ASP

INO Blocks

I'd be interested to hear peoples experiences with the INO blocks. I know they are being used in a lot of high calibre class 40, Imoca 60 and french multihull teams but I'm interested to get feedback from more 'everyday' joes who don't have the liberty of buying/replacing blocks every 6mo's. 

Be curious to know the size of block used and the application as well as the longevity of the dyneema friction loop. 

Cheers!

I have used them for a mast base halyard turning block.  Dyneema has the same life span of any dyneema.  2 years or 10 k miles.  The block cheeks exploded,  which I think will happen in any capsized.  

1 hour ago, Rail Meat said:

I have used them for a mast base halyard turning block.  Dyneema has the same life span of any dyneema.  2 years or 10 k miles.  The block cheeks exploded,  which I think will happen in any capsized.  

So you had a failure? Are you still using them?

I did, but it was not fatal.  Lashing and ferrel were fine.  Halyard slid back into groove.

I ultimately decided the tighter radius of running the halyard through the ferrul rather than around it was fine for that particular use, and did away with the block.  Just some dyneema spliced around the ferrule and lashed to the step 

I’ve got a few Ino aboard now, couresty of a French rigger. Most notable is a 3.6 in my backstay. It’s only been in place for a few months mostly during off-season so no real input on longevity. Super lightweight tho I can’t offer any input on durability yet.