Russell Brown

R2AK 2018

8 minutes ago, RKoch said:

If they are calling a contact on shore, that information is not publicly available.  If they are using a smart phone to access the Internet, it is.  Presuming cell service is sketchy, I figured the question was about using a sat phone to get info from a shore contact.

You can call the lighthouses or vhf, my dad loved to do that...:)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

You can call the lighthouses or vhf, my dad loved to do that...:)

Are they still manned?  

The rules: 

Vessels are to be self-supported. That means no pre-arranged support during the race. If the support is available to everyone then you can avail yourself of it, otherwise you are to rely on your wits and everything you brought at the start. You can buy things along the way, but no pre-mailed supply drops, staged personnel to assist you along the shoreline, and especially no chase boats —even if they end up not giving you any help they are still supporting you by offering a safety net that other racers won’t have. Same goes for getting a shore support team to fax you weather maps, Google search repair places, arrange repairs, give you updates on other racers positions, etc: don’t do it! Your team is to be free range, free falling, independent souls. In general, if the help would be available to anyone in the race (weather radio updates, supermarkets, random grandma’s walking down the beach

5 minutes ago, SeaGul said:

Are they still manned?  

Some. There was an SA'er lighthouse keeper who posted last year on the r2ak thread.

The Coast Guard here has radio stations at Prince Rupert, Comox and Victoria on the race route, with repeater towers on the central coast.

Queen Charlotte Sound looks like a Walmart parking lot on seniors day the last 12 hrs. Teams have moved very little. Fog would make that a little scary. I remember rowing against the 2knot tide on the north shore of the sound, going nowhere...the tide was so strong, my stronger buddy could not row out of the anchorage we chose. We had to sail out, tacking between the kelp and the shoals. I rowed past Cape Caution too, but we had breeze bt the time we reached the Hens and Chicks.

FF-SLAG is legging it out over Lagopus... Now about 4 miles ahead and going faster. 

I really feel for Wild Card. They seem to have sailed into a massive pothole and can't escape. Ptarmigan to the south is going ~5 knots and the two leaders to the north are clipping along at 5-7 knots while WC appears to be reduced to human power only at less than 2. Ouch. 

3 hours ago, D Wayne G said:

Correct. Getting info from your friends on a phone would be cheating.

IIRR, If the information is available to everyone, its ok.  If a lawyer is required to clear it up, it’s not.

47 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

Some. There was an SA'er lighthouse keeper who posted last year on the r2ak thread.

The Coast Guard here has radio stations at Prince Rupert, Comox and Victoria on the race route, with repeater towers on the central coast.

Prince Rupert is no longer manned.

It is now a repeater station from Victoria.

One still calls in to Rupert but you're talking to someone in the Victoria Centre.

Cut backs, just like Environment Canada weather forecasts, resulting in poor forecasts as most have finally realized.

7 minutes ago, Amati said:

IIRR, If the information is available to everyone, its ok.  If a lawyer is required to clear it up, it’s not.

To be clear, a friend is not available to everyone, so it's cheating.

A modem on a sat phone acquiring isobar printouts is available to everyone... 

;)- everybody has friends?;)

:lol:

Since leaving Bella Bella, the ladies have been making some solid tactical decisions. Each one has appeared to pay off. I feel bad for Wild Card.  It was going to be tough for them to win a drag race...they're much slower than the other 2 boats.  They were going to need to roll the dice on a flyer at some point, but wow, they sure picked a bad time. I hope a bit of wind comes up to get them back in it, but it doesn't look promising.

1 hour ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

You mean AT Gabriola.  He don’t wanna go ON no more dem Gulf Islands :-)

San Juan Island is not a Gulf Island.

It's the largest of the... wait for it... San Juan Islands...

They are in Washington State, USA.

But, yes, I agree, best to stay OFF any island, regardless of nationality.

Cheers

1 hour ago, RKoch said:

Since leaving Bella Bella, the ladies have been making some solid tactical decisions. Each one has appeared to pay off. I feel bad for Wild Card.  It was going to be tough for them to win a drag race...they're much slower than the other 2 boats.  They were going to need to roll the dice on a flyer at some point, but wow, they sure picked a bad time. I hope a bit of wind comes up to get them back in it, but it doesn't look promising.

I'm hanging out aboard in Ketchikan waiting for the lead boats to arrive.  It has been a long wait.  I was really hoping that these conditions would favor Russell VanWinkle but his nap times seem to have worked against him.  It looks like Dixon will get some wind this weekend at least in gusty intervals.  The Sunny skies have gone and the gloom is back so the weather is getting back to a normal pattern.  Once the winners get in we plan to head South through the remains of the fleet.

• Like 2

It keeps getting interesting. FF-SLAG is on the outside and 10 miles up on Lagopus in the channel. They had been going well, over 7 kts all morning, but now appeared to have sailed into a hole, only making 1.2 kts at the last check. Lagopus isn't faring much better, but they are the faster boat for now. 

WC finally found a little breeze and is gaining a little ground on the leaders, albeit from 50 miles back. 

Dock Rat believes he's ~20 miles from Seymour Narrows and thought he might make it through tonight ("eight o'clock is the flow tonight").

In fact, he's more like ~75 nm from Seymour Narrows (or more when the video was made?) and tonight's _flood_ (adverse current!) begins at 8:04 pm.

2018-06-22 Fri 2:10 PM PDT -0.0 knots Slack, Ebb Begins
2018-06-22 Fri 5:09 PM PDT -7.8 knots Max Ebb
2018-06-22 Fri 8:04 PM PDT 0.0 knots Slack, Flood Begins
2018-06-22 Fri 9:35 PM PDT Sunset
2018-06-22 Fri 10:56 PM PDT 7.6 knots Max Flood
2018-06-23 Sat 1:49 AM PDT -0.0 knots Slack, Ebb Begins

Apparently he is not a navigator(!?) and doesn't know that it's the ebb, not the flood, that flows north at Seymour Narrows.  Mitlenatch Island being the place where the N/S directions diverge.  Wow.

7 minutes ago, MisterMoon said:

It keeps getting interesting. FF-SLAG is on the outside and 10 miles up on Lagopus in the channel. They had been going well, over 7 kts all morning, but now appeared to have sailed into a hole, only making 1.2 kts at the last check. Lagopus isn't faring much better, but they are the faster boat for now. 

WC finally found a little breeze and is gaining a little ground on the leaders, albeit from 50 miles back. 

Depending on where the breeze comes in from it could be quite interesting. It sure seems like the FF-SLaG's have made some good choices, and/or cashed in some horseshoes at exactly the right times. And it looks like they've taken care of whatever it was that seemed to call for a Crazy Ivan?

And after seeming thoroughly 'mortal' for the past while, Russell is back to moving where no others seem capable of doing so.

cheers, Andrew (who needs to go back to baling hay).

Screen Shot 2018-06-22 at 4.06.10 PM.png

For the last couple hours Wild Card has been a few tenths faster than the others. But they're still a long ways back. 

2 hours ago, BarfBag said:

Cheers

The names of these islands are merely the result of treaties, or something......

Are Scotties actually East Lowland Black Terriers, as the West Highland White Terrier Crowd would have it?  Of course!

Therefore! We keep our boat in the US Southern Gulf Islands, and we vacation in the Canadian Northern San Juan Islands.  Simple, really....

the Shaw Round Island rules declare that if you touch the island  during the race, you suffer a penalty.  This shows the R2AK to be a different kettle of fish.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Amati said:

The names of these islands are merely the result of treaties, or something......

Are Scotties actually East Lowland Black Terriers, as the West Highland White Terrier Crowd would have it?  Of course!

Therefore! We keep our boat in the US Southern Gulf Islands, and we vacation in the Canadian Northern San Juan Islands.  Simple, really....

the Shaw Round Island rules declare that if you touch the island  during the race, you suffer a penalty.  This shows the R2AK to be a different kettle of fish.

Actually the names - particularly in Canada - are due to an arrangement between Captains Juan de Fuca and Vancouver.  Who, quite by chance, met during their near simultaneous exploration of the Salish Sea.  They were quite congenial apparently and the general agreement they came to was that waterways and small islands were given Spanish names, The big land masses and mountains given English names and rivers keeping their native names.  So you get the Elwha River flowing into the Straits of Juan de Fuca across from Vancouver Island.  Not a 100% rule (e.g. the Straits of Georgia) and certainly altered over the years with a tilt toward the English, but a useful starting point. 

What was decided not by treaty, but by the Pope, was the US/Canadian border.  AS the map he had in front of him at the time didn't show Point Roberts, he left that little problem to be resolved by the designated lanes at the border.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Actually the names - particularly in Canada - are due to an arrangement between Captains Juan de Fuca and Vancouver.  Who, quite by chance, met during their near simultaneous exploration of the Salish Sea.  They were quite congenial apparently and the general agreement they came to was that waterways and small islands were given Spanish names, The big land masses and mountains given English names and rivers keeping their native names.  So you get the Elwha River flowing into the Straits of Juan de Fuca across from Vancouver Island.  Not a 100% rule (e.g. the Straits of Georgia) and certainly altered over the years with a tilt toward the English, but a useful starting point. 

What was decided not by treaty, but by the Pope, was the US/Canadian border.  AS the map he had in front of him at the time didn't show Point Roberts, he left that little problem to be resolved by the designated lanes at the border.  

Well, that was excellent!  And as the song doth sayeth,

Can you do the genuflect?

Can you do the genuflect?

Get Down! 2,3,4,

Get Down! 2,3,4.....

some underground Boston? Punk band whose name is lost to the winds,  But!  The Salish has a lot of mellow, no?

8 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

To carry on further, only Vancouver explored Puget Sound so those names are primarily named after his crew and family and friends with Lord Rainier, who funded the expedition, getting the big mountain - which should be named Tahoma.

BTW, in Peter Puget's Sound, Restoration Point is named in honor of kicking Cromwell out of the government and restoring the crown.  Possession Point is where George had himself rowed ashore and claimed the area for King George.  

2 hours ago, BarfBag said:

Cheers

Yeah, yeah, as a Canadian (and American), I know how Americans like to claim things as they’re own, so I was just giving it back.  (Someone in this thread, or in a R2AK FB post comment referred to the Gulf Islands as “the Canadian San Juan’s”.  ( I know very well how precious little an average American learns about geography and languages beyond their borders...). So, yeah, the American Gulf Islands :-)

Argh, let’s just agree to call them the Salish Sea Islands.

:-)

interesting background Left Turn ... even though it does sound like one of those dodgy bar jokes - you know, you heard the one about a Spaniard an Englishman and the Pope walking in ...

1 hour ago, ProaSailor said:

Dock Rat believes he's ~20 miles from Seymour Narrows and thought he might make it through tonight ("eight o'clock is the flow tonight").

In fact, he's more like ~75 nm from Seymour Narrows (or more when the video was made?) and tonight's _flood_ (adverse current!) begins at 8:04 pm.

2018-06-22 Fri 2:10 PM PDT -0.0 knots Slack, Ebb Begins
2018-06-22 Fri 5:09 PM PDT -7.8 knots Max Ebb
2018-06-22 Fri 8:04 PM PDT 0.0 knots Slack, Flood Begins
2018-06-22 Fri 9:35 PM PDT Sunset
2018-06-22 Fri 10:56 PM PDT 7.6 knots Max Flood
2018-06-23 Sat 1:49 AM PDT -0.0 knots Slack, Ebb Begins

Apparently he is not a navigator(!?) and doesn't know that it's the ebb, not the flood, that flows north at Seymour Narrows.  Mitlenatch Island being the place where the N/S directions diverge.  Wow.

I believe, having read about him, that he’s relatively new to sailing.  But I could be wrong.  This coast is a rapid education in currents and tides! 

3 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Yeah, yeah, as a Canadian (and American), I know how Americans like to claim things as they’re own, so I was just giving it back.  (Someone in this thread, or in a R2AK FB post comment referred to the Gulf Islands as “the Canadian San Juan’s”.  ( I know very well how precious little am averaged American learns about geography and languages beyond their borders...). So, yeah, the American Gulf Islands :-)

Argh, let’s just agree to call them the Salish Sea Islands.

:-)

No no no!  Let’s make as much fun of this as possible until the race gets gripping again!

1 hour ago, Banjo5 said:

Depending on where the breeze comes in from it could be quite interesting. It sure seems like the FF-SLaG's have made some good choices, and/or cashed in some horseshoes at exactly the right times. And it looks like they've taken care of whatever it was that seemed to call for a Crazy Ivan?

And after seeming thoroughly 'mortal' for the past while, Russell is back to moving where no others seem capable of doing so.

cheers, Andrew (who needs to go back to baling hay).

Screen Shot 2018-06-22 at 4.06.10 PM.png

I think the crazy Ivan was them sailing out of the SE into the transition to the new NW pattern filling. If the models can trusted the girls will have winds from the NNW at 10 or so for tonight into tomorrow. Lagopus will have lighter winds on the nose working up the channel. The points for this round appear to going to SLAG. 

The models show more holes ahead, so it's still not over. It's going to take a lot of effort and some luck to get there first. 

27 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

And who here even knows that the sailor/explorer Juan de Fuca was actually a Greek!  He “Spanishified” his name, as he was sailing for those guys, looking for the NWP.  (Oops) 

3 minutes ago, Amati said:

No no no!  Let’s make as much fun of this as possible until the race gets gripping again!

Dock Rat is gaining on the leaders!  (Well, that is a true statement, compared to where he was... :-) )

Go Verminator!  (If I’d blown ashore at night like that, I might very likely have made alternative post-shipwreck plans and left for home to lick my wounds.  At least go have some cold gin and tonics somewhere!.  Awesome of him to get it together and keep on going!)

• Downvote 1

42 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Who was it it had the big hacienda up north that Vancouver liked so much that he stayed for months and months- the place had a vineyard, and a bakery, and agriculture, etc. - hope that whole thing wasn’t just an historical urban myth- was it Quadra?

Just now, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Dock Rat is gaining on the leaders!  (Well, that is a true statement, compared to where he was... :-) )

Go Verminator!  (If I’d blown ashore at night like that, I might very likely have made alternative post-shipwreck plans and left for home to lick my wounds.  At least go have some cold gin and tonics somewhere!.  Awesome of him to get it together and keep on going!)

No bars down in that part of the island....

All right, so I have to ask . .  

When the racers touch down on Canadian soil, do they have to check in with Canadian customs, be questioned, searched, etc.? 

Like, "You did leave at your guns at home, did you not?" 

On the Great Lakes we sure do, and get a big fine (minimum $ 1,000 CD), if we do not. And they do enforce that. 

Not to say that I have a problem with folks standing up to those jack-booted thugs (in both countries) 

[FYI, for a long time the Canadians have called for a continental defense that would allow for unrestricted recreational water travel, among other things.] 

They all cleared into Canada in Victoria last week when they finished the Pt. Townsend - Victoria leg.  The only one who's gone back the US is Dock Rat when he ran up on the beach on SJ Island. Presumably he cleared back into the US on that little adventure. 

On the race website they say that US Customs in Alaska doesn't mind if you wash up on some wild beach (say you're in a kayak and camping) before checking in with them at their dock in Ketchikan. 

The racers started from Victoria, Canada, so they don't have to check in each time they touch Canadian soil.  It's really a question of what do they do if they anchor or stop at Stuart or San Juan or another American island.  Or what they do once they reach Alaska.

If one has a Nexus card, it's possible to phone into Canadian and American customs from the boat and not stop at a port of entry or be inspected.

1 minute ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

And who here even knows that the sailor/explorer Juan de Fuca was actually a Greek!  He “Spanishified” his name, as he was sailing for those guys, looking for the NWP.  (Oops) 

All mercenaries those guys.  Columbus was an Italian after all.  

26 minutes ago, xyzzy said:

If one has a Nexus card, it's possible to phone into Canadian and American customs from the boat and not stop at a port of entry or be inspected.

Canada still makes you declare a port of entry and sail by it.  In my cruising last summer (first time with a Nexus card) they "okay'd" me from the water and I was able to keep going without stopping.

The US doesn't do it the same way, so you can do things like call in when you cross the border and stop at Stuart or Sucia Island (neither of which have customs checkpoints).

I'm glad that it works this way and not the other way around because BC has a lot of entry points and WA has few.

Nexus is really useful to have if you live in WA and sail here.

44 minutes ago, Alex W said:

Canada still makes you declare a port of entry and sail by it.  In my cruising last summer (first time with a Nexus card) they "okay'd" me from the water and I was able to keep going without stopping.

The US doesn't do it the same way, so you can do things like call in when you cross the border and stop at Stuart or Sucia Island (neither of which have customs checkpoints).

I'm glad that it works this way and not the other way around because BC has a lot of entry points and WA has few.

Nexus is really useful to have if you live in WA and sail here.

This is the first time I have seen thread drift on the R2AK thread. Getting boring! 

27 minutes ago, D Wayne G said:

This is the first time I have seen thread drift on the R2AK thread. Getting boring! 

No kidding!

Look it up, don't rely on forums for your international travel plans and requirements.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled R2AK mayhem.

• Downvote 1

Well then, this thread needs music...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlY6NPpRJM8

Not wanting to drift off topic too far, but I believe there are errors above. The Pope seems to get credit for something Count Willhelm sp? had done. Juan de Fuca may not have been around as much as he was reported. Good reading is the Pig War. The secret voyage of Francis Drake. And the reporting requirements for boats crossing the border. The last listed, are confusing at best. Nexus card or not. 

0:50 to 1:05 of that video shows me exactly what is going on with the Melges 32 this race..... 

20 minutes ago, DHFiend said:

0:50 to 1:05 of that video shows me exactly what is going on with the Melges 32 this race..... 

Tell us more!

If I was a girl and had the skipper duties I would write this on the hatchway in bold Mark- Lot in red…...ALL YOU BABES JUST HANGING OUT IN THE COCKPIT AND DOING SQUAT O PLEASE STAY IN THE V-BERTH!!!  THE FRIGGIN STERN IS SINKING!!Print this forecast
Local date
Local time
Wind speed (mph)
Wind gusts (max mph)
Cloud cover
Precipitation type
Precipitation (in / 3h)
Air temperature (°F)
Air pressure (inHG)
Tide type
Time
Tide height (ft)

Thursday, Jun 21

2 AM

3:25
5 AM

8 AM

8:58
11 AM

2 PM

3:18
5 PM

8 PM

11 PM

9:45

So here’s a question: has anyone on any of the top 6 boats ever done R2AK before?   (SLAG, Lagopus, Wild Card, Ptarmigan, BlueFlash, STTPR)

It’s pretty fun to watch how new this year’s crowd is.  There’s going to be a lot of stoked crews at the finish when they see their result.

5 hours ago, MisterMoon said:

They all cleared into Canada in Victoria last week when they finished the Pt. Townsend - Victoria leg.  The only one who's gone back the US is Dock Rat when he ran up on the beach on SJ Island. Presumably he cleared back into the US on that little adventure. 

On the race website they say that US Customs in Alaska doesn't mind if you wash up on some wild beach (say you're in a kayak and camping) before checking in with them at their dock in Ketchikan. 

Cruisers coming from Rupert across Dixon commonly anchor at Foggy Bay (AK) before pushing on to formally clear on at Ketchikan.  They’re cool with that.

It's still interesting up front. SLAG leads Lagopus by only 6 miles and L is going faster right now. 

WIld Card has clawed back a few miles, but needs a lot luck to get back in it. 

Strait to the Pool Room and Blue Flash have been match racing in view of each other through Bella Bella and have swapped positions several times. 

Russell pulled in to race sponsor Shearwater Resort for the night after passing the checkpoint at Bella. I guess he decided he needed a shower, a chance to do his laundry and a restaurant meal. Seems like a good plan to me! 

8 minutes ago, MisterMoon said:

It's still interesting up front. SLAG leads Lagopus by only 6 miles and L is going faster right now. 

I’m rooting big for Lagopus. Only 6 miles behind now.  It’s cool that they came up with a funny “translation” of “ptarmigan” (since there are two boats named Ptarmigan in the race, and can’t have two same name teams.  Much more importantly, they’re clearly sailing hard.  Good honest work. Small-ish crew. No sponsorship.  Grit.  I like that (as with Wild Card).

10 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

I’m rooting big for Lagopus. Only 6 miles behind now.  It’s cool that they came up with a funny “translation” of “ptarmigan” (since there are two boats named Ptarmigan in the race, and can’t have two same name teams.  Much more importantly, they’re clearly sailing hard.  Good honest work. Small-ish crew. No sponsorship.  Grit.  I like that (as with Wild Card).

I like all three teams a lot. Any of them would be excellent winners. Too bad there aren't two sets of steak knives. 

Looking at the tracks, both teams appear to be working to windward, the advantage is to SLAG at the moment as either tack takes them closer to Ketchikan. Lagopus has zero or negative VMG when they are on starboard. 

Maybe the two lead boats will arrive together and split the $10k...

The Pig War is an interesting history bite for this area.

I was under the impression only two teams returned from last year's race.

Amongst us Vets For Peace old farts, 

the Pig War is just about our favorite armed conflict. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MisterMoon said:

I like all three teams a

35 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

Amongst us Vets For Peace old farts, 

the Pig War is just about our favorite armed conflict. 

A US-Canadian team, Team Pig War?

• Like 1

At 23.10 ... well 3 monos in big lead and the multis cant get going - or sleep too much....  not so interesting anymore, to make that trip in any vessel using time thats nice - but not a race. For the two in front - its a race yes - and I hope the underdog will win - Legopus.   

Next year - somebody will show up in a rocket or it will be blowing like hell  and  the Pear Shape Thing will not win ....its too much planning..... 

I expect the Girls to win, they are making pretty solid navigational/tactical calls, their track is pretty efficient and they are in front, which must be an advantage on the run in to Ketchikan.

But it will be a struggle, because they are lacking basic boat speed in a boat which should blow the other monos away in these conditions. I have no doubt that they are suffering from excessive weight, poorly distributed on such a light boat in offshore slop and joggle.

They would have been better off with 6 crew and only one pedal station, for this year’s race at least....

19 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

I expect the Girls to win, they are making pretty solid navigational/tactical calls, their track is pretty efficient and they are in front, which must be an advantage on the run in to Ketchikan.

But it will be a struggle, because they are lacking basic boat speed in a boat which should blow the other monos away in these conditions. I have no doubt that they are suffering from excessive weight, poorly distributed on such a light boat in offshore slop and joggle.

They would have been better off with 6 crew and only one pedal station, for this year’s race at least....

You'd think that at this point that it's their's to lose now, and that they have enough of an edge.

They do seem to have the sails, and willingness to use them, so that should help the cause.

On the human drive, we've certainly seen in this race that it's a deal breaker, and could have been more of one. I recall from Jungle Kitty's run that they would put 4 on the back whenever the speed drops. I'd have to go look at their drive again, but vaguely recall that although it was right at the back, the pedalers weren't hanging behind the transom. But I'm sure there's a lot more room, and weight, in a 44' boat than a 32 footer. Another advantage of Bad Kitty's drive was that it put the pedalers well forward. And Russell's drive keeps boat trim normal. But it's harder to solve on a mono, without making serious alterations.

This situation at the front kind of reminds me of the Buchans staying on the tail of the multi (whose name I can’t remember) (what year was that?). No matter what the multi did, the Buchans just kept coming back.....

Station 46183 - North Hecate Strait
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=46183

Station 46145 - Central Dixon Entrance Buoy  (where the three leaders will be today)
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=46145

Station MRYA2 - Mary Island, AK
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=mrya2

Go girls!  They have done this very well.

At 07.10 its only 3nm between the leaders..... and WC 30nm behind ...the f28 no problem its going back and forth basically at the same spot...

...and Russel sleeps...

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, SeaGul said:

...and Russel sleeps...

Go Russell!  He’s in a great place to get some sleep and a good brekky with hot coffee when he wakes up: I know, I’ve sailed to Shearwater/Bella Bella, after nursing a boat in following an encounter with a rock in Lama Passage...

Meanwhile, Team B4B2 has repaired their rudder and centreboard and will perhaps push on, if not to Ketchikan, then road-accessible Rupert, destination Nome, the real Alaska :-) 

http://berrimilla.com/wordpress/next/

Go Bobbles!

• Like 1

On 6/21/2018 at 5:58 PM, Left Shift said:

Might get faster and faster as they get closer to Ketchican and get lighter. 

But don't do what one boat I was on did, when an enthusiastic crewman dumped all our water a day out of Honolulu. Not recommended.

Maybe not all of it but the girls are dumping water with ~80 nm to go, which might be another 24 hours?

Watching the VOR finish on the last leg into The Hague simultaneously with the first finishers of the R2AK.  A little disorienting watching two races where one set of boats is currently sailing an order of magnitude faster than the the other, and the finish times are minutes apart rather than hours.   And the budgets are perhaps two orders of magnitude different.  

Very glad both events exist at different ends of the extreme racing spectrum.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Watching the VOR finish on the last leg into The Hague simultaneously with the first finishers of the R2AK.  A little disorienting watching two races where one set of boats is currently sailing an order of magnitude faster than the the other, and the finish times are minutes apart rather than hours.   

Well, the ultimate one design racers on at the same time as the ultimate No-design racers. 

Note that the R2AK thread has three times the hits. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

Well, the ultimate one design racers on at the same time as the ultimate No-design racers. 

Note that the R2AK thread has three times the hits. 

Perfect comparison.  Like I said, glad both exist, and very happy with the VOR being one design.  

3 times the hits on SA - it's anarchy after all.  I'm guessing a few more on the VOR than the R2AK home sites.  

7 hours ago, Banjo5 said:

......On the human drive, we've certainly seen in this race that it's a deal breaker, and could have been more of one. I recall from Jungle Kitty's run that they would put 4 on the back whenever the speed drops. I'd have to go look at their drive again, but vaguely recall that although it was right at the back, the pedalers weren't hanging behind the transom. But I'm sure there's a lot more room, and weight, in a 44' boat than a 32 footer. Another advantage of Bad Kitty's drive was that it put the pedalers well forward. And Russell's drive keeps boat trim normal. But it's harder to solve on a mono, without making serious alterations.

Jungle Kitty’s was out the back, not only was it is a much bigger and heavier boat, but they also had a lot more wind that year, so probably didn’t suffer as much.

Bad Kitty and Russell’s drives had the advantage of keeping the weight well forward but the drive aft and accessible to clear weed, swap props or repair. Also very easily deployable and retracted without out much fuss. And in Russell’s case, he is pedalling in his normal sailing position, albeit the pedals only drive forward when he is sitting on the port side from memory. Starboard side, he has to back pedal, which is far more inefficient.

SLAG is really legging out now, don't think they can be caught. 

3 minutes ago, RKoch said:

SLAG is really legging out now, don't think they can be caught. 

I don't know about that. Lagopus' last position was at 14:30 vs. SLAGs at 17:10.  Someone on Lagopus is either sitting on the Spot or it got flipped upside down.  (Stuff like that happens sometimes. DAMHIKT.) 

Or maybe it's time to change the AAA batteries in the Spot, they only last about 6 days in my experience. 

I bet they are still within 5-6 miles of each other, if not closer. If one sails into a hole or has some small problem, that kind of lead could evaporate in a very short time. 

The best race right now is the kids in the J88 Blue Flash and the cat Pool Room. They've been at it hammer and tongs since Bella Bella and are practically alongside each other and clipping along at 8 knots. I'm rooting for the kids. 

29 minutes ago, MisterMoon said:

I don't know about that. Lagopus' last position was at 14:30 vs. SLAGs at 17:10.  Someone on Lagopus is either sitting on the Spot or it got flipped upside down.  (Stuff like that happens sometimes. DAMHIKT.) 

Or maybe it's time to change the AAA batteries in the Spot, they only last about 6 days in my experience. 

I bet they are still within 5-6 miles of each other, if not closer. If one sails into a hole or has some small problem, that kind of lead could evaporate in a very short time. 

Yes, there's a 3 hour time difference in pings, but I think Lagopus is still 10-12 miles behind. At this point they need to average a knot plus faster the remainder of the race just to draw even. I don't see that happening. Wild Card is 43 miles behind SLAG, and going about half the speed, 3.6kn vs 6.8kn. It's hopeless for them. 

26 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Yes, there's a 3 hour time difference in pings, but I think Lagopus is still 10-12 miles behind. At this point they need to average a knot plus faster the remainder of the race just to draw even. I don't see that happening. Wild Card is 43 miles behind SLAG, and going about half the speed, 3.6kn vs 6.8kn. It's hopeless for them. 

Lagopus just pinged at 18:10. You were right, they are 11 miles behind and 1 knot slower than SLAG. It's the ladies race to lose at the moment. It looks like dumping those six gallons of water helped!

14 minutes ago, MisterMoon said:

Lagopus just pinged at 18:10. You were right, they are 11 miles behind and 1 knot slower than SLAG. It's the ladies race to lose at the moment. 

The women have sailed pretty strongly the second half, I don't see them failing apart this close to the finish. Dock Rat might get caught by the sweep boat before the Narrows....even discounting the time he spent beached, he's making Rimas type speed. 

Anyone know what happened to  Team "Hard Lee" in the Farrier Eagle? They are back at the start now, looks like it was a quick trip back, tracker shows a straight line over land.

4 hours ago, Sidecar said:

Jungle Kitty’s was out the back, not only was it is a much bigger and heavier boat, but they also had a lot more wind that year, so probably didn’t suffer as much.

Bad Kitty and Russell’s drives had the advantage of keeping the weight well forward but the drive aft and accessible to clear weed, swap props or repair. Also very easily deployable and retracted without out much fuss. And in Russell’s case, he is pedalling in his normal sailing position, albeit the pedals only drive forward when he is sitting on the port side from memory. Starboard side, he has to back pedal, which is far more inefficient.

My only data point on the reverse pedaling direction is Mad Dogs who could put two people on the same set of pedals. They found (IIRC) that pedaling 'backwards' wasn't a big issue.

The weed clearing is important, I recall Global having a lot of frustration with weed/kelp on their drive last year (although I think I primarily saw it mentioned for Stage 1).

Repair and robustness is important. Whether Brodurna's stop to fix theirs last year cost them the win, we'll never know, but their time stopped was a lot greater than the finishing differential.

And although we're going to have the slowest winning time this year. it looks likely that all the top 3 (at least) will finish faster than the Steak Knives time from 2015.

1 hour ago, RKoch said:

The women have sailed pretty strongly the second half, I don't see them failing apart this close to the finish. Dock Rat might get caught by the sweep boat before the Narrows....even discounting the time he spent beached, he's making Rimas type speed. 

Three boats still "racing" have averaged just a bit over 1 knot.  I find that both astoundingly incompetent and remarkably bull-headed.  

• Like 1

80ish kms to go ... this is getting REAL interesting:

will the girls hold they're nerve? dropped to 3 knots ...

how up to it is they're paddling?

will the 'pus' pull a rabbit out of an orifice? rolling at 5 knots half an hour ago ...

will the tracker give us accurate info??

modelling shows they are heading for a flat spot with the 'puss' bringing the last zephyrs of wind up ...

last sprint for the cash & steak knives is ON!

1 hour ago, Banjo5 said:

My only data point on the reverse pedaling direction is Mad Dogs who could put two people on the same set of pedals. They found (IIRC) that pedaling 'backwards' wasn't a big issue.

The weed clearing is important, I recall Global having a lot of frustration with weed/kelp on their drive last year (although I think I primarily saw it mentioned for Stage 1).

Repair and robustness is important. Whether Brodurna's stop to fix theirs last year cost them the win, we'll never know, but their time stopped was a lot greater than the finishing differential.

And although we're going to have the slowest winning time this year. it looks likely that all the top 3 (at least) will finish faster than the Steak Knives time from 2015.

Good observation Left Shift. Given that I got the steak knives the first year I have been paying close attention to that. It seems that moving SLOWLY but constantly wins out over hunkering down in survival conditions ( for us) may win out. In 2015 we stopped for 37 hours and only beat Por Favor by 20 minutes. But what a race that was! Take it to the grave!

• Like 1

That 2015 race was epic. It stoked a lot of sailors to want to do the race.

Looking at the tides at Campbell river, the Verminator has 2 choices. Take the big flush starting 230am and go for glory or take the 430pm tomorrow, a mild ebb and even a mild flood.

http://tides.mobilegeographics.com/locations/898.html

http://tracker.r2ak.com/

This will be a nail biting finish for the top 2 boats when the wind dies into Ketchikan and the Lagopus has a shot at closing the gap.

At 21.50 Girls 26nm to go - Lago is 9nm behind both gonig 8kn - the first 6 got wind the fasest is the cat at near 10kn.

Russel sleeps again - and Wright has a chance of passing in the night.

2 hours ago, D Wayne G said:

Good observation Left Shift. Given that I got the steak knives the first year I have been paying close attention to that. It seems that moving SLOWLY but constantly wins out over hunkering down in survival conditions ( for us) may win out. In 2015 we stopped for 37 hours and only beat Por Favor by 20 minutes. But what a race that was! Take it to the grave!

Wayne - 

There's something about some races that one never forgets, like you said, "Take it to the grave!". I've had one in particular that I'll never forget and just finished out of the silver by literally a couple minutes in a nearly 8-hour race. Last year's R2AK finish was a nail bighter and I'm sure those guys will remember it too. But it isn't always the high finish places, either.

Here's a thought: It would be really neat to have a after-the-race get together with those who raced before and have stories to tell about tactics, planning, what worked and what didn't, and those who think they might want to go next year or even the year after. I wouldn't fit either category but we've been up and down that route several times and I find this race very interesting. I'd love to do it but we're cruisers. Never the less, it would be really great, I think, if there could be such a get-together. Perhaps with some kind of a meeting plan or agenda of sorts for topics if someone could dream something up. It would be really great for the wanna-be types.

3 hours ago, Left Shift said:

Three boats still "racing" have averaged just a bit over 1 knot.  I find that both astoundingly incompetent and remarkably bull-headed.  

You need to check your maths. If the race length is around 710 miles long and the race duration looks like being around 160hrs for the Girls, that gives an average of around 4.5 knots......

Any one that can win a 710 mile race in good order isn’t incompetent and if they are, what does that make the rest of the fleet????

21 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

You need to check your maths. If the race length is around 710 miles long and the race duration looks like being around 160hrs for the Girls, that gives an average of around 4.5 knots......

Any one that can win a 710 mile race in good order isn’t incompetent and if they are, what does that make the rest of the fleet????

...I think Lefty was referring to 3 of the slowest boats....  and he might have a point there...  When is the Grim Sweeper going to fire up? 

No doubt that another first this year will be the Grim Sweeper getting a victim. In past years, people retired rather than risk getting tapped by the him.... We shall see.

At 23.40 The First federal Girls are down to 2,5 and 9,6 to go - and the Legocat come thundering from behind at 4,9!!!

anyone got the link to the live feed?
last year we could tap into a cruise ship camera - what about this year?

.... I have problem with letting this go to the monos - they will take top 3 - maybe 4,  I dont trust the F28 or the Cat to beat Blues in the end...  OK it was difficult - but there is one boat that probably could have won if he didnt sleep so much....  I get it singlehanded i harsh conditions - you dont want to get too tired and go at night, but this time there was a lot light conditions, and then he could have altered his pattern. The boat is self rightening - so he could have slept under auto-pilot - at some risk - when it was safe enough - and got enough sleep to go most of the way without stopping, then there could be a siglehanded total winner - and a multi.  

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

33 minutes ago, SeaGul said:

.... I have problem with letting this go to the monos - they will take top 3 - maybe 4,  I dont trust the F28 or the Cat to beat Blues in the end...  OK it was difficult - but there is one boat that probably could have won if he didnt sleep so much....  I get it singlehanded i harsh conditions - you dont want to get too tired and go at night, but this time there was a lot light conditions, and then he could have altered his pattern. The boat is self rightening - so he could have slept under auto-pilot - at some risk - when it was safe enough - and got enough sleep to go most of the way without stopping, then there could be a siglehanded total winner - and a multi.  

For many reasons this has been a frustrating year for many followers but we should not lose the spirit and intent of this contest in the desire to make this better reality TV.  It isn't about those of us who aren't on that stretch of water.

Everyone entering this contest does so for their own reasons - and for most it isn't because they are doing so for the $10,000 US with a nail through it.  Most recognize the enormity of the challenge and the respect of their peers (you know, the people on the course racing with them) as the reward.

I think that castigating one racer (without directly naming him) is poor sport.  He's doing exactly what most of us respect the most - setting a plan, executing that plan and doing so safely, responsibly and with great seamanship and skill.   Please get your facts straight - the G32 is not self righting - it involves doing a lot of intricate steps in the right order by a conscious and well trained sailor to recover. It's his life and property at risk - and if he doesn't want to sail while asleep ignoring the many existential threats, respect his choices.

Winning the race for Russell Brown was never his goal - and you should respect that.  This race isn't about multihulls versus monos, it isn't about single handers versus crewed campaigns, and it isn't about creating drama for tracker junkies.

Russell's version of a win at the R2AK is safely arriving at Ketchikan, improving on his single handed course record and most importantly getting to cruise back to Port Townsend with his wife and business partner as their chosen annual vacation together.

• Like 8

"...I think that castigating one racer (without directly naming him) is poor sport ...."

I don't think that was his intent - I certainly would not question an obviously intelligent sailor like Russel's motives/desires/reasons to sail - more a general comment of the lack of producing results by this year's crop of multis.
I have to admit (as a Corsair owner/sailor/racer) I am a little surprised/disappointed with the speed/performance of the new 970 - I (and I assume the manufacturers and owners) was hoping for a more competitive result to spruik  their latest toy.
But then - us armchair keyboard warriors weren't there (I sooo wish I was - anyone want to sponsor me?), so we just have to speculate on the forums ...