Recommended Posts

No way.  There is no way that a weta is faster than a VX Evo in light air.  I was there at wurstfest.  Rod was able to point higher upwind and had more waterline.  Downwind, his big chute and large main allowed him to point much lower.

I am surprised that Ortega would agree that it is the same speed as Canoe.  Count the steps it takes to tack a canoe?  If you are fractionally slow on any of them, you will be in the water.  Taking the EVO is like a laser.  There is zero effort.  And that is just upwind.  Downwind, to be of similar speed, you would need to carry the kite.  It is effortless in the EVO.  There has to be some measure of usability in the score, because though they may have the same waterline and straightline speed, the average performance is going to be magnitudes different.

75 or lower.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2108 Conroe Yacht Club Spring Fling NOR is up as well as registration. It's as simple as going to www.conroeyschtclub.com, clicking on the race schedule tab and scrolling down to the Spring Fling regatta. No money to pay right now, just sign up before the 23rd to get the early registration discount. We'll collect entry fees Saturday morning. PARTY!!

18.04.28-29 Spring Fling Invitational.pdf

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, duwke said:

No way.  There is no way that a weta is faster than a VX Evo in light air.  I was there at wurstfest.  Rod was able to point higher upwind and had more waterline.  Downwind, his big chute and large main allowed him to point much lower.

I am surprised that Ortega would agree that it is the same speed as Canoe.  Count the steps it takes to tack a canoe?  If you are fractionally slow on any of them, you will be in the water.  Taking the EVO is like a laser.  There is zero effort.  And that is just upwind.  Downwind, to be of similar speed, you would need to carry the kite.  It is effortless in the EVO.  There has to be some measure of usability in the score, because though they may have the same waterline and straightline speed, the average performance is going to be magnitudes different.

75 or lower.

Not everyone will be able to sail the EVO like Rod. The ability of the sailor has always been part of Portsmouth ratings. Where there are big fleets and good sailors, the ratings come down. Where there are a lot of new-to-the-boat sailors, not so much. The EVO is faster than an Aero downwind for sure, probably close going to weather. With that said, an Aero is damn fast downwind with the right skipper. All depends on who's on the helm. But I think saying the Evo is 12.5+ points faster than the Aero is not fair to the EVO. Besides, I'm going to buy one and I need all the help I can get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, duwke said:

No way.  There is no way that a weta is faster than a VX Evo in light air.  I was there at wurstfest.  Rod was able to point higher upwind and had more waterline.  Downwind, his big chute and large main allowed him to point much lower.

I am surprised that Ortega would agree that it is the same speed as Canoe.  Count the steps it takes to tack a canoe?  If you are fractionally slow on any of them, you will be in the water.  Taking the EVO is like a laser.  There is zero effort.  And that is just upwind.  Downwind, to be of similar speed, you would need to carry the kite.  It is effortless in the EVO.  There has to be some measure of usability in the score, because though they may have the same waterline and straightline speed, the average performance is going to be magnitudes different.

75 or lower.

There’s no good way to race a cat vs mono.  A small tri- even worse.  Add foils and forget it.  Throw a moth in there too.  You need to put competitive racing out of your mind until you start racing a one-design or at least reasonably similar boats.  

The evo data is raw - let’s not go screwing the boats national handicap because a a top level sailor lapped you in conditions that were far outside optimal for your tri.  

Conroe will be a good test.  We’ll have at least five Evos there and are going to stay part of the cb mix fleet.  You’ll have   a broad range of talent in the boat.  

And re Conroe - if some of guys want to swap out and race my evo while I race your boat, let’s do it.  Assuming conditions are reasonable.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lindy911 said:

Not everyone will be able to sail the EVO like Rod. The ability of the sailor has always been part of Portsmouth ratings. Where there are big fleets and good sailors, the ratings come down. Where there are a lot of new-to-the-boat sailors, not so much. The EVO is faster than an Aero downwind for sure, probably close going to weather. With that said, an Aero is damn fast downwind with the right skipper. All depends on who's on the helm. But I think saying the Evo is 12.5+ points faster than the Aero is not fair to the EVO. Besides, I'm going to buy one and I need all the help I can get.

FYI here’s a video from saiking a few weeks ago.  It was nuking - maybe 25 gusts close to 30.  


 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, duwke said:

75 or lower.

What yardstick are you using? The US Sailing one I have seen would, at 70-75, make the Evo faster than a 505 and about on par with an E Scow. Impressive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, duwke said:

In light wind.  The higher beauforts will be different, but it won't be slow there either.

2 hours ago, bill4 said:

What yardstick are you using? The US Sailing one I have seen would, at 70-75, make the Evo faster than a 505 and about on par with an E Scow. Impressive

Ya, I looked at the website for 70ish rated boats. The Evos not as fast as the Vx one - and the Escows in Hubbard left us like we were weta’s (sorry I couldn’t resist)  really, give it more than one regatta.  

If I had it pick a boat that would we similar performance it would be a thistle- although that boat would beat the evo upwind and the Evo would win the race down. 

 

Hope you guys are all coming to Conroe and then DCYC in May.  If the weathers reasonable I’ll swap boats with some of you for a few races.  I still want to see how long I can keep one of those sailing toothpicks upright 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll swap any time, think the evo would be perfect , like my MX but so much better, nothing like hanging off the very last inch of transom, going way over 20. Having said that, I think the rating should be at least what we rate, maybe more like 76, which is what we're sposed to be with giant kite up.'Course I'll never be able to sail to that so don't matter. See ya'll soon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, ortegakid said:

I'll swap any time, think the evo would be perfect , like my MX but so much better, nothing like hanging off the very last inch of transom, going way over 20. Having said that, I think the rating should be at least what we rate, maybe more like 76, which is what we're sposed to be with giant kite up.'Course I'll never be able to sail to that so don't matter. See ya'll soon!

Then plan on it!  

Fyi the canoe is a faster boat, in all conditions.  You gotta rate these things assuming even skill levels.  Rod vs a top level canoe sailor - rod gets crushed boat for boat I suspect. 

Time will tell.  And maybe I’m underestimating the boat based on my limited time on the thing.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, cool!

And yes, very much so, especially against a modern IC. Even I get lucky and sail it well sometimes, but the best,... just another world.

We will know so much more after Conroe, and ratings are just for paper, sailing with friends is all I want.

And I'm bringing my turbo FD, so it will all be in fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since all canoes would include the AC's that self imposed a 76.1 D-PN number after winning the TCC in 12' if you want to be the new scratch boat you would require a 76.

or at least the 76.1 we sail with. Just my .02  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, racing with an 85 (same as Rod had at Wurstfest) I crossed the line first 5 times today, but corrected to 3rd out of 4 boats.  Well done The Frog Clewless today at AYC, with the overall win!

I suspect I was far from sailing the VX Evo to its potential today, given that my first time on the boat was 20 minutes before our first start this morning, my fat ass (220 lbs), AND most importantly, my mediocre sailing skills, especially compared to someone like Rod.

But handicaps aside, the VX Evo is an absolute hoot!!  After the first couple of races, I was 100% comfortable flying and gybing the kite, and desperately looking for more pressure.  The boat absolutely came alive once the breeze hit 8-10 and she started getting up on plane heading downwind.   Reminds me of the good-ol Viper 640 days, but more fun and less drama, flying solo.  Things get a little busy (anyone want to lend me an extra arm and hand?) on kite hoists and takedowns, but that's part of what made it fun.

Great racing with you guys today, TCC.  I think the last time I sailed with y'all was on my Laser II "Frankenboat", modified with a 29er asym kite and jury-rigged bowsprit using the boat's original spinnaker pole.  There was a LOT of swimming involved, but man when it stayed upright it was fun.  I like to think of that monstrosity as an ancestor to the VX Evo.   What a difference a well engineered boat makes.  :-) 

F.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 4:24 PM, duwke said:

In light wind.  The higher beauforts will be different, but it won't be slow there either.

 

19 hours ago, fpayet said:

Well, racing with an 85 (same as Rod had at Wurstfest) I crossed the line first 5 times today, but corrected to 3rd out of 4 boats.  Well done The Frog Clewless today at AYC, with the overall win!

I suspect I was far from sailing the VX Evo to its potential today, given that my first time on the boat was 20 minutes before our first start this morning, my fat ass (220 lbs), AND most importantly, my mediocre sailing skills, especially compared to someone like Rod.

But handicaps aside, the VX Evo is an absolute hoot!!  After the first couple of races, I was 100% comfortable flying and gybing the kite, and desperately looking for more pressure.  The boat absolutely came alive once the breeze hit 8-10 and she started getting up on plane heading downwind.   Reminds me of the good-ol Viper 640 days, but more fun and less drama, flying solo.  Things get a little busy (anyone want to lend me an extra arm and hand?) on kite hoists and takedowns, but that's part of what made it fun.

Great racing with you guys today, TCC.  I think the last time I sailed with y'all was on my Laser II "Frankenboat", modified with a 29er asym kite and jury-rigged bowsprit using the boat's original spinnaker pole.  There was a LOT of swimming involved, but man when it stayed upright it was fun.  I like to think of that monstrosity as an ancestor to the VX Evo.   What a difference a well engineered boat makes.  :-) 

F.

.... Bueller.....Bueller.....  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, duwke said:

That is your argument?

Huh?  Sorry, WHAT?  Not sure what you mean.

I was not arguing for or against anything.  The only reason I mentioned "my first time on the boat" was as part of the reason why I was likely not sailing the boat to its potential.  I'm not arrogant enough to think that I can step onto a boat for the first time and immediately get 100% out of it.  So, I'm sure that I left time on the race course... but had a great time doing it!  

That's it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, referencing the note above mine.  Sushi is unhappy that I suggest the VxEvo take a lower rating, and it will very certainly be a non-agreement.  Sorry to drag your excellent recap into it.

Glad you made it out for the TCC event.  It sounded.. cold, but fun!  Are you going to make it to Conroe?  Sound like quite a fleet for that event.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, duwke said:

Sorry, referencing the note above mine.  Sushi is unhappy that I suggest the VxEvo take a lower rating, and it will very certainly be a non-agreement.  Sorry to drag your excellent recap into it.

Glad you made it out for the TCC event.  It sounded.. cold, but fun!  Are you going to make it to Conroe?  Sound like quite a fleet for that event.

:D The story of handicap racing... just like politics:  When you argue about it, NOBODY's happy. 

Sadly, not going to make it to Lake Conroe.  Hope y'all have fun!

BTW, anyone interested in buying a WETA?  Mine is for sale...   raising money for another boat.  You only get one guess as to what.  :P  I've enjoyed the Weta the few times that I got to race it, but... time to try something different.

All kidding aside, ping me if anyone's interested.  Boat purchased November 2011, only owner, in fantastic condition.  Sailed very little, and not at all in the last several years (a big part of the reason I'm selling it).  Factory sails in excellent shape, always stored rolled, in factory bags, in my garage (out of the heat).  Light gray hulls, red kite.  Upgraded to continuous furler for gennaker, and new full-boat and mast Sunbrella custom cover bought in 2017, made by Bartlett Sails in Austin.  Always lives covered, mast down.  Includes dolly AND road trailer. Upgraded tapered battens AND original battens.  Dakine large quiver bag that holds all sail bags, sprit, running rigging.  Foils in perfect condition, also includes foil bag.  Safety harness, storage bag for inside of the cockpit hatch also included.  Asking $9,000 OBO.  Located at Austin Yacht Club, TX.

And yes... I know:  "BUY AN AD!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

YES, COME TO CONROE! 

We'll let you sail with a 85 and rod and jeff with a 68.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, duwke said:
15 minutes ago, duwke said:

Sorry, referencing the note above mine.  Sushi is unhappy that I suggest the VxEvo take a lower rating, and it will very certainly be a non-agreement.  Sorry to drag your excellent recap into it.

Glad you made it out for the TCC event.  It sounded.. cold, but fun!  Are you going to make it to Conroe?  Sound like quite a fleet for that event.

 

i think my argument was, chill until we have just a little more data.  

Think about some of the delta's in OD racing.  J22 midwinters a few weeks ago, the first place finisher beat mid-pack by about 5 min every race, and was probably 10 min in front of the last place finisher.  On a 5 leg course.   Hank Saurge beat me by about 5 min in every race a few years ago in the Aero fleet, and i was usually the second place finisher!       

Sometimes it's the sailor, and not the boat.   The danger of making a rating drop based on a PRO crushing the fleet is that it'll hurt the average sailor who decides to race the same design.  I've spoken to Rod and he's promised not to ruin the rating for the rest of us.  He'll sandbag, especially when your around.  No more outpointing the weta (ha)

Someone buy Apex's weta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, ortegakid said:

YES, COME TO CONROE! 

We'll let you sail with a 85 and rod and jeff with a 68.

 

Uh, don't tase me bro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, fpayet said:

:D The story of handicap racing... just like politics:  When you argue about it, NOBODY's happy. 

Sadly, not going to make it to Lake Conroe.  Hope y'all have fun!

BTW, anyone interested in buying a WETA?  Mine is for sale...   raising money for another boat.  You only get one guess as to what.  :P  I've enjoyed the Weta the few times that I got to race it, but... time to try something different.

All kidding aside, ping me if anyone's interested.  Boat purchased November 2011, only owner, in fantastic condition.  Sailed very little, and not at all in the last several years (a big part of the reason I'm selling it).  Factory sails in excellent shape, always stored rolled, in factory bags, in my garage (out of the heat).  Light gray hulls, red kite.  Upgraded to continuous furler for gennaker, and new full-boat and mast Sunbrella custom cover bought in 2017, made by Bartlett Sails in Austin.  Always lives covered, mast down.  Includes dolly AND road trailer. Upgraded tapered battens AND original battens.  Dakine large quiver bag that holds all sail bags, sprit, running rigging.  Foils in perfect condition, also includes foil bag.  Safety harness, storage bag for inside of the cockpit hatch also included.  Asking $9,000 OBO.  Located at Austin Yacht Club, TX.

And yes... I know:  "BUY AN AD!"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, ortegakid said:

YES, COME TO CONROE! 

We'll let you sail with a 85 and rod and jeff with a 68.

 

:o:D

I think ortegakid just called me SLOW.  I should be offended.

:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No my friend, just that the rod is very fast. After a year of all types of sailors in the evo, sure it will be much more accurate, much as the aero is now. Still have your stickers on my cars, be nice to see ya again. Hoping for mild wind and weather.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys , 

Good input and great stuff Felipe.

I agree that we should collect more data before assigning a number. Anything below 870 and you will be neck to neck with C Scows, E scows , Flying Dutchman, etc. Granted, in the right conditions, every boat is a rocket in this category. The Wetas will be smoking upwind in anything above 9 knots then may lose a little downwind, I don't know....  The IC will crush me as Sushi mentions on anything above 6 knots, may be...I am not sure what the minimum for the IC is.

Truth from an isolated performance analysis on the VX Evo is that the boat averages quite well upwind on ant condition but there will be nothing really spectacular upwind after 8 or 9 knots of TWS. The Evo will really excel in light air upwind and downwind in all conditions when compared to any other similar boat in its category.

Conroe will be interesting. 

Sushi is ready to take the hit of 68!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Claire1000 said:

We can all just buy evos and solve this. Glad I could help. 

There is wisdom right here....!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lifesave said:

And settle for less than the best for three times the money? No thanks,  I'll pass

 

NO sushi for you!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Claire1000 said:

We can all just buy evos and solve this. Glad I could help. 

Tried that, not for me, but very fun, and I fixed the batten issue on my AC, you should have a go again, sliding seat is so much fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are the cumulative results from Governors cup. Interesting that total sail time and points ranking give same standings.

Felipe got better throughout the day, presumably as he got more comfortable with the boat. Norman (me) got worse, presumably as my boat took on more water. Jenny had an uncharacteristically bad day, and Sylvie sailed incredibly consistent and fast.

Skipper 1 2 3 4 5 Grand Total
Loehlin,Jennifer 0:45:50 0:27:21 0:34:23 0:33:02 0:34:24 2:55:00
Mathis,Sylvie 0:45:37 0:25:52 0:32:53 0:30:28 0:31:52 2:46:42
Meyer,Norman 0:43:55 0:25:30 0:35:03 0:32:18 0:32:33 2:49:19
Payet,Felipe 0:48:06 0:26:49 0:34:22 0:32:20 0:29:16 2:50:53
Grand Total 3:03:28 1:45:32 2:16:41 2:08:08 2:08:05 11:21:54

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Norman, welcome to TCC.  BTW we are not racing in May.  Look at the calendar and plan ahead to travel with us.  Must club have a camping area set a side for the racers traveling, stay tune for Fort Worth Boat Club.  Was nice to meet you.  See you soon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone does want to race in May, check out the regatta at dcyc www.dcyc.org.  Possibly the best camping regatta in the state, great - welcoming club.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After reading the NOR I'm not sure we will be welcome.  One design and PHRF course only!?!?!?!   We could do the Rush Creek Yacht Club Springfest early May. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone considered Turnback Canyon first weekend in May?  Sounds like they are going all the way back down to Lago Vista for an over-night.   Used to be epic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2018 at 11:34 AM, sushi said:

Has anyone considered Turnback Canyon first weekend in May?  Sounds like they are going all the way back down to Lago Vista for an over-night.   Used to be epic.

Yes I am thinking about it but in the Corsair!!!

I really have a love hate thing about that race!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Harpoonette will be attending Lindy.  I've got a fishing tourney and someone has to watch the boys. She'll have her good crew for this event.

FM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Current list or pre-registrations for the CYC Spring Fling Regatta:

Hanks Saurage       

Bruce Zurbuchen

David Smith

Alan Jess

Mike Hallett

Robert Kembel

Mark McNamara

Charles Schmidt

Alan Jess

Tim Kraft

Joseph Sircely

Matt Harden

Pat Gibson

Ellen Burks & Sylvie Mathis

Ash Beatty

Darin Keever

Jeff Jones

Derek McKesson

Mike Lindstrom

Jenny Loehlin

These are sailors who have registered online with the CYC website. There are at least 15 others I have talked to who plan on coming. For the record, this event is on the District 15 Laser schedule and I don't have one boat registered. They are notorious for showing up the day of the event. I'll take 'um anyway.

As I have boasted: WE PLAN TO PARTY! KEG FOR FRIDAY AND SATURDAY NIGHT PROVIDED BY YOURS TRUELY. AND I HAVE A SURPRISE SETUP FOR DINNER ON SATURDAY NIGHT. BRING YOUR DANCE'N SHOES.

 

Thanks, all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're going to do a Friday evening pursuit race around the cans the weekend of the regatta, with a length of about 2 miles for anyone who wants to get in a practice race. Winner will sail in the Spring Fling for free. Keg will be waiting for us at the ramp. Come early and join the chaos and sail a triangle, once around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, i won't even go to the high beams jokes i was contemplating... See y'all then!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Carsondude you may want to check the 2018 Texas Centerboard Circuit schedule.  Thanks Lindy911!  See you early Friday...parking is everything.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, carsondude said:

So is the class doing DCYC or Dinghyfest in May?

i spoke to some guys up there today (regatta chair) and i think they would be happy to host a Portsmouth fleet.  (he's an evo sailor).   If you guys want me to put you in touch, i will.   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, lindy911 said:

Attached are the sailing instructions for next weekend's Spring Fling Regatta at Conroe Yacht Club. We have over 25 boats registered and more coming. See you all there.

2018 SFR SI.pdf

Lindy, assume you'll post start times for the pursuit race sometime Friday afternoon?     

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's in the SI's, 6:00 pm dork, and save me a parking spot since I'm sailing my giant heavy boat, no dolly for me.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ortegakid said:

It's in the SI's, 6:00 pm dork, and save me a parking spot since I'm sailing my giant heavy boat, no dolly for me.

 

Pursuit race means staggered starts based on handicap and course.   So slowest boat would start at 6, fastest boat might start at 645.   The objective being everyone finishes at the same time.  Slower boats have a little advantage as the wind usually lays as it get later so they will have more time in breeze, and fast boats have to get by slow ones.  

 

Like the ayc beer can racing . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know all top well about pursuits, first race ever at BTF, I start an hour before Big D,he in his Canoe, me in my rocket MX-ray, he passes me at the first mark! That is the reason I have one now, ( the AC). And dork meant in a most friendly way of course Jeff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ortegakid said:

I know all top well about pursuits, first race ever at BTF, I start an hour before Big D,he in his Canoe, me in my rocket MX-ray, he passes me at the first mark! That is the reason I have one now, ( the AC). And dork meant in a most friendly way of course Jeff.

Ha!   I get called a dork so much I didn’t even notice.  

Dave coming?  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I may be bringing the carbon fibre toothpick, as my crew can't come. But I'll be there with bells on! And my wetsuit as you know I'll be swimmin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  •  
  • Members
  • 8
  • 130 posts
  • Location:Texas
  •  
  •  

Current list or pre-registrations for the CYC Spring Fling Regatta:

Hanks Saurage       

Bruce Zurbuchen

David Smith

Alan Jess

Mike Hallett

Robert Kembel

Mark McNamara

Charles Schmidt

Alan Jess

Tim Kraft

Joseph Sircely

Matt Harden

Pat Gibson

Ellen Burks & Sylvie Mathis

Ash Beatty

Darin Keever

Jeff Jones

Derek McKesson

Mike Lindstrom

Jenny Loehlin

Annie Lancaster

Long Ta

Philip Myerson

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well friends, CFT and I will not be able to attend, have a great time and I want a full report. Looks like great weather, have fun and a beer or 30 for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So sorry!  Hope all is well.  We see you at FWBC in June.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

505 stuff!!!

i have a bunch of 505 stuff from Steve Ehlers’ estate. I have NOT opened the sailbags but it seems the roll bags have a stiff main and jib inside. 

Is anybody around the state still sailing a 505?? Unless  are multiple 505s  racing, I can’t imagine why  the vintage if a nice Sail would matter. 

$$$& is not the concern. I simply want to find someone who will make use of the stuff and hopefully write a very nice thank you note to his family. 

Other answers to expected questions: The hull was toast years ago- I chopped it up.  i plan to buy the trailer and move my double deck rscknto the newer frame. 

The centerboard was too rotted to fix.... too bad. It was once a fabulous blade 

the rudder looks salvageable 

I think the mast is OK . It is a gold proctor and skinnier than my old Fireball D section. The remaining rigging is useless. I think I saved the Elvstrom bailers 

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh yeah.... there is a nice mildly used trapeze harness. Not very modern looking . It is newer and better than my 1970 Peter Storm harness but I seriously doubt it is newer than  thirty years old. 

Thevtiller is a pretty wooden a shaped thing that has two  3/4 square sticks that spread out to go to either side of the rudder head.  

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you know Gouv, you are a saint in the 'should I save this boat or not' world. 

keep up the good fight.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spring Fling 2018 is in the books. Thanks to all who showed and endured the light air of Saturday and the blow yesterday. We had several Portsmouth boats with Ellen and Sylvie taking gold and Jenny and David silver. The new VX Evo showed up in force with Jeff Jones scoring all bullets. Sunfish was won by David Smith with Annie close in second. Lasers were a no show. The biggest class of the regatta were RS Aeros with ten boats. This regatta has served as the Texas State Championship for two years now with Aero master Hank Saurage taking first, a new Aero sailor from the Dallas area second (I will add his name once I get the results page back) and Mike Lindstrom third.

We all ate well, probably drank a little too much and sailed fast on Sunday. No better way, in my book, to spend a weekend. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you so much Mike!  Great regatta overall. Thank you also to my great skipper Ellen. Fun! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/28/2018 at 11:46 AM, ortegakid said:

Does the rudder pivot, if so how much?

 

it is a One piece blade with pintles  ... not a rudder head with blade

 

(Mike and s Jenny made it home to AYC) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  •  
  •  
  • duwke
  • Members
  • 4
  • 294 posts
  • Location:Texas

"No way.  There is no way that a weta is faster than a VX Evo in light air.  I was there at wurstfest.  Rod was able to point higher upwind and had more waterline.  Downwind, his big chute and large main allowed him to point much lower.

I am surprised that Ortega would agree that it is the same speed as Canoe.  Count the steps it takes to tack a canoe?  If you are fractionally slow on any of them, you will be in the water.  Taking the EVO is like a laser.  There is zero effort.  And that is just upwind.  Downwind, to be of similar speed, you would need to carry the kite.  It is effortless in the EVO.  There has to be some measure of usability in the score, because though they may have the same waterline and straightline speed, the average performance is going to be magnitudes different.

75 or lower."

 

As reference, this past weekend at SFR the Evo and the Aero 9 sailed almost identical to weather. Matter of fact, in light air, Hank Saurage caught and passed the entire Evo fleet that had a five minute head start. It was light so the kite on the Evo was no match for the skill of Hank even with sailors like JJ and Pat Gibson.  That said, I'm no Hank but have watched the Weta sail off over the horizon when I sailed against it. I also got a chance to sail the Evo Friday in 8-10 knots. A cool boat it certainly is. But thinking there is no effort in kite handling or tacking is unfounded. The boat accelerates so hard you really have to hold on or go swimming off the back. And guys like Pat who come from advanced levels of Viper 640 sailing, got a gut check when the wind picked up yesterday. Just a little perspective to add to the mix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, the weta is a multihull, so it can't be used as a yardstick.. apparently.

Great, let's give it an 85.  I'll put my order in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure I understand your comment, duwke. My point was there are loads of variables to consider and one observation of a very good sailor in an Evo beating a Portsmouth fleet in light air on flat water is only one of them. Wait until you sail against one in a breeze; they're a handful. I was also adding into the mix the relative known data regarding the Aero and how it compared to an Evo first hand. I'm not agreeing nor disagreeing with anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You quoted me.  Your data point is that it is slower than I think it was, and you compared that to your experience against the Weta (which has horizoned nobody in under 10). 

My response is that I can't respond, per Tuna's prior argument. Yet I agree, more data will make a better portsmouth number. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, duwke said:

You quoted me.  Your data point is that it is slower than I think it was, and you compared that to your experience against the Weta (which has horizoned nobody in under 10). 

My response is that I can't respond, per Tuna's prior argument. Yet I agree, more data will make a better portsmouth number. 

 

Don’t tase me bro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OFFICIAL RESULTS FROM CYC SFR 4-28-2018 & 4-29-2018

 

 

Aero Texas State Championship

 

  1. Hank Saurage                    9              2122
  2. Phillip Myerson                7              2
  3. Mike Lindstrom                 9              1766      
  4. Ash Beatty                          9              1625
  5. Robert Kembel                  9              7
  6. J. Zier                                    7              2209
  7. Ta Long                                 7              3
  8. Ronald Liston                     9              2121
  9. Mark McNamara              9              2211
  10. W. Griffith                           9              1

 

VX Evo

 

  1. Jeff Jones                            B             13          
  2. Tim Kraft                             B             9
  3. Matt Harden                      B             8
  4. Joseph Sircely                    B             11
  5. Pat Gibson                          B             30

 

Sunfish

 

  1. David Smith                                        80999
  2. Annie Lancaster                                80640
  3. Brenda Palamar                                Club Boat

 

Portsmouth

 

  1. Sylvie Mathis & Ellen Burks          619         Capri 16.5
  2. Jennifer Loehlin                                777         Harpoon 5.2
  3. Bruce Zurbuchen                             2592       Thistle

 

Laser

 

  1. C. Barlen                                              198013

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice for round 2 of the Aero invasion .

Where is the KO PR guy who started the other thread? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mike,

Wife and I had a great time, but we are realizing that for the two of us, the Thistle is just a bit too much when the wind picks up.  We are considering the next boat...

Bruce

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We enjoyed having you and hope you can make it back next year. The advent of the internet can sometimes kill the attendance of a regatta based on the forecast of wind. We could have easily had 40+ boats this year had the wind cooperated a little more. We certainly had the food and beer for them.

You might look at a Flying Scot. There's a big Texas presence and good used boats available. It's a little easier to sail in a breeze and can be quite fast off the wind. Or you could get adventurous and go for a VX Evo...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was great to meet you both.  A Catalina 16.5 (2004?) is available for $1500 with a great trailer and great sails. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites