Sign in to follow this  
gjbike

Inhaulers for Fareast 28R - PART DEUX

OK,  have reengineered the inhauler setup.  Using solid aluminum low friction Antal padeyes and 29mm T2 Harken air blocks and an Antal solid ring. Covered dyneema line ( I still have to strip the cover over the front and put a put a Brummel splice to luggage tag the end to the block). This gives me some purchase and I think is beefy enough to withstand the forces from the jib shdeet.

Enlight148.JPG

On 12/31/2017 at 12:39 PM, gjbike said:

OK,  have reengineered the inhauler setup.  Using solid aluminum low friction Antal padeyes and 29mm T2 Harken air blocks and an Antal solid ring. Covered dyneema line ( I still have to strip the cover over the front and put a put a Brummel splice to luggage tag the end to the block). This gives me some purchase and I think is beefy enough to withstand the forces from the jib shdeet.

Enlight148.JPG

You are using way too many parts and are ending up with an under-performing setup

I understand the blocks are optional and the set up would work using the low friction padeyes alone but I added the blocks to assure the force would always be in  the direction for which the padeyes were designed and that rotational forces would be minimized. It seemed to work with minimal resistance as is but I haven't had a chance  to use it under heavy load yet. 

From bad to worse

There are people who make their livings resolving this sort of thing.

Perhaps you should consult one

Well at least you have a cool boat to play around with. They may be right about the overdo part, but give it a try and let us know. 

How many 28’s are in the US now? Are there enough for a regatta? 

Just wondering. 

14 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Well at least you have a cool boat to play around with. They may be right about the overdo part, but give it a try and let us know. 

How many 28’s are in the US now? Are there enough for a regatta? 

Just wondering. 

Last I heard there were 10 in the US. There are 4 I believe already going to Charleston this Spring. I would love to make it five but I would need to figure a way to get free from work. 

15 hours ago, TBone said:

From bad to worse

There are people who make their livings resolving this sort of thing.

Perhaps you should consult one

I thought the whole purpose of forums like this was precisely to share ideas and experiences so all can benefit.   

14 hours ago, bloodshot said:

the J109 inhauler system is here:  https://j109.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1049

perhaps a good model for simplifying your setup.

Looks good. Actually , perhaps it looks more complex than it really is. Just a simple purchase system that allows both forward -aft and in/out adjustment. Relatively cheap upgrade. Lucked out that the Antal padeye holes matched the holes I made for previous set-up. The proof of the pudding is in the eating so we will see in a couple of weeks during the next race.