• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
hoppy

Sydney to Hobart 2018 - supermaxi world championship

On 31/12/2017 at 4:25 PM, LB 15 said:

Yes but even the wealthy need to go to work sometimes. The self made ones anyway. 

If they were to have a true supremaxi world title it should use the existing 'grand slam events' the Hobart, Fasnet, middle sea and Bermuda races for instance. But only probobly one boat would show up and it would just become a participation trophy. 

Anyway, who gives s fuck about some rich white cunts getting more trophys?

LB,

How could we have all missed this one ?

You are so right it’s not about LH trophy’s  and rich cunts getting trophy’s. 

Its about sailng and having fun fun and winning the B2K div 2 3ed place PHS trophy we all need to work at. One day if  I’m skilled and your not Sailing I may have the chance of winning the ultimate prize in Yachting just so I can have a peace of the holy grail of Yachting. 

Its a good thing dreams are free 

Pulpit 

2 hours ago, pulpit said:

LB,

How could we have all missed this one ?

You are so right it’s not about LH trophy’s  and rich cunts getting trophy’s. 

Its about sailng and having fun fun and winning the B2K div 2 3ed place PHS trophy we all need to work at. One day if  I’m skilled and your not Sailing I may have the chance of winning the ultimate prize in Yachting just so I can have a peace of the holy grail of Yachting. 

Its a good thing dreams are free 

Pulpit 

Continue your Quest Grasshopper. The grail awaits.

21 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Cricket needs to take a leaf out of the Beach Soccer book.

Mmmmm, Beach Soccer you say? I need to get out more.........

I was looking at the 50th S2H fleet and there were over 300 boats racing and then the 60th and 70th editions only had around 100.  What were the changes to the safety and other rules that are the biggest reasons for drop in fleet numbers?

3 minutes ago, hoppy said:

I was looking at the 50th S2H fleet and there were over 300 boats racing and then the 60th and 70th editions only had around 100.  What were the changes to the safety and other rules that are the biggest reasons for drop in fleet numbers?

Ill take a punt on Measured Stability, insurance & construction standards costs going up after 1998. I reckon a lot of those IMS era boats would have been ineligible under the changes. 

i just think less people are sailing..... We are seeing it across the board in dinghy sailing.. clubs are struggling and eventually it filters up to big boats. 

8 minutes ago, PIL007 said:

i just think less people are sailing..... We are seeing it across the board in dinghy sailing.. clubs are struggling and eventually it filters up to big boats. 

so a general SA fuckup not supporting the sport/hobby at ground level and only supporting the elite racing?

1 minute ago, hoppy said:

so a general SA fuckup not supporting the sport/hobby at ground level and only supporting the elite racing?

Do you mean YA...?

Just now, PIL007 said:

Do you mean YA...?

I thought it was sailing australia.... Just shows how useless they are at promoting yachting, even boat owners don't know their name :)

In Melbourne it's pretty clear the health of yachting is poor as the bay is pretty vacant of yachts when there are no club races. Whilst the white sail twilights get good numbers at my club, the spinnaker races struggle a bit, usually because boats lack the crew. One S80 soloed the last twilight.

The lack of any sailing presence in the Melbourne boat show is very distressing

13 minutes ago, hoppy said:

I thought it was sailing australia.... Just shows how useless they are at promoting yachting, even boat owners don't know their name :)

Come down to Sandy tomorrow Hoppy - enter the SYC regatta under PHS.  And have a quiet word to Matt Allen - he'll be there.

Matt Allen

16 minutes ago, hoppy said:

In Melbourne it's pretty clear the health of yachting is poor as the bay is pretty vacant of yachts when there are no club races. Whilst the white sail twilights get good numbers at my club, the spinnaker races struggle a bit, usually because boats lack the crew. One S80 soloed the last twilight.

The lack of any sailing presence in the Melbourne boat show is very distressing

5 minutes ago, Dark Cloud said:

Come down to Sandy tomorrow Hoppy - enter the SYC regatta under PHS.  And have a quiet word to Matt Allen - he'll be there.

Matt Allen

I think it should be more up to us at club level. At my local (Cronulla) we have the money and have bought boats (Bics) and have intro days and Sunday come and try but we still struggle and now we are down in all divisions.

We compete with the local surf clubs for numbers but they do such a good job that we just can't compete. Parents drop their kids off early and sun bake / socialize while the club baby sits them. By lunch they are done and have the day off were sailing is way more expensive and time consuming...

I don't have the answers and will gladly take advise from all in an attempt to get back to the glory days.

Matt Allen is a great guy and will listen... I was going to approach him myself soon to discuss it...

29 minutes ago, PIL007 said:

I think it should be more up to us at club level. At my local (Cronulla) we have the money and have bought boats (Bics) and have intro days and Sunday come and try but we still struggle and now we are down in all divisions.

We compete with the local surf clubs for numbers but they do such a good job that we just can't compete. Parents drop their kids off early and sun bake / socialize while the club baby sits them. By lunch they are done and have the day off were sailing is way more expensive and time consuming...

I don't have the answers and will gladly take advise from all in an attempt to get back to the glory days.

Matt Allen is a great guy and will listen... I was going to approach him myself soon to discuss it...

In Melbourne, all the clubs have an introduction to sailing day which is a great idea, but it's not so widely publicised.

In Melbourne I'd like to see an on the water boat show in Docklands driven by the clubs and sailing school with the focus of showing that sailing is not solely a rich mans elitist sport. I'm sure lots of people assume you have to be rich to own a sail boat or have to be friends of a rich guy to crew on a yacht. So i'd like to see a good assortment of boats from the clubs on show from S80's and Adam 10's up to the clubs finest. The local brokers can bring some of their boats, especially entry level used boats and maybe a display of some trailer sailers. All clubs can push crewing , promoting the introduction to sailing day which should happen after the show.

The key aspect should be the big push of the sailing schools to children with lots of sailing out on the water. This side of it should pushed heavily to YA and the state government as a way to finance the show. 

I had an idea at my local dinghy club to run a twilight race. Gave them some sponsorship money and loosely organised an informal pilot race. About a dozen boats showed up and everyone had a great time. I went around everyone and got ideas to make it better, pizza, beer afterwards etc. everyone had a great time without losing a valuable family weekend day. 

The club officials chose not to carry it on. Weekend racing is what we do here.