These winds are 9NM south west in the Gulf so ,IMO, the winds will be less in the bayScreenshot (15).png

7 minutes ago, carcrash said:

28378811_1569668713100927_34639476931966

28277355_1569668783100920_68060809521279

28471838_2058983954144352_12009671883414

Holy shit! is this the new Smyth design??

Yes. Its Sizzor version 2

1 minute ago, carcrash said:

Yes. Its Sizzor version 2

Bad ass... freaking surf boards for ama's. I know on Scizzors, the bottom of the ama's were flat so as to splat down on the water. They were also made of home depot pink insulation foam core board. I had a good talk with him about it in his garage one eve.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DaveK said:

Bad ass... freaking surf boards for ama's. I know on Scizzors, the bottom of the ama's were flat so as to splat down on the water. They were also made of home depot pink insulation foam core board. I had a good talk with him about it in his garage one eve.

these ama's have lift strakes...don't know if the old one did...basically they shed water so the total surface of the ama is not in contact with the water at all times

lift.gif

lifts.jpg

Hell, Smyth has probably had lift strakes added to his butt for extra lift! He would do anything for an extra little bit of speed. 

There's not much boat there, is there? Spotting a tiny, low boat with a clear sail might be a challenge.

1 hour ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

There's not much boat there, is there? Spotting a tiny, low boat with a clear sail might be a challenge.

I'm not sure it will even hold together, but Randy is a master at getting the wreckage ashore for repairs.

2 minutes ago, RKoch said:
A Small Craft Advisory means that wind speeds of 21 to 33 knots
are expected to produce hazardous wave conditions to small craft.
Inexperienced mariners...especially those operating smaller
vessels should avoid navigating in these conditions.

No where near SCA wind levels now

I left around 1:30 this afternoon...no sign of Spawn ...did they make it ?

11 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

I left around 1:30 this afternoon...no sign of Spawn ...did they make it ?

I didn't go down there today...busy. AFAIK they're there. I think Amy would have posted on FB if there was some issue. The Moko Jumbie guys posted a beach picture, had Zero the Hero's boat in it. 

2 minutes ago, RKoch said:

I didn't go down there today...busy. AFAIK they're there. I think Amy would have posted on FB if there was some issue. The Moko Jumbie guys posted a beach picture, had Zero the Hero's boat in it. 

the beach was packed with boats....not much room left

23 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

A Small Craft Advisory means that wind speeds of 21 to 33 knots
are expected to produce hazardous wave conditions to small craft.
Inexperienced mariners...especially those operating smaller
vessels should avoid navigating in these conditions.

No where near SCA wind levels now

Might be a gust or two in low 20s during the night. Don't think we'll see that sustained. Very light from north at my house ATM

Could be Spawn on the far right, they added a mast float.

image.jpeg

Start in the AM!

I sure hope someone will live stream, or post to Youtube or something

2 hours ago, RKoch said:

I'm not sure it will even hold together, but Randy is a master at getting the wreckage ashore for repairs.

The thought that we might go from photo boat to rescue boat had crossed my mind. I gave the race mom my cell and told her where we will be.

There is a breeze in the trees...but nothing like SCA /cold front passage  ...there are official SCA issued so my guess is the those will prevail in the USCG decision making....if anyone is on the beach this morning please post Chiefs decree ...before I drive out to Anna Maria...

GMZ830-031715-  Tampa Bay waters-  423 AM EST Sat Mar 3 2018    SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 AM EST THIS MORNING    TODAY  North winds around 15 to 20 knots and around 20 knots near  the mouth of the bay. Bay and inland waters a moderate chop.  TONIGHT  North winds around 15 knots. Bay and inland waters a  moderate chop.  SUNDAY  North winds around 15 knots. Bay and inland waters a  moderate chop.  SUNDAY NIGHT  Northeast winds around 15 knots diminishing to 5 to  10 knots toward morning. Bay and inland waters a moderate chop.  MONDAY  East winds around 10 knots then becoming northwest around  5 knots late in the afternoon. Bay and inland waters a light chop.

thing is if SCA are dropped @ 8AM....the big incoming tide will be a much greater factor then with lighter winds than slack tide @7AM with higher winds

Start delayed until 8 am according to a little birdie who often knows these things.

10 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Start delayed until 8 am according to a little birdie who often knows these things.

I am looking at Ft DeSoto from the north end on Anna Maria steady 12-15 no gusts

Now the rumor mill is saying 9 am start.

The oak trees have decorated my boat and it's too cold to operate a hose so I'm glad for the delay.

Tom, wish you were there to do the beach walk video!!

IDK if they started at 9. Wind at my house is 8-10, no gustier than 12.

Fred Bremen said they started at 9...I had to leave Bean Point...would have been a awesome spot to watch them go by....

Yes, I was just checking FB and they did get off at 9. Not seeing tracker updates yet.

22 minutes ago, DaveK said:

Where on facebook???

It was a post of the Watertribe FB page. And the tracker is showing them on the water.

Tracker hint: Randy Smyth (SewSew) isn't listed in the EC2018 tracker, he's listed in the UF2018 (Ultimate Florida) tracker.

its difficult to follow as the boats update at different times, but it appears Spawn is in 2nd behind Randy. A couple multis and a couple Coresounds close behind. Leaders should be in Gulf now. Fast ride down coast. Entering Stump Pass at 1-2pm?

• Like 1

I assume all competitors must check-in at the checkpoints?  I.e. they can't just start and go all the way to the finish?

3 minutes ago, smokeandoakum said:

I assume all competitors must check-in at the checkpoints?  I.e. they can't just start and go all the way to the finish?

Yes. They must sign in at each check point. 

Spawns tracker finally updated. They're off Longboat Pass doing just under 13kn. A couple miles ahead are a Tornado and Hobie Tiger doing just over 14kn. I assume Randy is well out in front. The second place monohull  appears to be the Coresound 20 Dawn Patrol , many miles behind.

Leaders are probably closer than I first estimated.

At 1055, Randy (SewSew) was at 27.37 Lat, doing 10.7 kn.  At 1045,  the Toronado (Swamp Monkey) was at 27.41 Lat doing 14.35 kn. The Hobie Tiger alongside them. At 1032, Spawn (Two Beers) was at 27.43 Lat doing 12.62 kn. As near as I can roughly calculate, they're all nearly tied.

Behind Spawn is several more multis, inc my buddies on Moko Jumbie just ahead of Arch Angel on the custom tri. 2nd monohull is Dawn Patrol (Dances With Sandy Bottom/SOS) about 6 miles behind Spawn. At 1116 they were at Lat 27.45 doing 8kn.

There's another tracker update in a few minutes. Right now, the order appears to be:

SewSew (custom tri),

Scrappy (Hobie Tiger), Spawn (custom 22' monohull), Swamp Monkey (Toronado) all in a pretty close cluster.

Moko Jumbie (Prindle 19)

Archangle (custom tri),

Seadog Rocket (Nacra Inter 20).

Leaders are south of Big Pass. About 22 miles to Stump Pass where they enter the ICW to CP1.

Tracker is a mess ATM, as some boats haven't pinged in a while. 

Best guess: SewSew is probably a bit south of Venice. I think Swamp Monkey may be in 2nd, they haven't pinged in 2 hrs. Spawn 3rd, Scrappy 4th. That group of 3 are probably still close together, a bit north of Venice.

4 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Fred Bremen said they started at 9...I had to leave Bean Point...would have been a awesome spot to watch them go by....

That is a name that I had not heard in a long time.   Bremen Sails made some of my first high performance wave sails for windsurfing back in the early 80s.

- Stumbling

1 minute ago, stumblingthunder said:

That is a name that I had not heard in a long time.   Bremen Sails made some of my first high performance wave sails for windsurfing back in the early 80s.

- Stumbling

Long time friend ...his brother Tommy is sailing in the Dovkie...team name Halfbaked...I've know them since the 60's

47 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Tracker is a mess ATM, as some boats haven't pinged in a while. 

Best guess: SewSew is probably a bit south of Venice. I think Swamp Monkey may be in 2nd, they haven't pinged in 2 hrs. Spawn 3rd, Scrappy 4th. That group of 3 are probably still close together, a bit north of Venice.

Thank you, RKoch for the close tracking of the race.   I have been following at work the posts here, as well as anything else I can glean from the Interwebs.   I check in and am able to catch up on where they are from your posts.   Its a lot easier than either the Watertribe tracker or the RaceOwl.

- Stumbling

Randy entered Stump Pass at about 225. Pic from FB.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

What is the team name for the electric boat ? 

Rocking Baby. They're the only class 6 entry afaik 

Edit , there's a second entry called Weed Warrior

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Long time friend ...his brother Tommy is sailing in the Dovkie...team name Halfbaked...I've know them since the 60's

Bremen was THE Optimist sail in the late 60s.

• Like 2

Mr Moon has Spawn in sight of Stump Pass.

Among class 4, Spawn leads Dawn Patrol by 12+ miles, a good 2 hours. SAist Zero the Hero sits about 11th of 18, but he may pick off a boat or two that's taking the ICW

RKoch, do you think they will sneak over the bar and run around the north side of the point in the swash channel to get in Stump Pass or beat up the main channel in?

- Stumbling

3 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:

RKoch, do you think they will sneak over the bar and run around the north side of the point in the swash channel to get in Stump Pass or beat up the main channel in?

- Stumbling

They did take the swash channel, and about wiped out. Mr Moon posted video.

Scrappy entered the pass second, about 30 minutes behind Randy. Spawn was about 2 minutes behind Scrappy (Hobie Tiger F-18)

6 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:

I take it that Spawn has taken the monohull record to checkpoint 1 today?

- Stumbling

I don't think there's a record for that, except boats finishing the Ultra Marathon at CP1. They did beat their 2016 time by a couple hours. Averaged about 10 knots...I doubt any monohull has done it quicker. The Tornado is in, about 20 minutes behind Spawn. 

5 minutes ago, MisterMoon said:

@RKoch please reach out to me on FB. 

My FB messenger doesn't work, I'll hit you on your page.

So psyched for my fellow sailing trimaran pal Mark Zollitsch - Archangel - for getting to 1st checkpoint within an hour or so of the other double handers in class 5. Of course Randy is in a league all to himself aboard SewSew! Stay the course Mark and continued safe passage aboard Lil Osprey!

6 minutes ago, trimejust4fun said:

So psyched for my fellow sailing trimaran pal Mark Zollitsch - Archangel - for getting to 1st checkpoint within an hour or so of the other double handers in class 5. Of course Randy is in a league all to himself aboard SewSew! Stay the course Mark and continued safe passage aboard Lil Osprey!

Yes, he's doing well. Right in the middle of some very light and fast beach cats. Tonight's the tough part...if he's able to keep pushing he may catch the tide window at Chocko.

Why does Sew Sew/synergy not show up on the list of challengers or on the tracker ?....he should have ideal conditions tonight...good breeze smoother water and a HUGE moon~~~~~actually it will be great conditions for all...

10 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Why does Sew Sew/synergy not show up on the list of challengers or on the tracker ?....he should have ideal conditions tonight...good breeze smoother water and a HUGE moon~~~~~actually it will be great conditions for all...

You have to switch tracker event to "UF2018". He's doing the Ultimate Florida Challenge.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if SewSew actually portaged/slipped under the Boca Grande Causeway? His Race owl track looks like he is taking the shortest distance !

19 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Yes, he's doing well. Right in the middle of some very light and fast beach cats. Tonight's the tough part...if he's able to keep pushing he may catch the tide window at Chocko.

Yea, whole different ball game going solo eh? Seems as if he was regrouping a bit at the checkpoint as it doesn't look as if he has move on yet! I see he is back under way! Appreciate all of your local knowledge :)

1 minute ago, trimejust4fun said:

Yea, whole different ball game going solo eh? Seems as if he was regrouping a bit at the checkpoint as it doesn't look as if he has move on yet! Appreciate all of your local knowledge :)

It looks like several are taking/took a long rest or minor repairs. Solo is tough, double-handed is much better but still not easy. If Archangel makes it to Key Largo that's quite a feat. Crossing Florida Bay is usually slow and frustrating.

OMG...Randy is hauling azz...Pine Island Sound is smooth today and once out of the pass and back into the Gulf he'll fly down the beach in smooth water

rec.jpg

The bad news for Randy is that low tide at Choko is 1042 tonight, about the time he arrives. He'll be against the tide the whole way in. Spawn and the boats near them should have incoming tide all the way, and be at CP2  before high tide at 346 am. 

21 minutes ago, RKoch said:

The bad news for Randy is that low tide at Choko is 1042 tonight, about the time he arrives. He'll be against the tide the whole way in. Spawn and the boats near them should have incoming tide all the way, and be at CP2  before high tide at 346 am. 

how long is that Choko leg each way?....so Randy could have a foul tide in and out ?.....

Screenshot (17).png

4 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

how long is that Choko leg each way?....so Randy could have a foul tide in and out ?.....

Is that to say that as the tide ebbs the water is flowing in a SE to NW direction up the coast and as it floods it is flowing the opposite. Can't really fathom navigating the Everglades!

45 minutes ago, RKoch said:

It looks like several are taking/took a long rest or minor repairs. Solo is tough, double-handed is much better but still not easy. If Archangel makes it to Key Largo that's quite a feat. Crossing Florida Bay is usually slow and frustrating.

Archangel (Mark) has no desire to cross Florida Bay. I've read so many interesting stories about that crossing and have talked at length to Smyth about how he does it... at night. But Mark told me he wanted to play it safe unless there was good west wind. The "bomb" storm on the east coast is sliding south so he will for sure go outside. I guess it's the safer route.

5 minutes ago, DaveK said:

Archangel (Mark) has no desire to cross Florida Bay. I've read so many interesting stories about that crossing and have talked at length to Smyth about how he does it... at night. But Mark told me he wanted to play it safe unless there was good west wind. The "bomb" storm on the east coast is sliding south so he will for sure go outside. I guess it's the safer route.

Nor'easters typically spin off rapidly into the north Atlantic

17 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

It depends whether you enter Choko Bay at the north end or at Indian Key Pass. It's about 6 miles in, about 3 out Rabbitt Key Pass which is very shallow with oyster bars. Yea, Randy might catch it at the worst window.

Spawn went out Gasparilla Pass and is booking it south of Boca Grande Pass at 11.16 kn. Seadog Rocket (Nacra 9.5 kn) and Scrappy (Hobie Tiger 10.5 kn) are in vicinity.

Sambasailor (Coresound 17) caught Dawn Patrol (Coresound 20) and they're going in Stump Pass to CP1 now. I think they are 2nd and 3rd class 4 boats.

13 minutes ago, trimejust4fun said:

Is that to say that as the tide ebbs the water is flowing in a SE to NW direction up the coast and as it floods it is flowing the opposite. Can't really fathom navigating the Everglades!

Ebb tide flows out the Thousand islands, generally SW direction. Flood the opposite. Down in Fla Bay the tide flows on and off the flats, direction varies. Wind has a big influence, a strong easterly just blows the water out towards the west no matter the tide.

Randy is off the south tip of Pine Island, about to reenter Gulf, doing 13+. Spawn in 2nd, in Gulf abeam of Sanibel doing 12+. Moko Jumbie moved into 3rd, just ahead of Archangel, with Swamp Monkee tailing. They're all in the Gulf, doing about 9.5. Seadog Rocket is heading down Pine Is Sound, doing 8 kn. Scrappy appears to have stopped back at Boca Grande Pass, tracker issue, maybe?

• Like 1

Andyman was the first finisher in the UltraMarathon which finishes at CP1. He was solo in a Sea Pearl 21. Averaged 6+ knots! From same YC as Spawn and Moko Jumbie.

5 hours ago, RKoch said:

They did take the swash channel, and about wiped out. Mr Moon posted video.

Scrappy entered the pass second, about 30 minutes behind Randy. Spawn was about 2 minutes behind Scrappy (Hobie Tiger F-18)

That was a wild jibe on a wave!

The swash channel was blue-green and distinct when we went out it at around noon. It had clouded up some when we went out it to meet Sew Sew. It was downright scary when we went out it to meet the Hobie Tiger and Spawn. Completely clouded up so you couldn't tell where it was shallow until a wave broke. We took a couple over the bow and one over the stern out there. Steep and nasty!

• Like 2

Tried to juggle the UF tracker and EC tracker, and the different ping times. As near as I can tell Spawn and Randy are about the same latitude, with Spawn about 12 miles further offshore. Rough guess, Spawn is about 3-4 miles behind. It's going to be a horse race.

Hmmm...might be an issue. Randy's last 2 pings 10 min apart both showed less than 1kn speed. Distance barely changed. I don't think it's a tracker glitch. Possible boat problem? Worth keeping an eye on. Spawn is still trucking offshore at 10 knots. If last pings are correct, they are even with Randy. Moko Jumbie is leading the trailing pack, but Seadog Rocket may come out of Pine Is Sound in good shape. 

Damn tracker hasn't updated Randy or Spawn in over an hour. Grrrr....

From the last track it looks like Spawn is leading with Moko Jumbie not too far behind? 

24 minutes ago, ~HHN92~ said:

From the last track it looks like Spawn is leading with Moko Jumbie not too far behind? 

Neither Randy or Spawn has been pinged by tracker in over 2 hours. IDK what's up. Randy doesn't appear on EC tracker b/c he's in UF tracker. The rest of the boats are tracking, Moko J is in 3rd....Swamp Monkee gaining. I'm guessing Spawn is south of Naples with Randy a bit ahead. 

And now that I posted that, Spawn finally pinged. They're off Naples, about 8.4 miles ahead of Moko. Spawn-4.5 kn, Moko 7.1 kn. breeze may be getting patchy. Randy still hasn't pinged since 8:25

No ping from Randy in 3 hours. IDK where he is. Swamp Monkee is hauling ass,11kn, and has overhauled Moko J for 3rd. They look to be 4 or 5 miles behind Spawn, I can't get a handle on Spawn's speed. I think the sailors may miss the tide window at Choko...gonna be ugly.

As of about 11:15,

Randy is somewhere out front. Vicinity of Marcos Is as a wild guess. Spawn is 2nd, doing 8.4, about 5 miles ahead of Swamp Monkee doing 12.5. Mojo J is a couple miles behind SM, doing about 8. Archangel is 5th and starting to lag behind, doing 6.5. No one else is close. DWSB/SOS in the Coresound 20 are picking off boats that stopped, they're still in Pine Is Sound though. About 45 boats have cleared through CP1.

Sounds like Randy is out. Word just went out on FB looking for somebody to pick him up at the Ft Myers CG station.

Swamp Monkee got by Spawn to be new leader, IDK why Spawn is off the pace.