Sign in to follow this  
sidmon

Paint

Has anyone used EMC's Quantum 99 (Genius Bucket) two part polyurethane paint?

Specifically, has anyone rolled it?

I used it to paint the cabin sides on my old Gemini cat this past summer. I picked the quantum because I was redesigning the window shapes and replacing all the windows and hatches and wanted to paint before I installed them but was not going to get to all the rest of the painting so needed to be able to paint other areas at a later date and patch them in. I work at a marina and could have had awlgrip for free ( leftover from other projects ) but its not repairable. I could have used awlcraft  also free, but its not able to be rolled. I am quite happy with the quantum, we tried to roll and tip but to be honest it works better to just roll it. Awlgrip  is really nice to roll and tip but as I said its not repairable which is why they came out with awlcraft which is just an acrylic urethane car paint but it needs to be sprayed. Spraying is not always an option, in my case I was doing it in our storage building with other boats around. I havn't repainted the non skid areas yet which is a large area of the cabin top but I will be using some of the free awlgrip for that. I used oyster white in the quantum as we have plenty of awlgrip in that color.

Steve.

5 hours ago, Steve said:

I used it to paint the cabin sides on my old Gemini cat this past summer. I picked the quantum because I was redesigning the window shapes and replacing all the windows and hatches and wanted to paint before I installed them but was not going to get to all the rest of the painting so needed to be able to paint other areas at a later date and patch them in. I work at a marina and could have had awlgrip for free ( leftover from other projects ) but its not repairable. I could have used awlcraft  also free, but its not able to be rolled. I am quite happy with the quantum, we tried to roll and tip but to be honest it works better to just roll it. Awlgrip  is really nice to roll and tip but as I said its not repairable which is why they came out with awlcraft which is just an acrylic urethane car paint but it needs to be sprayed. Spraying is not always an option, in my case I was doing it in our storage building with other boats around. I havn't repainted the non skid areas yet which is a large area of the cabin top but I will be using some of the free awlgrip for that. I used oyster white in the quantum as we have plenty of awlgrip in that color.

Steve.

Thanks Steve. My painting scenario is pretty much the same as yours. I want to paint my cabin top next fall and winter, and then other parts such as the cockpit at a later date, so the ease of application and later repairability is quite important. Not to mention one of the biggest lessons I learned in the USN is: Once you paint, you shall continue to paint forevermore.

Did you have any issues with orange peel? Seems to be the biggest con with the paint I can find.

Not much problem with orange peel really.  Certainly not without it but I have seen as much on new cars. I think that it is a good option for my situation and forsee using it a lot more in the future on my own boats. I will be finishing the rest of the cabin top in the spring or summer, the nonskid areas with awlgrip just because it is a large area so free paint makes sense but the smooths will be done with the quantum. I need to finish this part because the oxidation washes down over the new windows and paint.