour ago, savoir said:

A Swan or Wally 100 could pick between 4 Med regattas and 9 Caribbean regattas every year.

Yes but even the wealthy need to go to work sometimes. The self made ones anyway. 

If they were to have a true supremaxi world title it should use the existing 'grand slam events' the Hobart, Fasnet, middle sea and Bermuda races for instance. But only probobly one boat would show up and it would just become a participation trophy. 

Anyway, who gives s fuck about some rich white cunts getting more trophys?

So when does a foiler like Hugo Boss become a multihull and ineligible to race Hobart.

Hull is clear of water  at times supported by two appendages

For reference, the moth class banned a foiling moth years ago as it was "a bi-foiler" in that it had windward and leeward appendage.

18 minutes ago, lydia said:

Hull is clear of water  at times supported by two appendages

Doug will be dropping by shortly to talk to you about that.

3 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Yes but even the wealthy need to go to work sometimes. The self made ones anyway. 

If they were to have a true supremaxi world title it should use the existing 'grand slam events' the Hobart, Fasnet, middle sea and Bermuda races for instance. But only probobly one boat would show up and it would just become a participation trophy. 

Anyway, who gives s fuck about some rich white cunts getting more trophys?

The Swan and Wally guys already have their own world title. Given that none of them want to race to Hobart or Bermuda it seems fair to say that they are happy with the setup.

The 2017 superyacht regatta at Porto Cervo attracted a fleet of 17. None were j class.

The big boys are making it clear that the Comanche style of vessel is not what they want.

On 12/31/2017 at 5:59 PM, jack_sparrow said:

Why fuck around... dont forget to wipe up the drool when you have finished watching.

Same owner as Samurai isn't it? Great taste in yachts!

On 12/31/2017 at 5:59 PM, jack_sparrow said:

Why fuck around... dont forget to wipe up the drool when you have finished watching.

Same owner as Samurai isn't it? Great taste in yachts!

The S2H was never meant to be about super maxis and the insanely rich. That the modern perception and media interest in it has become so is very much to its detriment. IMHO the S2H would become a better race if the LOA was limited to 80 feet. 
It is insane that in some conversations the metric of a successful S2H is how many super-maxis compete. The best answer would be zero. Get the interest back to the boats that are the backbone of the race and don't simply involve an open chequebook and FIFO professionals.

^^^ Samurai is the ex Mari-Cha IV that went a major keep hull only makeover by Huisman's only couple of years ago so I doubt the same owner to start one before the other is finished.

Couple of things,

Perth to Hobart could be fun. 

The French Trimarans’s could do S2H by afternoon tea. 

Francis Vaughan;

agree 100% If your going to keep the race true to its origins I think that in itself would make it unique and a success. 

And no diesel. 

58 minutes ago, Francis Vaughan said:

The S2H was never meant to be about super maxis and the insanely rich. That the modern perception and media interest in it has become so is very much to its detriment. IMHO the S2H would become a better race if the LOA was limited to 80 feet. 
It is insane that in some conversations the metric of a successful S2H is how many super-maxis compete. The best answer would be zero. Get the interest back to the boats that are the backbone of the race and don't simply involve an open chequebook and FIFO professionals.

Dropping it to 80 will just change the size of the boats channel 7 will follow, 80 footers and nothing else. They'll still be the big money teams and only raced by the super rich. Perhaps there will be slightly more 80 footers than there will be 100's and nothing will change for the "backbone".

On 31/12/2017 at 2:20 PM, mad said:

Eddie Jordan and Nigel Mansell used to and maybe still do own big Sunseeker powerboats. 

So at least the tastes in boats have improved since then. :P

I believe Eddie Jordan has sold the sunseeker but still has his Oyster 885.

8 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Dropping it to 80 will just change the size of the boats channel 7 will follow, 80 footers and nothing else. They'll still be the big money teams and only raced by the super rich. Perhaps there will be slightly more 80 footers than there will be 100's and nothing will change for the "backbone".

Sadly there is more than a bit of truth in this, but it would be a start. Perhaps if 7 ceased sponsoring a boat things might improve as well. Getting buy in from a TV station as race sponsor would be a much better answer. Lots of barriers to that however, and significant downsides as well.

On 31/12/2017 at 5:59 PM, jack_sparrow said:

Even more impressive in real life! Stunning vessel!

On 12/30/2017 at 2:10 PM, LionessRacing said:

Haven’t yet seen any of Oz.

It’s on the list after I visit a few other places first. 

When you do make it down under, a readily available map of Tasmania is a good thing to have.

1 hour ago, Last Post said:

When you do make it down under, a readily available map of Tasmania is a good thing to have.

But these day they are hard to find, other than digitally from specialist sites online.

3 hours ago, Twocan said:

I believe Eddie Jordan has sold the sunseeker but still has his Oyster 885.

Let’s hope the keels ok. :ph34r:

12 hours ago, Last Post said:

11 hours ago, hoppy said:

But these day they are hard to find, other than digitally from specialist sites online.

Pissing myself laughing...someone tell Hoppy I can't type.

• Like 2

Wore my Tasmania "The natural State" complete with map through US customs in Miami a few years back. Wife was convinced I would be arrested or at least strip searched but they loved it.

IMGP2238.JPG

• Like 4

On 30/12/2017 at 9:43 AM, mad said:

That has the potential to be absolutely brutal,  is there, or has there been a race around Tasmania? 

I can’t see one from a quick search on google, it would definitely sort out which are the best all round offshore boats argument. 

There was a “Great Circle” race start & finish in Melbourne back in the late 70’s or early 80’s IIRC may have had only one or two editions. 

On 12/31/2017 at 12:43 PM, Sailbydate said:

But for how much longer? ;)

Richo is practically family - I wouldn't be surprised if Bob left him the boat in his Will

On 1/1/2018 at 4:11 PM, Francis Vaughan said:

Then it would just become a measure of how many 80 footers compete. Back to its origins? What 35 foot timber cruising boats with wooden dinghy's on the foredeck crewed by chaps in woolen jumpers and captains caps and taking 8 days to do the race? Yes that would capture the public's imagination. The TV coverage of the boats leaving the harbor would go all day and be watched by an audience of about 7 - but only during the lunch break of the boxing day test. Maybe Bathurst should return to being held in Cooper S's and lotus Cortina's as well?

TV audiences have never been greater, the number of entries is holding around 100 and the spectator fleet has never been bigger and around 1/2  million people watched from the shore. Why the fuck would you change anything? You may think a few Corinthian entries sluging it out at 7 knots is more interesting than watching the worlds fastest 100 footers crossing tacks (well almost) but you are in a group of one. Do you think people only do this race so they can see themselves on TV?

Rather why I didn't say back to its "origins." I guess it is a matter of opinion what one regards as the backbone of the fleet, but I would say that the backbone is those that take it seriously as a race, and are yes, Corinthian. Personally I like to see boats like the various TP-52s slugging it out, and boats of that general ilk. I dislike the fly-in professionals.

Losing the the first 4 boats out of he fleet would not make much difference to the TV spectacle, nor the spectacle of the fleet in general heading down the harbour. 

No doubt I am in a smaller group, but I remain peeved that the entire media circus focus is on LH. The boats smaller than 100 feet may as well not bother entering as far as Channel 7 is concerned, and it doesn't get much better from the rest of the media. It wasn't always so. There was a time when intelligent, informed, commentary about boats down the fleet could be found. 

Ask the average punter which boat won and they will tell you the LH winner. 

It would be interesting to know the opinion about the telecast from the people who's only connection or interest in sailing is watching the S2H start. Would they dislike it if more focus was put on the small boats? I suspect not...

Perhaps this year there was more focus on the maxi 100's once they left the harbour because of Richo's brain fade.

Perhaps 7 should get their Bathurst producer to do the S2H as they do seem to put more effort at showing the non-leading cars if there is no close tussle.

Take out the Clipper fleet & internationals you are left with 81 Aussie boats. 

Ask the next 10 ppl you meet (that aren't your sailing buddies) about the race, I doubt 9/10 could name the winner of this years race or have any interest in sailing. 

6 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Maybe Bathurst should return to being held in Cooper S's and lotus Cortina's as well?

I missed them Lotus Cortinas LB..you haven't been drinking too many Lotus Coronas have you??

Yeah, bring back the good old days on the mountain 

Mark-1966-Barthurst.jpg

minis-at-bathurst-1966-L-wpRvYg.jpeg

aust651L.jpg

11 hours ago, Francis Vaughan said:

Rather why I didn't say back to its "origins." I guess it is a matter of opinion what one regards as the backbone of the fleet, but I would say that the backbone is those that take it seriously as a race, and are yes, Corinthian. Personally I like to see boats like the various TP-52s slugging it out, and boats of that general ilk. I dislike the fly-in professionals.

Losing the the first 4 boats out of he fleet would not make much difference to the TV spectacle, nor the spectacle of the fleet in general heading down the harbour. 

No doubt I am in a smaller group, but I remain peeved that the entire media circus focus is on LH. The boats smaller than 100 feet may as well not bother entering as far as Channel 7 is concerned, and it doesn't get much better from the rest of the media. It wasn't always so. There was a time when intelligent, informed, commentary about boats down the fleet could be found. 

Ask the average punter which boat won and they will tell you the LH winner. 

I agree with you about the lack of footage of the rest of the fleet- I haven't watched the start on TV for years until this year and whilst I enjoy watching the big boats there really was fuck all else.

10 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Take out the Clipper fleet & internationals you are left with 81 Aussie boats. 

Ask the next 10 ppl you meet (that aren't your sailing buddies) about the race, I doubt 9/10 could name the winner of this years race or have any interest in sailing. 

Ask 10 people who don't watch cricket who won the BBL last year and you would get the same result. And the BBL gets 1000x more press than the S2H. Come to think of it I have no idea who won the BBL last year either and I watched every delivery of the Ashes series...

• Like 1

We all complain about Channel 7 focusing on the maxis and ignoring the rest of the fleet but it's not like the S2H thread was much better. How many pages were about the maxis and how many posts discussed the other boats?

Even among sailors 90% of the interest is in line honours.

40 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Ask 10 people who don't watch cricket who won the BBL last year and you would get the same result. And the BBL gets 1000x more press than the S2H. Come to think of it I have no idea who won the BBL last year either and I watched every delivery of the Ashes series...

BBL is hardly the Ashes mate. No one cares about sailing except for sailors. The bridesmaid of Boxing Day gets 2 hours because it's non rating period Channel 7 care about as much as they do replaying hogans heros. 

8 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

I missed them Lotus Cortinas LB..you haven't been drinking too many Lotus Coronas have you??

Me too Jack I am not that old. The only reason I new about them was my Grandfather raced one in the early 60's. They were king of the hill for a few years.