Russell Brown

R2AK 2018

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Banjo5 said:

So now the Sweeper is slated to arrive at noon today! All of a sudden the race seems to have got a bit shorter. Unless I'm missing something.

The great circle from Victoria to Ketchikan is 593 statute miles. It would seem that the Sweeper now starts in Victoria, goes by the great circle, and seems to start at first light on the first, so gets a full 75 miles in on the first and last days (and is done by noon).

So can Ravenous beat the new speedy boat?

Their tracker hasn't updated from their overnight parking spot, but with 25.3 miles to go in six hours, chances are high that they will set a record for the boat closest to the finish who gets caught by the Sweeper.  4.2 knot average required to beat it, if they start moving now (0600 PDT).

ravenous.thumb.png.748b5a344cb903c7a6962d913d2bbd06.png

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2018 at 10:13 PM, Amati said:

Yes she did...

Please do not call my integrity into question and use my name if you do not know me personally. Also, last I checked i have brown hair, not blonde. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ProaSailor said:

...with 25.3 miles to go in six hours, chances are high that they will set a record for the boat closest to the finish who gets caught by the Sweeper.  

ravenous.thumb.png.748b5a344cb903c7a6962d913d2bbd06.png

Surely the much-feared Grim Sweeper won’t be THAT grim... :-). If I were them, I’d stop and drop the hook for a day, drop a crab trap, haul up some crabs later on a crack a few beers with dinner, then cruise into Ketchikan tomorrow, welcoming Ravenkus and congratulating on *narrowly* being swept...

:-) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Sail to the moon said:

Please do not call my integrity into question and use my name if you do not know me personally. Also, last I checked i have brown hair, not blonde. 

Then that person was not you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://tracker.r2ak.com/

At 1.9 knots they must be pedaling all the way from Haida Gwaii...75 min til the Reaper comes...looks like they will need a little more time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

go ya lil beachy!
hold off the Grim!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

this thread needs music for the dramatic finish, as well as fine art...

Go the Ravenous Ones!

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P73Z6291Pt8

As a sailing dad, I love Team Ravenous’s bio/Team description on R2AK site.  An excerpt: 

Team Ravenous has a certain Chinese gymnastic factory feel, if only for the simple fact that they included the following line in their application:

“I cannot remember knowing a time not knowing how to sail or fixing boats with my dad.” 

We chose to take this as indication that she was the product of a Chinese-style sailing immersion puppy mill rather than present day amnesia or early onset anything. She claims twenty years of sailing experience (and damned few birthdays on top of that) racing, living aboard, cruising, and gearing up for the R2AK by getting some stick time on the beach cat they plan to flog angry and glorious to Alaska. 

Team Ravenous combines her en utero sail training with his adult onset sailing syndrome. While she short tacked out the womb...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

As a sailing dad, I love Team Ravenous’s bio/Team description on R2AK site.  An excerpt: 

Team Ravenous has a certain Chinese gymnastic factory feel, if only for the simple fact that they included the following line in their application:

“I cannot remember knowing a time not knowing how to sail or fixing boats with my dad.” 

We chose to take this as indication that she was the product of a Chinese-style sailing immersion puppy mill rather than present day amnesia or early onset anything. She claims twenty years of sailing experience (and damned few birthdays on top of that) racing, living aboard, cruising, and gearing up for the R2AK by getting some stick time on the beach cat they plan to flog angry and glorious to Alaska. 

Team Ravenous combines her en utero sail training with his adult onset sailing syndrome. While she short tacked out the womb...

:o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So 15, 26, 27, 21 finishers for 2015/2016/2017/2018. This year 8 DNF. 5 DNS. 21 Finishers.

And just looking at things, Ravenous are the fastest final finisher. The race keeps trying to tighten up the end time, although I think it was a math error on the part of a social media person on the initial post about Ravenous being close. It does perhaps that they're shifting the Grim Sweeper arrival time to noon, which would have tapped out Janice and Ian last year.

2018 (21st) 22d 4h 15m, Team Ravenous - Hobie Miracle 20 (2 Crew)

2017 (27th) 23d 5h 25m, Oaracle - 22’ Mono - Merry Sea II Double Rowboat (2 Crew)

2016 (26th) 25d 11h 57m, Team Can’t Anchor Us - 17’ Mono - Modified Swampscott Dory (1 Crew)

2015 (15th) 26d 2h 33m, Team Barefoot Wooden Boats - 19’ Mono - Custom Dinghy (3 Crew)

Well it's been a fun ride. Now time to start thinking, dreaming, perhaps even doing, for next year.

Jocheim's comments about tides and currents is very telling. What's a good source of that information that could be used during the race?


cheers, Andrew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

..look like good idea ... but he must keep his fingers away from those sharp teeths...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe under dry, clean conditions for a limited period of time (e.g. a single race). Other contexts, I'm skeptical. Lots of extra bearings and seals involved and, as pointed out above, just tons of radial load. As soon as those tolerances loosen up it'll be a shitshow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, IStream said:

Maybe under dry, clean conditions for a limited period of time (e.g. a single race). Other contexts, I'm skeptical. Lots of extra bearings and seals involved and, as pointed out above, just tons of radial load. As soon as those tolerances loosen up it'll be a shitshow.

It's a prototype.  https://www.ceramicspeed.com/media/2979/driven_brochure.pdf

Quote

The patent includes the possibility for a powermeter inclusion inside the shaft and a compact shroud can encapsulate the entire drivetrain to protect from mud, rain, and contamination.

 

  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Russell Brown said:

I did a short blog post with photos of 2018 R2AK pedal drive systems. http://gougeon32.blogspot.com

The range of different approaches is remarkable.

Interesting, thank you.

As for your knees, 65 is a relatively low cadence, in the long distance cycling community 80 seems to be considered as a good compromise. Low cadences are hard on the knees and high cadences hard to sustain for a long time. Racing cyclists have higher cadences (100+).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Russell Brown said:

My knees got totally hammered from pedaling. Why? Was it the uneven cranking revolutions inherent in most of these systems (cranks and propeller slowing between pedal strokes)?

One thing that helps me is shorter cranks.  I read that the Australian recumbent manufacturer Greenspeed measured power output with cranks as short as 100mm (they wanted a more streamlined fairing, and the cranks got in the way), and found no difference.  So I tried it.  Felt a bit weird for a minute, then better.  Standard crank length is 170mm.  I no longer accept anything longer than 150mm, and have one bike with 140mm.  You do need lower gearing and a higher cadence, then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now