Russell Brown

R2AK 2018

11 hours ago, Russell Brown said:

Does anyone happen to have a Harken 3049 screecher furler kicking around that could be rented, borrowed, or bought? 

I have had one on order for quite a while, but apparently Harken farms out some of the manufacturing and someone is way late on something. The word was 3 weeks 3 weeks ago and now it's 3 weeks again and the race starts in 2 weeks.

I have an ancient one that I could swap between my large and small screechers, but I was hoping to not have to swap (and risk losing parts) every time I do a change between large and small sails.

G32-coop-1217-1 (2).jpg

I have a Schaefer 650 I don't plan to use until next season if you would like to borrow it.

1 hour ago, dsackman said:

All I have is a Harken 1134 Continuous Line Furler. Will be too small.

https://www.harken.com/productdetail.aspx?id=47139&taxid=535

I think that's a bit light, about half the working load of the 3049. I really don't know what the loads are. The head stay (jib) has the same size furler (as the 3049) holding the mast up, but I don't know what kind of loads the screecher imparts. It does get used as a downwind sail in lots of wind.

Thanks for the offer...

10 minutes ago, efrank said:

I have a Schaefer 650 I don't plan to use until next season if you would like to borrow it.

I'll look into that furler. Thanks.

I have been doing some research and the old school Harken screecher furler has a lot going for it. I can't believe how much the newer types cost and I'm not really sure that I want one anyway. It's hard to imagine a furler that works better than the old one that came with my boat. Fisheries supply thought they could get one and the price was right, but no go, so I'm sourcing fast release push pins to swap the old one from sail to sail.

DSC_2550.jpg

It looks like the Reynolds 33 isn't coming and I'm pretty sure the proa isn't either. 

I'm pretty close to ready myself I think, besides only having one ancient screecher furler and a few other iffy parts. I'm surprised that there doesn't seem to be any similarly priced furlers in this load range (2000 lbs working).

Anyone else using Eelsnot on their bottoms?

Ronstan make a jib furler that looks a lot like that Harken one.

RF1246

Well thanks for that Olaf, I'm not sure why I never looked at Ronstan. I think that Duckworks (which is local) carries them so I can go have a look. 

On 6/2/2018 at 7:59 PM, Russell Brown said:

I'm pretty close to ready myself I think, besides only having one ancient screecher furler and a few other iffy parts.

Hi Russell,

The entry list is unclear...are you sailing singlehanded from Victoria, or with Alex?  CU in PT.

~skip

Hi Skip, I'm going solo from Victoria. Glad you are coming. I'll take you for a pedal.

Things in town are going to heat up pretty soon. It will be interesting...

22 hours ago, Russell Brown said:

Things in town are going to heat up pretty soon. It will be interesting...

Looks like I’ve got a good weather window, combined with free time, to cross J de F on Saturday - looking forward to being in PT.  (Wasn’t sure earlier if I’d make it down...but I haven’t yet! :-) Fingers crossed on the forecast.)

9 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Looks like I’ve got a good weather window, combined with free time, to cross J de F on Saturday - looking forward to being in PT.  (Wasn’t sure earlier if I’d make it down...but I haven’t yet! :-) Fingers crossed on the forecast.)

Predictwind is calling for 20-25 knots on Saturday afternoon, not that that is a major problem for a Cal 20.

32 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Predictwind is calling for 20-25 knots on Saturday afternoon, not that that is a major problem for a Cal 20.

?!?

I was looking at this - WTF?!

https://marine.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-122.95808&lat=48.21470#.WxiIKxYTHYX

East Entrance to Juan de Fuca Strait -

20NM ENE Port Angeles WA

Marine Point Forecast

Says WSW 10, seas <1 ft.  

I’m crossing from Friday Harbour - wrong forecast to use?   (Never been down there; thanks for any advice.)

(Edit: Just realized you wrote “afternoon” - which seems to jive with the Sat evening forecast of building wind.  Was planning to leave early, like 4:30/5 on Saturday morning.)

BDB2454B-9C95-4754-B73F-D578180FB866.png

Come on guys, enough about pedal drives and oar sizes!  Who’s gonna win, who’s fired up, who’s nervous...  let’s get some buzz going about this awesome race!!!   I will be crossing the straits from Port Townsend to Victoria with you all on our Westsail 32 named Hula and can’t wait for the start!!!   Good luck to all of you!!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

?!?

I was looking at this - WTF?!

https://marine.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-122.95808&lat=48.21470#.WxiIKxYTHYX

East Entrance to Juan de Fuca Strait -

20NM ENE Port Angeles WA

Marine Point Forecast

Says WSW 10, seas <1 ft.  

I’m crossing from Friday Harbour - wrong forecast to use?   (Never been down there; thanks for any advice.)

(Edit: Just realized you wrote “afternoon” - which seems to jive with the Sat evening forecast of building wind.  Was planning to leave early, like 4:30/5 on Saturday morning.)

BDB2454B-9C95-4754-B73F-D578180FB866.png

According to windy.com, less than ten knots ("7 kts") until 1:00 pm, then up to 18 kts (gusting to 23 kts) by 3:00 pm.

https://www.windy.com/?48.324,-122.982,11,m:eZKacKg

8 hours ago, ProaSailor said:

According to windy.com, less than ten knots ("7 kts") until 1:00 pm, then up to 18 kts (gusting to 23 kts) by 3:00 pm.

That’s what I’m planning on :-)

I’ve been in 30 twice in that boat, and I didn’t much like it.  Crack o’dawn start Saturday morning!

9 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

I’ve been in 30 twice in that boat, and I didn’t much like it.  Crack o’dawn start Saturday morning!

With a couple of hundred crossing of the straits early is (almost) always better than afternoon. 

You should always check on Smith Island and in Canada, Trial Island and Race Rocks.  Environment Canada pretty much adds 5 knots to their wind predictions, until they get above 30k and then they are truth tellers.

5 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

With a couple of hundred crossing of the straits early is (almost) always better than afternoon. 

You should always check on Smith Island and in Canada, Trial Island and Race Rocks.  Environment Canada pretty much adds 5 knots to their wind predictions, until they get above 30k and then they are truth tellers.

Roger that - thanks for the info re: Straits.

(And, yeah, the Environment Canada forecasts...thing is, once, in Johnstone Strait, we ignored the gale warning, since the forecast always were slightly exaggerated.  But not that time.)

9 hours ago, Tuesday said:

Come on guys, enough about pedal drives and oar sizes!  Who’s gonna win, who’s fired up, who’s nervous...  let’s get some buzz going about this awesome race!!!   I will be crossing the straits from Port Townsend to Victoria with you all on our Westsail 32 named Hula and can’t wait for the start!!!   Good luck to all of you!!!

We’ll look for you out there on your WestSail 32!

—>The Team(s) to Beat (for us):
(1) Team Fiddle Faddle (Santana 20) https://r2ak.com/2018-teams-stage-one/team-fiddle-faddle  Roughly matched to us boat-wise (20’ length, like our Cal 20, but using an “articulating sculling oar” for human propulsion - imagine a race down Victoria Harbour to the finish line against us rowing and them sculling that contraption, whatever the heck that is!

(2) Team Reliance (Balboa 20)...Probably faster than us.

(3) Team Buckeye (Hurley 17)...Probably faster than us: seasoned racers...

—->The Team to Meet - Team B4B2, sailing a (gasp) Bayliner 18, destination Ketchikan.  Heroic! Epic!  But of course B4B2 is actually Berrimilla in disguise  (www.berrimilla.com), which is truly epic and heroic.  Those guys have been through the NWP, around the Horn, Syd-Hob, Fastnet...the team to meet because they undoubtedly have great stories to tell!

—>Finally, the Team to Greet (greet at the dock in Ketchikan, as they collect their $10,000 cash or Steak Knives ).  Team Sail Like A Girl because a fully crewed (experienced racers) Melges 32...Team Blue Flash (fully crewed J88), or any of the fully crewed tris...fully crewed boats, that is, that choose to sail night and day.

Exciting!  Nervous...nah... :-)

18 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Roger that - thanks for the info re: Straits.

(And, yeah, the Environment Canada forecasts...thing is, once, in Johnstone Strait, we ignored the gale warning, since the forecast always were slightly exaggerated.  But not that time.)

Environment Canada seems to forecast the highest velocities that might be experienced in the forecast area, not the likely velocity you are going to see moseying along.  Then they predict gales and the gales come along and fill the channels with froth and the highest velocity becomes the local velocity and you wish you'd believed them.  

11 hours ago, Tuesday said:

OK, here is my take on thing.

The previous races have all been won by a multihull, 25ft or longer with 3 crew.  The only monohulls to get a podium finish were Por Favor, a Hobie 33 with 3 crew that came 3rd in 2015 and Jungle Kitty, a 44ft custom(?) with 8 crew that came 2nd in 2016.  All other podium placers have been multis 25ft or longer with 3 crew (except Bad Kitty which came 3rd in 2017 and had 4 crew).

On the basis of this - it seems odds on that the winner will be one of the following:

Fly Baby Fly - Proa (rumours above indicate will DNS)

Hard Lee - Farrier Eagle, 2 crew.

Lost Boys - F24 - crew of 2 (smaller and only 2 crew)

Pt Watercraft - G32 - 1 crew from Victoria onwards according to above info.

Ptarmigan - F28, 4 crew.

Swan Song - Corsair 28, 4 crew

Wright Yachts - Corsair 970 , 4 crew.

On the basis that the proa will not start and crews of 1 or 2 will not be able to go full on 24hrs per day, I expect that the winner should come from:

Ptarmigan, Swan Song or Wright Yachts.

Having said all that, I have probably put the mockers on these boats and a monohull will win for the first time.

1 hour ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

—->The Team to Meet - Team B4B2, sailing a (gasp) Bayliner 18, destination Ketchikan.  Heroic! Epic!  But of course B4B2 is actually Berrimilla in disguise  (www.berrimilla.com), which is truly epic and heroic.  Those guys have been through the NWP, around the Horn, Syd-Hob, Fastnet...the team to meet because they undoubtedly have great stories to tell!

Definitely agree with this...  I have exchanged emails with Alex a few times and he is a very down to earth guy who just gets on with it.  I am sure that they will get to Ketchican and are planning to deliver B4B2 on to Nome!!!!!  Much more exposed than the R2Ak.

I am looking forward to watching the race from the comfort of my couch. 

Good luck to all competitors.

2 minutes ago, Tunnel Rat said:

OK, here is my take on thing.

The previous races have all been won by a multihull, 25ft or longer with 3 crew.  The only monohulls to get a podium finish were Por Favor, a Hobie 33 with 3 crew that came 3rd in 2015 and Jungle Kitty, a 44ft custom(?) with 8 crew that came 2nd in 2016.  All other podium placers have been multis 25ft or longer with 3 crew (except Bad Kitty which came 3rd in 2017 and had 4 crew).

On the basis of this - it seems odds on that the winner will be one of the following:

Fly Baby Fly - Proa (rumours above indicate will DNS)

Hard Lee - Farrier Eagle, 2 crew.

Lost Boys - F24 - crew of 2 (smaller and only 2 crew)

Pt Watercraft - G32 - 1 crew from Victoria onwards according to above info.

Ptarmigan - F28, 4 crew.

Swan Song - Corsair 28, 4 crew

Wright Yachts - Corsair 970 , 4 crew.

On the basis that the proa will not start and crews of 1 or 2 will not be able to go full on 24hrs per day, I expect that the winner should come from:

Ptarmigan, Swan Song or Wright Yachts.

Having said all that, I have probably put the mockers on these boats and a monohull will win for the first time.

Definitely agree with this...  I have exchanged emails with Alex a few times and he is a very down to earth guy who just gets on with it.  I am sure that they will get to Ketchican and are planning to deliver B4B2 on to Nome!!!!!  Much more exposed than the R2Ak.

I am looking forward to watching the race from the comfort of my coach. 

Good luck to all competitors.

I think that you could be right, that a monohull could win this year. There are a handful of fast mono's entered. What about the Corsair 970 or the 28?. They could be fast. I don't know any of these people, but I guess I will soon.

For me, the interesting boats will be Roger Mann's new boat and the Tornado that has possibly the coolest pedal drive system ever (I think there's a photo of it above in this thread).

I will probably see lots of the slower boats along the way as I did last year. I just don't have much of the kind of crazy it takes to win.

1 hour ago, Left Shift said:

Environment Canada seems to forecast the highest velocities that might be experienced in the forecast area, not the likely velocity you are going to see moseying along.  Then they predict gales and the gales come along and fill the channels with froth and the highest velocity becomes the local velocity and you wish you'd believed them.  

With regard to predicting on the high side, the reason for that may be from a bad experience several years ago. Then, there were a lot of commercial fishing boats out in Queen Charlotte Sound when conditions became much worse that forecast. The result was that a number of lives were lost because conditions became worse than forecasted.

As for Johnstone Strait, I remember being at the dock in Port Neville and watched a cruise ship going south and all one could see was the superstructure. The black hull, except for maybe the top couple feet, was hidden from view by the wind-whipped up spray. Port Neville, on the other hand, was clear. It's good to have some options when stuff like that happens.

About winning this years - several boats has similar potential - it will boil down to the crew- who are willing to take most pain...

As an F-27 owner, and Colorado native I will definitely be rooting for the two F-boats from Colorado. I think the Melges 32 is my pick to win though, those boats are way faster than an F-28 and probably faster than a 970. They are especially impressive in light wind and the large crew should help them to push hard all the way to the finish.

1 hour ago, Mizzmo said:

As an F-27 owner, and Colorado native I will definitely be rooting for the two F-boats from Colorado. I think the Melges 32 is my pick to win though, those boats are way faster than an F-28 and probably faster than a 970. They are especially impressive in light wind and the large crew should help them to push hard all the way to the finish.

They may be sail boats, but if there is no wind, they will have to rely on their human propulsion. That then is a totally different scenario.

That is what makes the R2AK so interesting.

On 5/27/2018 at 3:16 PM, t.rex said:

In the podcast at 25:44, Adrian cites a study by Harvard University which states "the efficiency that you can achieve with that kind of [flapping] propulsion is higher than that you can get out of a propeller, and the gain has been experimentally shown to be about 20 to 30%." I don't know the bibliography of the Harvard publication.

I haven't been able to identify the study, either.  Here are some search results for those who want to look into this further (I have read only abstracts, not the whole papers):

When I ignored where the study was done, this looked most relevant: Optimal Design and Numerical Simulation on Fish-Like Flexible Hydrofoil Propeller

The rest involves someone at Harvard: 

On the rules for aquatic locomotion

Dynamics of freely swimming flexible foils

Locomotor function of the dorsal fin in teleost fishes: experimental analysis of wake forces in sunfish

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dsackman said:

They may be sail boats, but if there is no wind, they will have to rely on their human propulsion. That then is a totally different scenario.

That is what makes the R2AK so interesting.

Yeah, but if race history is continued, its is the fast sailors that will win.  I'm definitely rooting for Roger Mann to set the course Solo record.

53 minutes ago, Mizzmo said:

Yeah, but if race history is continued, its is the fast sailors that will win.  I'm definitely rooting for Roger Mann to set the course Solo record.

He is rowing only. Not sure whether that will compete with the rower / sailors such as the two Angus boats. He may be able to sustain 5 knots for 18 hours a day. The Angus boats row at about 4 knots and can sail at above 10.

This the R2K. Not easy to make any predictions and conditions change. The mind also plays weird games with you.

6 minutes ago, dsackman said:

He is rowing only. Not sure whether that will compete with the rower / sailors such as the two Angus boats. He may be able to sustain 5 knots for 18 hours a day. The Angus boats row at about 4 knots and can sail at above 10.

This the R2K. Not easy to make any predictions and conditions change. The mind also plays weird games with you.

Last I heard Roger is going full survival mode only rowing 8 hrs a day. Check out his Facebook page. No supplies, no GPS, only safety gear and film equipment including a drone. Doesn't sound like he is going for any speed record. Not sure how Gas Monkey fits into all of this.

Ventusky shows the wind easing saturday morning and picking up from the west as the day goes on. This link is from 5am sat morning.

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=48.80;-123.74;7&l=wind-10m&t=20180609/12

https://weather.gc.ca/marine/forecast_e.html?mapID=02&siteID=07003

https://weather.gc.ca/marine/forecast_e.html?mapID=02&siteID=06100

Boats will have it easy this time getting out of PT docks and again into Victoria's inner harbour.

A wet delivery today for everyone not there already and some showers for sat morning. Forecast is light winds or none by tuesday.

Looking forward to the keelboat matchups, the Angus Rowcruisers versus the RAID boat and Mathieu Bonnier, the deviant Bayliner 17 and Morecambe Bay Prawner and the solo Tornado 20. https://r2ak.com/2018-full-race-participants/

https://www.facebook.com/racetoalaska/

Go R2AK!

20 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:
On 6/7/2018 at 8:10 AM, ProaSailor said:

Update from windy.com for Saturday morning, June 9 (tomorrow): https://www.windy.com/?48.324,-122.982,11,m:eZKacKg

• pre-dawn 5 knot westerly jumps to 12 knots by 0700 (gusting to 15)
  • drops to 10 knots by 1000
  • up to 14 knots by 1300 (gusting to 17)
  • up to 19 knots by 1600 (gusting to 25)
  • up to 20 knots by 1900 (gusting to 27)

P.S.  Looking ahead to next Thursday morning (June 14), it shows 20 knots W at 0700, dropping to 17 knots by 0800, then up to 19 WNW later in the afternoon.  Hard on the wind (port tack) from Port Townsend to Victoria.

1 hour ago, Norse Horse said:

Looking forward to the keelboat matchups, the Angus Rowcruisers versus the RAID boat and Mathieu Bonnier, the deviant Bayliner 17 and Morecambe Bay Prawner and the solo Tornado 20. https://r2ak.com/2018-full-race-participants/

https://www.facebook.com/racetoalaska/

Go R2AK!

Sorry too late to edit that is my departure forecast link. Proa does a better job at weather than me :blink:

On the keelboat matchups, the times to beat are

4d12h59m Jungle Kitty 44ft

4d18h6m Madrona 40ft

6d15h45m Hot Mess O30

7d17h22m West Coast Wild Ones ODay27

8d3h49m Por Favor H33

9d3h4m Willpower Seascape 27 [2 crew]

9d22h54m Aluminum Sharpie N2AK Boys with an honourable mention and 5 determined crew in an open, yes fully open sailboat.

https://r2ak.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/20171615-R2AK-Results-1.pdf

Russel has the outright solo record at 9d 5h and Karl Kruger has the fastest solo paddle or row time at 14d 6h, which is only a day slower than the Angus boat at 13d 1hr in 2016.  I'm betting on Russell for 2018, especially with his well engineered prop system.

By the way, for those with an interest in paddling stuff, the R2Ak people are putting on the Seventy48 race starting this Monday June 11th. It's 70 miles from Tacoma to Port Townsend in a maximum of 48 hours for SUP and Outrigger Canoes and maybe other paddle or row craft. Tracker junkies go to https://www.seventy48.com/ 

122 boats works out to $12,200 for the winner of the Tacoma to Port Townsend feeder race!

On 6/8/2018 at 6:02 PM, Foiling Optimist said:

Russel has the outright solo record at 9d 5h and Karl Kruger has the fastest solo paddle or row time at 14d 6h, which is only a day slower than the Angus boat at 13d 1hr in 2016.  I'm betting on Russell for 2018, especially with his well engineered prop system.

By the way, for those with an interest in paddling stuff, the R2Ak people are putting on the Seventy48 race starting this Monday June 11th. It's 70 miles from Tacoma to Port Townsend in a maximum of 48 hours for SUP and Outrigger Canoes and maybe other paddle or row craft. Tracker junkies go to https://www.seventy48.com/ 

Good point I forgot Russel was going solo. He should be able to go well with his pedal drive and the G32. Self righting is a very nice bonus 

I'm part of the peanut gallery this year (after finishing 2016, 2017), so I'm going to have fun and share my own prognostic.  I'd like to simply say "first boat to Seymour Narrows wins" but that's a cop-out. Plus a lot of interesting things can happen after Johnstone Straits, particularly between boats willing to send it in strong winds and at night, vs. more cautious (aka sound) displays of seamanship.

Interesting point this year is there seems to be very few crews with prior R2AK experience. It's largely a fresh slate.  I don't know any of these folks, and I'm not sure how well they are prepared, but here goes:

#1 Wright Yachts (Corsair 970 sport tri): should do great in medium airs & extremely well downwind.  Might hate upwind in strong breeze (new boat nearly guarantees breaking things). Human propulsion is kept secret, and could hurt them in light airs if not up to snuff, but I think boat speed will win it for them in the end.

#2 Sail like a Girl (Melges 32): impressive boat, large crew, local knowledge, and the promise of a pedal drive to keep them moving in any wind.  I wonder how they'll do in any big breeze (the Melges 32 is a real hotrod), and 8 people (or 9?) is crowded even with 4 on/4 off. Can they keep up the pace 24/7?  I'd wager yes.

#3 Ptarmigan (F-28 tri): not the fastest trimaran, but they seem well prepared and have decent (if not great) rowing stations. I expect they'll be consistent in most conditions, and fast when the wind comes up, enough to end ahead of Blueflash.

#4 Blueflash (J-88): a hungry, young team sailing a weapon of a small monohull. I bet they'll send it when they need to, and a pedal drive should keep them moving in the light.  Local knowledge could be a weak spot.

#5 Swan Song (F-28R tri): this should be #2 in raw speed, even-ranked with the Melges 32, but I'm doubtful of their human propulsion -- the race site says paddles?  Sounds slow in light airs.  In 2016, we had mediocre oars on the much faster F-31R trimaran "It Ain't Brain Surgery", and "Hot Mess" the Olson 30 managed to stay close behind for 2/3 of the race, so I think the F-28R will similarly struggle in the light relative to the J-88.

#6+: I think the Olson 30s will do great, I'll tip it to Lagopus since they have local knowledge, ahead of DreamcatchersLost Boys (older F-24 tri) might come after them since it is less racey by F-boat standards, but could surprise if sailed well.

All these boats can finish in 8 days or less, but as with every year, weather windows could generate big gaps for those who drop behind, and human propulsion will be decisive to stretch out ahead of rivals.

X-factors:

- The 34' proa Fly Baby Fly -- will they even start?  (plus oars are going to hurt them in the light)  

- Mknotkrazee sailing our 4th-place Inter 20 from 2017 (team "Ketch me if you can") -- will they see good conditions and push overnight, maybe finishing in 7-8 days and besting some of the boats above?  Improbable, but so was 2017. I know they've been preparing hard.

Lots more interesting action throughout the fleet -- some of the best match-ups I suspect will be among the 20-30ft monohulls mid-fleet. And some boats will be fun to track just for the adventure, it's not all about the race...

As for solo sailors, Russell on PT Watercraft (Gougeon 32 cat) seems like the man to beat.  But I'm especially excited to follow Waterworld Impending (Tornado 20 cat) -- how fast can a solo man push a 2-person olympic cat (especially one that is hard to right even with 2 people)?  Daring indeed.

Wishing an adventurous sail to all participants -- make us Tracker-junkees envious!

Thanks for the prognosis. I don't really know any of the boats or people this year either (except for Larry on Dreamcatchers) and I don't know how to judge the comparative speed of the boats entered, so it's good to hear your thoughts. I think you are right about the Tornado having potential and I can't wait to see the pedal drive on it. I used to have a Tornado and did a lot of sailing on it solo (I called it my favorite cruising boat), but did my fastest ever crossing of the straights on it, so I think it has some potential as an R2AK boat and the pedal system could be really good. I had never heard of a Corsair 970 Sport before, but I guess it's powered up.  I hope an underdog wins this year. By that I mean someone that we don't expect to win and someone not sailing an expensive newer boat. In fact, I hope that someone who could really use the prize money wins and that someone wins in an old boat, which is possible this year as there are a few faster old boats entered.

It seems like there are plenty of entrants who just want to do the race for the experience. I guess that's the category I fit into.  I'll never be nuts enough to win the race and the cruise home is the part I look forward to most.

1 minute ago, Russell Brown said:

Thanks for the prognosis. I don't really know any of the boats or people this year either (except for Larry on Dreamcatchers) and I don't know how to judge the comparative speed of the boats entered, so it's good to hear your thoughts. I think you are right about the Tornado having potential and I can't wait to see the pedal drive on it. I used to have a Tornado and did a lot of sailing on it solo (I called it my favorite cruising boat), but did my fastest ever crossing of the straights on it, so I think it has some potential as an R2AK boat and the pedal system could be really good. I had never heard of a Corsair 970 Sport before, but I guess it's powered up.  I hope an underdog wins this year. By that I mean someone that we don't expect to win and someone not sailing an expensive newer boat. In fact, I hope that someone who could really use the prize money wins and that someone wins in an old boat, which is possible this year as there are a few faster old boats entered.

It seems like there are plenty of entrants who just want to do the race for the experience. I guess that's the category I fit into.  I'll never be nuts enough to win the race and the cruise home is the part I look forward to most.

Good luck in the race, Russell. We're planning on going out the west side this year, but you never know, that was also our plan the year we saw you on the way back near Rebecca Spit. 

20 minutes ago, Russell Brown said:

I had never heard of a Corsair 970 Sport before, but I guess it's powered up.

I haven’t sailed against one so all I know are the specs. As far as I can tell it’s the successor to the F-31R (which i’ve sailed on a lot), with a bigger mast (44ft  vs 41.5ft) and carbon mast/boom so should be lighter too. Unless they’ve put some kind of cruising interior in it (gasp).  For now i’m assuming it’s a powered up version of Big Broderna, thus vying for #1.

I’m less hung up on seeing an underdog winning — the format will always attract a few teams to come play with fancier toys, which adds to the mystique and spectacle. But I expect to see some underdogs surprise in the top #10 maybe even top #5 - certainly happened last year with West Coast Wild Ones, us (at least I think we surprised some folks!), and the high schoolers from North2Alaska too just outside the top #10, just to count a few. Not to mention Karl on his SUP.

I’m looking forward to some great stories this year regardless!

The Corsair 970 is the successor to the F31.  Wright Yachts is the new Corsair dealer in Seattle.  The boat was only delivered recently, AFAIK, so they will certainly be playing catch up in the preparation/practice department.  They are also light on multihull experience so have been sailing with some of our local multihull club folks NWMA.  Still as an Fboat owner and tracker junky I'm rooting for them, Mark on the Tornado, Russell, and many others.  I'm sad I have to miss the wonderful pre race tour of boats in PT this year.  It such a great scene.  Good luck everyone.

Oh, about the Tornado.   Mark is very experienced with this.  He's had one in Seattle for quite some time, and one in LaVentana, a kite board mecca, in Baja Mexico, where he lives in the winter.   So he knows his way around.  He is the guy who did the first leg in the first R2AK on a sailboard and might have won if the wind hadn't gone light just outside Victoria.  Long distance sailboarding is something he does quite a bit of in Seattle and Mexico.  I guess I'm especially rooting for him.  Go Mark, if you are reading this.  Sorry I won't see you off this year.

Does anyone know what became of that cool proa Team Pure and Wild built for (I think) the first R2AK? 

NB Seventy48 is starting at 5:30 today (Monday June 11) http://tracker.seventy48.com/

Good question efrank. Proas are indeed an asymmetrical mystery wrapped in an online argument enigma.  Even the establishment of facts seems fraught with challenge. (sorry please let's not start something; I'm just over excited since I have close friends in the Seventy48)

Who you pulling for FO?  I gotta believe Team 6x600 has to be an early favorite based on horsepower.

Team Valhalla is one of our PT 11 nesting dinghies rowed by Inger Rankins. She's doing way too well and I hope she's going to back off on the throttle soon. She's got a long way to go.

3 hours ago, efrank said:

Does anyone know what became of that cool proa Team Pure and Wild built for (I think) the first R2AK? 

The designer took it with him when he went to work in Bermuda. Not sure where it is now

I just visited the Seventy48 tracker.

Holy poop that's a lot of entries!!

The tracker only shows smaller boats - no sailing boats...?

There are sailing boats but they are not permitted to use sails.  This race is pure human power and whatever current and wind can provide without using sails.

• Like 1

Greg Barton and his team mate won the seventy48. Remember Greg? He won some olympic medals in the K-1, but that was about 30 years ago. 

Inger is absolutely killing it in our nesting dinghy. She's in about the middle of the pack and ahead of a very long string of faster boats. She has done about 70 percent of the race at 8 am.

Inger-70-48.jpg

• Like 2

Weather forecast for Thursday, June 14, Port Townsend to Victoria

Using ECMWF model at windy.com: https://www.windy.com/?48.255,-123.070,11,m:eZFacJX

West wind jumps up to 18 knots, gusting to 28 knots, at 1000 Wednesday morning (the day before) and blows all day and night at near that speed, tapering off to 16 knots by 0400 Thursday.  It drops further to 12 knots by 0700, then 9 knots by 0900, then back up to 12 knots around 1600 and 15 knots by 1800.

Meanwhile, the current reaches max ebb at 0936 against all the waves driven by 24 hours of ~18 knot winds.  Ugh!

http://tides.mobilegeographics.com/locations/2930.html?y=2018&m=6&d=14

2018-06-14 Thu  4:38 AM PDT   -0.0 knots  Slack, Ebb Begins
2018-06-14 Thu  5:12 AM PDT   Sunrise
2018-06-14 Thu  9:36 AM PDT   -3.6 knots  Max Ebb
2018-06-14 Thu  1:36 PM PDT    0.0 knots  Slack, Flood Begins
2018-06-14 Thu  4:40 PM PDT    2.8 knots  Max Flood
2018-06-14 Thu  8:16 PM PDT   -0.0 knots  Slack, Ebb Begins
2018-06-14 Thu  9:16 PM PDT   Sunset
2018-06-14 Thu 11:15 PM PDT   -1.9 knots  Max Ebb

pt_vic_0700.jpg

pt_vic_0900.jpg

pt_vic_1300.jpg

pt_vic_1600.jpg

pt_vic_1800.jpg

It is 13.7 nautical miles from the start to mark #4 near the wind line on the direct route.

On the bright side of the forecast above, the lighter wind shifts a little to the left (southwest) by 0900, at least on the second half of the course.  And to counteract the 3.6 kt max ebb current at 0936, boats will want to fall off the wind further, to hotter wind angles, just to stay along the rhumb line.

Two guys in a kayak paddled 70 miles in 10 hours = 7 mph average.  Pretty impressive.

...ohhh, mannnn. went to Victoria last weekend,, hadn't thought this event was till July.   Kicking myself.   :mellow:

Image result for kicking self gif

1 hour ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Two guys in a kayak paddled 70 miles in 10 hours = 7 mph average.  Pretty impressive.

Very impressive, but...Why is this all being calculated in statute miles?  

3 hours ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Paddlers don't use / can't tie knots??

So that's why they randomly drift onto the beach below my house?

7 hours ago, Kenny Dumas said:

One woman rowed an 11 foot long dinghy 70 miles in just under 20 hours = 3.5 mph average and I'm a bit more than impressed. She never stopped rowing and seemed pretty fine at the end. Inger is not a serious rower and her boat was quite loaded with safety and camping gear. There were so many fast boats behind her and I'm still a bit dumbfounded that she did so well. We'll post a short video of Inger soon.

• Like 1

Didn't someone import the trimaran Dragon from NZ for this race? Im not seeing it listed. Anyone know the scoop? This thing would surely be a contender on raw speed.

17 minutes ago, Steve said:

Didn't someone import the trimaran Dragon from NZ for this race? Im not seeing it listed. Anyone know the scoop? This thing would surely be a contender on raw speed.

They’re planning for 2019.  

I personally would have thought even if not fully ready they could have taken a carefree swing this year then come back fully optimized next year...  

That being said, it’s a big time & dollar commitment to race, so maybe they just preferred to take an off year. 

Definitely a boat to watch next year!

11 minutes ago, galacticair said:

They’re planning for 2019.  

I personally would have thought even if not fully ready they could have taken a carefree swing this year then come back fully optimized next year...  

That being said, it’s a big time & dollar commitment to race, so maybe they just preferred to take an off year. 

Definitely a boat to watch next year!

Correct, we aren't doing it this year, always planned to miss this year and do the the 2019 R2AK, like you said "it’s a big time & dollar commitment to race, so maybe they just preferred to take an off year." Truth is we all have work or sailing commitments in June. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ProaSailor said:

On the bright side of the forecast above, the lighter wind shifts a little to the left (southwest) by 0900, at least on the second half of the course.  And to counteract the 3.6 kt max ebb current at 0936, boats will want to fall off the wind further, to hotter wind angles, just to stay along the rhumb line.

I noticed last night, ~36 hours before the start, that the forecast had changed from what I posted ten hours earlier.  This morning, 24 hours before the start, here is the picture from windy.com: https://www.windy.com/?48.259,-123.072,11,m:eZHacJ1

At 0500, the wind is 14 knots from the west but by 0600, the wind hole around Port Townsend fills in with 7 knots from the SE.  By 1000, a large wind hole develops on the left side of the course, which turns into light (5 knot) SE and southerly wind by noon.  The expected west wind arrives by 1600.

pt_vic_0500.thumb.jpg.d7cfdda4f298e32cc59a580ed82337ca.jpg

pt_vic_0600.thumb.jpg.e10801bbc2c8f3410643f0da276aa3cb.jpg

pt_vic_1000.thumb.jpg.abc21b416bfdf39df91b762858d7d9f7.jpg

pt_vic_1200.thumb.jpg.41ba0c0f267b17a8d1fe16048f952ed6.jpg

pt_vic_1600b.thumb.jpg.eb98e13e9c7294f86aab71c8991cd5c7.jpg

12 hours ago, Russell Brown said:

One woman rowed an 11 foot long dinghy 70 miles in just under 20 hours = 3.5 mph average and I'm a bit more than impressed. She never stopped rowing and seemed pretty fine at the end. Inger is not a serious rower and her boat was quite loaded with safety and camping gear. There were so many fast boats behind her and I'm still a bit dumbfounded that she did so well. We'll post a short video of Inger soon.

Color me impressed. I can't imagine how sore her tailbone is from rowing fixed seat for that many hours. Ouch. 

Mr.Moon, when you row with a fixed seat you use the mass of your body to move your oars, not the muscles in your body.  Your tailbone shouldn't be touching the fixed seat, it slightly overhangs the thwart.  If you have seat padding that matches your own natural butt density you can go all day.  This is why working boats never use sliding seats.  It is slightly slower so sprinters use their muscles and burn along with complex devices that increase leverage.  I learned this from John Gardener, at Mystic.  George Pocock, understood sprinting rigging.  Both have written excellent books on rowing.

39 minutes ago, guerdon said:

Mr.Moon, when you row with a fixed seat you use the mass of your body to move your oars, not the muscles in your body.  Your tailbone shouldn't be touching the fixed seat, it slightly overhangs the thwart.  If you have seat padding that matches your own natural butt density you can go all day.  This is why working boats never use sliding seats.  It is slightly slower so sprinters use their muscles and burn along with complex devices that increase leverage.  I learned this from John Gardener, at Mystic.  George Pocock, understood sprinting rigging.  Both have written excellent books on rowing.

Almost correct you are guerdon. Muscles are still used however.

Sliding seat rowing is much more taxing on the body for the return compared to fixed.

For an endurance event like the R2AK, it is best to be able to lock your slider so one has the option.

38 minutes ago, guerdon said:

I built a 15' plywood dory about 20 years ago. It was a joy to row, but the seat I rigged made my tailbone raw. I must not have set it up correctly. 

Race day T-1! Any dock-side chatter from those in PT?  (now of course if I was there I wouldn't even be online...)

Has the elusive proa turned up? (Team Fly Baby Fly) -- I gather from R2AK FB page it was driving up a few days ago. If so, is it now going solo? (only one person listed as crew now on race site)

Is the Corsair 970 still putting together their brand-new boat? (Team Wright Yachts) -- I remember Team Tritium in 2016 still gluing on their windows and buying a GPS plotter at Westmarine the afternoon before the start...

Who looks chill? (Russel? - he looked supremely relaxed launching the Gougeon 32 last year).  Nervous?

11 hours ago, ProaSailor said:

I noticed last night, ~36 hours before the start, that the forecast had changed from what I posted ten hours earlier.  This morning, 24 hours before the start, here is the picture from windy.com: https://www.windy.com/?48.259,-123.072,11,m:eZHacJ1

At 0500, the wind is 14 knots from the west but by 0600, the wind hole around Port Townsend fills in with 7 knots from the SE.  By 1000, a large wind hole develops on the left side of the course, which turns into light (5 knot) SE and southerly wind by noon.  The expected west wind arrives by 1600.

Flukey forecast!  Another update:

1000 - That wind hole on the left moves to PT, shutting off the SE wind and moving the wind line ~16 nm from Point Wilson.

pt_vic_1000b.thumb.jpg.c20bc297364de2f129f718fad43efb4e.jpg

Wind on the second half of the course shifts left, becoming SW by noon. 

pt_vic_1200b.thumb.jpg.3645873ccc6ebd1ea2393aa7c3abaf64.jpg

1 hour ago, galacticair said:

Race day T-1! Any dock-side chatter from those in PT?  (now of course if I was there I wouldn't even be online...)

Has the elusive proa turned up? (Team Fly Baby Fly) -- I gather from R2AK FB page it was driving up a few days ago. If so, is it now going solo? (only one person listed as crew now on race site)

Is the Corsair 970 still putting together their brand-new boat? (Team Wright Yachts) -- I remember Team Tritium in 2016 still gluing on their windows and buying a GPS plotter at Westmarine the afternoon before the start...

Who looks chill? (Russel? - he looked supremely relaxed launching the Gougeon 32 last year).  Nervous?

The proa did turn up, but was still in pieces in the parking lot at almost noon today. The boat itself has potential, but how someone could show up the day before the race with a boat that has never really sailed is beyond me. This is mostly why proas have a bad name, they attract flakes. This is not just optimism, it's lot's of bad qualities combined, including ego. I really hope someone ends up with the boat that will sort it out. I really hope it's not on the starting line at 5 am. I'd be embarrassed. I saw some come cool pedal drives inspired by a certain Australian pedal drive expert. Can't wait to see the Tornado going.

• Like 2

On 6/12/2018 at 10:22 AM, Kenny Dumas said:

We were out spectating at about the 28 mile mark and those two guys (Greg Barton and Kevin Olney) screamed by us like they were a freight train. We were cheering them on but they barely even looked up, totally committed. (Greg Barton,  4 WC and 2 Olympic Goal medals in kayak. Even in his late 50’s he still has it!)

But my hero is Inger Rankins who rowed Russell’s nesting PT-11 non-stop thought the night to finish a very respectable 41st in an all around dinghy, hardly an elite racing craft, but maybe the coolest multi use small boat around. I love mine! (But I am not going to row her 70 miles!)

She was drinking beer for hours after she finished and looks fine today!

Rehydration is the cornerstone to exceptional physical prowess. Question is, was she adding electrolytes to her suds?

To all R2AK competitors, good luck and safe travels. You guys are the embodiment of the frontier spirit!

1 hour ago, Russell Brown said:

..... I saw some come cool pedal drives inspired by a certain Australian pedal drive expert. Can't wait to see the Tornado going.

Matt Johnson (Take Me to the Volcano) is pure pedal this year and plans to go all the way.  Rouleur has been on a diet.  The only ply remaining is in the main hull.  The cockpit is now all PVC foam as are the stabilisers.  In the testing, without provisions, he could sustain 5kts with heart rate under 100bpm.  Matt has done some on-water testing.  His drive has previously covered more than 100nm and he has checked it over but I am not sure of what he has renewed.  The curved shafts will fail if not set up well.   I think he will carry a spare for that.

Mark Dix with the Tornado has fitted pedal drives on both hulls so he can choose to load one hull for either righting moment or reduced drag and still pedal.  It should be a true motor sailor.  Mark intended to sail to PT as a test run but the shakedown will now be the crossing to Victoria as he ran out of time - who doesn't?

Anyhow I will follow the tracker with interest and best wishes to all for a fast, fun and safe journey.  The race is a brilliant concept held in a great part of the planet.

• Like 2

I hope it goes well for all of you. We will be leaving Silva Bay on the 25th of June, heading towards the Broughtons. So will be behind the fleet. We are cruising in our Viking 33. If you get stuck somewhere up there, try and get us on the VHF. Boat name is Griffon. Looks like the weather is improving. Good luck to you all.

27 minutes ago, RickW said:

.......Anyhow I will follow the tracker with interest and best wishes to all for a fast, fun and safe journey.  The race is a brilliant concept held in a great part of the planet......

Me too, couldn’t have put it better myself.... One day.....

Like often happens, I regret my comments about the guy with the proa. I feel bad for him and I wish he had the time to make the start. Sorry for being a jerk.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Russell Brown said:

Like often happens, I regret my comments about the guy with the proa. I feel bad for him and I wish he had the time to make the start. Sorry for being a jerk.

This is SA, that's hardly a blip on the radar. You are one of the remarkably calm posters here.

• Like 1

Mr.Moon, as a designer and builder of many dories I have seen many converted to sliding seats.  The only one I have seen that was OK was a fiberglass splash of Phil Bolgers lovely gull.  The dory is ideal for short oars and fixed seat propulsion.  When you "improve" it with longer oars, riggers, and a sliding seat you will miss the historical reason for their longevity.  They are meant to be rowed long distances with your body mass.  Your sore tail is a result of trying to make the geometry of a sprinting shell fit into a load hauler.  It is very hard to do well because they are at odds and the geometry never seems to work out.  Another factor is the waves in the sea cause long oared shells to roll violently which also fatigues your butt.  I hope this helps you.

Russell, you are hardly a jerk.  If anyone suffers fools, it is you.  Good luck in R2AK.  Aloha, Guerdon.

Another cheer for Inger. Saw her as she landed on the beach and unlike many who looked whupped (or hypothermic which a number of folks were), Inger looked her positive self. I don't mean to be rude but how old is Inger? A great finish, Rupert must be proud. My second favorite team was Last American Man and his Aluminum Gruman Canoe. Is there any other kind? On the Pope Marine dock today I heard him described as wool pants, flannell shirt and a half rack of Rolling Rock in his boat. Very PNW.

I suspect Seventy48 is going to continue to grow while R2AK will stay at its current level or perhaps fade a bit. My race fav for no particular reason is one of the two Olsen 30's. The Corsair/Farrier fleet looked a little depleted this year and the "hot" boats from elsewhere don't have the best of track records. The 970 looked a little too new and as much as boat speed matters, this is a race about grit.

Wishing all a safe crossing of the Strait tomorrow.

When is the start exactly? I read 05.00 somewhere is that correct? Is there a last time to pass the start-line?

Yes 5am - the turn of the tide.  I think they have two days to get to Victoria.  I expect you would need to cross the start line in time to realistically meet the finish deadline.

They are still milling around the start line.  They have delayed the start in precious years.

It looks like they are away so maybe they did start at 5am.

The tracker is that good? - they talk in the livefeed that they pass pint Hudson - but in the tracker it seems they go another way?

1 minute ago, SeaGul said:

The tracker is that good? - they talk in the livefeed that they pass pint Hudson - but in the tracker it seems they go another way?

The tracker seems to be slow to update.  I watched them start on the PT webcam.  Most of the boats are now out of view at 5:17 PT time.