Bimmer

2017/18 Australian A Class Championships

Many people will be interested what the top guns will show. Hopefully we can collect information about gear and racing from someone on the spot

IMG_2148.PNG

Sonofagun was in the thick of it. He should be able to provide a first hand  report from a position just behind the top guns. 

Dougy the Gun was out on the course in a tinny and could give a great report if only he could remember his password for the website. 

X2 broken masts beatie and jonno, and several sore sailors  gusts awere 20

Nathan capsized in lead  brewin n ashby stopped after 2 laps saw dave nzl going for third lap and gave chase  brewin got by

Top 7 foil uphill and clear out

Coming to HB worlds?  Bring your paper copy of IACA measurement certs. One each for sail mast and platform   

DONT expect your measurer to issue certs at the last minute. No measurement to issue certs at the venue.  

NO certs No registration

5 hours ago, Sonofabitch said:

Shifty shitty wind  one race three laps. Ashby lapped upto third place  Brewin second today a bit back

Three down 

So Glenn Ashby sailed 3 laps faster than all but one sailor sailed 2 laps?

As an amateur sailor, I'm wondering, how is it possible to be that superior, to sail 50% faster than the other sailors in the same conditions?

Great to see Scott Anderson 10th and Chris Cairns 14th both without foils. Both champion cat sailors since the 1970s. 

10 hours ago, Bob Curry said:

So what sail is the classic fleet using?  DS or big head??  Classic sailors around the world would like to know!

Some DS some BH. Scotty is using DS and so far clearly faster. But that's mostly him. We're only 3 races done and too early to call.

10 hours ago, monochrome said:

As an amateur sailor, I'm wondering, how is it possible to be that superior, to sail 50% faster than the other sailors in the same conditions?

Not sure that statement is entirely correct (confusing use of English). I think Brewin wasn't too far behind Ashby, certainly not a lap behind. Keep in mind the back of the fleet aren't foiling and from the sounds of it the front of the fleet are now foiling upwind in bigger breeze conditions. Overall yes, that could translate into a 50% speed delta, 26-28kts downwind vs. 18-20 for the trapezing floaters, and speeds in the high teens upwind foiling vs. low teens in low riding mode at the same angle. Keep in mind these are all pro sailors (except Brewin, who is just an excellent sailor and current world champ).

Can't wait to see some more video footage!!

18 hours ago, monochrome said:

Glenn was more than 50% faster most of that race. He couuld foil 80% of the race when most floated 100%. Stevie marinally less on foils. Awexsome to watch

8 hours ago, samc99us said:

Not sure that statement is entirely correct (confusing use of English). I think Brewin wasn't too far behind Ashby, certainly not a lap behind. Keep in mind the back of the fleet aren't foiling and from the sounds of it the front of the fleet are now foiling upwind in bigger breeze conditions. Overall yes, that could translate into a 50% speed delta, 26-28kts downwind vs. 18-20 for the trapezing floaters, and speeds in the high teens upwind foiling vs. low teens in low riding mode at the same angle. Keep in mind these are all pro sailors (except Brewin, who is just an excellent sailor and current world champ).Can't wait to see some more video footage!! 

It's happens rather frequently that the slowest are being lapped (even I have lapped some). If they are slow enough, it will happen.

Level seems pretty high at these nationals, and even better pilots makes the speed differences even bigger.

And good to see that the Australian fleet still is competitive, and don't get wiped out totally by some AC-sailor;-)

1 hour ago, Sonofagun said:

3 races today 075* 8 to 14. Brad F1 won one Stevie two  Ashby 3x 2nd. Tight at the top

How about a report on your spectacular gybe today Sonofagun/bitch

I was thinking Stevie’s 6th might have been a tough carry if something went wrong as neither had scored outside the top 3 before that.

Any gear developments? Top guys on AD3's w/ Z22's, late 2017 rudders (cassette style or swing style?), Aussie beam positions and Fiberfoam 15 masts?

On 12/31/2017 at 7:36 AM, Sonofagun said:

Glenn was more than 50% faster most of that race. He couuld foil 80% of the race when most floated 100%. Stevie marinally less on foils. Awexsome to watch

On 12/31/2017 at 8:06 AM, Lars Schrøder d 13 said:

It's happens rather frequently that the slowest are being lapped (even I have lapped some). If they are slow enough, it will happen.

Level seems pretty high at these nationals, and even better pilots makes the speed differences even bigger.

And good to see that the Australian fleet still is competitive, and don't get wiped out totally by some AC-sailor;-)

This time it was not just the slow guys who were lapped though, if I understood the report correct!=)

Glenn lapped everyone except Brawin, (including Outerridge and the rest of top 5) is what I understood.

He must have an exceptional talent of reading the wind and trimming the sails. Or could it be that he also had a better setup boat? Like, larger foils fitted?

Is it legal to switch equipment during a regatta?

Could you for example fit a sail with a larger roach on a calm day?

33 minutes ago, monochrome said:

This time it was not just the slow guys who were lapped though, if I understood the report correct!=)

Glenn lapped everyone except Brawin, (including Outerridge and the rest of top 5) is what I understood.

He must have an exceptional talent of reading the wind and trimming the sails. Or could it be that he also had a better setup boat? Like, larger foils fitted?

No. 

3 hours ago, monochrome said:

Perhaps Glenn and Stevie found more pressure than the others in marginal  flying conditions.  You can make massive gains on others if you find pressure and get up on foils where others don't.

Looks like Glenn came back strong with all bullets today to take the title.  Brayshaw had a good day as well moving up to 3rd.  Had a very interesting top mark rounding as well :D

1st place to Glenn Ashby
2nd place to Stevie Brewin 
3rd to Steve Brayshaw.

7 hours ago, Sonofabitch said:

Stevie got redress on ocs so got 2 placing back. Leads by a point over Glenn with 3 light races starting in an hour

Come on Abitch keep up. He didn’t get redress his placing was reinstated as he was able to prove he wasn’t OCS. Good last race BTW. 

1 hour ago, Sunset Strip said:

What platform was Scott Anderson on? Any new classics racing?

"New Classic"? interesting term!

In conclusion:

The Australian A-Cat National has probably a higher level than any A-Cat World Championship

And at the end, Glenn wins as usual.

13 hours ago, Sunset Strip said:

What platform was Scott Anderson on? Any new classics racing?

A14 Exploder. 

Four new Classics arrived in the country the day the regatta started. 

Two in Landy’s shed and two in mine. Stay tuned. 

Scotty refitted C boards into J2 slots. Not ideal but Scott made it work. He went wild rather than trapezed. He also used a DS with wishbone boom hung from central gooseneck. He explains side hung booms overstress masts pushing out of column in the region with downhaul adding compression. 

Thanks gun.  I added my central gooseneck back on the mast too, same reasoning.  I really like the way the classes were designated.  AClass and AClassFoiler.  IMO, the world should adopt this.  When you mention "classic" outside the A community, nobody knows what you are talking about.  Waiting to see pics of the new Landy sail and boat setups WnW!

3 hours ago, Bob Curry said:

Thanks gun.  I added my central gooseneck back on the mast too, same reasoning.  I really like the way the classes were designated.  AClass and AClassFoiler.  IMO, the world should adopt this.  When you mention "classic" outside the A community, nobody knows what you are talking about.  Waiting to see pics of the new Landy sail and boat setups WnW!

I used it in the Nats. It’s great. I’ll do a more detailed report later. On the long drive home now. I’m using a side gooseneck fitting but down at the base. Works really well and seems to negate the issues with further up. You need a longer boom though.