Russell Brown

R2AK 2018

He probably decided to take a rest while the wind is next to nothing. He has been sailing since well before 5am this morning.

2 minutes ago, rcbrds said:

He probably decided to take a rest while the wind is next to nothing. He has been sailing since well before 5am this morning.

So what's with all the direction changes and f-ing around.

Not Russell's style at all.

Something is not right.

10 minutes ago, ProaSailor said:

Yep.

Looks to me like he was doing OK, then the wind died and he lost ground tacking back and forth, the wind came up a bit, and then died again, started going backwards again and just said, "Fuck it" and headed for a nice little cove for a nap.

My take.  Very pretty place.

48 minutes ago, BarfBag said:

I agree. Steerage perhaps. Or propulsion,  it happened as the wind dropped to nothing.

That prop drive is a complex beastie......  

LIke I said earlier, when the conditions are good, go-go-go until they aren't any more or you are overcome by fatigue. Use the time when conditions suck to rest and wait for the wind and tide to change in your favor. I think that's what Russel is doing right now. When the next wind line fills in, he'll get going again. 

• Like 1

Sail like a girl is kicking it into gear, 5.7 kts when everyone else is around 3. That M32 is a weapon. Based on their track it looks like they have been beating to windward at roughly normal tacking angles. Prob not too much paddling going on

28 minutes ago, MisterMoon said:

LIke I said earlier, when the conditions are good, go-go-go until they aren't any more or you are overcome by fatigue. Use the time when conditions suck to rest and wait for the wind and tide to change in your favor. I think that's what Russel is doing right now. When the next wind line fills in, he'll get going again. 

Tide is heavily in his favor right now and has been for a couple of hours.

It looks like he just headed back out  

55BED4AC-85C9-4FC2-BACE-832845BAA5D7.png

Looking at the boats that went out through St John's Pass like Teewinot, Wright Yachts, Superfriends and Global, if you activate the track, it shows what horrific tacking angles they have been working with.  I guess that is a combination of trying to motor/sail and the tidal influence. 

It must be rather soul destroying to have moved about 3 miles in 18hrs as Teewinot did.

As for Russell's unusual zig-zag tracking, it looks much more like he lost a piece of gear overboard that floats and was looking for it - and then the trip over to the Finnerty Islands maybe to drop the hook and fix something. Bowsprit? Sail? 

Forgot to check what the Sisters are doing but according to the forecast I'm looking at, heading toward Hornby is where the wind is strongest (6 > 8 kts at present) and a good angle, but dying off (4 > 6) toward 2 AM. 

Whatever the zig-zag was about is a real bummer.

at 23.10 Girls soon in the lead - Wild Card going a different route close to Texada. Wright etc getting wind from behind? Doing 5kn. 

at 00.30 Russel sleeps - Girls in the lead - WildCard going good close to Texada - Sea to Sky and Wrights seem to find more pressure on the north side...

Russel in interwiev; current took him - he wanted to go for a sleep - but it was too hot so he got back out again - so no gear failure or lost items - going good with the gennaker...

By stopping now - when its seems there will be some wind - Russel can be passed by up to 8 or even 10 boats if they keep going and he stops 6 hrs.

at 01.20 - the 3 leaders seems to stop again  - they have about 40nm to the gate - max ebb is around 13.30 - 12hr from now - so they have maybe 14 hrs to get through? 

Not sure any will make that - but some can do - and then we have a clear leader board - or a new race-start... 

according to Windy a decent following breeze is coming over the next couple of hours - will be interesting to see if someone goes for it & makes the gate ...

at 4.20 F28 fight to take the lead - going 6kn and also Wild Card going well - Girls and Lagopus slower to the west. Blue Flash and Dreacatcher going good too - soon to pass Russel that still sleeps. Big cat - in a hole - stopped. Sea to Sky going 5.8 same passage as Wild Card did. Swan Song and Wright has stopped a little. 

1 hour ago, Chidz said:

according to Windy a decent following breeze is coming over the next couple of hours - will be interesting to see if someone goes for it & makes the gate ...

I looked at that too, but the current wind is not doing what the forecast says. The GFS model looks closest to current reality and that's a whole lot of paddling

Seems like everyone has forgotten the last two years.  Russell doesn't race other boats and doesn't deviate from HIS game plan.  It's easy watching the tracker to get excited about people passing him, but eventually PT Watercraft will be ready to go and he will undeniably sail a better course and sail to a plan to make the Seymour Narrows passage on time for the tidal gate.

Did Sea to Sky pick up a jet engine at Point Roberts?  I was trying to figure out why on God's green earth they were going so far west, but damned if they didn't shoot past a bunch of boats.

8 minutes ago, efrank said:

Did Sea to Sky pick up a jet engine at Point Roberts?  I was trying to figure out why on God's green earth they were going so far west, but damned if they didn't shoot past a bunch of boats.

You mean east... Wild Card did the same.... big gain. Now F28 is maybe in the lead for the first time - also going east....

Blue Flash went in the midle also fast...

8 minutes ago, bistros said:

eventually PT Watercraft will be ready to go and he will undeniably sail a better course and sail to a plan to make the Seymour Narrows passage on time for the tidal gate

He won't make it to Seymour Narrows by 1029 this morning.  He's ~45 nm away, which would require 8 knots for 5.5 hours.

Sail Like a Girl is ~30 nm away, requiring an average of ~5.5 knots to make it and they are doing only 3.5 knots now.

Some might manage to get through at the 1630 slack this afternoon but most will be looking at 2307 as the next chance and it's dark at that hour!

2018-06-19 Tue 10:29 AM PDT -0.0 knots Slack, Ebb Begins
2018-06-19 Tue 1:37 PM PDT -8.7 knots Max Ebb
2018-06-19 Tue 4:31 PM PDT 0.0 knots Slack, Flood Begins
2018-06-19 Tue 7:49 PM PDT 10.6 knots Max Flood
2018-06-19 Tue 9:34 PM PDT Sunset
2018-06-19 Tue 11:07 PM PDT -0.0 knots Slack, Ebb Begins
2018-06-20 Wed 2:26 AM PDT -10.8 knots Max Ebb
2018-06-20 Wed 3:52 AM PDT First Quarter
2018-06-20 Wed 5:11 AM PDT Sunrise
2018-06-20 Wed 5:49 AM PDT 0.0 knots Slack, Flood Begins
2018-06-20 Wed 8:40 AM PDT 7.8 knots Max Flood
2018-06-20 Wed 11:43 AM PDT -0.0 knots Slack, Ebb Begins
2018-06-20 Wed 2:45 PM PDT -7.8 knots Max Ebb
2018-06-20 Wed 5:39 PM PDT 0.0 knots Slack, Flood Begins
2018-06-20 Wed 8:51 PM PDT 9.2 knots Max Flood
2018-06-20 Wed 9:34 PM PDT Sunset
2018-06-21 Thu 12:00 AM PDT -0.0 knots Slack, Ebb Begins

2 minutes ago, ProaSailor said:

He won't make it to Seymour Narrows by 1029 this morning.  He's ~45 nm away, which would require 8 knots for 5.5 hours.

Sail Like a Girl is ~30 nm away, requiring an average of ~5.5 knots to make it and they are doing only 3.5 knots now.

Some might manage to get through at the 1630 slack this afternoon but most will be looking at 2307 as the next chance and it's dark at that hour!

2018-06-19 Tue 10:29 AM PDT -0.0 knots Slack, Ebb Begins
2018-06-19 Tue 1:37 PM PDT -8.7 knots Max Ebb
2018-06-19 Tue 4:31 PM PDT 0.0 knots Slack, Flood Begins
2018-06-19 Tue 7:49 PM PDT 10.6 knots Max Flood
2018-06-19 Tue 9:34 PM PDT Sunset
2018-06-19 Tue 11:07 PM PDT -0.0 knots Slack, Ebb Begins

My point exactly - I'm certain that Russell is aware of this and will sail accordingly.  Getting to Seymour first is pointless if you don't make the gate on time to transit.  Russell has demonstrated time and time again that he'd rather get a good night's sleep and sail with full faculties. 

At 5.10 Russel just left the anchor .... Blue Falsh just past at 7.7kn - and Russel in 6th in the field now....