jack_sparrow

VOR Management MIA maybe Dead?

Two legs gone since Turner gone, so who is running this show, other than some names???

From what we have seen at Melbourne be it unexplained variences to the SI's/Rules regarding fixing damaged shit without apparent penalty, appalling on the ground facilities and sponsor support being torched (pro-am cancelled with no notice or explanation) and the list goes on and on.

Who are these mystery guys who have been running this show since Turner and still fail to poke their head above the parapet to explain and or counter the above issues.

Must be because you phantoms haven't finished assembling your new salary package inclusive free cars yet? You have found like all of us, the frustration of building a bookcase watching TV, then some left over bits? Hate that.

Get a wriggle on will you, who ever you turkeys are, poke your head up and say something. If you don't fans of this sport and this event will come after you big time..and it won't be pretty.

images (44).jpeg

Was at VOR headquarters in Alicante a few days ago. Two or three young guys running around but otherwise dead quiet. No one in race control. It was over the holiday week and with no racing going on I didn't expect much else. There was no sign under the door saying "under the new management of XXX" unfortunately.

Does it matter? real men don't "need" the Ikea instructions.

I hope they dump the plan to race foiling multis for the inshore races. If the VOR returns to Melbourne I'll be on the water if they race the Volvos, probably not for the multis. Defeats the purpose of watching the VOR inshore races. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, hoppy said:

I hope they dump the plan to race foiling multis for the inshore races. If the VOR returns to Melbourne I'll be on the water if they race the Volvos, probably not for the multis. Defeats the purpose of watching the VOR inshore races. 

I think the foiling cat was DOA.

Before he was formally appointed VOR CEO, Turner was pretty upfront about his desire to turn VOR into something resembling a sport league - something like Russell Coutts envisioned for AC. 

Imagine the complicated rules they'd have had to invent so teams would spend the time on a boat class that doesn't transfer skills to their off shore boat. 

Turner called it right tools for the job. Missed the point that ppl show up to watch VOR because they wanted THAT boat with THAT group of offshore sailors showing they can handle THAT boat in shore. 

• Like 4

IMO the same boat should be used for the inshore and offshore racing.

However if VOR wants to beef up the stopover entertainment perhaps they could combine with the Extreme Sailing Series or other class to provide more spectacle.

• Like 3

Continuing on from another thread.

So, I asked the question - has anyone taken up residence MT's old office? 

Yes or no to that would tell a great deal.

I wonder what direction Volvo might have given to the new team. You don't just appoint a new CEO, you expect them to have some vision, and to align that with your own directions. 

Alicante - A little like a racing boat without a crew boss, or tactician, or skipper.. Not the people but one or more of the functions.

On 02/01/2018 at 10:33 PM, rogerfal said:

IMO the same boat should be used for the inshore and offshore racing.

However if VOR wants to beef up the stopover entertainment perhaps they could combine with the Extreme Sailing Series or other class to provide more spectacle.

when I followed the race 2005-06, they had extreme 40s doing the inshore races in the states. I missed the inshore in the UK so I don't know if they had them there, but it was pretty cool to see the 40s race. the volvo's themselves were busy with corporate sails....

here in AD both times the race stopped, it was the volvo's doing the inshore racing and that was much better :D

2 minutes ago, Potter said:

The X40s used in 2005-6 were not related to the teams, and did not count for points in the VOR.

nah, but they were entertainment. 

The X40s were interesting, and no doubt, they were the progenitor of a lot of interesting stuff to come. But ocean racing they were not. 

The whole thing left me a bit bemused - and I'm a cat sailor. 

But I signed up as a VOR fan boy, so I want to see big evil ocean going boats doing their stuff, not to see stadium racing. Nothing has changed here as far as I am concerned.

yeah, but in 05-06 it was the 40s or nothing because of the corporate commitment.

I preferred to watch the volvos do inport racing here in AD like I said, but if it's something or nothing to watch; I'll take something.

Yep the race has to be about racing the same boats inshore and offshore. Better that the inshore only comes into play as a tie breaker too as we currently have.

First and foremost it's an offshore race.

If they want to put a side show on using foiling cats (or whatever) so be it but not to the detriment of the main event. In which case no compulsion for the VOR teams to participate in the side show.

And think of the silly rules they have to create so teams don't ignore the inshore event because sailing on the cats won't help their boat handling on the Volvo boats. 

The whole thing could be better coordinated with other events.

Eg: Volvo Ocean Race Auckland Stopover will be in town at the same time as the 36th America's Cup is being run (Feb/Mar 2020).

Extending the Melbourne stopover a few weeks would have taken in their Festival of Sails and/or Sydney to Hobart (why did they stop doing that?)

In a perfect world where I had control over everything, every three years the Volvo would sail from one international sailing event to another and have two-week-long or month-long stopovers during those events. If the organisers could coordinate with the AC organisers, even better.

7 hours ago, webdeveloper said:

The whole thing could be better coordinated with other events.

Eg: Volvo Ocean Race Auckland Stopover will be in town at the same time as the 36th America's Cup is being run (Feb/Mar 2020).

Extending the Melbourne stopover a few weeks would have taken in their Festival of Sails and/or Sydney to Hobart (why did they stop doing that?)

In a perfect world where I had control over everything, every three years the Volvo would sail from one international sailing event to another and have two-week-long or month-long stopovers during those events. If the organisers could coordinate with the AC organisers, even better.

Imagine the costs of that. Tough enough getting sponsors at the moment

Many complaints have been logged regarding 6 hour position updates. As a follower, would you be willing to buy a subscription for more frequent updates? What would pay for 24/7 "live" position reports?

19 hours ago, webdeveloper said:

Grant Dalton was muttering about coordination between the VOR and AC, but his idea would be the exact opposite. The two can have heavy commonality in personnel, not just sailors, but in the support teams, and the idea of coordination would be to ensure that the races were kept as far apart as possible. Long term, GD's hope is clearly that there would become essentially national sailing teams that competed in a range of events, starting with the AC and VOR, but probably with some involvement in the nation's olympic efforts as well. IF NZ can do it, getting other nations on a similar footing would make for a pretty amazing long term competition.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Francis Vaughan said:

Grant Dalton was muttering about coordination between the VOR and AC, but his idea would be the exact opposite. The two can have heavy commonality in personnel, not just sailors, but in the support teams, and the idea of coordination would be to ensure that the races were kept as far apart as possible. Long term, GD's hope is clearly that there would become essentially national sailing teams that competed in a range of events, starting with the AC and VOR, but probably with some involvement in the nation's olympic efforts as well. IF NZ can do it, getting other nations on a similar footing would make for a pretty amazing long term competition.

It is an interesting approach to the shared problem... How to keep good ppl that make an institution employed with you. 

Turner's belief was if you throw money at the event by increasing it's frequency and more boats, you attract long term sponsors like a football league. 

Dalton's belief comes from the other direction. He's dealt with more money issues for longer from a small market and wants to distribute cost by sharing event organization and logistics costs. 

The problem with both? Like Russell Coutts, no one owns the AC, so you can't rely on commitments beyond the current cycle. As for VOR, barrier to entry is as low as ever, but who has the confidence to look into the crystal ball and say MAPFRE or DF will be back?

I wouldn't put money on Akzo. And the remaining teams are the discount entrants. 

On 1/7/2018 at 11:38 AM, Varan said:

Many complaints have been logged regarding 6 hour position updates. As a follower, would you be willing to buy a subscription for more frequent updates? What would pay for 24/7 "live" position reports?

+1

One imagines Mark Turner does not regret his decision to leave, but VOR has something of a crisis on its hands.  Is anyone in particular in charge?

2 hours ago, staysail said:

One imagines Mark Turner does not regret his decision to leave, but VOR has something of a crisis on its hands.  Is anyone in particular in charge?

Not sure he left as much as was shown the door...

Good time to revive this thread, though it’s a shitty set of circumstances. 

This is going to be baptism of fire for them now, I wonder if they’ll just hire in a PR crisis management team to deal with this?

7 hours ago, Liquid said:

Not sure he left as much as was shown the door...

Very much left of his own accord, but due to being unable to get his vision passed in the timeliness he wanted.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2018 at 1:29 PM, mad said:

Good time to revive this thread, though it’s a shitty set of circumstances. 

This is going to be baptism of fire for them now, I wonder if they’ll just hire in a PR crisis management team to deal with this?

Hire? These guys are hatchet men. Why TF do you think they've never visibly associated themselves with the race?

2 minutes ago, jackolantern said:

Hire? These guys are hatchet men. Why TF do you think they've never visibly associated themselves with the race?

The silence is becoming more bizarre by the day.Border Security Amendments Today! - Page 4 - Off Topic - VisaJourney.

The VOR running silent on autopilot, whoulda thunk?

Can you say Damage Control?

On 1/1/2018 at 3:23 AM, jack_sparrow said:

Two legs gone since Turner gone, so who is running this show, other than some names???

From what we have seen at Melbourne be it unexplained variences to the SI's/Rules regarding fixing damaged shit without apparent penalty, appalling on the ground facilities and sponsor support being torched (pro-am cancelled with no notice or explanation) and the list goes on and on.

Who are these mystery guys who have been running this show since Turner and still fail to poke their head above the parapet to explain and or counter the above issues.

Must be because you phantoms haven't finished assembling your new salary package inclusive free cars yet? You have found like all of us, the frustration of building a bookcase watching TV, then some left over bits? Hate that.

Get a wriggle on will you, who ever you turkeys are, poke your head up and say something. If you don't fans of this sport and this event will come after you big time..and it won't be pretty.

I have mentioned this before, but I think it might be relevant here now.

My wife and I were in Phoenix for Thanks Giving, and were in some cafe and started chatting with a total stranger who happened to work for SCA. When I mentioned the boat SCA his immediate reaction was that their sponsorship had been a complete waste of time and money. He was genuinely stunned to hear that SCA had developed quite a following. As far as he was concerned, the right decision to not be involved with Team SCA had been made.

So, what it tells me, is that VOR management is dealing with sponsors who take a very different view of the race than we do. Who knows why the change of management occurred at VOR, but it this person I spoke to is any reflection of the corporate view of the race, then their attitudes might be more understandable. What this bodes for the future of the VOR is difficult to see. On it's current course and trajectory... maybe not too rosy? The Vestas incident is certainly not going to help.

18 minutes ago, Last Post said:

The VOR running silent on autopilot, whoulda thunk?

Can you say Damage Control?

Think they’re making it an awful lot worse now, 1 statement and then complete silence! 

Especially following on from Mark Turners leaving. 

Maybe today was a day of board level discussions and just maybe some decisions?

• Like 1

Who is important?

Local dignitaries included Tong Yui Shing, President of the Hong Kong Sailing Federation; Andrew Kwok, CEO of HGC; The Hon Lau Kong-wah, Secretary for Home Affairs. They were joined by Volvo Ocean Race Executive Director Karin Backlund, and Grant Calder, Hong Kong Port Director.

Not sure where "Volvo Ocean Race Executive Director" fits into the org chart, but Karin Bäcklund is listed as "Commercial Director on the VOR website, and In 2011 she was listed as Sponsorship Director. Quite a few Karin Bäcklunds on Twitter,

Whatever all those titles actually mean post Mark Turner.

Anyway, she gave a pretty interesting discussion about ownership of the race and its value to Volvo. Might put the Leg 5 state visit into context

The web presence has been amazingly quiet during the stop-overs, an particularly now after the incident. It's not helping the other, highly speculative thread on these boards regarding that incident. The silence brews speculation. Not good for the event. 

12 hours ago, Slark said:

The web presence has been amazingly quiet during the stop-overs, an particularly now after the incident. It's not helping the other, highly speculative thread on these boards regarding that incident. The silence brews speculation. Not good for the event. 

Swedes can only handle saying positive things even if they are untrue. There is no way to put a positive spin on what happened so they hide.

according to the report from SS on the FP, Richard Brisius appeared in China and even held a (apparently not very inspiring) speech to a large audience.  Shanghai Sailor, anything worth mentioning from it? (btw, thanks for the report). 

3 hours ago, JeronimoII said:

according to the report from SS on the FP, Richard Brisius appeared in China and even held a (apparently not very inspiring) speech to a large audience.  Shanghai Sailor, anything worth mentioning from it? (btw, thanks for the report). 

Now that would be interesting to hear! Just to hear the lack of inspiration. 

What's the VOR worth? In addition to the Karin Bäcklund estimates posted above, here's a figure Due Diligence for future buyers/ company splits to consider: 

€485M

So says Björn Alberts, Marketing & Communications Director at Volvo Ocean Race for the last edition. Good reading at http://bjornalberts.com/2016/01/23/extreme-content-marketing-worth-485-million-euro/

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stief said:

What's the VOR worth? ...€485M

That is a cute thing called Marketing Worth...not to be confused with Nett Market Value if it was to be sold, which if you listen to Karin Buckland it would have to be an opportunity sale, otherwise they will continue to support it. Interesting in the context of current rumours of their canvassing for new owner. 

Agree. I've never understood how a corporate board can be convinced to pay 5 million for, say, a 30 second Super Bowl ad. But, they do, and presumably, get that money back. 

If the VOR brand is being marketed . . . . figure  that 485 figure would be tossed around in negotiations. 

makes a 20 million per team campaign look piddling. 

Makes some sense of Mark Turner's point that:

You mustn't just follow what the sailors want, with all due respect,t because usually they're not not often at the idea adding up how much it costs and working out whether it makes it actually stacks up commercially

(at 20:30 in this vid )

From Seahorse Magazine's newsletter, 25th of april:

Volvo Race for sale?

Meanwhile, the Volvo Ocean Race could be close to being sold, according to several sources close to the event. We understand that at least two companies are undertaking due diligence checks before making a potential bid.

The race is currently jointly owned by Volvo Cars and Volvo Group, and that joint ownership may be set to split. Volvo Cars is owned by Zhejiang Geely Holding, while Volvo Group, often referred to as AB Volvo, whose products include busses, construction vehicles and marine engines, remains a Swedish owned company based in Gothenburg.

The race is currently headed up by Richard Brisius, who is also CEO of the company running Sweden’s bid to host the Winter Olympics in 2026.

Read more at http://www.yachtingworld.com/news/vendee-globe-imoca-60-designs-adopted-next-volvo-ocean-race-114319#fWlVyQIKxgYwkzW9.99