• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
pepito_fdez

Catamaran suggestions. Planning on living onboard.

Hello crew,

I am 39 years old and a software engineer. Not a fatty useless nerd -I was a pro athlete for over 10 years- I just happen to be good at math and computer science and went to college for it.

I have no previous sailing experience but I've been raised -since I was born- in a small beach town so I am very familiar with the "sea". I am also a fast learner.

Having said that.... I am planning on buying a catamaran in about two years. Budget is around $1M. The idea is to live on the catamaran with my family and work from there. I need some experts' opinion on what should I look for given the following constraints.

- I need something spacious -probably more than 50ft?- otherwise wifey will be bickering... who wants that? :)

- I am planning on sailing around the world. Mostly between America/Caribbean to Europe and vice versa (Atlantic ocean) and maybe venture out to the pacific at one point.

- I am looking for comfort/performance balance -since I have to accommodate family even thought I would go performance if I were single. I don't mind reaching Europe a "couple days later" if that means my family feels "home". I guess I am looking for a balance but don't want a floating house either. :)

- I am going to need to generate electricity while sailing (I need access to internet on demand).

- That being said... I need the best technology onboard for internet connectivity.

- Also I want to rely on technology as much as possible for cruising and navigation just for efficiency. I am very athletic so I don't mind physical work if needed.

- Luxury is not important. As long as it is comfortable and "feels nice", I am ok. 

- Should I buy new or used?

- Any specific brand?

Thank you so much in advance. I just joined the forum. Looking forward to meet great folks here. I got good recommendations online. 

7 minutes ago, pepito_fdez said:

I have no previous sailing experience

You might want to consider chartering a big cat with a captain to get a feel for the scale of your project.

• Like 4
  • Downvote 1

+1

Best idea - and it's the first one ;)

And try living aboard, all of you together,  continuously for a couple of months -- you and family need to experience living aboard 24/7/30days a month. Really - It's a HUGE leap to expect everyone to be comfortable with that lifestyle (even yourself :() and much better to test before making a million dollar commitment

All the best,

• Like 1

Thank you so much for these earlier responses. 

@weightless, yes. That's part of the plan. That's why I am planning to buy in two years so that I can get ready. That's actually a good idea. I've met people (Ft. Lauderdale) who have lived aboard for many years and asked a lot of questions. So far seems very doable.

@tom312 our "assumption" is that both, me and my wife are very self-entertained individuals. In other words, she is always very busy with her stuff and me, being a software developer, my life revolves around computers, coffee and a comfortable chair. So, for the most part we are really in our own little worlds. Also, we both enjoy "home" and same things (watching movies, cooking, beach, etc.). She says the reason is we are both from the same zodiacal sign. Go figure :)

This is not a decision we've made lightly. We are just both tired of the city/inland life, stuck in one place when in reality my business allows me to work even from the moon. We do have inland properties in America and Germany that we are not planning to sell and if we do, most likely will be to buy something near a marina in case we need to take a break from sailing or aboard life.

I've been researching in this forum and the reason I ask for help is because the disparity in prices between two boats that seem relatively equals. I just don't want to walk to a marina and get 'screwed over' by a sales person that all they have in mind is to make a buck out of the sale. 

You have a lot to learn, people who have sailed their entire lives sometimes can't get 100 miles in a boat.  

But seems you are confident and are a fast learner.  I never want to be a doubter.  Also seems like you have the budget so money can make up for a  lot of things, but not everything.

My advice is to buy used since you really have no idea what you want /need.   I would hire some sort of consultant that you trust to help guide you through the purchase.    You are going to need more help than a buyers broker can provide.  Maybe not but spending a few thousand dollars on a consultant could help you in the long run

You make no mention of learning how to sail before you actually get the boat.  Taking some sort of sailing course would be advisable.  And learning in small boats would be best.  Very easy to go up from there.

Charter idea is also a great place to start.  From your description I would hire a bareboat with a captain, not a crewed yacht charter.

I would also recommend hiring aboard a captain for the first 6 months when you actually pull the trigger and buy a boat.  No point and reinventing the wheel and learning by mistakes, especially when mistakes out on a  big boat can be life or death.  For instance you can't just pull over like you can in a car when things go wrong.  

Other than that there are so many questions and answers I don't know where to start so I won't.

Analogy might be your are starting at first grade math but you need to know calculus  before you can attempt what you want. 

For instance you questions about generating electricity.

Best of luck and there will be a lot of doubters here, just push on.  I know a couple who where in your shoes a few years ago, they are now sailing around with their two kids  in a performance 50'+ catamaran.  So it can be done  

• Like 1

This isn't an easy answer, and no one boat fits the bill for everyone or every family. It would help to define that as well, if it's just you and your wife, 50+' is A LOT of boat especially for someone that is new to sailing. I think 45' is the ideal size for 2, and even enough space for 3 or 4.

I would look at the Outremer 45 and some of the Fountain Peugeot line. Get onboard the different boats and go sailing. There is also the gunboat and HH brand but I think price wise that could be stretching it a bit (the largest difference there is probably 5% more performance, maybe 10% for the older designs, with a high end interior fit out, but by no means would you be roughing it on an Outremer 45).

One of the biggest potential issues you may face with this decision is global high speed internet access to do your job. Inmarsat and Viasat are 2 services with near global coverage. Here is a price breakdown for Inmarsats service: https://satellitephonestore.com/bgan-service

I personally wouldn't be selling property to cover my global unlimited satellite plan, with the flip side being exactly how much data do you need? You may have wifi and cellular data when in port and I suspect during longer passages getting work done won't be particularly easy.

• Like 1

You have gotten some good advice, but I think you need to be very clear about your internet data requirements. Regional high speed service with high data limits can cost thousands a month, but thats per service, if you really need high speed data world wide expect to be paying tens of thousands a month. 

There is also a question of speed. Offshore data speeds are a fraction the speed you would expect from even a 3g connection. 100kbps is on the high end for off shore service, and expect to spend 4-6 thousand a month for those speeds. Plus the cost of the equipment to provide it can be costly. Add in the power requirements and space needed for the antenna and it can be pretty unaffordable to transfer large files.

The alternative is just to assume you will be out of contact for a few weeks every year doing major transits and relying on local 3g connectivity once you get where you are going.  

• Like 2

@robalex117 thank you for the encouragement. I recognize that my family's safety will be in my hands, therefore getting myself ready is mandatory. My course of action will be to move somewhere in Florida. I already got books, videos and training/simulators. This will help me to understand the basics, then take some sort of classes/certification -if such a thing exist- for one year and hire a captain to kick it off with my own boat. In regards to buying a smaller boat, I feel that it will slow things down too much because I would have to sell it later on, then buy the one I really want, etc. I think both the consultant and captain idea are great!

I know some of my questions (electricity) may come across too simplistic, but I just wanted to point out some of the concerns without assuming that I can 'google it up'.

One thing to keep in mind is that I don't expect to be sailing 24/7. Living on the boat, yes. Sailing like a pirate, no. I just want the freedom to move whenever I want, wherever I want. I envision it more like sailing to Puerto Rico, stay there as long as I want to, then continue to Jamaica, next island, next island, etc. 

@samc99us Yes, I want to sail on different boat sizes before I make my mind. I thought of 50+' because we plan to have friends and relatives aboard with us at any point in time. We are already 3 (wife and daughter) and one more in the making, so that would be 4. Most of our friends have kids as well, so I have to keep that in mind. 

I like the Outremer 45. I read great reviews. Also read that they are overpriced and that other boats out there with similar features for 30% cheaper. How truthful is that? HH are cool but I don't need a lot of luxury really. Comfort, yes.

Regarding internet, I don't really need a lot of bandwidth. Most of my stuff is in the cloud. The data exchange is minimum. Inmarsats seems pricey!!! Lord. I read somewhere that there are some devices (around $25K) that basically connects you to satellites for a bargain. Not sure. I will research more. Again, for the most part, I will be docked somewhere.

And you are right! Who wants to be working while sailing??? No way! I would miss all the fun.

Thank you for the good vibes and responses! 

Feel free to PM me for help. It's a big topic. There are lots of good boats if a Gunboat isn't in the budget. 

• Like 1

2nd the motion to buy a small boat first ~$2k and less than 20ft.  Then move up to 30'  ~$30k  then charter some 50'   This will help you learn faster.  Also, you will make mistakes.  Everyone makes mistakes.  Making mistakes with a 50' boat is a huge setback. You can be sailing the 30 footer next year, and then buying dreamboat in 2 years.

Would recommend checking out Chris White and his designs.

Atlantic 55'

This is a nice boat to live on, and lots of nice Marina's in Florida with wifi etc.  Can take it on cruises to the Bahamas easy.  Maybe hire a captain to cross the gulf stream.

• Like 1

Pepito, 

Buy a 20' something now... Heck go buy a Corsair Mk2 or older Sprint for a few thousand for the spring and sail the piss out of it for two years. You will run into things, you will bounce off the dock, and fixing a boat worth a couple grand is cheap, bouncing a $1m yacht on the rocks is a seriously bad day. 

As for internet, most cruisers just buy a SIM card every where they go and gripe about the complexity. Its adds up, but nothing like the cost of satellite. Its why even mega-yachts tend to have massive onboard movie libraries. Even at $10,000 a day charter fees for the boats satellite internet is a massive cost. And it really isn't necessary. Sat phones for sure, even being able to receive and send e-mail is fine, but accessing real data just has to wait until you are within sight of land.

• Like 1

I feel a boat like the Outremer is a little much to the performance side here - a little more "roomy" could be Catana -  still daggerbords and performance - but more space. Both are wellknown and bought used will keep their value as good as boats can. The latest is important - bec - when this maybe will be your first boat - its possible you will change .

Buy used - with the right equipment - lots of money there. 

I feel the way the boat will be used - moving from place to place - but mainly living on it- I  wouldnt rule out the roomarans either - like Lagoon - if you want them to sail they can too - give them good sails and sail active - look at the results for the ARC; https://www.worldcruising.com/arc/arc_2017_eventresults.aspx?eventid=82

We had a discussion in another tread about NEEL - I dont like them too much - but it can seem like the NEEL 51 is lots for the money at purcase. But they dont have the solid name  like Catana, Outremer, Lagoon etc. 

Nautitech have good looking roomarans - but Bavaria has now bought them - not sure if thats good.. 

One thing - the latest design of cats - look to have a very square shaped interiors - it maybe look good and a cheap to make - but this is still boats - so rounded edges is still a smart thing - the foundation is the sea - and it tend to move a lot at times.... 

• Like 1

Pepito,

My advice is a little different perhaps. I would certainly move somewhere close to water, then buy a high performance cat. An A Cat if solo sailing (c board or straight board boat will do) or F18 for 2 up work. You will learn more in 6 months about sailing doing this than pretty much anything else. The important thing is you will quickly learn what not to do with relatively low consequences. I would charter larger boats as much as possible as well, this will let you know what you want and what you don't in your final purchase.

I can't reall speak to the price of the Outremer vs. other boats too much. I'm not aware of much else in this price range with the same performance. I do agree with SeaGul that a Catana may be another good choice. The other boat to consider may be a stretched TS42. Keep in mind the Outremer 45 is really closer to 49'. 

Definitely reach out to Soma, he is the professional in this space.

• Like 1

@pepito_fdez You're getting some great advise here. +100 on all of it. (I'm also a sailing computer geek ;-) and the appeal of a sport with thinking and complexity is very strong. And yes you can work from the boat. I've done it. ). 

My recommendations here are a bit more specific. Learn on a small, second hand boat, so you can scratch it without costing megabucks or taking limb or life. You have a nice lake in Atlanta. Then, I very strongly suggest you charter a boat in the caribbean, say, British Virgin Islands has several cat charter operations. Get a beaten up boat, for a couple of months. With captain initially, then take off the training wheels. 

You can live-and-work-remotely from a place like the caribbean, where the next bay or island is minutes or hours away, or a couple days sail away. There's local internet coverage, you can go ashore for dinner; and if the mood strikes, hop on a ferry/plane and get yourself to a city for two nights. It's a dream of a life.

(I do something very similar, but live on shore in Miami FL, work from my apt with sea view, and I'm 5 minutes away from several sailboats I own or share. Sometimes I charter a catamaran in BVI as above. PM me if you're in the area and could talk boats over a coffee.)

"Crossing the seas" is completely different business, it entails days or weeks of non-stop sailing, no option to stop and take a breather. You could read John Kretschmer's "sailing a serious ocean" for an idea of how this is different; you could join him in a crossing.

• Like 2

I totally understand the desire.  Been there.  If you can't function with normal cell phone data speeds and costs, then you're unlikely to be very happy.  (as someone who has a web-based, SaaS business, well, I know this....)

DO NOT BUY a 50', Million dollar boat as your first boat!!!!!

Why?

1)Note the trend of the advice already rec'd

2)Reality can be different than 'the dream'

3)Experience really counts.  Even just the experience of dealing with boat systems, finding dockage, boat handling, maintenance, costs of that large a boat.

4)Moms like nests. It takes an exceptional woman to live aboard and go sailing with small toddlers. If she can't do it on, say, a Gemini 105, (for the rest of you, Yes, I just pulled that out my ass as a suggested interim 'trainer' for no particular reason) then your odds of success in this department go down.

5) You're talking live aboard, not performance. That does make selection a lot easier.  Even a powerboat is an option  (I didn't just say that did I?) (FYI, fuel for a liveaboard powerboater is a fraction of new sails....just sayin')

6) Keep us posted!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pepito_fdez said:

...One thing to keep in mind is that I don't expect to be sailing 24/7. Living on the boat, yes. Sailing like a pirate, no. I just want the freedom to move whenever I want, wherever I want. I envision it more like sailing to Puerto Rico, stay there as long as I want to, then continue to Jamaica, next island, next island, etc...

Pepito, I think you know:

1.       You can work anywhere you have connectivity;

2.       You want to live in or experience different places; and

3.       You and your family would preferer to move the “thing you live in” rather than move from one dwelling to another.

I don’t think you know:

4.       That you will actually enjoy the voyage from one place to the other; and

5.       That you want to actually sail as opposed to moving your residence by power or by boat delivery service.

6.       That if you really want wind power that for the same budget you would rather a multihull over a monohull.

You should concentrate on items 4-6 in an efficient and effective way – writing a million dollar cheque for a catamaran would seem as wise a trying coding before understanding the use case or user requirements. Find out if you really have a passion for sailing as a way to spend your time and as a mode of transport. If you are lucky enough to not suffer that affliction you can address 1-3 in much more efficient and effective ways.

Myself I’m unfortunately afflicted with an allergy to motor vessels. I like high performance sailing in a vessel that can access shallow waters and provides a good view of the world around me (as opposed to teak cave). The vessels that best meet my requirements fall in the one to three million range. As soon as I include cost in the equation I start to wonder if my requirements are too constraining.

If what you are really after is “movable home” at any price point you might find a motor yacht or monohull better meets your needs.

If you end up with the motor vessel you can also opt for  assorted mechanisms to give you a stable platform at anchor and underway (active fins, gyros, flappers etc.).

A power vessel with reasonable dimensions (83 loa, 16 beam, 5 draft, 11 air draft ) you can include the banks of the canals and rivers of Europe and North America in your travels. (London, Paris, Amsterdam, Vienna, Budapest...).

If you find you really become addicted (afflicted) to high performance sailing you might still find you meet your requirements best with a motor yacht that carries a few UFOs or Nacras on its boat deck.

• Like 1

Yep, you're trying to fly before learning to walk. A suggested order:

1) Books are great and research all you want. There is good thread about suggested books for offshore sailing somewhere fairly recent.

2) Charter a mid 45' cat in the Caribbean with a crew this spring. After the hurricanes the BVI's are maybe not a great destination, but they used to be a great area for beginner sailors. (Charter boats were wrecked in the hundreds so book soon). See how you like to live on a boat and sail. 

3) Take some sailing courses. Florida is good choice. Maybe Colgate  https://www.offshoresailing.com/  Good reputation, been around for years. You don't need a cat specific course yet. Take a beginner sailing course in a smaller boat first. Absolutely. Small boats give you way for 'feel' for how to sail than a bigger boat. These lessons really translate  upward to big boats. Then take a cat specific course.

4) Boat choice - a 50' cat is like a pretty nice apartment. With a very, very big backyard :) Seriously, we always felt more 'cramped' in a marina. At anchor we had a very big playground more readily available.

Used is just like buying a used car; there will be small things that don't work. Buying new is like buying a new Alfa Romeo. Small things won't work either :). Sailboats depreciate in a similar fashion, but not as fast as a car. 

5) Size for family + guests. Around 45' is ample really. You probably won't have as many guests as you think once you are outside the Caribbean if most of your friends are from the U.S.  A 45' cat allows for 4 cabins. One for you & wife, one for each kid, one spare (for your captain if you go that route, at least for a few months). If you have guests aboard, move your 2 kids to one room, leaving 2 cabins spare. Even if you go to a 50' cat, most will still have 4 cabins. Just the nature of the layouts of most cats.

6) budget - always allow $$ for upgrades/repairs to any boat you buy for cruising on full time + $$ for maintenance. As a beginner with lots of cash, it is tempting to rely on outside workers to do your work, but then you don't know how to fix anything and you are at the mercy of somebody who may not be any smarter than you, but has done it five times before. Learn to fix your own boat as much as possible. In some parts of the world there will be nobody competent to fix the boat except you. Get Nigel Calder's books. (diesel + maintenance)

Internet access: should be broken down into "at sea" and "in port". We recently finished an 8 year circumnavigation. My wife is a full time freelance writer and I do engineering/naval architect from the boat so both of has business data needs, though not much. She  used more than me doing internet research on the topics she was writing about.

In port - Mostly we bought a new 3G sim card in each country, tethered from our phones and relied on semi-expensive 3G plans. No streaming youtube videos for entertainment on our $50-100/month data budget. Well, except for AC matches in San Francisco. Speed, useability and costs varied tremendously from country to country. Worst was St Helena, a small island in the South Atlantic where very slow wifi in a few restaurants was $10 per 1/2 hour. French Polynesia was also painful. Fiji was great; good 3G coverage in lots of anchorages and reasonably cheap. You had to learn to live with what you got. Sometimes it would take 2 days after arriving in new country before we got net access. Sometimes it was 1 hour. Will this drive you nuts?

At sea - learn to live with emails/very limited data and you'll be fine. 90% of cruising is NOT at sea, an in your case,  probably a higher % if you stay in one place for a long time. Iridium Go is very useful for emails/9600 baud limited data and low costs. Inmarsat / Fleet Broadband solutions are faster but very costly. More megayacht budget.

Good luck and report back in a few months.

• Like 1

Wow! Guys you're awesome. Thank you so much for taking the time to guide me thru this "dream". I'll try to be short in my answers.

@StumbleNola 3G works for me. My 'remote' work is more about monitoring. Probably a song on YouTube requires more data than 100 reports.

@soma Thank you! 

@SeaGulYes, I read the NEEL thread. It got intense! :D I am not looking for a "floating home". Otherwise I can get one of those at Lake Lanier in GA and fulfill the dream of retirement at sea on water. About the NEEL, I do see a lot of value for the $. NEEL 51 looks pretty slick. I don't know if a trimaran is my thing but never say never. If I had to sacrifice "comfort" for performance, I wouldn't think twice. I still want to have fun.

@samc99us sounds good! Maybe my 'stupid' idea of getting the boat I want right away is influenced by my experience when I bought my motorcycle (Honda CBR1000). Everyone told me to start with a 250cc or I was going to kill myself. I went ahead and got the "beast" and everything went fine. Obviously, that may have been immature at the time. I do now recognize that one thing is a 200 lbs thingy compared to a 8+ tons vessel. Yet, I feel the challenge excites me. :) 

@martin.langhoff I'll reach out to you before I head down to FL. I may come to the boat show as well. Thanks for the advice. Sounds like a good strategy!

@Veeger Yes, I can live with that. 3G really is not bad for monitoring, etc. Not planning on streaming or gaming. None of that. Yes, wife is 'onboard' with the idea (she is more excited than I am to be honest) and obviously there is a lot to 'discover'. My concern with powerboats is that it would be extremely costly for a trip to Europe. Is that a safe assumption? Also, I really like the idea of 'sailing'. I will definitely keep you all posted about this.

@KC375 Thank you! I am a little confused with your post. I want a multihull (not a monohull nor powerboat) :) I do like the analogy of coding before understanding user requirements. Yes, I am passionate about the whole idea for years now.

@Zonker Thank you for such a detailed post. I had already thought about learning boat mechanics for the same reasons. Maybe in America is not a big deal, but some tiny island in the middle of nowhere can turn into a nightmare if no access to skilled technicians. I read somewhere not to buy anything older than 10 years. Preferably within 5. Is that really the case? Also I read to invest as much as possible in nav equipments, etc. 

Again, thank you everyone for your time and knowledge. 

Some more on data. 

One of the AWS VPs is living on a Nordhaven with wife (IIRC working for MS) and cat since ~2011, moving around the world since 2012. No high bandwidth connectivity at any time in any place is simply not an option with the job.
They use the same setup as Zonker described with some additions. A KVH plan ($$$/GB) for use at sea and if needed also at shore. A BGAN system ($$$$/GB) as backup and for additional geographical coverage, Iridium is too slow and a last resort if all else breaks.

They write a lot about the technical parts of their journey. Including the above. AFAIK an update to the articles linked below is in the works. The latest KVH is shiny, 10Mbit down 3Mbit up and new an unmetered 128kbit channel. Still expensive though. Being on the software side they rewrote their WRT router firmware to add data metering and capping for all connectivity methods. They use Wifi and 3G/4G connections when possible to keep the cost reasonable.

Blog, data article

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pepito_fdez said:

$. NEEL 51 looks pretty slick. I don't know if a trimaran is my thing but never say never. If I had to sacrifice "comfort" for performance, I wouldn't think twice. I still want to have fun.

@samc99us sounds good! Maybe my 'stupid' idea of getting the boat I want right away is influenced by my experience when I bought my motorcycle (Honda CBR1000). Everyone told me to start with a 250cc or I was going to kill myself. I went ahead and got the "beast" and everything went fine. Obviously, that may have been immature at the time. I do now recognize that one thing is a 200 lbs thingy compared to a 8+ tons vessel. Yet, I feel the challenge excites me. :) 

@martin.langhoff

Again, thank you everyone for your time and knowledge. 

Thing is - a big boat 40-50ft is not that hard to handle - tings happend slowly - so using sense - it can be done. But "want to have fun" - a liveaboard - is not really that fun to sail anyway - compared to - really fast boats. But you talk back Outremer again I think. Ref. also the bike - 1000 or 250 - its easy to get hurt on both - your risk management in your head is the main thing - not if the bike can make 180 or 280 (km/h).

Both sailing and biking; to do regattas/trackdays give you fast learning you never get on a cruise sail or a road-trip - and the fun-factor is rocket high.

• Like 1

SeaGuls suggestion of doing regattas is a good one. I would take that a step further and see if you can jump on with an existing crew this winter in the Caribbean. Offer to help deliver the boat for free. I'm sure someone in this forum has a good contact for you.

• Like 1

Pepito, have you met many of the multihull fleet members at Lake Lanier Sailing Club?  First, there are F18s, A-Class, and other small boats that would give you very good experience.  Would be well worth buying a starter model.  Second, a few folks there have done some cruising on large cats and might be able to help.  Third, while there aren't any cruising cats at the club, there are some tri's.  

Another nice first step would be to purchase a keelboat at Lake Lanier to start to get a feel for systems, large boat handling, etc.  An older boat is not expensive, the club has Wi-Fi that you likely could reach at anchor, and you could do a very low scale simulation of what you are envisioning.  

• Like 1

@Lost in Translation That's actually a good idea. I don't see myself living at Lake Lanier to be truly honest, but I will find out about classes of other experiences I can enjoy there. I actually had planned to simply move to Clearwater Beach or Ft. Lauderdale to an actual boat (maybe rent it) and simply try it for 6 months or so and get a feeling what life is about aboard. Of course, after all of these great advice, I am formulating a new strategy. Thanks!

@samc99us Is there a reputable website I can search about these regattas? I'll search in this forum for more info. Thanks!!! 

@SeaGul When I say "have fun" is that I still want a sailing boat that can cruise at a descent speed, some performance, etc. Obviously I am not planning on buying a Rapido 60 -if I were single thou.... :). About the motorcycle... yes, you are absolutely right, it's all about keeping the "stupidmeter" at the right levels. I am not going to lie, the first month was scary because that "thing" would pop a wheely in 5th gear. Six months later it just felt like an extension of my body.

Can't exhaust enough how grateful I am for all your messages! Thank you!

i friend, who is also a software programmer, moved with his wife and two kids (5 and 3 y.o.) to a 47' cat 1.5 years ago.

they had very little sailing experience, so still on the learning process.

https://www.facebook.com/catguina/  (unfortunately only in portuguese)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pepito_fdez said:

@Trovão I saw it. That's awesome. I started to follow him. What kind of boat is the one in the pictures? Doesn't seem so big for a '47. 

It's a Brazilian made Praia 47. Check the website http://www.navmar.com.br/navmar/praia47.asp again, only in Portuguese, unfortunately.

• Like 1

If you want to track the path of a young couple who decided to jump aboard a catamaran and start cruising, check out Gone with the Wynns. They are a tech-savvy duo who make high quality videos chronicling their adventures researching, buying, refitting and learning to sail their boat. They spend a substantial amount of time discussing their tech budget and realities in the Caribbean. They are now transiting the Panama Canal with a few crew. They have a couple years' worth of vids you can pick from at that site. 

I found them when I was gearing up for renting an RV and going through the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone... their first set of vids deals with traveling the states by RV, working all the while on tech jobs. They are an engaging couple, very bright and levelheaded, good tempo and information in the vids. They are honest about fears, mistakes, successes and surprises. 

Wealth is having choices. WTG!!

• Like 1

I would definitely recommend the charter route as well. For a couple of reasons ........... 

Is this something you actaully enjoy (all of you)?

Charter different cats so you can find out your likes and dislikes and what are essential features on the boat

What sort of sailing performance you will require.

You will then probably find (like I did) that the vast majority of production cats get taken off the list for a liveaboard scenario ...... then back to the drawing board to match your requirements for a range of cats and then overlay the budget (for purchase and maintenance costs - work on approx 10 to 15% of purchase price in annual maintenance and insurance and running costs) 

What configuration you require - like a 4 cabin with four heads, or four cabin 2 heads or three cabin three heads (ie owner version set up) etc.

Start reading and researching (like you have done on this forum)  ........ This is all really fun stuff ...... if you dont enjoy this ....... then this movie is probably not for you!

Good luck

• Like 1

On 1/1/2018 at 5:01 PM, soma said:

Feel free to PM me for help. It's a big topic. There are lots of good boats if a Gunboat isn't in the budget. 

I tried, but it wouldn't let me pm you. Is there a reason for this?

7 hours ago, dcnblues said:

I tried, but it wouldn't let me pm you. Is there a reason for this?

his inbox is probably full

On 1/4/2018 at 6:31 PM, pepito_fdez said:

...About the motorcycle... yes, you are absolutely right, it's all about keeping the "stupidmeter" at the right levels. I am not going to lie, the first month was scary because that "thing" would pop a wheely in 5th gear. Six months later it just felt like an extension of my body.

Did you ever do a track school / day? Highly recommended as you essentially get 10 years experience, expert coaching, and knowledge that can (and probably will) save your life in one day for a few hundred bucks. You may still need it, and your motorcycle experience may be one of missing out on some basic skills and basic attitudes that are essential on the track (and riding in traffic). It's possible these omissions haven't bit you in the ass due simply to good luck so far. 

The equivalent in sailing is the Ocean. Were I you, I'd budget (with money but also TIME) for good foul weather gear, and a good blue water sailing instruction program. And I'd buy and read at least a couple of books on storm sailing. The world we're looking at in the future is not one where traditional stable weather patterns will hold, it's one where surprises are going to hit anyone, whether on sea or land. If you don't know the benefits of a PFD that's also a harness, if you don't understand the uses of sea anchors or drogues or the bridles they attach to on the boat, etc, you may find yourself someday wishing you did. Do it for your own peace of mind. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2018 at 11:07 AM, dcnblues said:

Did you ever do a track school / day? Highly recommended as you essentially get 10 years experience, expert coaching, and knowledge that can (and probably will) save your life in one day for a few hundred bucks. You may still need it, and your motorcycle experience may be one of missing out on some basic skills and basic attitudes that are essential on the track (and riding in traffic). It's possible these omissions haven't bit you in the ass due simply to good luck so far. 

@dcnblues I did actually do it a couple of times. I found the biggest assholes in those track days so that was it for me. If I am going to fall, I rather fall due to my inexperience than thanks to some redneck trying to hard to be James Bond and cornering too hard on people making them fall. 

@phillysailor Thank you so much for that link! Awesome. 

@Lambretta Yes, that's already in the planning :) 

I got my tickets for the Miami International Boat Show. If anyone in the group is attending and want to meet, just drop me a message privately.

First off get into a really cold shower and start ripping up one thousand dollar bills, welcome

to the heartbreak of yachting. after that just go sailing on anything, preferably multihulls. My

personal taste is smaller tris have an order in for F22. built a Buccaneer 33 and a Tremolino.

Chartering a larger cat is great idea..did a couple with friend in BVIs..great time. good luck..doug

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ancientseawolf said:

The Bumfuzzles bought a cat and sailed around the world.  You obviously don't need anything more than good luck.

@ancientseawolf Had a lot of fun reading some of their articles. This one is pretty eye opening... https://www.bumfuzzle.com/septemberoctober-2003/

Thanks