Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Russell Brown

R2AK 2018

6 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

Here is a team that I'm considering inviting to next years race...

Image result for bob perry samoan canoe

Might want to consider some sponsorship.

$10,000 by 42 people on board comes out to about 60¢ mile per person.

1 hour ago, Rasputin22 said:

Women really hate it when it is you that leads to the chafe of your women! Especially sailors...

Image result for prostitutes and boats chafe

The two oldest professions are sailors and prostitutes. Both have to be mindful of chafe.

3 hours ago, ProaSailor said:

Your "To Go" and "Done" columns add up to less than 520 miles - how can that be?

Superfriends are very close now, should be on FB streaming cam very soon.

Russell is doing 7.6 knots with 14+ miles to go so he could arrive by 1630?  (Pacific Time, not Alaska Time)

Two reason for the distance math:

1. I just use the straight line distance between Victoria and Ketchikan (515.5 nautical miles). As near as I can tell, the 750 is a bit of a stretch, includes all the wiggles, the proving grounds, and is in statute miles. Of course everyone sails a whole lot farther than that in the race.

2. Nautical Miles.

It seemed like a reasonable approximation to use. Came up with the spreadsheet for R2AK 2015, and have been tweaking it each year since. I just cut and paste in the Lat/Long coordinates for an update, and type in the time. I also put in the speed, but it's not used for my calculations.  I estimate the finishing time by searching back however many hours I set (usually 24, but can change it to see what difference it makes).

cheers,

Andrew

So have you figured out Vancouver Island is longer east to west than it is north to south yet?

Look at the lat and longs of the extreme points...

52 minutes ago, Banjo5 said:

Two reason for the distance math:

1. I just use the straight line distance between Victoria and Ketchikan (515.5 nautical miles). As near as I can tell, the 750 is a bit of a stretch, includes all the wiggles, the proving grounds, and is in statute miles. Of course everyone sails a whole lot farther than that in the race.

2. Nautical Miles.

It seemed like a reasonable approximation to use. Came up with the spreadsheet for R2AK 2015, and have been tweaking it each year since. I just cut and paste in the Lat/Long coordinates for an update, and type in the time. I also put in the speed, but it's not used for my calculations.  I estimate the finishing time by searching back however many hours I set (usually 24, but can change it to see what difference it makes).

cheers,

Andrew

Yeah, and I guess the 750 mile figure includes Leg 1 from PT to Victoria.

Have you seen the analytics for the 2016 and 2017 races done by Ben Ahlvin from 2016's Team Excellent Adventure?  Very interesting stuff.  Links found here:

https://r2ak.com/previous-races/
https://r2ak.com/2017-daily-updates/2017-race-analytics/

Click "Enter Full Screen Mode" icon in the bottom-right corner, then page through six screens of data using the links at the bottom-middle.  Fascinating.  Examples from 2017:

Page 2 (below) shows Distance vs. Time/Date for selected boats; the nine horizontal spots in this graph are the nights when Russell was anchored (2017):

analytics_pg2.thumb.png.3695d3d3c8a660333470a8bbb55ae415.png

Page 4 (below) shows 'Total Distance Traveled' for each boat.  It might correlate somehow to the 'Route Efficiency' column on page 1?

analytics_pg4.thumb.png.efa1e36e487df3dcc75f2752699ccaab.png

Page 1 (below, sorted by the 'Distance Sailed' column):

analytics_pg1.thumb.png.387379827c9a577361ce10fbc66b8fe2.png

Very cool.  Well done Ben!  Thank you.  Can you please do it again for 2018?

Yup, very cool analytics. I've looked at it now and then. Someday I'd like to figure out how to access the data directly like he does, rather than having to cut and paste it in as the race progresses. I don't track all the teams, and certainly not every tracker update. It's interesting to see who's catching who. I was thinking for this year that perhaps Blue Flash might be the fastest team from Seymour Narrows to Ketchikan (for instance). And Wild Card made that huge charge from a long way back to the lead.

Certainly Russell must have been the fastest boat on the water when he was sailing.

Interesting to see Superfriends do a big charge from being locked in with Global to in the thick of the chasers. Ditto Sea to Sky. Would  be great to know how much this was tactics, how much was finally getting good weather, how much was human power, and how much was boat sailing speed (efficiency).

One of the fun things when you're limited to be being a long distance observer is speculating on what a winning (or competitive ) combination would be.

cheers, Andrew

9 hours ago, kimbottles said:

I happen to know Jeanne Goussev the Skipper of Sail Like a Girl and can verify that she is a REAL SAILOR.

A very SMART, SKILLED, SAVVY, REAL SAILOR.

OK, I count 7 girls on an M32.
If I put 7 Guys on an M 32 do you doubt that they could not have our Paddled, Rowed or Sailed them?

This is not a sailing race but something that belongs in a reality BS channel that no one watches. After the first season, it is the same shit over and over.and over.

Sorry, Just being honest. I hate Reality shit, it is a joke

12 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

If I put 7 Guys on an M 32 do you doubt that they could not have our Paddled, Rowed or Sailed them?

This is not a sailing race but something that belongs in a reality BS channel that no one watches. After the first season, it is the same shit over and over.and over.

Just being honest?

:lol:

9 hours ago, kimbottles said:

I happen to know Jeanne Goussev the Skipper of Sail Like a Girl and can verify that she is a REAL SAILOR.

A little graciousness towards Russell, and his wife, at the finish, would have gone a long way......

1 hour ago, BarfBag said:

So have you figured out Vancouver Island is longer east to west than it is north to south yet?

Look at the lat and longs of the extreme points...

Tiny legalities, floating in the air.....

"Being such a light wind year, the multis reveal their particular weakness--one I've been dealing with trying to club race this year as well.  They don't do well in light airs against monohulls and they don't do well with makeshift human powered contraptions.  This year in particular was almost totally a light air exercise with very few, though brief moments of breeze. Sailboats need wind to sail and it was in short supply. 

Russell's cat is an exception to this but is extraordinarily light weight and uniquely able to motor sail where the power of the breeze (however little) and the human power yield a sum greater than the individual parts.  Kudos to Russ and his experts for demonstrating the potential.  In years to come, I'd say that refinements on PT Watercraft's strengths will yield impressive wins, whether it's Russ G-32 or another design similar in concept. "

Gougeon multis have been beating all kinds of boats in light conditions for decades, and they are uniquely light and cheap, but people seem largely uninterested.

13 minutes ago, Amati said:

A little graciousness towards Russell, and his wife, at the finish, would have gone a long way......

What happened?????

8 minutes ago, Tom Dl said:

"Being such a light wind year, the multis reveal their particular weakness--one I've been dealing with trying to club race this year as well.  They don't do well in light airs against monohulls and they don't do well with makeshift human powered contraptions.  This year in particular was almost totally a light air exercise with very few, though brief moments of breeze. Sailboats need wind to sail and it was in short supply. 

Russell's cat is an exception to this but is extraordinarily light weight and uniquely able to motor sail where the power of the breeze (however little) and the human power yield a sum greater than the individual parts.  Kudos to Russ and his experts for demonstrating the potential.  In years to come, I'd say that refinements on PT Watercraft's strengths will yield impressive wins, whether it's Russ G-32 or another design similar in concept. "

Gougeon multis have been beating all kinds of boats in light conditions for decades, and they are uniquely light and cheap, but people seem largely uninterested.

Not me.  There is nothing more interesting than a sailboat, crisp in 1-2 knots of wind....

9 minutes ago, olsurfer said:

What happened?????

Watch the Facebook (tm) video when Russell makes landfall, Jeanne just has to jump in and let him know who she is..... 

post #1500

22 minutes ago, Amati said:

Watch the Facebook (tm) video when Russell makes landfall, Jeanne just has to jump in and let him know who she is....

I don't know who that was but have to agree with you.  It was a faux pas, a bizarre cutting-in-line for first hug moment with Ashlyn standing right there.  Did she not know that?  Weird.

14 minutes ago, Amati said:

Not me.  There is nothing more interesting than a sailboat, crisp in 1-2 knots of wind....

Yeah, so people say, but they don't build them much do they.  I built a Hughes, and it runs on nothing, cost about 3 grand to build, and two people could easily lift the main hull (overall 24 x 18.5), but people prefer just about anything else.  The G32 has been around for decades, nobody has copied it and precious few were ever built in the first place.  You don't see people copying what they did in Adrenaline, and on and on.  Their 60 foot (I suppose) Stressform they designed for the Ostar never got built, Phil rattled on after hydrofoils.  I mean who wants to win or place high in an Ostar for being the last boat to stop moving, I guess...

At this point, while the brothers were still alive, there was certainly plenty of interest in what they came up with but not much impact.

47 minutes ago, Tom Dl said:

Yeah, so people say, but they don't build them much do they.  I built a Hughes, and it runs on nothing, cost about 3 grand to build, and two people could easily lift the main hull (overall 24 x 18.5), but people prefer just about anything else.  The G32 has been around for decades, nobody has copied it and precious few were ever built in the first place.  You don't see people copying what they did in Adrenaline, and on and on.  Their 60 foot (I suppose) Stressform they designed for the Ostar never got built, Phil rattled on after hydrofoils.  I mean who wants to win or place high in an Ostar for being the last boat to stop moving, I guess...

At this point, while the brothers were still alive, there was certainly plenty of interest in what they came up with but not much impact.

It depends on what you ask the naval architect- the CP of Amati is sub .54 (I think), but she’ll still plane....:)

so it spreads....

1 hour ago, ProaSailor said:

I don't know who that was but have to agree with you.  It was a faux pas, a bizarre cutting-in-line for first hug moment with Ashlyn standing right there.  Did she not know that?  Weird.

Oh please, it's not like she muscled Ashlyn out of the way. He rang the bell and she congratulated him as one competitor to another. 

6 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Time and chafe have definitely been considerations, but I’m not sure if the second one has affected any of this year’s R2AK sailors :-) )

...are you kidding - just everybody was just beaten by woman...

6 minutes ago, SeaGul said:

...are you kidding - just everybody was just beaten by woman...

Women.. not Skithblathnir......

12 minutes ago, IStream said:

Oh please, it's not like she muscled Ashlyn out of the way. He rang the bell and she congratulated him as one competitor to another. 

Yes she did...

You must've been watching a different video than I did. 

There’s still the gaggle  by the dundas(s) islands, followed by Liteboat- will they be caught by the grim reaper?  

(I’m rooting for Liteboat- the new generation....and better aesthetics too...:))

Congrats to SLAG and all the other finishers - great tight racing this year, lots of really good matches to watch, all the more so for being unexpected. The meet-up of the top 3 at Bella Bella was definitely a highlight on the tracker and videos. 

I too find it tempting to fall into the trap of pointing out X team’s mistakes or lack of speed, but then I remember part of this race’s ethos is its openness to all willing adventurers - I invite anyone who thinks they could have gone faster to sign up for next year. No excuses, pick your boat and go!  

Along the way there’s plenty to learn about being cold to the bone, or sweating from hours of pedaling in glassy calms, or feeling tired to the point of hallucination from never-ending watch rotations, or worried about a turn in the weather, or dreading pushing too hard at night, straight into a log...  All the teams faced this and more this year - as in any year - and the better teams made it on top. 

I have a theory that the Grim Sweeper is fictitious. I don't think anyone has ever been "swept".

I wait to be proved wrong.

Back to the back end of the fleet, I’ve been both intrigued and marveling at Team Ravenous’ track since day 1.  Much like the Prindle 19 in 2017, it seems like they’ve decided to take the sightseeing route to Ketchikan.  Including covering only 70nm in the last 3.5 days since Campbell River, stopping about 4-5 times...  That certainly explains all the gear they were overloaded with in the start pictures (literally to the point of looking like the stern was half sinking - the Hobie 20 not having very high volumes to start with). 

The racer in me is a bit flabbergasted - in 2017 we took about 24hrs to transit Seymour and all of Johnstone Str in the Nacra 20, despite light winds, including several hours stopped in Campbell River waiting for the current. 

On the other hand, the traveler in me is very envious of all the spots they are exploring along the way.  I’m zooming all the way in on the tracker (satellite view) and genuinely enjoying seeing where they land each day. It also looks like they’ve done good research about where to stop, taking advantage of some of the better rest spots along the way — so, while random looking, I am guessing their track is everything but. 

Sounds like a mighty way to go up North.  Keep it up Ravenous, just don’t take too long or the sweeper will come calling!

So what about Trak? Has he left the boat at the landing to explore by foot the options to get to the waters of Whelakis Lagoon (to have a go at the Nakwakto Rapids as his wife hinted on Fb) and now rests for the night to portage tomorrow? Or has he tried the portage but couldn't get to the water so he gave up on the idea and will by daylight retrace his way to the open sea?

At least he will have some stories to tell in Ketchikan... (or before, since he seems to have cell service in this remote place).

Highly interesting!

4 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

One thing I do know is that there’s not enough money in the world to get me to spend a week on an m32 with a douche like you. 

Ignore.

About the girls - I must have missed the story when and where their eighth crew member has left the boat, IIRC they were eight at the start of the race?

4 hours ago, Banjo5 said:

Interesting to see Superfriends do a big charge from being locked in with Global to in the thick of the chasers. Ditto Sea to Sky. Would  be great to know how much this was tactics, how much was finally getting good weather, how much was human power, and how much was boat sailing speed (efficiency).

Superfriends big charge was probably wind based more than anything.  Being an old IOR Peterson 44, I doubt human power entered the equation - tough to propel +20,000 lb at all.  Their rowing contraption and oars looked they were just to meet regs. I'm not sure if they had a kite - in the short video of them coming in to dock, it looked like they just had a furled headsail, but they could have dropped the kite as well - IDK.  They sure sailed like they weren't flying a kite.  Most old IOR boats love the light stuff and one of this size should have been up with the leaders - or at least ahead of Lagopus and Wild Card.

Sea to Sky Sailing was mainly wind related as well. Like the SC27, the HF27 is an older lightweight design of similar vintage.  A bit faster overall than the SC, but whereas the SC is a downwind flyer, the HF is more of an upwind machine.  They really shone in the Johnstone Strait portion of the race and petty much stayed even with the newer and bigger Blue Flash. (J/88).

What hurt them the most was the first couple of days when they got slammed by 2 tidal gates and then anchored for the evening in a bay at the top end of Seymour Narrows.  Keeping them company in the bay that night was the aptly named "Fashionably Late" (the little C&C 25 that could) who was slow enough to hit both gates just as they opened up.

Anyways, the tidal gates and first sleep over probably set STS back about 20 hours in the first couple of days.  The second sleep over at Calvert Island probably set them back another 8-9 hrs.

Even so, it is unlikely a bone stock HF27 could have beaten the turboed SC27 with (allegedly) trapezing crew in this years R2AK.  Now, if someone had entered a heavily turboed HF27 like Radio Flyer below...

21073371_640.jpg

21073378_640.jpg

42 minutes ago, champ0815 said:

About the girls - I must have missed the story when and where their eighth crew member has left the boat, IIRC they were eight at the start of the race?

They left one in Victoria before the start of leg two.

5 hours ago, 12 metre said:

Superfriends big charge was probably wind based more than anything.  Being an old IOR Peterson 44, I doubt human power entered the equation - tough to propel +20,000 lb at all.  Their rowing contraption and oars looked they were just to meet regs. I'm not sure if they had a kite - in the short video of them coming in to dock, it looked like they just had a furled headsail, but they could have dropped the kite as well - IDK.  They sure sailed like they weren't flying a kite.  Most old IOR boats love the light stuff and one of this size should have been up with the leaders - or at least ahead of Lagopus and Wild Card.

Sea to Sky Sailing was mainly wind related as well. Like the SC27, the HF27 is an older lightweight design of similar vintage.  A bit faster overall than the SC, but whereas the SC is a downwind flyer, the HF is more of an upwind machine.  They really shone in the Johnstone Strait portion of the race and petty much stayed even with the newer and bigger Blue Flash. (J/88).

What hurt them the most was the first couple of days when they got slammed by 2 tidal gates and then anchored for the evening in a bay at the top end of Seymour Narrows.  Keeping them company in the bay that night was the aptly named "Fashionably Late" (the little C&C 25 that could) who was slow enough to hit both gates just as they opened up.

Anyways, the tidal gates and first sleep over probably set STS back about 20 hours in the first couple of days.  The second sleep over at Calvert Island probably set them back another 8-9 hrs.

Even so, it is unlikely a bone stock HF27 could have beaten the turboed SC27 with (allegedly) trapezing crew in this years R2AK.  Now, if someone had entered a heavily turboed HF27 like Radio Flyer below...

21073371_640.jpg

21073378_640.jpg

Would an Antrim 27 be good enough upwind?  

6 hours ago, Tunnel Rat said:

I have a theory that the Grim Sweeper is fictitious. I don't think anyone has ever been "swept".

I wait to be proved wrong.

The first year the Grim Sweeper was on the tracker, picking off boats.  It was big fun, seemed very much in keeping with the attitude of the race.  (My wife is still convinced there was intentional Grim Sweeper avoidance :lol:).  It’s a nice way to give everybody a nod.  

7 hours ago, champ0815 said:

So what about Trak? Has he left the boat at the landing to explore by foot the options to get to the waters of Whelakis Lagoon (to have a go at the Nakwakto Rapids as his wife hinted on Fb) and now rests for the night to portage tomorrow? Or has he tried the portage but couldn't get to the water so he gave up on the idea and will by daylight retrace his way to the open sea?

At least he will have some stories to tell in Ketchikan... (or before, since he seems to have cell service in this remote place).

Highly interesting!

It does appear that he has abandon the portage idea for some reason (maybe a locked gate?) and is retracing his steps.  A major setback...

retrace.thumb.png.3f4af83f63e028c9cfd2c3baa34a174b.png

Sea to Sky in soon- I’ve been lazy depending on SA to get the feed from the finish, so I don’t know where to find it- any linkies?

15 minutes ago, Amati said:

Sea to Sky in soon- I’ve been lazy depending on SA to get the feed from the finish, so I don’t know where to find it- any linkies?

Dude, they arrived yesterday at 1352 PDT!  Their tracker has been stuck since just before they finished:

https://r2ak.com/2018-race-results/
https://www.facebook.com/pg/racetoalaska/videos/

21 hours ago, kimbottles said:

And maybe team with mostest money is the winning-the-prize team?  Anyone guesses on that team’s budget? 

20 minutes ago, p2x4x said:

And maybe team with mostest money is the winning-the-prize team?  Anyone guesses on that team’s budget? 

From the SLAG facebook page: 

Join in the cause and help Sail Like a Girl raise funds and awareness for the The Breast Cancer Research Foundation through this year's The Pink Boat Regatta! Well be donating all proceeds after race expenses to this amazing organization!

Besides the prize money, any guesses on how much money will actually go to BCRF? 

It's not all the prize money.

They said after they pay out some bills, the rest will be donated.

Just saying.

1 hour ago, despacio avenue said:

Who is Russell and what is he sailing? 

Just another guy on a boat.

Oh, and this is his thread.

3 hours ago, despacio avenue said:

Who is Russell and what is he sailing? 

PT Watercraft (google it) (I love their  11’ nesting dinghy...).

What's he sailing?  See R2AK.com, Teams/Full Race.   

6 hours ago, Amati said:

Would an Antrim 27 be good enough upwind?  

Even better - but I was just comparing two older 27 footers that happened to be in R2AK this year

Lots of boats in that size range that could have done as well or better.  Besides an A27, a small partial list would include: L28, J/27, Express 27, Moore 24, M 242.  The L28 would also be the comfortable ride followed by the HF27 and then the M 242.  Don't think I would want to do R2AK on an A27 - although even that would be more luxurious than either M32 (both mono and multi)

1 hour ago, 12 metre said:

Even better - but I was just comparing two older 27 footers that happened to be in R2AK this year

Lots of boats in that size range that could have done as well or better.  Besides an A27, a small partial list would include: L28, J/27, Express 27, Moore 24, M 242.  The L28 would also be the comfortable ride followed by the HF27 and then the M 242.  Don't think I would want to do R2AK on an A27 - although even that would be more luxurious than either M32 (both mono and multi)

There's an S2 7.9 (26') in the race this year also. That's a good all around boat, and comfortable. Probably not going to beat an Antrim or Express for line honors, though.

2 hours ago, 12 metre said:

laser 28 would be excellent

30 minutes ago, mookiesurfs said:

There's an S2 7.9 (26') in the race this year also. That's a good all around boat, and comfortable. Probably not going to beat an Antrim or Express for line honors, though.

Line honours/first to finish  is pretty ambitious for just about all but a specialized, dedicated race program, no? I mean, I can’t see an Express 27 winning... (Which is why two Montgomery 17s have done it - R2AK’s “run what you brung” philosophy - although I don’t think there’s much “run” in a Monty 17!  :-) )

3 hours ago, Foiling Optimist said:

Russell is the Loick Peyron of the pacific northwest.

Moitissier?  Except I don’t see Russell tending dirt...

22 minutes ago, Amati said:

Moitissier?  Except I don’t see Russell tending dirt...

I thought maybe, the Yves Parlier of the PNW (Parlier’s nickname was/is, in French, “the extra-terrestrial” for his unusual and quasi-super-human skills in the Vendee-Globe, etc... :-)

Team Buckeye, the Hurley 17 bilge keeler with two Ohio guys, is outta the race (and in a somewhat remote area of Johnstone Strait).  Bowsprit failure - a possibly homemade affair that’s maybe more a triumph of hope than engineering.  (We passed them in Juan de Fuca Strait, one of them lying on top of the arrangement at the bow.  “Everything ok?” I called out.  “Yup, just dealing with the bowsprit,” came the reply.  I guess it finally gave up, and they said they didn’t have time to repair (remote location) and carry on (says their FB page; where pic is from ).  No doubt a hard decision after coming so far...and from Ohio!  Big commitment from there to take on an adventure race like R2AK.  And a long trek home from where they are now: http://tracker.r2ak.com/

Only a few small sailboats left.

Go Liteboat!  

46CFDEE7-C7E7-4E4D-9ACA-16FDF3EBA3B9.png

I saw them installing the wooden repair, shown above, in Victoria a day or two before the leg 2 start.

Too bad it didn't hold.

4 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Line honours/first to finish  is pretty ambitious for just about all but a specialized, dedicated race program, no? I mean, I can’t see an Express 27 winning... (Which is why two Montgomery 17s have done it - R2AK’s “run what you brung” philosophy - although I don’t think there’s much “run” in a Monty 17!  :-) )

Certainly have to be dedicated in the sense of the will to win - and by that I don't mean simply the desire to win.  Could an Express 27 have won this year?  Sure, why not?  The guys on the SC27 came pretty damn close - just one wrong move a day or two before the finish.  Remarkable run by those guys no matter how you frame it.

I wonder if the dick (had to be a guy) who wrote this drivel the other day (here):

Their victory sidestepped the “Yeah, but they should have done this…” bullshit from couch-bound whoevers...
[...]
While the wind and a spineless element of the Internet might have failed them...

is the same tough guy genius who thinks a spike through $10K of crisp new bills is badass cool?

spiked_money.thumb.jpg.bb9afc378d312bd60d18aaf265ff6281.jpg

Regarding the "spineless element of the Internet" pejorative, does he really think there would have been any less "mansplaining" if this team were all men?  I think not.

And the spiked Benjamins?  Dumb idea.  Arguably illegal?

https://www.moneyfactory.gov/resources/lawsandregulations.html

Defacement of Currency

Defacement of currency is a violation of Title 18, Section 333 of the United States Code. Under this provision, currency defacement is generally defined as follows: Whoever mutilates, cuts, disfigures, perforates, unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, Federal Reserve Bank, or Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such item(s) unfit to be reissued, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both. 

@ProaSailor

Email R2AK and formally complain about the article. I did......  and as much as we spineless tracker junkies were accused of “mansplaining” all the mistakes “The Girls” made, the irony was that they had the race effectively handed to them on a plate by a mistake that “Wild Card” made.....

There was talk above about logs in the water in these parts. I’ve seen lots, even hit a few (slowly).

Yes, there really are sometimes lots of logs on this coast...

Team Global’s log of logs (via NW Maritime Centre Facebook page).  Madness!

2C1B6177-1D6D-4052-B0A0-D661F44BE60E.png

Cheap fast boat  that can win R2AK? 

Dragonfly 25 - the original very light with fixed beams - some are still around. Tall carbon stick - maybe c-beems - (from a broke carbon stick - ask Randy) better rudder and dagger + a spear and some big sails. A good pedal station. Autopilot. Then single handed extremely light  - and hope for a light wind sail. To a project like this you can probably get used sail etc.

The tri can be sailed relatively safe while sleeping - depending on the conditions. But for a 3-4 days race you really dont need too much sleep.   

11 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

PT Watercraft (google it) (I love their  11’ nesting dinghy...).

What's he sailing?  See R2AK.com, Teams/Full Race.   

Thanks; have been watching the Daily Clips, reading the thread, not clear what his boat was named and the Teams/Full race on R2AK.com showed this boat with a 3 person crew. I did google the boat; very interesting. So is Russell.

Coming up to 3am & Team Fashionably Late is living up to its name ... arriving in Ketchikan either very late, or very early ...

5 hours ago, SeaGul said:

Cheap fast boat  that can win R2AK? 

Dragonfly 25 - the original very light with fixed beams - some are still around. Tall carbon stick - maybe c-beems - (from a broke carbon stick - ask Randy) better rudder and dagger + a spear and some big sails. A good pedal station. Autopilot. Then single handed extremely light  - and hope for a light wind sail. To a project like this you can probably get used sail etc.

The tri can be sailed relatively safe while sleeping - depending on the conditions. But for a 3-4 days race you really dont need too much sleep.   

My put on a good boat would be something like a small Newick with swing up leeboards- I think the swept up nature of the bows would tend to slide up over deadheads, and swing up foils might minimize damage clonking into soggy wood- the G32 was in the neighborhood.

so all that brilliance, and of course we have a L7 for the R2AK with ~ vertical-ish stems and a big daggerboard in the center hull, all waiting to be bashed into splinters upon banging into a semi floating piece of disaster.  Swing up rudder though!

A cheap frankenboat might be a tri with Hobie 14 or 16 amas and some sort of 16 ish center hull.

Tremolino! :)  

Edit- could you get by with just swing up rudders?  

10 hours ago, Amati said:

My put on a good boat would be something like a small Newick with swing up leeboards- I think the swept up nature of the bows would tend to slide up over deadheads, and swing up foils might minimize damage clonking into soggy wood- the G32 was in the neighborhood.

so all that brilliance, and of course we have a L7 for the R2AK with ~ vertical-ish stems and a big daggerboard in the center hull, all waiting to be bashed into splinters upon banging into a semi floating piece of disaster.  Swing up rudder though!

A cheap frankenboat might be a tri with Hobie 14 or 16 amas and some sort of 16 ish center hull.

Tremolino! :)  

Edit- could you get by with just swing up rudders?  

Do you think this will fit the bill? https://www.facebook.com/TeamACER2AK2019/

(Images too large to attach here)

I think this tri is well suited for R2AK. Both the centerboard and rudder are kick up with an adjustable pressure sensitive automatic release on both. Without a motor, it weighs 900lbs. Three hundred and seventy five sq. ft. of main and working jib plus a good sized chute. It lacks a pedal drive at this time.

No surprise it is another one of Russell's creations, with a nod to Paul Bieker and Nigel Irens for their input.

tri-a-little.jpg

11 minutes ago, olsurfer said:

I think this tri is well suited for R2AK. Both the centerboard and rudder are kick up with an adjustable pressure sensitive automatic release on both. Without a motor, it weighs 900lbs. Three hundred and seventy five sq. ft. of main and working jib plus a good sized chute. It lacks a pedal drive at this time.

No surprise it is another one of Russell's creations, with a nod to Paul Bieker and Nigel Irens for their input.

tri-a-little.jpg

Maybe russell can comment on where that tri ended up?

Just now, ASP said:

Maybe russell can comment on where that tri ended up?

It's in my backyard.

3 hours ago, olsurfer said:

It's in my backyard.

How approachable was Irens?  Small project, you’d think, for him....

10 hours ago, olsurfer said:

It's in my backyard.

Is it for sale :P?

12 hours ago, olsurfer said:

tri-a-little.jpg

That would be a great boat for the R2AK... beautiful boat and really well built.  Sailed on her once and she is very easily driven.  The main hull is is very skinny and thus didn't seem to have the speed hump at lower speeds that most of the F boats have.  A trade off of interior volume for low wind speed performance.  If I remember it right, the boat was originally built with tornado amas.  They didn't have enough volume and thus the owner somehow convinced Nigel Irens to draw up some amas...last I checked Russell still has those molds.    Someone has to take that boat next year.

Skinny middle hull, mmmmmmmm :wub:

the bows have basically the same shape as our L7, and I’m wondering if anyone has views if that’s the best shape for surving deadhead strikes, vs the Hobie/ Newick shape, which I imagine tending to slide over slimy wood.  The closest I’ve come to hitting anything on a Hobie was crewing for a guy who loved to hit a rock beach at speed, sliding up the beach.  The rudders would rotate out of the way.  Wee! :blink:  He would slide over wood floatsome (or is it jetsome?) too, once in a while....

Most times it didn’t even scratch the hulls.  Even as an idiot teenager, I didn’t think it right.  I mentioned my concerns to him, and was promptly disinvited.  Watched him do it from afar for years after that, which got me thinking....

Anybody here ever hit a deadhead on a banana hulled Hobie?

The Verminator...he's moving north finally through the Seymour...http://tracker.r2ak.com/

I hope he built some oars, Superfriends style, while he parked for 2 days.

1 hour ago, Amati said:

the bows have basically the same shape as our L7, and I’m wondering if anyone has views if that’s the best shape for surving deadhead strikes, vs the Hobie/ Newick shape, which I imagine tending to slide over slimy wood.  The closest I’ve come to hitting anything on a Hobie was crewing for a guy who loved to hit a rock beach at speed, sliding up the beach.  The rudders would rotate out of the way.  Wee! :blink:  He would slide over wood floatsome (or is it jetsome?) too, once in a while....

Seems like the old school bows would tend to go up and over stuff easier....if that was the only consideration.  We raced in 2016 with a more modern bow shape--plumb bows with just a slight bottom radius.   During the day you can steer around most of the junk in the water... its at night that it becomes more concerning.  We had a HID spot built into the end of our bowsprit that we would turn on at night to help us see stuff in the water.  But we still managed to hit a small log at 8 knots South of Cape cautiion that took a chunk out of the bow.  The boat was designed with 2 feet of sacrificial foam in the bow to absorb those kind of blows without losing watertight integrity.  So lots of options out there for different boats.

1 minute ago, foiledagain said:

Seems like the old school bows would tend to go up and over stuff easier....if that was the only consideration.  We raced in 2016 with a more modern bow shape--plumb bows with just a slight bottom radius.   During the day you can steer around most of the junk in the water... its at night that it becomes more concerning.  We had a HID spot built into the end of our bowsprit that we would turn on at night to help us see stuff in the water.  But we still managed to hit a small log at 8 knots South of Cape cautiion that took a chunk out of the bow.  The boat was designed with 2 feet of sacrificial foam in the bow to absorb those kind of blows without losing watertight integrity.  So lots of options out there for different boats.

Granted there are other considerations, like speed :), but it seems not stopping is important for placing well, so would the ability to press hard at night, or when fatigued  be worth the performance hit during the day?  Did you continue the race without stopping after the deadhead strike?   

I suppose accepting a DNF is an initial design consideration.  Hadn’t really dwelled on that....

Liteboat finishes in a couple hrs today.

Oaracle reaches the 2nd checkpoint and the near mythical Shearwater burger.

Dock Rat has made the narrows, looks like with a fair wind, they say if you don't like the weather in Johnstone Strait, wait 3 days...

The R2AK Daily fix..young, dumb and full of Ketchicum...oh wait....https://r2ak.com/2018-daily-updates/2018-day-10-interview-with-team-blueflash-young-dumb-and-full-of-ketchikan-and-we-mean-that-in-the-best-way/

R2AK is on the bucket list but not as a solo.

I don't know how Donald got Nigel to design the amas. I do know that Donald and Russell became good friends and when Donald passed away, Russell and Paul Bieker bought back the tri, which tells ya something about the boat, and as Russell says Paul sailed the shit out of her without any issues while Russell worried about her. 

When I got her, she needed some brightwork, new outboard, tramps and new sails. Russell called Randy Smyth and they cooked up a new main and jib for her.  I'm not sure what the best pedal system will be and how it would be installed.

I have the molds for her as well but it would require some additional engineering/Russell magic to build another Humdinger. The build quality of this tri is stunning and an example of what an amazing craftsman Russell is. It is a floating piece of art and should be in a museum.

102_1664 (640x480).jpg

102_1661 (800x600).jpg

KIMG0031 (640x480).jpg

1 minute ago, Amati said:

Granted there are other considerations, like speed :), but it seems not stopping is important for placing well, so would the ability to press hard at night, or when fatigued  be worth the performance hit during the day?  Did you continue the race without stopping after the deadhead strike?   

I suppose accepting a DNF is an initial design consideration.  Hadn’t really dwelled on that....

We didn't stop after hitting it... just kept racing.  It was mostly light winds when we were sailing at night and thus we did not have any second thoughts about sailing as fast as we could.  The last night a gale came through Dixon entrance and we opted to shelter because our boat can be on the edge in those conditions.  The bigger boats (all the boats in front of us) stayed out in it-- although talking to them later they got pounded.

19 minutes ago, olsurfer said:

I don't know how Donald got Nigel to design the amas. I do know that Donald and Russell became good friends and when Donald passed away, Russell and Paul Bieker bought back the tri, which tells ya something about the boat, and as Russell says Paul sailed the shit out of her without any issues while Russell worried about her. 

When I got her, she needed some brightwork, new outboard, tramps and new sails. Russell called Randy Smyth and they cooked up a new main and jib for her.  I'm not sure what the best pedal system will be and how it would be installed.

I have the molds for her as well but it would require some additional engineering/Russell magic to build another Humdinger. The build quality of this tri is stunning and an example of what an amazing craftsman Russell is. It is a floating piece of art and should be in a museum.

102_1664 (640x480).jpg

102_1661 (800x600).jpg

KIMG0031 (640x480).jpg

:wub:

1 hour ago, Norse Horse said:

The Verminator...he's moving north finally through the Seymour...http://tracker.r2ak.com/

I hope he built some oars, Superfriends style, while he parked for 2 days.

Or, at least, hope that the Race Boss(es) give the guy some slack so he isn’t swept up in the Grim Sweeper’s dust pan... :-). 

He paid his $750 or whatever entry fee; he survived a gale and a beaching; he re-floated; he re-started; he’s going through the gate.  Surely there must be some sort of “prize” for him in Ketchikan?  A hooker and some blow?  (That’s Ketchikan fishing slang for a guided day charter salmon fishing and diving. Actually, I just made that up.)

:-) 

8 minutes ago, olsurfer said:

102_1664 (640x480).jpg

102_1661 (800x600).jpg

KIMG0031 (640x480).jpg

Very Cool pictures thanks for posting those!  Really hope you make it to the race next year. 

I am planning on doing it in Felix again (with some mods).  Also it looks like Team Pear shaped will be back next year with a new faster boat.  Could be a lot of fun!

Want! Now!

16 hours ago, olsurfer said:

tri-a-little.jpg

14 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

Want! Now!

Let's not forget about Team Pear Shaped's Multi 23 also sitting in a back yard. This is a great boat COMPLETELY retrofitted for the R2AK. The only thing missing is a decent pedal drive and two HARDY souls to drive her. I owned a Multi 23 for years and know that in the right hands it could be a contender. 

1 hour ago, D Wayne G said:

Let's not forget about Team Pear Shaped's Multi 23 also sitting in a back yard. This is a great boat COMPLETELY retrofitted for the R2AK. The only thing missing is a decent pedal drive and two HARDY souls to drive her. I owned a Multi 23 for years and know that in the right hands it could be a contender. 

They were leading the pack to Nanaimo last year...great sailors and a dialed in boat.

Talking of great sailors and dialed in boats...Wayne are you thinking about R2AK 2019?

5 hours ago, Amati said:

Skinny middle hull, mmmmmmmm :wub:

Most times it didn’t even scratch the hulls.  Even as an idiot teenager, I didn’t think it right.  I mentioned my concerns to him, and was promptly disinvited.  Watched him do it from afar for years after that, which got me thinking....

Anybody here ever hit a deadhead on a banana hulled Hobie?

Flotsam:  Debris that has floated off of a beach or down a river.

Jetsam:  Debris that has been tossed off a ship.

Deadhead:  Vanishing species known to have traveled widely in hopes of finding musical nirvana surrounded by like-minded souls.  Usually not associated with getting wet.