1 minute ago, RKoch said:

In 2014 two beers wrote in the date and time at CP3 logbook, but forgot to sign his name. Badly fatigued, nearly 48 hours with no sleep. It was a long time until that was all corrected.

A little background on Moko... DeSea won back to back Sunfish Junior North American Championships over 25 years ago. CCock has only been sailing about 18 months. He bought the boat with intent of doing EC with DeSea teaching him to sail and organize the effort. Both are EC rookies...though they were on the beach last year but punted after the start fiasco. That was probably good, as they spent the past year training and working on the boat. Much better prepared now.

Bravo !

Spawn logged in at CP3 at 5:59pm. Moko must have beaten them in but they're not recorded. Moko's tracker hasn't updated in several hours.

I've got a million DeSea stories...one of the funniest: Back in the 80s there used to be a YC Challenge, with all the regional YCs sending teams in 6 or 7 one-design classes. It was cutthroat...SPYC would send peep like John Jennings and Ed Baird. One year DeSea was DIYCs Optimist entry, I was in Snipes. After one race I was luffing  near the committee boat when DeSea sailed up, stood up in his Opti (he's really tall) and hollered at us "Hey, you guys got an extra beer?" I had to reply "DeSea, you can't say that where the RC can hear you"

Currently off north Naples. I think. Great evening. Been a handful of an event. Last night the last 3 miles to Venice were white knuckle. Helped assist a cpsized boat in big waves and wind. Never been so glad to make a pass and get inside. Today has been much easier

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Not a lot of details but one would assume that the fix wing sail was destroyed and his boat probably isn't self rescue from a capsize but I'm not sure of that as they enforce self rescue as part of the rules.

1 minute ago, DaveK said:

Not a lot of details but one would assume that the fix wing sail was destroyed and his boat probably isn't self rescue from a capsize but I'm not sure of that as they enforce self rescue as part of the rules.

Maybe the surfboard Amas were so buoyant he couldn't right it from an inverted position?

3 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Maybe the surfboard Amas were so buoyant he couldn't right it from an inverted position?

I'd think the air in the wing would provide a lot of initial buoyancy...then when/if filled with water a huge problem....interesting to learn what happened ...

9 minutes ago, RKoch said:

So I was at wetafest in Ft. Walton years ago (2012?) and a couple of boats t-boned badly and Randy was asked to fix it. We hung out at his house while he fix the badly damaged boat and Scizzors was there. So I asked him a lot of questions about it. Notice that the ama's are very small and they where made of Home Depot pink foam core board. Very thin and not sturdy at all. His response to that was it is submersible, therefore self rescuing. A Weta's ama is also very thin so it can be submersed. I hadn't thought about that until he made that observation. So he knows wtf he is doing (obviously) and those surf boards for ama's must have been considered to be submersible to self rescue.

Would not surprise me if Spawn and Moko were resting up in CP3, waiting for moonrise to tackle Fla Bay.

Just heard from Spawns road crew. She talked to Moko's road crew. Moko hit CP3 about 4ish, and left pretty quickly after. Spawn got to CP3 at 5:59, and is currently underway.  Both teams having tracking problems. 

Here's my video of Scrappy/Fidget (Hobie 20) and Twobeers/Moresailesed (Spawn) entering Stump Pass only seconds apart yesterday afternoon around a little after 300 pm. It's kind of old news now though. I figured I've been outed for years anyway. 

Edited to correct cat crew names. Sorry. 

They aren't showing up on WT tracker, but RaceOwl Tracker shows Spawn taking a modified route across Fla Bay, heading somewhat SE from Flamingo. Moko's SPoT doesn't appear to be pinging. They replaced batteries at CP3, didn't seem to fix problem. They are underway somewhere though. Barring problems, I'd expect them in Key Largo between midnight and 2 am.

1 minute ago, MisterMoon said:

Here's my video of the current leader Ccock/DeSea (Hobie 20) and Twobeers/Moresailesed (Spawn) entering Stump Pass only seconds apart yesterday afternoon around a little after 300 pm. It's kind of old news now though. I figured I've been outed for years anyway. 

Mr Moon, the Hobie Tiger is Scrappy. CCock/DeSea were about 20 minutes behind Spawn, in a Prindle 19.

Mr Moon, the Hobie Tiger is Scrappy. CCock/DeSea were about 20 minutes behind Spawn, in a Prindle 19.

Edited to correct it. Thanks. 

8 minutes ago, RKoch said:

They aren't showing up on WT tracker, but RaceOwl Tracker shows Spawn taking a modified route across Fla Bay, heading somewhat SE from Flamingo. Moko's SPoT doesn't appear to be pinging. They replaced batteries at CP3, didn't seem to fix problem. They are underway somewhere though. Barring problems, I'd expect them in Key Largo between midnight and 2 am.

Spots are "waterproof" but better put them in a dry bag because they are known to perish from salt poisoning. 

• Like 2

Got a text from the guy who won the Ultra Marathon in a Sea Pearl. He said he was surfing at 10 knot peaks until Venice, where the waves built up and he was hitting solid 12s. In a Sea Pearl! That's nuts.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Got a text from the guy who won the Ultra Marathon in a Sea Pearl. He said he was surfing at 10 knot peaks until Venice, where the waves built up and he was hitting solid 12s. In a Sea Pearl! That's nuts.

that is scary.....no room for error ....

Team Moko Jumbie (CCock and DeSea) coming in CP3. EC leaders!

edit: pic from FB, I think it was by their road crew.

image.jpeg

6 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Spawn appears to be taking the shorter route from last ping

Kind of a mutant route. They took that way in 2016, but in daylight. Starts out like the short route, then goes SE through some swash channels until it meets up with ICW.

1 minute ago, RKoch said:

Kind of a mutant route. They took that way in 2016, but in daylight. Starts out like the short route, then goes SE through some swash channels until it meets up with ICW.

they must have either good data or memories   ;-)~~~~~~~

Just now, SailBlueH2O said:

they must have either good data or memories   ;-)~~~~~~~

More like nightmares from 2014, when they became lost and disoriented, and waded for hours pulling boat in water too shallow to even row in, looking for a swash channel. They did more scouting before 2016. It's a huge difference-maker.

Third place is shaping up to be nip and tuck between SwampMonkee and Archangel, with Dawn Patrol not far behind.

15 minutes ago, RKoch said:

That's a scary route. Some friends got stuck near there at Curlew Key for a few days before getting rescued in 2011. Took them two weeks to recover the boat. They must have some recent scouting and some well plotted routes programmed into the chartplotter to attempt it at night. But all that being said, I think they they are through the scariest skinniest part. Once they get into Whipray Basin I'd think they will head for Coon Key Pass and then to the pass just north or Calusa Key to Jimmie Channel. From that point on they'll be home free to go to the finish. Well, as home free as you get down there, because there's a few more shallow bits to avoid before the finish. 

• Like 1

I wish Moko's tracker was working, so we could see what route they are taking. 

Spawn's 9:22 ping shows them at the southern edge of Whipray Basin, near the Whipray Keys.

I hope the Moko guys don't get too lost and confused. Fla Bay is the trickiest navigation of the EC, and it comes at the end when peep are fatigued, lack of sleep, etc. Really need a couple of simple optional routes, clearly waypointed, to follow to avoid mistakes.

• Like 1

\

6 minutes ago, RKoch said:

I hope the Moko guys don't get too lost and confused. Fla Bay is the trickiest navigation of the EC, and it comes at the end when peep are fatigued, lack of sleep, etc. Really need a couple of simple optional routes, clearly waypointed, to follow to avoid mistakes.

Having clear routes is one thing. Being able to follow them is another. Especially in the dark. And even more especially in area where if you go off the line on your plotter by 20 feet, you are stuck. My experience doing this in the dark is that you have have to go slow, communicate well with your partner, and maintain really high situational awareness. It's hard to do at 2-3 knots and you still bounce off the edges of the channels from time to time, I can't imagine going faster. It's pretty exhausting to do, and if you're tired before you start, well it can get interesting. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MisterMoon said:

\

Having clear routes is one thing. Being able to follow them is another. Especially in the dark. And even more especially in area where if you go off the line on your plotter by 20 feet, you are stuck. My experience doing this in the dark is that you have have to go slow, communicate well with your partner, and maintain really high situational awareness. It's hard to do at 2-3 knots and you still bounce off the edges of the channels from time to time, I can't imagine going faster. It's pretty exhausting to do, and if you're tired before you start, well it can get interesting. 

Yep... it all goes well until it doesn’t... then you don’t know for sure how to get out or are you making things worse... I think Spawn has very good data stored 

• Like 1

Well, since updates are in short supply at the moment, I'll post this short vid of Spawn on day 1 back in 2016. They were hauling ass...

Scuttlebutt has an article on Randy Smyth's rescue with a pic, the boat turtled: www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2018/03/04/hall-famer-randy-smyth-rescued/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook 

Yep. It is about the place where the gate into the  other world is. Wayfarer(kayaker) spent 2 days trying to get out. He had compass, gps, charts. Got totally disoriented. His gps track showed just round after round hour after hour going in the same place. I was there is a middle of a day in nice weather and still I saw the gate..

• Like 2

Just posted on FB that Randy was able to locate and recover his boat today. Takeaway quote "Like finding a needle in a haystack". 

• Like 3

That's amazing! Hat's off to those guys. Fuck, and they made good time across Fla Bay, too.

Just now, RKoch said:

That's amazing! Hat's off to those guys. Fuck, and they made good time across Fla Bay, too.

They went 'stealth mode' on us like the VOR boats...

I'm back on line.  Yes, looks like spawn is following the middle route.   There are better bailout options on that route to the E-SE if they get headed and can't make E-NE readily.  

Once they make it through the last reef, they are home free to the Motel.

- Stumbling

Spawn is very close to finish, just a few more miles. Good job by them too, recovering from their mishaps and pressing on.

Just occurred to me...when Spawn set the class 4 record in 2016, that was triple up. They're still going to set a 2-man class 4 record this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RKoch said:

They too must have had good intel of the bay eh .. Even if they are 1st timers! Made it look easy in the dark ;-) Hope they will share a bit of their story!

Spawn was doing 9 kts 30 min ago with only a couple of miles to go at last update. They must be on the beach by now!

Race owl ping says they are in at 0030

6 minutes ago, trimejust4fun said:

Spawn was doing 9 kts 30 min ago with only a couple of miles to go at last update. They must be on the beach by now!

I would think so. Hasn't been anything posted on FB yet by Watertribe or his wife.

I would think so. Hasn't been anything posted on FB yet by Watertribe or his wife.

Latest Race Owl ping shows the on the beach at 0030!

The next several boats are working their way to CP3. Dawn Patrol will def cross Fla Bay at night. IDK about the others.

22 minutes ago, RKoch said:

The next several boats are working their way to CP3. Dawn Patrol will def cross Fla Bay at night. IDK about the others.

Looks line Archangel has put ashore at East Cape! He pinged twice in the same spot and then hit the beach! Maybe the breeze filled in? Hoping all is well. He commented he could not experience another 25 knot night like last night. He's the leading solo adventurer!

There is a limit how long one person can go without sleep. I guess, Archangel hit his limit,  He did exceptionally well so far. I wish him good night of sleep. Entering Florida Bay/Flamingo at night is no fun.    There are shallows, tides and quite significult change in wind normally as soon as one rounded the capes. 

8 hours ago, DaveK said:

So I was at wetafest in Ft. Walton years ago (2012?) and a couple of boats t-boned badly and Randy was asked to fix it. We hung out at his house while he fix the badly damaged boat and Scizzors was there. So I asked him a lot of questions about it. Notice that the ama's are very small and they where made of Home Depot pink foam core board. Very thin and not sturdy at all. His response to that was it is submersible, therefore self rescuing. A Weta's ama is also very thin so it can be submersed. I hadn't thought about that until he made that observation. So he knows wtf he is doing (obviously) and those surf boards for ama's must have been considered to be submersible to self rescue.

He told me that the righting procedure for Sizzor involved folding the boat and then rolling it and then unfolding it again.

Glad he got the boat back. I was going to offer to go help search but figured it would be pointless. Finding something like that in the ocean is damn near impossible.

SOS and itsanothersailor have both recently left CP3. Looks like they're heading east, on a direct route. They should arrive at Key Largo before noon. 

3 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

He told me that the righting procedure for Sizzor involved folding the boat and then rolling it and then unfolding it again.

Glad he got the boat back. I was going to offer to go help search but figured it would be pointless. Finding something like that in the ocean is damn near impossible.

I may be wrong but I don't think this years boat scissors...

This event simply does not get the wide spread credit and recognition it deserves.....but maybe that is a good thing....I am in awe !

When does this race officially end and how far into it is Bonita Beach?....8am Monday morning a single kyak with a small head sail and a stout monohull with two traditional sails just went by....not much wind here...

Bonita Beach is about halfway. Official end is 7 am Sunday. Most will either finish or drop out long before then. Anyone who isn't past you by tonight probably won't finish, if history is a guide. They have until Wednesday to make it to Chokoloskee. I don't have a good feel about the attrition rate, yet. Seems fairly average right now. 

34 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

This event simply does not get the wide spread credit and recognition it deserves.....but maybe that is a good thing....I am in awe !

It is awesome indeed.

FB- Doug

• Like 1

9:30 am Monday...an interesting boat just went by....I have no idea if it's in the race....looked like about 20-22ft with six very large solar panels on top and I would guess an electric motor....two guys going south

10 minutes ago, shavdog said:

9:30 am Monday...an interesting boat just went by....I have no idea if it's in the race....looked like about 20-22ft with six very large solar panels on top and I would guess an electric motor....two guys going south

Yeah that is in the race... I’ll post a photo when I get home.. total solar powered 

54 minutes ago, shavdog said:

solar.jpg

solbat.jpg

Those two guys looked really comfortable.....maybe too much for this event.....just saying

17 minutes ago, shavdog said:

Those two guys looked really comfortable.....maybe too much for this event.....just saying

Terminally boring....

44 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Terminally boring....

Some people might consider it electrifying.

11 hours ago, RKoch said:

Yep, just posted on FB a couple minutes ago.

Image may contain: one or more people, night and outdoor

That was my view of it heading off the beach at Ft. Desoto...

Finishers so far, by boat type:

1) Prindle 19 cat

2) Custom 22' monohull sloop

3) Coresound 20 cat-ketch monohull

4) Windrider tri.

• Like 1

What happened to Swamp Monkee?  That's RW on the Tornado right?  How they end up so far back?  Didn't see anything on the Tribe Book of Faces page... 

1 minute ago, Wess said:

What happened to Swamp Monkee?  That's RW on the Tornado right?  How they end up so far back?  Didn't see anything on the Tribe Book of Faces page... 

They made a navigational blunder at Cape Romano...went way outside and south, so they had to beat upwind to get back to Indian Key Pass that leads into Choko. I don't think they've moved from CP2 after that.

8 minutes ago, RKoch said:

They made a navigational blunder at Cape Romano...went way outside and south, so they had to beat upwind to get back to Indian Key Pass that leads into Choko. I don't think they've moved from CP2 after that.

I looked at their track and it looks like they tried to leave Choko but they turned around and came back after about a mile.

- Stumbling

45 minutes ago, ~HHN92~ said:

That was my view of it heading off the beach at Ft. Desoto...

Except stickyback covered the transom drains then. 

Its interesting that Dawn Patrol's finish time was 2 hours longer this year than their 2013 record pace.   They seem to run a consistent race.

- Stumbling

46 minutes ago, RKoch said:

1) Prindle 19 cat

4) Windrider tri.

I am really amazed that the Windrider finished as well as it did.   I would think that would have been a long, wet ride in that cockpit.  

At first I was thinking that you were meaning a Windrider Rave foiler.   That would have been a feat to accomplish that course in a Rave.

- Stumbling

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:
54 minutes ago, RKoch said:

1) Prindle 19 cat

4) Windrider tri.

I am really amazed that the Windrider finished as well as it did.   I would think that would have been a long, wet ride in that cockpit.  

At first I was thinking that you were meaning a Windrider Rave foiler.   That would have been a feat to accomplish that course in a Rave.

Respect....... congrats to all the finishers

Interesting that the Windrider came in ahead of so many "faster" boats. Hope we get a chance to hear his story of the event. Where's ZtH & Son?

FB- Doug

10 minutes ago, CrazyR said:

This year’s start was delayed 2 hours. I’m not sure if results reflect it yet.

Not sure, but I think the clock continues to run during weather holds. Last year's times seem to have started Sat AM, even though the race started Sunday AM at CP1.