Sign in to follow this  
Tabman

What type of boat is this?

Have absolutely no idea, not being American doesn’t help much either, all I 

can gather from the pics is unstayed mast and a really narrow cockpit, doesn’t look that interesting or original.

-Begin Gouvernail impression-
"Copperhead 14. Another beautiful design by rod mcalpine downey, brutally chopper-gunned to death by MFG in Ohio."
-End gouvernail impression-

• Like 5

Pretty good Dave!  That being said, gouv or your dad would actually know!  Looks nice actually, although I'm sure as per your impression that it weighs far more than it should and its sail plan and rigging leave a lot to be desired.

52 minutes ago, eliboat said:

Pretty good Dave!  That being said, gouv or your dad would actually know!  Looks nice actually, although I'm sure as per your impression that it weighs far more than it should and its sail plan and rigging leave a lot to be desired.

The rigging is great if you need some plumbing repair parts for your house and don't want to drive to the store.

For sailing, yeah, they suck.

Are you sure it's not a Sidewinder? I think the Copperhead is the Sidewinder's smaller sister but don't remember them (thank goodness)

FB- Doug

9 hours ago, Dave Clark said:

"Copperhead 14. Another beautiful design by rod mcalpine downey, brutally chopper-gunned to death by MFG in Ohio."

Check out sailmfg.com 

Lots of pics of the entire MFG fleet. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Dave Clark said:

"Copperhead 14. Another beautiful design by rod mcalpine downey whose 110 lb wood prototype was raped brutally with 16/10 Fabmat  to 229 lbs  by MFG in Union City Pennsylvania. ."

You came brilliantly close!!!

Playcraft /Charger refused to sell the tooling or I wouid have been building them at 80 pounds with a three piece mast laser rig, plastic foils, great rigging, and durable sails  since the mid eighties. 

I had production hull number one which was only 120 pounds and even with its shitty sail I was able to beat the Lasers and OK Dinghies ..., but the company refused to build them under 200 pounds, the Sunfish style stub masts folded over in breeze, and the Kirby/ Bruce / Fogh team took over the market. 

• Like 1

Hi Gouv

Ok dinghies! Now there is a lovely boat in flat water or one and half metre seas. A real challenge to sail and can be self built. How many did you have in the US Gouv.

In aus the numbers built are now in the high 700 or low 800.

Unfortunately now quite expensive.

Recent world's in Barbados .

Sailed in most European countries

NZ Aus Thialand and no doubt a few others.

Another class for your build programme.

Apologies for drift.

There was a fleet of a dozen OK Dinghies in Erie Pennsylvania  until 1972. Erie Yacht Club hosted a 101 Boat international championship and we never had more than three out at a time after that. 

Of course Lasers started booming so that may have been the bigger cause of the fleet's demise.

Robin Coutts has been in the USA a lot the last few years and last summer he posted a series of photos on Facebook while he and some friends built a new OK Dinghy.

they seem to have a Fleet somewhere and that Fleet seems to have some fun racing but I don’t know if there are more than a dozen functioning OK Dinghies on the entire North American Continent. 

I love the way they sail backwards!!! 

The best feature  of the Erie Fleet was a very sweet blonde girl who sailed in a bikini. I lost track of her many years ago. My guess is, in her sixties, she still sails somewhere 

• Like 1

Thanks for that Gouv.

I don't how us missed such a great world wide class. Female sailors are a rarity in the class . I can only remember one or two. Don't remember any bikini variations.

The design and class rules make an ok competative for many more years than most similar boats.

One of  my favourite s.

Rig and sails are the main thing