weedwarrior the solar cruiser ....lot of windage in these conditions

GMZ031-090345-
Florida Bay including Barnes Sound, Blackwater Sound, and
Buttonwood Sound-
437 PM EST Thu Mar 8 2018

Northwest to north winds 15 to 20 knots, increasing to
near 20 knots after midnight. Bay waters choppy, becoming rough.  <<< Thursday night

North winds near 20 knots, becoming east and decreasing <<<<< Friday early morning
to 10 to 15 knots in the afternoon. Bay waters rough, becoming a
light to moderate chop.

East to southeast winds 10 to 15 knots. Bay waters
a light to moderate chop.

weedw.jpg

weeedw.jpg

Not sure if Matt (Wizard) can scull the smaller boat from this year, but he could really get a good pace going with the ENIGMA. There is a video on YouTube of him going up the river in Ga that shows better how whether he is sculling or stand up paddling he rock the boat side to side and put his keel runners to use like this guy shows at about 3 minutes in.

47 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Nice. I wonder which DJI he is using? Seems like plug and play with live FB vid voice over. Pretty cool.... I may need to upgrade. I have old shit with big ass video antennas and heavy freaking drone.

weedwarrior

I'm guessing a night on the beach with a campfire......Florida Bay is cold,windy and nasty tonight

Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 6.53.36 PM.png

2 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

weedwarrior

I'm guessing a night on the beach with a campfire......Florida Bay is cold,windy and nasty tonight

Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 6.53.36 PM.png

Fuck, it's downwind to the finish, he can make it in 90 minutes.  Must be running low on electrons.

2 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Fuck, it's downwind to the finish, he can make it in 90 minutes.  Must be running low on electrons.

it was just my guess they were stopping based on the the past few pings....some of the FB WT photos of boats arriving late this afternoon showed a nasty angry bay for small boats....I'm guessing weedwarrior is playing it safe...and yes battery strength is probably a factor....I don't know if they have been traveling at night....yesterday was cloudy and rainy and today high overcast 

2 hours ago, Fat Point Jack said:
12 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

From the FB page of the designer/sailor of RoG:

Crazy Tribers. 48 hours? Are we having fun yet?

I finally put the video of Synergy on Vimeo:

Ball Park on speed?

My guess was that we were averaging 13-15 on our GPS most of the time we were chasing him.

The top half of the soft part of the sail was barely working. He appeared to be concentrating on finding his way more than going fast.

At the end of the video, you can see him take off on a surfing run and start to leave us behind. I recognize the sound made by our engine in the background. I just told it to go 20 knots, so that's how fast I thought I needed to go at that moment to overtake him again and maintain a good camera range. So he probably accelerated to 18 or so on that spurt of speed.

1 hour ago, Rasputin22 said:

Not sure if Matt (Wizard) can scull the smaller boat from this year, but he could really get a good pace going with the ENIGMA. There is a video on YouTube of him going up the river in Ga that shows better how whether he is sculling or stand up paddling he rock the boat side to side and put his keel runners to use like this guy shows at about 3 minutes in.

I saw on FB that he has no sculling oar for Elusion. Just an SUP paddle. With which he's able to keep up with Watertribers in sea kayaks.

He's just taunting those who believe in physics and math.

58 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

it was just my guess they were stopping based on the the past few pings....some of the FB WT photos of boats arriving late this afternoon showed a nasty angry bay for small boats....I'm guessing weedwarrior is playing it safe...and yes battery strength is probably a factor....I don't know if they have been traveling at night....yesterday was cloudy and rainy and today high overcast 

Yeah, getting there in the nasty chop in the dark sounds unfun. They found a good hiding place that's probably much more pleasant sleeping than Key Largo. Plenty of time to finish tomorrow.

And in the masochist roundup, the guy sailing the Finn finished yesterday and a guy paddling an SUP finished a few hours ago.

I'm pretty sure I could not complete the course in a Finn nor on an SUP. If I could, I'm not sure what might make me want to do it.

26 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

And in the masochist roundup, the guy sailing the Finn finished yesterday and a guy paddling an SUP finished a few hours ago.

I'm pretty sure I could not complete the course in a Finn nor on an SUP. If I could, I'm not sure what might make me want to do it.

I like to think could do a Finn, but I'd be hating life. As for the SUP, no way. Anyone who does it on a SUP is nuts. And one tough badass MFer. 

63 finishers so far, and up to 8 more. Pretty mild year. 

One of the SUPs finished. Don't know about the other.

Captjackotter in a weta has been the last hours doing 1.5 kt going around the cape to cp3. Dismasted and paddling? 

1 hour ago, sail(plane) said:

Captjackotter in a weta has been the last hours doing 1.5 kt going around the cape to cp3. Dismasted and paddling? 

He's recorded as DNF b/c he didn't make the time limit for Cp3. Have no idea what issues he may or may not have. Weather permitting, the Rangers are pretty nice about fetching small boaters having problems.

There's a concurrent challenge running with the EC and Ultimate Florida right now called the Florida Coastal Challenge. The event runs from the Alabama line all the way around Florida to Fort Clinch on Amelia Island. Three people were going to do it: Roger Mann, Jarhead, and a Core Sound 17 sailor William Highsmith who goes by the tribal name Swimboy. Roger Mann dropped out before the start due to work commitments and Jarhead went about 30 miles before coming down with the flu and withdrew. 

Swimboy started from Cotton Bayou on February 22 nd has been sailing (and rowing) ever since. Right now he's on the ICW, about two hours out of Key Largo. He's got a pretty good story to tell already. He was trying to make the EC start on Saturday, but due to headwinds and a lot of rowing in the panhandle he was running behind. On Friday night before the EC start he was sailing the rhumb line between Cedar Key and Clearwater. He got into some heavy winds and his rudder failed about 12-15 miles offshore and well north of Anclote Key. He was able to rig up an oar to steer but only with great effort. He called Paula the Race Mom on Saturday afternoon to tell her he was probably going to have to drop out. This was while he was still well offshore and north of Anclote. I happened to be standing there and Paula handed the phone to me (a CS17 sailor)  to ascertain what happened and if anything could be done.  Basically, he lost the blade of his rudder and the head had some damage. Talking to him you could tell he was really struggling to steer the boat. I told him I'd see if I could help him fix his rudder but he needed to get to safety first. I made some calls to a couple friends in the area and we found a local man who had two CS-17s and he offered to loan Swimboy a rudder. Swimboy finally made it to one of the spoil islands north of Honeymoon Beach and anchored for the night, utterly spent. Long story short, Swimboy got a new rudder the next morning on Dunedin Causeway and was able to continue. He has a deadline of tomorrow morning to make Key Largo and he's just going to make it. He's a badass for making it this far and through this much adversity. I don't know if he's going to continue on up the east coast of Florida to Ft. Clinch, but I hope he does. 

1 hour ago, RKoch said:

He's recorded as DNF b/c he didn't make the time limit for Cp3. Have no idea what issues he may or may not have. Weather permitting, the Rangers are pretty nice about fetching small boaters having problems.

If he finished by Sunday morning, he'll still be counted as a finisher. But I have to say his track is troubling. He's in range of the cell tower at Flamingo, hopefully he's in communication with Paula and his loved ones to explain what's going on. The wind fills in from the E tomorrow and pretty strong, so it's going to be work to make it KL in time. The door to the easy route so many enjoyed yesterday and Thursday is closed now. 

SOS reports on the wt forum that he's moving again now and is a few miles from Flamingo.

SOS also posted two interesting videos on FB. He took Elusion for a sail and took video, then he did a for sale video for Dawn Partol. Yes, he got the name wrong, so you can go find it on youtube.

That caused my Polynavicular Morbus to kick in really bad and I barely slept last night.

13 hours ago, MisterMoon said:

I like to think could do a Finn, but I'd be hating life. As for the SUP, no way. Anyone who does it on a SUP is nuts. And one tough badass MFer. 

The guy in the Finn appears to be older than I am so maybe when I grow up?

51 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:
14 hours ago, MisterMoon said:

When I was young and tough (mid--20s) I sailed a Finn for 2~4 hours at a time, in Lake Michigan for a couple months and in Panama once. I felt beaten down afterwards. My vote would be that both the Finn and the SUP EC'ers are tough bad-ass MFers (with a nod to the SUP).

FB- Doug

2 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

He's older than me. (53) 

Swimboy made Key Largo early this morning.

Congrads to the racers, some great stories. Thanks Koch for the posts.

• Like 1

Swimboy, doing the Florida Coastal Challenge, reported capsized his CS17 and broke both masts. He's ashore and ok.

3 hours ago, RKoch said:

Swimboy, doing the Florida Coastal Challenge, reported capsized his CS17 and broke both masts. He's ashore and ok.

He's had quite a struggle. I wonder if he'll continue? You just know that the watertribe can make two CS 17 masts appear somehow if he wants to carry on.

Comment on FB from the Bolger Sneakeasy crew:

Made it to KL with 40% battery, Friday morning was real cloudy. We had 8 panels(1000 Watts), 6 batteries (300 ah). We could run at 1/3 to 1/2 throttle during the day. We could cruise at night for about 30 miles. We started with a full charge.

They get the luxury liner award for sure.

57 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

He's had quite a struggle. I wonder if he'll continue? You just know that the watertribe can make two CS 17 masts appear somehow if he wants to carry on.

Weather looks shitty the next few days, so it's unlikely he could sail anyway. He might be able to dig up a couple masts in that time. If they broke at the partners, he might be able to shorten them and sail with reefs in. 

Paula said he's dropping out.

Weedwarrior reports that the Sneakeasy went "4-6 mph" at their daylight throttle setting. Better than I would have expected.

On 3/10/2018 at 7:53 AM, Uncooperative Tom said:

SOS reports on the wt forum that he's moving again now and is a few miles from Flamingo.

SOS also posted two interesting videos on FB. He took Elusion for a sail and took video, then he did a for sale video for Dawn Partol. Yes, he got the name wrong, so you can go find it on youtube.

That caused my Polynavicular Morbus to kick in really bad and I barely slept last night.

Yeah, mine too. I’m driving down to look at her Saturday. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Illegal Smile said:

Yeah, mine too. I’m driving down to look at her Saturday. 

I looked at the boat budget and determined that looking at the boat would be unnecessary.

Come to think of it, looking at the boat wouldn't be necessary either way.

On 3/5/2018 at 1:44 PM, stumblingthunder said:

I am really amazed that the Windrider finished as well as it did.   I would think that would have been a long, wet ride in that cockpit.  

At first I was thinking that you were meaning a Windrider Rave foiler.   That would have been a feat to accomplish that course in a Rave.

- Stumbling

The Windrider was very dry & bulletproof! We should have finished 3rd over-all but due to 2 navigational errors we fell behind Dawn Patrol. Our hats off to them for pushing past us.

justanother sailor

On 3/5/2018 at 1:44 PM, stumblingthunder said:

• Like 1

From justanothersailor: I posted this on it's own thread, I faile dto check that the EC 2018 had it's own... duh!

Everglades Challendge Recap

Class 5 The Flying Windrider 17

When looking for an adventure sometimes one becomes lucky enough to really experience one. The Everglades Challenge 2018 truly lived up to it's name for the 100+ teams entered this year's event greeted the competitors with bright sunshine, cool temperatures, both incredible sunrises and sunsets and very strong winds out of the North to Northeast. Our boat entered is a Windrider 17 a simple roto molded trimaran our team “Team Key West” was skippered by Birch Ohinger and crew by yours truly Guy deBoer. We are entered in Class 5 the multi hull division of 14 boats. When I looked at the different designs in our class and even the entire fleet I estimated that we may finish as high as 11th in class and about 20th overall. Needless to say our 2nd in class and 4th overall was not expected but proved at least in our minds is a well prepared team and boat can sail beyond one's greatest expectations. Just how did we finish so high, here are the details.

The Everglades Challenge Start, Fort de Soto Beach March 3rd

The Saturday morning 7AM start was delayed 2 hours as the event organizer waited for the winds to settle down a little making the passage through the commercial shipping channel safe for both competitors and shipping traffic alike. The Race did start at 9am with every sailing team directed that we needed to start the race with at least one reef in our mainsail. We could only shake out the reef after we crossed the Tampa Bay shipping channel. As the starting horn sounded we launched our boat off the beach and made easy progress towards the opening of the Gulf of Mexico. The winds across the bay were less than expected and we shook out the reef before we entered the Gulf. We entered the Gulf through Passage Key Inlet and headed south to our first check point at Englewood (67 miles). Looking around we were just about where I expected us to be in fleet position 10th or 11th. The wind was out of the North at 10-12 kts but we had to sail dead downwind. It's a slow point of sail, looking at our options Mac Quiver popped into my head and we fashioned a whisker-pole to hold out our scheecher thereby doubling our effective sail area. We increased our speed and velocity made good towards the next mark, (Stump Pass) the entrance to Englewood. Crossing a sandbar entrance from the Gulf can be challenging with breaking waves crashing over very shallow sandbars. We crossed the Stump Bar literally 100 feet from the beach. The sound of crashing waves can be loud and intimidating but we punched through and in less than 2 minutes we were into the calm waters of the Inter-coastal Waterway. In about 20 minutes we pulled into Cape Haze Marina home of Check Point 1. Here we discovered we were in 11th place over-all. Behind faster multi hulls and 2 mono hulls. So far so good. Birch & I accomplished a fast turn around and headed south down the Inter coastal just as the last light in the sky was disappearing as we sailed to the next inlet south (Little Gasparila) to reenter the Gulf repeating passing through the steep seas. This time we're headed directly into the chaos, again the sounds and spray makes one think again just how sane is this? We made it out OK but we did bump the bottom a few times. The next stop is Chocoloskee Check Point 2 95 miles south. This is the longest of the 4 legs in the race. Again as we turned south, we put up the whisker-pole as and sailed into an ever increasing northerly wind. When Birch told me he had purchased a Windrider 17 for the race I was very suspect of his choice. At first I was not a fan, but we did sail the boat several times before this race and I grew to appreciate both it's performance potential and I believe in it's bullet proof design & construction. The next 17 hours will prove if my initial feeling are correct. Throughout the night the winds and seas increased. But Birch & I just kept plowing on. Never once did we feel that the boat or or safety were an issue. 17 Hours on the open sea with temperatures dropping waves and spray crashing into us began to take it's toll. I was very cold and so was Birch. By sunrise we had passed Marco Island and made the turn East into more shallow water of Chocoloskee Sound and entrance to Chocoloskee at Indian Key. By now we are excited to see how we did over night, did we pass anyone or were we passed by other teams? The Everglades mangrove channels are narrow and twisted and we entered with an adverse outgoing tide but soon we noticed a boat up ahead. It was Archangel and his very fast 23' trimaran, Birch & I cannot believe we caught this boat but we had and even passed him as we sailed closer to Check Point 2. A short time later we came around another bend and there to our amazement we we passed a Tornado 20 catamaran, another much faster design. Chocoloskee is just around the corner and when we finish we discover we are 4th over-all!!!!! This is to hard to believe but it is true. Birch had gotten water into his dry-suit overnight,our stop was just over 1 hours here as he had a shower and dried out his suit.

Leg 3 to Flamingo Sunday 11:30AM

The Tornado left the check point before us and Archangel asked to follow us out into the Gulf for he was a newbie to the Race. Again we were treated with another sunny day with a light Northerly wind. The forecast was for the wind to increase to over 20 kts. But throughout the afternoon the breeze stayed at about 10 kts. As we approached Cape Sable the light began to fall and the wind increased.. As we rounded the Cape and headed East toward Flamingo the wind came on strong. Finally we considered reefing again but decided that as we got closer to Flamingo we would sail into more protected waters and stay the course, keep pushing! 8 ½ hours after rounding Cape Sable we sailed into Flamingo at 2:30AM. The Check Point volunteers confirmed that Archangel anchored for the night after rounding Cape Sable but Team SOS in their Core Sound 20' were right on our heals. As we headed out to cross Florida Bay SOS were right on our tail, the race is on! We were very lucky as we caught the high tide for with a strong north wind it tends to blow the water out of the bay, making a very shallow bay and its channels even more challenging. By now Birch & I have been racing since early Saturday morning and it is now the wee hours on Monday. Tired & cold is a little hard to describe but you can imagine. But by now the adrenaline is kicking in and we're off to the finish now just 38 miles away. With SOS we now sail side by side through Florida Bay and the ever closer finish. First through Tin Can Channel then Buoy Key then onto the Dump Keys. These are all locations with the deepest channel to cross the Bay. Even with the high tide we drag our main hull across many shallow banks barely making it at times and once or twice we had to get out to push. After Dump Key we extended a sizable lead over SOS. We then turned south around the End Keys and miraculously found the Buttonwood Cut without any problems, on to Calussa Key Channel. Here is where a few problems developed and all self made. First we missed the next channel Jimmy and sailed about 1 ½ miles out of our way. By now SOS had caught us. But the winds were strong and we again pulled ahead. Now we are only 9.6 miles from the finish. But again we made an error and sailed further south than needed. SOS cut a corner and sailed in front of us. By now the had run out of race course and had to settle finishing behind SOS for 4th overall & 2nd in Class.

Looking back at the race it is hard to image Birch & I had sailed a great race. I do not believe that another roto-moulded design had finished with a better over-all time. I'm grateful for Chief and the Watertribe volunteers for another great event. The Everglades Challenge is a adventure race and we all tripartite knowing there are risks and as competitors we accept them. Sadly, the Tribe last a competitor in this year's race. BueJay (aka Thad Rice) was discovered beside his kayak unresponsive. Birch & I offer condolences to all Triber's and his friends and family.

For myself, can't wait for next year's Everglades Challenge!

justanothersailor & At Wits End

www.watertribe.com

• Like 1

Awesome story, thanks for posting this. The EC is definately on my bucket list. 

3 hours ago, Mizzmo said:

Awesome story, thanks for posting this. The EC is definately on my bucket list. 

sponge and bucket list

;-)

On 3/13/2018 at 7:50 PM, MisterMoon said:

Just buy her. You know you will.  Worth it too. 

It's a fascinating boat. I'm also looking at a Welsford Pathfinder while I'm down there. In other news, my Ericson 35-2 is on the market (and yes, I'll buy an ad, as soon as I get some good photos taken.)

1 hour ago, SailBlueH2O said:

sponge and bucket list

;-)

That got a good chuckle, I may have to use that in the future.

1 hour ago, Illegal Smile said:

It's a fascinating boat. I'm also looking at a Welsford Pathfinder while I'm down there. In other news, my Ericson 35-2 is on the market (and yes, I'll buy an ad, as soon as I get some good photos taken.)

Dawn Patrol is well-built, and well cared for. Hard to go wrong. The CS's are well designed and thought out for their intended purpose.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

sponge and bucket list

;-)

I learned on the WT Facebook page last night that waterproof socks are a thing.

Really? I've been getting my feet wet and cold and no one told me? How are Floridians supposed to learn about such gear anyway?