Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Russell Brown

R2AK 2018

4 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

For sale on Yachtworld.  I think I remember reading (on their FB page) the Senior Officials of Team Pear Shaped are requiring any purchaser to promise not to compete against them in 2019 :-)

Almost wish you could rent it for R2AK...would sure be a fun ride!

Maybe you can. That boat is a leathal weapon in light air and no slouch downwind in a breeze. It’s only soft underbelly is lack of crew comfort but compared to a beach cat it is downright commodious.

7 hours ago, Left Shift said:

Flotsam:  Debris that has floated off of a beach or down a river.

Jetsam:  Debris that has been tossed off a ship.

Deadhead:  Vanishing species known to have traveled widely in hopes of finding musical nirvana surrounded by like-minded souls.  Usually not associated with getting wet.

Actually both flotsam and jetsom come from vessels. Flotsam is washed off Jetsom is thrown off. See NOAA's definition:

You may have heard of 'flotsam and jetsam' from the movies, but do you know the meaning of the words? While the phrase 'flotsam and jetsam' is often used to describe 'odds and ends,' each word has a specific meaning under maritime law.

Flotsam and jetsam are terms that describe two types of marine debris associated with vessels. Flotsam is defined as debris in the water that was not deliberately thrown overboard, often as a result from a shipwreck or accident. Jetsam describes debris that was deliberately thrown overboard by a crew of a ship in distress, most often to lighten the ship's load. The word flotsam derives from the French word floter, to float. Jetsam is a shortened word for jettison.

Under maritime law the distinction is important. Flotsam may be claimed by the original owner, whereas jetsam may be claimed as property of whoever discovers it. If the jetsam is valuable, the discoverer may collect proceeds received though the sale of the salvaged objects.

NOAA's Marine Debris Program's mission is to investigate and remove problems that stem from marine debris to protect and conserve our nation's marine environment, natural resources, industries, economy, and people. Marine debris is defined as any persistent solid material that is manufactured or processed and directly or indirectly, intentionally or unintentionally, disposed of or abandoned into the marine environment or the Great Lakes.

A majority of the trash and debris that covers our beaches and floats in our ocean comes from storm drains and sewers, as well as from shoreline and recreational activities such as picnicking and beachgoing. Abandoned or discarded fishing gear is also a major problem because this trash can entangle, injure, maim, and drown marine wildlife and damage property.

https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/flotsam-jetsam.html

16 hours ago, Sidecar said:

@ASP

Some back yard!!! Just how many other potential R2AK winners do you have back there!!!!!

F3FE3F22-7A97-4048-AF2E-CC5C26DB7AB5.jpeg

That backyard is giving me um, feelings...

Cool and damp for the self propelled near Bella Bella. https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/bc-94_metric_e.html

Dock Rat moving north in Johnstone Strait, bringing up the tail end...http://tracker.r2ak.com/

Great shot of Liteboat here. https://www.facebook.com/NorthwestYachting/photos/a.1857847887633103.1073741833.401872203230686/1857848420966383/?type=3&theater

Hot links not working for me again...where's my coffee...

Congrats to Liteboat!

Did they have enough sail area for drifting conditions?  I’m guesstimating their wetted surface at ~ 40sq ft, which would put their SA/WS at about 2+ (main ~100 sq ft? ) which can be a bit pokey upwind in the really light.  They doubled SA downwind, so about 4.  I’ve found 3&6 crisp, but maybe that wouldn’t have been possible with a light unstayed mast, which seems central to their concept?

Way to go Liteboat!  They won the $1000 side bet from Small Craft Advisor Magazine for the first boat to Ketchikan under 20 feet.  I think the other bonus is that they will be on the cover of the magazine too.

Really like the new boat design!  Fills a very unique niche of a boat that is extremely easy to rig, sails very well , and rows well too.  Would be a great raid boat.

52 minutes ago, foiledagain said:

Way to go Liteboat!  They won the $1000 side bet from Small Craft Advisor Magazine for the first boat to Ketchikan under 20 feet.  I think the other bonus is that they will be on the cover of the magazine too.

Really like the new boat design!  Fills a very unique niche of a boat that is extremely easy to rig, sails very well , and rows well too.  Would be a great raid boat.

What happened to the tri of last year. I thought that the stability of a tri will make it easier during raids.

11 minutes ago, dsackman said:

What happened to the tri of last year. I thought that the stability of a tri will make it easier during raids.

The mono that Liteboat brought this year will be a lot simpler boat.... and simpler to manufacture which brings the cost down.  It would be interesting to ask Matt which one he thought was faster in this type of event.

2 hours ago, foiledagain said:

The mono that Liteboat brought this year will be a lot simpler boat.... and simpler to manufacture which brings the cost down.  It would be interesting to ask Matt which one he thought was faster in this type of event.

Can’t get through to the website, but IIRR the XP has a ballasted centerboard, weighs less than the tri, and has less wetted surface area than the tri,  which would seem to imply that under what, 4-5 knots, things are weighted towards rowing, or ‘motor sailing’.

Wonder if this year’s drift fest might lead to some rig development, or a dedicated 2 man boat?  ( I know, it’s only money)

The XP is such a great concept, but I wonder if 2 up was pushing things a bit as far as displacement.....

30 minutes ago, Amati said:

Can’t get through to the website, but IIRR the XP has a ballasted centerboard, weighs less than the tri, and has less wetted surface area than the tri,  which would seem to imply that under what, 4-5 knots, things are weighted towards rowing, or ‘motor sailing’.

Wonder if this year’s drift fest might lead to some rig development, or a dedicated 2 man boat?  ( I know, it’s only money)

The XP is such a great concept, but I wonder if 2 up was pushing things a bit as far as displacement.....

I would love to see the tri set up as a 2-person boat - replacing the rowing station with two pedal / peddle drives. Also replace the free-standing mast with at least a running back-stay/shroud to tighten up the forestay / jib for upwind sailing.

The tri does not appear to be available as a production boat on the web site. 

49 minutes ago, Amati said:

Seems like I have seen this year's Litebboat at 8+ knots quite a few times and don't remember the tri ever hitting those speeds.

Seems like they had to be overweight with two guys and all their gear...still did well though.

2 hours ago, dsackman said:

I would love to see the tri set up as a 2-person boat - replacing the rowing station with two pedal / peddle drives. Also replace the free-standing mast with at least a running back-stay/shroud to tighten up the forestay / jib for upwind sailing.

The tri does not appear to be available as a production boat on the web site. 

That tri is for sale. Don't think it is a production boat. The new Lightboat is in production. Pricing is on their web site.

I really admire Liteboat’s willingness to commit what look to be prototypes to a race of the R2AK’s magnitude.

And a planing hull too? :wub:

I’d like to think they are headed to a breakthrough.  As long as they are doing the Russell Brown civilized rest-at-night race strategy, a single helm XP with some sort of short hiking plank also moving longitudinally  (( maybe folding hiking wings ~ a Swedish sailing canoe?)  that was integrated into the sliding seat, or integrated into a pedal unit) might make enough difference vs the righting moment of 2 sailors while sailing, and lighten the boat enough to where she would be starting to get closer in performance to a 10sq m class B sailing canoe with a small spinnaker, with the same rig she has now.  Wouldn’t take much...

I know these are too extreme, but as a general example of the idea, ignore shrouds, canoe stern,  and jibs :P.  I reckon if the XP can take two sailors on the rail, it could take a small plank for one sailor.  I think the K1 is a good example of what a ballasted daggerboard can do.....

class d sailing canoe with little wings

d-class-canoe-jpg.54339

Class b int sailing canoe

EA87641D-E9D7-4250-8E3C-A4C1FAED91A5.gif

13 minutes ago, foiledagain said:

Seems like I have seen this year's Litebboat at 8+ knots quite a few times and don't remember the tri ever hitting those speeds.

Seems like they had to be overweight with two guys and all their gear...still did well though.

Also, 2016 with the tri, there was only one person aboard. Mat is a rower - not a sailor. He was looking for sailor to assist him this year and Erwan joined him. There dos not appear to be enough space on the tri for two people and there is no protection at all.

2018 Day 12: An interview so nice they did it twice

After some Tracker Chat with Katy Stewart from Team Global, Race Boss Daniel Evans takes a second swing at hitting the red button, and this time succeeds in recording the R2AK insights and sage-like wisdom of Team PT Watercraft’s solo sailing wonder: Russell Brown, who spends a lot of time talking about logs (trust us, it’s way more interesting than it sounded right there).

It's the third cast of the 2018 race and Team Global Captain is already thinking about doing it again (don't believe her believe us). And micro legend Russell Brown, master of all things multihull talks with Daniel. Russel wins every time, because being first isn't winning to him. And who said bloodlust?

What a wet day for the self propelled. Hard to leave Shearwater or Klemtu right now.

http://tracker.r2ak.com/

https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/bc-94_metric_e.html

Lost Boys F24 making 7.4 knots into US waters and a finish today.

A 5 day wait for the last 5 teams to finish...

Dock Rat towed himself into Port McNeil late last night. Wonder if he will try the Nahwitti bar crossing with the tide or maybe God's Pocket.

Pacific pilot book entry below

https://books.google.ca/books?id=a2gDAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA48&lpg=PA48&dq=nahwitti+bar+dangers&source=bl&ots=Op8ufZFUYQ&sig=VrX0Xf0SJJkI9dXS0TJ3yC0p02I&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj459u-6fvbAhXBIDQIHRwKAYQQ6AEIcjAP#v=onepage&q=nahwitti%20bar%20dangers&f=false

15 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

Dock Rat towed himself into Port McNeil late last night. Wonder if he will try the Nahwitti bar crossing with the tide or maybe God's Pocket.

May he escape the nautical scythe of the Grim Sweeper... :-)

3 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

What a wet day for the self propelled. Hard to leave Shearwater or Klemtu right now.

https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/bc-94_metric_e.html

Lost Boys F24 making 7.4 knots into US waters and a finish today.

Pacific pilot book entry below

https://books.google.ca/books?id=a2gDAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA48&lpg=PA48&dq=nahwitti+bar+dangers&source=bl&ots=Op8ufZFUYQ&sig=VrX0Xf0SJJkI9dXS0TJ3yC0p02I&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj459u-6fvbAhXBIDQIHRwKAYQQ6AEIcjAP#v=onepage&q=nahwitti bar dangers&f=false

Find Ketchikan, Lost Boys!

Looks like Dock Rat prefers nocturnal activity...he made it to Port Hardy overnight after what looks like a slow passage. He was towing himself in this morning likely to hole up for the day. At this rate he has to accelerate the rat race and get fair wind to beat the Grim Exterminator...

Trak just did the crack of Susan this morning, any narrower and it would be a portage...will he cross and paddle through Klemtu for a look?

Torrent's tracker location looks like it is inside the motel room this morning...;)

Ravenous docked or anchored just outside of downtown Shearwater, docks must be full on the holiday weekend.

The Angus Rowcruiser made it to Butedale and will need a fair tide to get out of the wind armpit. The old cannery and nearby waterfall are a good place to explore if you have the time.

Oaracle spent the night on a gravel beach. Today they cross the Bay of 5 Different Winds and enter the Grenville, with tidal currents to 4 knots. Navionics Webapp

1 hour ago, Norse Horse said:

Looks like Dock Rat prefers nocturnal activity...he made it to Port Hardy overnight after what looks like a slow passage. He was towing himself in this morning likely to hole up for the day. At this rate he has to accelerate the rat race and get fair wind to beat the Grim Exterminator...

Trak just did the crack of Susan this morning, any narrower and it would be a portage...will he cross and paddle through Klemtu for a look?

Torrent's tracker location looks like it is inside the motel room this morning...;)

Ravenous docked or anchored just outside of downtown Shearwater, docks must be full on the holiday weekend.

The Angus Rowcruiser made it to Butedale and will need a fair tide to get out of the wind armpit. The old cannery and nearby waterfall are a good place to explore if you have the time.

Oaracle spent the night on a gravel beach. Today they cross the Bay of 5 Different Winds and enter the Grenville, with tidal currents to 4 knots. Navionics Webapp

Great “play-by-play” write up!  Makes it come alive, now that the “big” boats are all in.

3 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Great “play-by-play” write up!  Makes it come alive, now that the “big” boats are all in.

And good thing for it or I would have completely missed that Doc Rat had moved from McNeil Bay, overnight, to Port Hardy!

1 hour ago, BarfBag said:

And good thing for it or I would have completely missed that Doc Rat had moved from McNeil Bay, overnight, to Port Hardy!

I think we all know the ending already...

7f102bd8fa57d172bd71a90ed7864912.jpg

Well, for our R2AK tracker junky withdrawal, we have the SHTP tracker (about 900nm to go to Hawaii) https://www.jibeset.net/gpswatch.php?FA=JACKY_T00254104_1_1013718015,

complete with a developing tropical storm (named Fabio) to the SE of the rhumb line, which may make things interesting (see recent pic of wx overlay on tracker below).

And, for the longer term, the Golden Globe Race tracker - just started today - about 24,800nm (7-9 months?) to go!  http://goldengloberace.com/livetracker/ (download the YB tracker: see link).  For those with very long term habits :-)

But back to R2AK junkies.  This group conversation with past and present R2AK teams in Ketchikan sounds like it could be an interesting listen for those considering R2AK or those simply interested in the experience of various teams/boat types over the last four years the race has been run: https://r2ak.com/2018-daily-updates/2018-day-13-racer-round-up-part-1-waiting-for-fusion/ (“It’s a roundtable featuring 11 teams that span all four years of the race. They pull up a chair and search for answers to questions often unanswerable, or at least arguable. It’s a geek session, but it’s from the horse’s mouth.”

FBE5FFE2-82FB-4C3D-BEC7-34B1993EBC55.jpeg

...and we have a race in Sweden - Gotland Rundt - 10 small multis - offshore - start in Stockholm -out the islands - then into open sea and around Gotland an back.

http://race.ksss.se/sv/AFOR/Leaderboard/#/SRS MH

3 Seacart 30s - 2 seem to have withdrawn - one F32SR - withdrawn - 2 DF32s one doing good. Kiss T30 going good and Corsair 31OD + F33. They are up against Cookson 50 - IMOCA 60 and SWAN 50 and other big hot monos. Swedens primary race. 

Bonita - the remaining SC30 is close to take the lead in the race - and it started 10min after the hottest monos.

F33 Carbon Tiger flipped - men saved by the coast guard... its windy -gennakers...and waves.. trackers not reliable - DF800 is back in good pace -T30 not to be seen.

F32SR teared out the track from the mast. 

And not to forget the mother of all tracker junking months long mainline drip of slow moving vessels. The Golden Globe Race: http://goldengloberace.com/livetracker/ So far they seem to be moving about as fast as the larger R2Ak boats but without the passing picturesque islands to give some sense of movement. 

4 minutes ago, Foiling Optimist said:

And not to forget the mother of all tracker junking months long mainline drip of slow moving vessels. The Golden Globe Race: http://goldengloberace.com/livetracker/ So far they seem to be moving about as fast as the larger R2Ak boats but without the passing picturesque islands to give some sense of movement. 

...and I even know one of them and have sailed on his then trimaran 56 Undorousa...Are Wiig... hes well prepared - sat a record going singlehanded from south to the north tip - in the winther in one week with that boat hes starting in.

I wonder if a new thread should be started.

This one is called R2AK 2018 after all...

On 7/1/2018 at 8:40 AM, Norse Horse said:

https://www.facebook.com/racetoalaska/posts/1539681292826203
07/02/2018 11:41am, DTG: 458.1 mi

Latest update & photo from Dock Rat:

“Hey guys made port Harvey. [Hardy] Today after 15 hrs of upwind sailing. I was going to get across the sound today but getting here took about 8 hrs longer than I anticipated and once I was on the water last nightI knew I'd have to consider other option so I hugged the cost and ran for here as the tide changed. Whew!
There is a Gail coming through tonight and tomorrow so I won't attempt the queen Charlotte straight and sound until Tues morning.

port_hardy.png.8db2e0751c541823b646ba3efe88413f.png

The "team" closest to Ketchikan now is OaracleDTG: 173.97 mi

zzz...

3 hours ago, ProaSailor said:

port_hardy.png.8db2e0751c541823b646ba3efe88413f.pngThe "team" closest to Ketchikan now is OaracleDTG: 173.97 mi

zzz...

Just remember, none of the teams is doing this for your viewing pleasure...

Nap on :-)

On 6/28/2018 at 3:36 PM, foiledagain said:

Sounds really good.... would love to see what you have in mind.  Felix will be back in the water soon and you are welcome to come over for a sail sometime if it could help you get a feel for the pluses and minuses of this type of cat.  I will be adding a couple feet to the transoms and swapping the fun z-foils for more conservative foils this next winter.

I'll look forward to following along with these mods, and how they work out Brandon. I've really learned a lot from everything you've shared so far. Have you had the chance to sail head to head with Russell and his G32? It would be an interesting comparison. Felix is a lightweight flyer as well for sure. And heavy weather proven to boot.
cheers, Andrew

Didn't get around to checking up here since mid last week. Lot's of interesting discussion, especially the part on various R2AK boat choices and preferences. It's my favourite thing to ruminate on when insomnia strikes.

Sad to just discover that Team Torrent has had to drop out due to medical issues. An inspiring guy and performance for sure.

I finally got around to doing a 'leaderboard' from my primitive tracking spreadsheet. (Note it uses straight line, great circle distances in nautical miles). The long and short of it is that as long as Oaracle, Kairos, TRAK, and Ravenous can keep going at their recent rates they are on track of beating the Grim Sweeper (if my estimate that it would arrive in Ketchikan 24 days after the start is correct). Dock Rat would have to ramp things up well past anything he's demonstrated so far to avoid R2AK High Command having to uncloak the Grim Sweeper.

image.thumb.png.744a545d5a39ed5fb17cd1e2afd13680.png

cheers, Andrew
Edit: sorry just realized that I forgot to enter Ravenous' speed for the update, so it's showing as 0. They're actually doing 3.6 knots right now, so still on the move.

2 minutes ago, Banjo5 said:

Didn't get around to checking up here since mid last week. Lot's of interesting discussion, especially the part on various R2AK boat choices and preferences. It's my favourite thing to ruminate on when insomnia strikes.

Sad to just discover that Team Torrent has had to drop out due to medical issues. An inspiring guy and performance for sure.

I finally got around to doing a 'leaderboard' from my primitive tracking spreadsheet. (Note it uses straight line, great circle distances in nautical miles). The long and short of it is that as long as Oaracle, Kairos, TRAK, and Ravenous can keep going at their recent rates they are on track of beating the Grim Sweeper (if my estimate that it would arrive in Ketchikan 24 days after the start). Dock Rat would have to ramp things up well past anything he's demonstrated so far to avoid R2AK High Command having to uncloak the Grim Sweeper.

image.thumb.png.744a545d5a39ed5fb17cd1e2afd13680.png

cheers, Andrew

So - as I understand it, the mysterious Grim one would’ve started on July 1.  At 75 miles/day = less than 10 days to Ketchikan (approx. 700 miles?). So, in Ketchikan approximately July 9? 

13 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

So - as I understand it, the mysterious Grim one would’ve started on July 1.  At 75 miles/day = less than 10 days to Ketchikan (approx. 700 miles?). So, in Ketchikan approximately July 9? 

I based it on July 1st at noon, and took the whole 750 miles (I'm guessing non-nautical) and 75 miles as 10 days total. I think they said the GS was departing Port Townsend. So that gives noon (PDT) in Ketchikan July 11th. Given the ambiguity around the sweeper, it's hard to come up with any hard and fast idea of where it really is though! Perhaps if you allowed for one day to get to Victoria, and then took 9 days to get to Ketchikan, and just scaled to my great-circle (crow flies) distance of 515 nm from Victoria to Ketchikan, then Dock Rat has until July 6th at 16:10 to get away from where he is now.

That 32 nm VMG to Ketchikan per day needed to beat the sweeper is actually low, as it's based on the last position update, which was yesterday.

On 7/1/2018 at 12:21 PM, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Well, for our R2AK tracker junky withdrawal, we have the SHTP tracker (about 900nm to go to Hawaii) https://www.jibeset.net/gpswatch.php?FA=JACKY_T00254104_1_1013718015,

complete with a developing tropical storm (named Fabio) to the SE of the rhumb line, which may make things interesting (see recent pic of wx overlay on tracker below).

And, for the longer term, the Golden Globe Race tracker - just started today - about 24,800nm (7-9 months?) to go!  http://goldengloberace.com/livetracker/ (download the YB tracker: see link).  For those with very long term habits :-)

But back to R2AK junkies.  This group conversation with past and present R2AK teams in Ketchikan sounds like it could be an interesting listen for those considering R2AK or those simply interested in the experience of various teams/boat types over the last four years the race has been run: https://r2ak.com/2018-daily-updates/2018-day-13-racer-round-up-part-1-waiting-for-fusion/ (“It’s a roundtable featuring 11 teams that span all four years of the race. They pull up a chair and search for answers to questions often unanswerable, or at least arguable. It’s a geek session, but it’s from the horse’s mouth.”

FBE5FFE2-82FB-4C3D-BEC7-34B1993EBC55.jpeg

Thx will follow the SHTP race and thread. Some large swell coming I presume.

22 hours ago, Foiling Optimist said:

Was reading the thread and laughing about no digital cameras...

On 7/1/2018 at 1:30 PM, SeaGul said:

...and we have a race in Sweden - Gotland Rundt - 10 small multis - offshore - start in Stockholm -out the islands - then into open sea and around Gotland an back.

http://race.ksss.se/sv/AFOR/Leaderboard/#/SRS MH

3 Seacart 30s - 2 seem to have withdrawn - one F32SR - withdrawn - 2 DF32s one doing good. Kiss T30 going good and Corsair 31OD + F33. They are up against Cookson 50 - IMOCA 60 and SWAN 50 and other big hot monos. Swedens primary race. 

Bonita - the remaining SC30 is close to take the lead in the race - and it started 10min after the hottest monos.

This will keep me going too thx

6 hours ago, ProaSailor said:

https://www.facebook.com/racetoalaska/posts/1539681292826203
07/02/2018 11:41am, DTG: 458.1 mi

port_hardy.png.8db2e0751c541823b646ba3efe88413f.png

The "team" closest to Ketchikan now is OaracleDTG: 173.97 mi

zzz...

His track looks like a tide line...

The Sweden race is interesting in regards to R2AK as it has some of the fast tris best suited for winning the R2AK; Seacart 30 and F32SC - F33 and hot Corsair 31s. 

Two SC30 is finished - only Cookson 50 beat them. The F32SC har early trouble - but I would go for SC30 in R2AK- is pointed out before. I think the lightness and Marstrom buildt quality is the best you can get for reasonable money. One F-33 flipped - downwind in big seas - they said a big wave flipped them - all was rescued.

With Team Torrent in the hospital under IV,  the rest of the fleet looks strong, with Oaracle on the move earl this morning and likely to make the Skeena today. They stayed at a cool spot last night with a view far to the north and the infamous shoals and kelp in front of them, where ships have foundered.

The Dock Rat is rested and back on the move for his crossing of Queen Charlotte Sound today. Will he go all night past Cape Caution and make Safety Cove? Will he be trapped in the rock infested shoal field guarding the sound? No wonder boat insurance ends at Malcom Island for my big boat...

Kairos looks strong with a good day yesterday. He stayed in Lowe Inlet, a popular cove with a small waterfall. A nasty rock guards the entry to the north.

Ravenous is outside inside, not sure if they rounded the shoals outside to get there or did the Secret Shortcut. The tracker has not updated to show them moving so not sure if they had bad weather last night.

Trak not eaten by bears as far as I know....https://www.trakkayaks.com/

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/grizzly-bear-mauls-kayaker-camping-near-b-c-river-1.3996320

Hospital? Are you sure about that?

IV's can be had outside of a hospital.

EDIT: Right you are Norse.

From his FB page:

"We brought him to The hospital at Bella Bella BC"

Is anyone else concerned that Kairos seems to be slowing down? At today's forward progress he won't beat the Sweeper to Ketchikan. I hope something isn't wrong.

The good news for the Dock Rat is that based on his past 12 hours, he now could make it to Ketchikan in time, as long as he doesn't stop to sleep for the next week. At least his forecast finishing time, based on the past 24 hours progress, puts him in the right season now. It will all depend on how consistent he can be, and how slow things are going up to Bella Bella. Past history says even with diligence, he and the Sweeper might share a beer on that most excellent looking patio in Shearwater.

Ravenous is back making good progress again. With sustained progress they might even catch some of the paddlers by round about Prince Rupert.

And the remaining leaders are all stopped now. Matt is certainly making TRAC's and based on today's progress (at least) would arrive in Ketchikan pretty much in a dead heat with the Oaracles! But a lot can, and undoubtedly will, change before Saturday.

Crushing news about Torrent. But listening to the phone interview today it sounds like his body has been on a slow death march for a while. I am unable to imagine the toughness he has to have made it this far. Impressive and inspirational.

image.thumb.png.ffaa0e9a065640c808795035b7262f51.png

I also tried to figure out the %Comp. and distance remaining (DTG) in the leaderboard. The percentage lines up directly with my straight line numbers (ie. based on te 515nm great circle from Victoria to Ketchikan), but the DTG seems to be the % left x 750 miles. So given the path of boats once clear of Bella Bella is pretty close to the rhumb line I'd say that those numbers are pretty overstated. My To Go is in nm, so multiply by 1.15 to get statute miles.

And finally, that Trinado is one slick looking boat. I remember stumbling over the website a few years ago.

cheers, Andrew

For info’s sake, here’s a list of last year’s finishing times - Oaracle took 23 days, the longest of all - but it appears they were in a different boat from this year. (That time would be just after this coming weekend, on July 9, in this year’s R2AK.)  

The nearest earlier finishers, some small monohull sailboats, a kayak, canoe, and small cat, tended to bunch around 21-18 days.  Surprising to me, the Santana 20 and Montgomery 17 both finished within an hour of each other, in just under 18 days. (That would be my “time to match”, if on our old Cal 20, which I think that would be tough this year, with light winds.  But, surely we’d be faster than a tubby Montgomery 17?!)  Kairos, on an Angus Rowcruiser (different from this year, I think), was DNF (was swept? I dunno). 

https://r2ak.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/2017-R2AK-Vic-to-KTN-7.04.17.pdf

8 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

For info’s sake, here’s a list of last year’s finishing times - Oaracle took 23 days, the longest of all - but it appears they were in a different boat from this year. (That time would be just after this coming weekend, on July 9, in this year’s R2AK.)  

The nearest earlier finishers, some small monohull sailboats, a kayak, canoe, and small cat, tended to bunch around 21-18 days.  Surprising to me, the Santana 20 and Montgomery 17 both finished within an hour of each other, in just under 18 days. (That would be my “time to match”, if on our old Cal 20, which I think that would be tough this year, with light winds.  But, surely we’d be faster than a tubby Montgomery 17?!)  Kairos, on an Angus Rowcruiser (different from this year, I think), was DNF (was swept? I dunno). 

Kairos withdrew due to boat problems last year. That wind on the first day exposed a build flaw and he decided not to proceed. Fixed it and is back this year. 

8 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Kairos retired with boat problems (mast step). The Oaracles were on the bubble last year, and spent at least a day wind bound in the Salish Sea (IIRC), and another at Shearwater (I think, not 100% sure on this one).  There  were longer times in the first race.

I think after a certain point it comes down to willingness to use human power.  I saw/heard something the other day (forget where) that the winners did a lot of pedaling (by their own reckoning at least). Thinking over all the winners and successful boats, all have had a big commitment to using human power. Elsie Piddock's setup for the win was rowing all that first night. Mad Dogs could put two people on, and had amazing light air capabilities. Last year all the top boats did a lot of pedaling/rowing. You need about 22nm VMG per day to beat the sweeper. So 10-12 hours at 2 knots every day.

34 minutes ago, Banjo5 said:

Kairos retired with boat problems (mast step). The Oaracles were on the bubble last year, and spent at least a day wind bound in the Salish Sea (IIRC), and another at Shearwater (I think, not 100% sure on this one).  There  were longer times in the first race.

I think after a certain point it comes down to willingness to use human power.  I saw/heard something the other day (forget where) that the winners did a lot of pedaling (by their own reckoning at least). Thinking over all the winners and successful boats, all have had a big commitment to using human power. Elsie Piddock's setup for the win was rowing all that first night. Mad Dogs could put two people on, and had amazing light air capabilities. Last year all the top boats did a lot of pedaling/rowing. You need about 22nm VMG per day to beat the sweeper. So 10-12 hours at 2 knots every day.

After Liteboat came in the other day, they said (in a NWMC post) they had rowed 30 miles in previous 24 hrs, or something very similar.  Of course, that boat is designed to row well, but that really made me think, “ummm...ugh...30 miles?!”

On 6/25/2018 at 11:29 AM, BunnyWhaler said:

- Re: Classes for human power vs. sail power

This is antithetical to R2AK and the race organizers will never change it. Thank goodness. The whole point is to NOT have ratings, NOT have classes, and "run what ya brung." You could see "one winner, plus steak knives" as being exclusionary, but for us (and I think a lot of the small and human-powered boats) it removes the Ricky Bobby precept and encourages the do-your-best, appreciate others' approaches and philosophies, finishing-is-winning community that so many R2AKers love. 

Without separate classes for singlehanded and human vs. sail power, it is meaningless to call this event a race.

P.S.  I apologize for using quotes around the word "team" yesterday in referring to Oaracle; I wasn't paying attention and thought it was a singlehanded boat.

Oaracle looks to be making for Dundas Island today, they had an early start.

Trax just passing Kairos in the Grenville and Ravenous tracker has not updated.

The Verminator is off Cape Caution with a dated tracker location, so he could be making for Penrose Island for a rest after that nocturnal activity last night in the groundswell. Thursday morning the wind switches to SE and it looks strong enough to push him into Shearwater. https://weather.gc.ca/marine/forecast_e.html?mapID=02&siteID=12300

Herbert is not reporting but it looks like light winds for Ravenous and Dock Rat.

https://weather.gc.ca/marine/forecast_e.html?mapID=02&siteID=12300

7 minutes ago, ProaSailor said:

Without separate classes for singlehanded and human vs. sail power, it is meaningless to call this event a race.  

In a way, yes, when they don't have the Everglades Challenge type classes. The reasoning for the "race" idea is that it impels teams to finish within a reasonable time and still has a worthy Line Honours.

Wh do some schools not give grades?

The race doesn't need separate categories!

It's an awesome race JUST the way it is.

If you don't like it fuck-off.

Classes are arbitrary at best. They exist informally (e.g. solo, multihull, mono, human powered, size) which seems to be working just fine. As long as the race attracts a critical mass of competitors I'd say all is well. If it's not your thing, then don't get involved.

Sure it's not the norm but that's part of the charm. I'd say it's causing a great self-selection of some really interesting and diverse people.

I was going to comment on a slow slide to finisher/participation medals and the like. But it seems like you get something like that with the stuff that's 'included' in your approved acceptance to race. In this race, as in all the good ones, it's the camaraderie between all competitors that make it great. Winning an age group medal is no big incentive for me when I enter a running race. I like to look to see how I did vs. my peers but in the end I'm competing against myself. Same is true for the R2AK.

I just hope someday I'll be able to figure out a way to be part of it, either as a competitor, volunteer, or spectator.

cheers, Andrew

4 minutes ago, Banjo5 said:

Classes are arbitrary at best. They exist informally (e.g. solo, multihull, mono, human powered, size) which seems to be working just fine. As long as the race attracts a critical mass of competitors I'd say all is well. If it's not your thing, then don't get involved.

Sure it's not the norm but that's part of the charm. I'd say it's causing a great self-selection of some really interesting and diverse people.

I was going to comment on a slow slide to finisher/participation medals and the like. But it seems like you get something like that with the stuff that's 'included' in your approved acceptance to race. In this race, as in all the good ones, it's the camaraderie between all competitors that make it great. Winning an age group medal is no big incentive for me when I enter a running race. I like to look to see how I did vs. my peers but in the end I'm competing against myself. Same is true for the R2AK.

I just hope someday I'll be able to figure out a way to be part of it, either as a competitor, volunteer, or spectator.

cheers, Andrew

Racing the r2ak has different meanings to different people,  racing to win is epic

melvin.jpg

The extra wide Reynolds 33 with a phrf of -68,  would still begetPart-4.thumb.jpg.a0f3eb3d2f1e7d5382a0d6a1f4d2583a.jpg tough to beat, $31k without trailer, $38k with.

1 hour ago, Banjo5 said:

cheers, Andrew

I’ve run a half-marathon - just because I wanted the challenge, certainly not to race (especially being over 45...), and have zero interest in my race standing for my age group.

R2AK does have classes in a sense - those very few who actually have fast boats and motivation and prepared well and think they have a chance at the cash or steak knives - and the huge mass of everyone else.  Good enough!  

7 hours ago, multihuler said:

Racing a 34x26 downloadfile-1.thumb.jpg.38cbb02cbf06e7e50683a0ebd6637055.jpgGougeon is hard on the face, grins.. see classifieds

,images.jpg.ca11280487f319a2c96051a78782ec1d.jpg

Kind of looks like this-

E1CBC9F7-A4E3-465C-B057-D82479F5B649.jpeg

38 minutes ago, Amati said:

Kind of looks like this-

Nice contrast between the purpose-built Go-fast tri and tired old yellowing mono with stains on the hull...

On 7/3/2018 at 12:25 AM, SeaGul said:

The Sweden race is interesting in regards to R2AK as it has some of the fast tris best suited for winning the R2AK; Seacart 30 and F32SC - F33 and hot Corsair 31s. 

Two SC30 is finished - only Cookson 50 beat them. The F32SC har early trouble - but I would go for SC30 in R2AK- is pointed out before. I think the lightness and Marstrom buildt quality is the best you can get for reasonable money. One F-33 flipped - downwind in big seas - they said a big wave flipped them - all was rescued.

Dang, I think I'd go for the Cookson 50.   Comfort and a whole lot of speed.  Just add $$$$$$, stir in some water and some wind and you are in Ketchican before you know it.

1 hour ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Nice contrast between the purpose-built Go-fast tri and tired old yellowing mono with stains on the hull...

Bellingham, away from the marina....

9 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

In a way, yes, when they don't have the Everglades Challenge type classes. The reasoning for the "race" idea is that it impels teams to finish within a reasonable time and still has a worthy Line Honours.

Wh do some schools not give grades?

Ennui?

2 hours ago, Amati said:

Kind of looks like this-

Maybe everyone knows already, but which tri is this?

And @multihuler, do classified expire? I went looking but didn't see any of yours there. How much does the Reynolds weigh? I saw another ad that said 3500 pounds, so quite a bit more than a G32.

cheers, Andrew

PS. And on this years front, I guess we just have to wait until Dock Rat and Ravenous uncloak! Matt is continuing to really make TRAK's, he's caught up to Kairos who also had a pretty good day. Too bad they are too far behind to take the Oaracles up on the dinner invite on their Pacific ocean island.

1 hour ago, Banjo5 said:

And @multihuler, do classified expire? I went looking but didn't see any of yours there. How much does the Reynolds weigh? I saw another ad that said 3500 pounds, so quite a bit more than a G32.

cheers, Andrew

PS. And on this years front, I guess we just have to wait until Dock Rat and Ravenous uncloak! Matt is continuing to really make TRAK's, he's caught up to Kairos who also had a pretty good day. Too bad they are too far behind to take the Oaracles up on the dinner invite on their Pacific ocean island.

I don’t know!  We bring the boat over for the annual bloodletting, er, haul out, and when we walk up to town, this tri is there!  Every year!  

4 hours ago, Banjo5 said:

It looks like "Osprey": 

13 hours ago, Amati said:

Ennui?

Yes

" Young people at that time, feeling that the promises of the French Revolution had gone unfulfilled, took on an attitude of lethargic disappointment, a preoccupation with the fundamental emptiness of existence. "

http://mentalfloss.com/article/58230/how-tell-whether-youve-got-angst-ennui-or-weltschmerz

Oaracle seems to have spent the night in the boat, unless that is a tiny islet..no thats crap on my screen...

Kairos camping on a great spot. Trak moving well this morning as he approaches Rupert.

Ravenous spent the night in a small bay on the outside of Banks Island.

Dock Rat well up Fitz now his tracker is working again...will he nest for the day or is he ratnapping?

17 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

Yes

" Young people at that time, feeling that the promises of the French Revolution had gone unfulfilled, took on an attitude of lethargic disappointment, a preoccupation with the fundamental emptiness of existence. "

http://mentalfloss.com/article/58230/how-tell-whether-youve-got-angst-ennui-or-weltschmerz

At least at The Evergreen State College....

;).

Yes

A noble cause later taken up the beret-wearing, cafe-frequenting, red wine and coffee-drinking and Galloise cigarette-smoking French Existentialists... :-). (Camus, Sartre, de Beauvoir).

These days, some people do the same thing, but on slow engineless sail and rowboats, heading toward Alaska...

36C33464-85A6-49CB-BFDE-287557B91838.jpeg

19EFE13D-8636-4085-AD7A-57728E7764E3.jpeg

Oaracle seems to have spent the night in the boat, unless that is a tiny islet..no thats crap on my screen...

Kairos camping on a great spot. Trak moving well this morning as he approaches Rupert.

Ravenous spent the night in a small bay on the outside of Banks Island.

Dock Rat well up Fitz now his tracker is working again...will he nest for the day or is he ratnapping?

It took a qualifying post on fb from Janice to explain the apparent anomaly of the Oaracle situation. The navionics chart viewer reveals all, and perhaps points out a hazard with using Google Maps for navigation? http://webapp.navionics.com/#boating@12&key=wkziIrd|{W

Screen Shot 2018-07-05 at 12.46.16 PM.png

Oaracle N Rachael Island 2018.jpg

4 hours ago, Banjo5 said:

It took a qualifying post on fb from Janice to explain the apparent anomaly of the Oaracle situation. The navionics chart viewer reveals all, and perhaps points out a hazard with using Google Maps for navigation? http://webapp.navionics.com/#boating@12&key=wkziIrd|{W

Screen Shot 2018-07-05 at 12.46.16 PM.png

Oaracle N Rachael Island 2018.jpg

Thanks for that.

Now can somebody tell me why the Hobie Cat is half way to the Charlottes?

15 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

Thanks for that.

Now can somebody tell me why the Hobie Cat is half way to the Charlottes?

Check out the forecast for Hecate.  Easy sail across what is typically gnarly with short, steep waves.  But why...dunno!  (Tracker floating away?)

https://weather.gc.ca/marine/forecast_e.html?mapID=01&siteID=06205

17 hours ago, Airwick said:

It looks like "Osprey": 

I found this post that describes Osprey a little. I don't know whether it was this tri, or another one that I read about a year or two ago, where they lengthened a pair of beach cat hulls for the floats. There was a comment that it was well worth it (IIRC). I have a set of Hobie 18 hulls that I got for free that I was/am considering repurposing, so that's why I was reading up.

" My main hull is one of Mike's L-7 amas widened by 8.5", so it has a fairly flat stern section. My amas are Nacra 6.0 hulls, except lengthened to 23' with minimal rocker"

Perhaps a dryer ride than a beach cat, but I think the races so far have said that a bit more protection really goes a long way. Still a very cool boat.

cheers, Andrew

So have Ravenous  gone 'full  Moitessier' with their move to Haida Gwaii? Or is it a set up for a hole shot to Ketchikan? They are actually further from the finish now than at the start of the day though. EDIT: as soon as I posted this they seem to be on the move again, perhaps headed North. I'll know when I wake up in the morning.

Today's Daily Update on the Sweeper put my earlier estimation of timing into question. They say July 10th now (I had guessed 11th at noon), but no mention of the time. Right now it looks like Ravenous is in question, and Dock Rat needs something very special to happen. Here's what my numbers show (and interesting to me, at least, is that TRAK and Oaracle are roughly the same distance from Ketchikan, but 12nm apart. Kairos is hopefully enjoying the spoils of civilization in Prince Rupert). Finish time is estimated from the VMG for the past 24 hours.

image.thumb.png.f3ec8a1797df84cf3a46f44f5c93711f.png

I didn't seem to be able to edit my post above to add this SA topic on the building of Osprey that I subsequently found. http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/121040-adventure-tri-23-update-video-photos/. I think this might be the one I was remembering, certainly has details of stretching the Nacra hulls for the floats.

Also interesting to hear about how much FF_SLAG used their pedal drives during the race. It's not quite clear to me whether the 4 knots was boat or wind speed. Given there was lots of tracker readings of speeds in the 2.something range (IIRC), I guessing it might be wind. This seems to be a similar strategy as used by Jungle Kitty last year, and in the Part 2 Round Table recording it sounds like they talked with them about the race.

I stumbled over this video of the first sail of the tri that Mark built after Osprey, which sure seems to demonstrate a preferred option to pedaling in light winds.

On 7/5/2018 at 2:35 AM, Left Shift said:

Dang, I think I'd go for the Cookson 50.   Comfort and a whole lot of speed.  Just add $$$$$$, stir in some water and some wind and you are in Ketchican before you know it.

Dang - its one for sale -https://www.boatshop24.com/en/cookson-50/Sailboat/925217

for the same price you can get a brand new 40ft racing tri with a little space.  This was offshore conditions - in R2AK the Cookson would be a bit to organize  and not so fast. A Seacart 30 to 1/3 of the price would be the smart choice.

8 hours ago, Banjo5 said:

So have Ravenous  gone 'full  Moitessier' with their move to Haida Gwaii? Or is it a set up for a hole shot to Ketchikan? They are actually further from the finish now than at the start of the day though. EDIT: as soon as I posted this they seem to be on the move again, perhaps headed North. I'll know when I wake up in the morning.

Today's Daily Update on the Sweeper put my earlier estimation of timing into question. They say July 10th now

My theory is that Ravenous, who was nervously on the edge of being tapped out by the Grim Sweeper on it’s relentless and hungry trek northward, said to heck with the race, and hightailed it Haida Gwaii - tracker currently shows them at Cumshewa, just south of Sandspit.  (!) I’m sure the story will out soon...

Meanwhile, an in-depth and quite fun “analysis” of the mysterious Grim Sweeper...

https://r2ak.com/2018-daily-updates/2018-day-17-the-sweeper-the-boat-the-myth-the-legend-reprinted-and-updat

Day 17 Clip of the Day: The good, the bad, and the ones that impressed even an old pedal-power pro, Russell Brown of PT Watercraft. Russell and R2AK's Tim Penhallow look back at the human power element of many of this year's vessels.

http://wavewalkerboats.com/

http://wavewalkerboats.com/order/parts/drive-frame-with-seat-and-drive-detail  ($2,100)

complete-frame-assy-w-seat-and-drive.jpg.6691627a353e777bf7605487f78853b2.jpg

http://wavewalkerboats.com/order/parts/hydroglide-drive-assembly-detail   ($835)

complete-drive-assy.jpg.37911fdfa927187d3f10f865c6516713.jpg

dock_rat.thumb.png.06d1978460bbc917ade94ca4123839d5.png

Verminator must be trapped by the sticky winds of the fickle Fitz . This is going to be messy when the Grim Exterminator has to do it's job...

His last shot at glory is to make Shearwater before his untimely death. Should he escape the trap and head non stop outside to Ketchikan he might survive, but only if the Reaper has an unexpected mechanical failure.

Oarcle making great time, tracker showed 4.4 knots and they must be close to visual with Matt in the kayak, who took the shore route like Mikes Kayak did in 2015.

Kairos has left metropolitan Prince Rupert and is weaving his way through the channels to clear water and some southern wind. He could catch the other 2 teams late today with the right pressure.

Ravenous may have bailed in Haida Gwaii as Jud suggests and the wind readings may support that, but the tracker has not updated and they could be anywhere right now. Reminds me of a multi one year that the crew was afraid to tack or wake the captain and ended up close to the islands...

Go the Dock Rat! Survive!

Dockrat trapped by tide and calms again, he is forced to wait for outflows tonight and fair currents. Cruelly, Shearwater remains out of reach. I think he has the record for the team with the most miles in Fitzhugh Sound. There is a bit of commercial marine traffic there and he is supposed to be the stand off vessel so that must be interesting for him.

Ravenous is still off Haida Gwaii and looks to be making for landfall again after some hard miles with fickle wind.

Will Oaracle and Trax push to the finish in the calm conditions or camp one more night...

Will the breeze fill in for the Kairos Row Cruiser or will he spend the night on Dundas for the crossing of Dixon Entrance tomorrow.

Screenshot_2018-07-06 Race Tracker.png

23 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

Dockrat trapped by tide and calms again, he is forced to wait for outflows tonight and fair currents. Cruelly, Shearwater remains out of reach. I think he has the record for the team with the most miles in Fitzhugh Sound. There is a bit of commercial marine traffic there and he is supposed to be the stand off vessel so that must be interesting for him.

Ravenous is still off Haida Gwaii and looks to be making for landfall again after some hard miles with fickle wind.

Will Oaracle and Trax push to the finish in the calm conditions or camp one more night...

Will the breeze fill in for the Kairos Row Cruiser or will he spend the night on Dundas for the crossing of Dixon Entrance tomorrow.

Screenshot_2018-07-06 Race Tracker.png

I think you covered off all the questions there! The tale of woe of the poor Dock Rat makes the case for the importance of good human power systems, and the struggles of going solo! Based on today, it will be interesting to see if he gets towed into Shearwater by the Sweeper.

As for the others, I think everything could go both ways. Past experience could point to either stopping or pushing ahead to be done. Russell stopped around where they are didn't he, and got harassed by biting bugs. Only Kairos I would think could safely sleep out in the quiet open. Didn't Roger Mann tie up to a kelp bed on his first run.

Just out of curiosity, I'd like to know why Ravenous did what they did. It seems that yesterday's wind was perfect for a sail to the finish (S, around 10 knots IIRC).

2 hours ago, Banjo5 said:

Just out of curiosity, I'd like to know why Ravenous did what they did. It seems that yesterday's wind was perfect for a sail to the finish (S, around 10 knots IIRC).

It’s been pretty clear for a while now that Ravenous is not really racing - more like an extended camping trip. I’m sure they’ve seen a lot of beautiful spots but am mystified why they bothered with the race fees & all - they don’t seem to seek publicity, so maybe being in the race provides a bit of extra safety?

It’s also hard to make sense of their track -  sometimes they do weird tacks/gybes with very little mileage gained (akin to Dock Rat, but the boat is very different...), and they also do a lot of night sailing which is strange given if you’re willing to take that long to get to Ketchikan then you’d think you’d be relaxing every night and enjoying the daylight....

2 hours ago, galacticair said:

It’s been pretty clear for a while now that Ravenous is not really racing - more like an extended camping trip. I’m sure they’ve seen a lot of beautiful spots but am mystified why they bothered with the race fees & all - they don’t seem to seek publicity, so maybe being in the race provides a bit of extra safety?

It’s also hard to make sense of their track -  sometimes they do weird tacks/gybes with very little mileage gained (akin to Dock Rat, but the boat is very different...), and they also do a lot of night sailing which is strange given if you’re willing to take that long to get to Ketchikan then you’d think you’d be relaxing every night and enjoying the daylight....

No one ever said people who enter R2AK are normal and predictable :-)

3 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Is incompetence a bad word in the R2AK? 

5 hours ago, D Wayne G said:

Is incompetence a bad word in the R2AK? 

Oh, aren’t you all judgy this morning!  :-)

But seriously, who are you calling “incompetent”?  Mknotkrazee for not pushing their little beach cat harder and bailing early on? Cash winner FF_SLAG for their choice of excessive crew/gear/weight and drag-producing dual pedal drives?  Steak Knivers Wild Card for their offshore tactics and unorthodox trapeze work? Russell for sailing how he wanted and not going flat out 24/7?  Torrent for not pushing through his pain and SUPing on?  Surely not Ravenous for temporarily diverting to Haida Gwaii?  Dock Rat, who clearly was never “racing,” except maybe himself? Kairos in his sail-enabled row cruiser row cruiser for not crushing no-sail TRAK? (Seeing Matt on his TRAK has actually convinced me to to get one of his awesome folding kayaks.)

Do tell...

11 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

The race certainly self-selects a particularly interesting group of entrants. A peer group I'd love to be part of.