bruce

would you sack mark richards ?

Like he said.

Hobart goes North to South and through 3 different climate zones.

Weather systems travel across the course not along it.

1 hour ago, duncan (the other one) said:

Hobart is a challenge because of the weather systems passing over the course. You'll typically get everything from glassouts to heavy running to 40kn on the snotter. Temperatures from 30C to less than 10C.

Even in this year's atypical downwind sled ride, the small guys got all of the above (except maybe the cold temps).

If they want to make the S2H a real challenge, it should become the S2HWC. 

Just imagine passing Gabo and then having to head SW :D

1 hour ago, duncan (the other one) said:

Hobart is a challenge because of the weather systems passing over the course. You'll typically get everything from glassouts to heavy running to 40kn on the snotter. Temperatures from 30C to less than 10C.

Exactly and that is why the worlds greatest and best all round 100 footer again beat a one trick pony to Hobart. I did hear there was some issue between them just after the start but I can't seem to find any mention of it on these forums.

Bwhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

10 hours ago, hoppy said:

If they want to make the S2H a real challenge, it should become the S2HWC. 

Just imagine passing Gabo and then having to head SW :D

that would be awesome.. tides of Tas/Flinders, west coast, Maatsuyker..

On 1/3/2018 at 4:49 PM, SCANAS said:

Just ring Spithill, Falcone, Honey or De Riddler & ask Clean. 

Stan says yes.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

The low speed chase incidet was simple stupidity. But the fact remains that the Farallones race, by any measure, is by far the most dangerous race in all of yachting.

• Downvote 1

7 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Stan says yes.

I’m sure Stan is happy to have you acting as his spokesman. <_<

1 hour ago, Moonduster said:

The low speed chase incidet was simple stupidity. But the fact remains that the Farallones race, by any measure, is by far the most dangerous race in all of yachting.

Which measure are you using? 

2 hours ago, Moonduster said:

. But the fact remains that the Farallones race, by any measure, is by far the most dangerous race in all of yachting.

You haven't been in the bar after a Brisbane to Keppel race.

On 1/2/2018 at 11:04 AM, mad said:

Look out for a guy with a tiger striped rifle. :lol:

look for the runt cock yelling at bicyclists.

2 hours ago, Moonduster said:

I've done the Farallon race and I didn't think it was too bad (it was actually sunny), but maybe I caught it on a mild year.  Aside from poor judgement and cutting it too close on the rounding, what makes it more dangerous than other ocean races?  Not trying to start a shit fight, just curious.

3 hours ago, Moonduster said:

I've done around ten Farallones races, a few on a Moore 24, you're high.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Moonduster said:

Big call. "fact..by any measure...by far the most..."

Got a cite or just your opinion?

Not looking for a shit fight... Genuinely interested.

5 hours ago, Moonduster said:

if by 'dangerous' you mean 'accident-prone' - then maybe you'll get agreement.

8 hours ago, Moonduster said:

More dangerous than the Fastnet? Statistics don't say so

At the time of the Low Speed Chase incident, there was an analysis of death-while-ocean-racing. The Farallones race stood well out from the crowd. There's was much written about Low Speed Chase, that it's become difficult to get a good summary about other years' fatalities. I can't find that article and it took a few hours to get this list pulled together.

• 1982 6 deaths
  • 1984 1 death
  • 1999 1 death
  • 2012 5 deaths

I don't believe that's a complete summary.

The '79 Fastnet saw 15 of 2500 sailors killed, 0.6%.

The '98 Sydney Hobart saw 6 sailors killed with 115 starters. I can't find a citation for total sailors, but if we assume 5 per yacht, that's 1%. The actual number of crew was certainly much higher and the percentage must lower.

The '82 Farallones had 254 participants, and a fatality rate closer to 2.5%.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, duncan (the other one) said:

that would be awesome.. tides of Tas/Flinders, west coast, Maatsuyker..

That would two huge tidal gates if you don't turn at Gabo but pass through Banks Strait leaving Clarke island to starboard.

Another cracker at Three Hummock in the overfalls and a Westerly.

Mind you a real good north-westerly front down the back of the island going south west at the bottom would give a whole new meaning to exciting in a 100 footer.

The TPs not so much.

From memory only one TP 52 has ever done the Westcoaster.

4 hours ago, Moonduster said:

The '82 Farallones had 254 participants, and a fatality rate closer to 2.5%.

well then they need to sort out the people and vessels that sail in that race.

That number is appalling.

• Like 3

This is the most insane bit of dick swinging I have ever seen. "My race is more hardcore than yours because we kill more sailors then you." Nuts. Get a grip on reality and life.

No matter how hard core your race, the correct number of deaths is exactly zero. More than that is suggestive that you have a problem; it is not a badge of merit. 

I notice that after the 2012 accident there is a now a minimum equipment requirement for the Farallones . What I also notice is that the list is actually a weakened version of the US Sailing safety equipment requirements for coastal races,  removing such things as stability requirements. I guess not forcing some boats out of the race was more important. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Francis Vaughan said:

This is the most insane bit of dick swinging I have ever seen. "My race is more hardcore than yours because we kill more sailors then you." Nuts. Get a grip on reality and life.

No matter how hard core your race, the correct number of deaths is exactly zero. More than that is suggestive that you have a problem; it is not a badge of merit. 

I notice that after the 2012 accident there is a now a minimum equipment requirement for the Farallones . What I also notice is that the list is actually a weakened version of the US Sailing safety equipment requirements for coastal races,  removing such things as stability requirements. I guess not forcing some boats out of the race was more important. 

Agreed. It seems that until recently there wasn't much in the way of qualifying boats and/or crews. It certainly is a challenging race for a 58 mile course. But if they had to follow the same entry and safety qualifications of the Sydney Hobart or Fastnet Race, I'd hazard a guess that there wouldnt be as many incidents and deaths. Yes, the water is cold. Yes it can be windy. And yes, there are rocks to avoid. That's not unique and the boats should only be on the course for a relatively short time! Assuming there's wind a 4kt shitbox could do it in 15 hours. 

• Like 2

On 1/4/2018 at 3:07 AM, MR.CLEAN said:

Anyone here who has sailed with the young cooney...is she any good (at sailing)?

On 1/4/2018 at 8:38 AM, hoppy said:

Does it matter?

0d992f6f0a6ac9961e88c5e7c84e0c19

On 1/4/2018 at 10:31 AM, Jason AUS said:

On 1/4/2018 at 10:31 AM, Jason AUS said:

I'd normally hesitate to comment on "family," but it's worth saying that she's actually a great sailor. Julia's not only a very decent jib/kite trimmer, but she's one of those sailors who just gets all the parts of keeping a boat going. Automatically back flaking sheets after a tack or gybe, sponging out bilges at the end of the day, making coffee when at sea - all the tasks that (IMHO) are more important to a boat than being an awesome trimmer, but a lousy team player. And that stands out even more when her family owns the boat.

As an example, in the 2015 Hobart as we were punching into a really fresh southerly at 2am (and everyone else on board was trying to project manage reefing the main, breaking battens etc.) Julia was exactly where she was meant to be - down to leeward, trimming the jib and getting REALLY pissed off when people kept asking if she was OK. She was then in the galley a couple of hours later helping me make coffee for the guys on deck.

She's a total team player, from helping the sewer team pack kites (which is a shit of a job on an 80' maxi) to buying a round of beers after racing.

Spot on Jas

An all round champion person that i would want on my sailing team heading anywhere....

Oh and not a redhead LB

8 minutes ago, PIL007 said:

Oh and not a redhead LB

My bad. Must have been the light. 

• Like 1

On 03/01/2018 at 9:15 AM, jackolantern said:

regardless of whether it's driven by Ricko or a Kangaroo with dyed hair.

Your confused jacko...that is the same person.