• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
ricwoz

NACRA - finally!

It took me over a year of working on this article and four attempts at submitting it to finally have it accepted by the "New Articles" editors at Wikipedia.   It was a little frustrating at first, but in truth they were trying to keep the quality of Wikipedia up, which is a good thing.   And, I'm not perfect, many of their suggestions were good ones.    Anway, now it's here,  so everyone who is knowledgeable on the topic can help improve it from here on out: 

NACRA (sailing) article in WIkipedia (English) 

You left out the 14 square and 16 square.  Despite growing up in the hobie scene the 14 was my dream boat when I was looking to buy my first boat.

Feel free to add them.   The NACRA offerings down under were a little different from ours up top, so I'm not familiar with those. 
I'm sure there are many additions that could be made to this, but I feel it's a good effort.   The editors were big on references, and I'm pretty proud of how many I found including a couple from the New York Times, which helped get the article over the final hurdle "notability". 

I modeled it on the Hobie Cat article, which (as the editors pointed out) isn't an excuse for anything.   The Hobie article really could use some help, too. 

Thanks for your effort, Nacra 5.8 definitely current, we are having the Nacra Nationals in Freemantle Western Australia at the moment, whilst we only have 8 here this year due to most of the 5.8's being based on the East coast, when we have the Nationals on the East coast we get more than twenty Nacra 5.8's on the start line, there is a brand new 5.8 competing here at the moment, with two built last year so the fleet is still expanding, albeit slowly. If you are on Facebook, look up "Nacra Australia" for current news on these National titles if you want more info and pictures

That's great to know.  I owned a Nacra 5.2 throughout much of the 1990s and the 5.8 was the boat I aspired to upgrading to at the time.  Prindle also had the 19 at that time, and were (I think) still a separate company.   I've sailed on the 5.8 and it's a fantastic boat, for sure. 

I'm surprised that Nacra Australia still makes them, that's what I mean about things being different down there.   The rest of the world are supplied by the folks in the Netherlands, and I am pretty sure they don't still make new 5.8's.   The Infusion Mk. II for the F-18 class is pretty much the boat of that size we get in North America. 

Thanks for the Facebook suggestion, I'll follow up on that. 

nacra58.jpeg

5 hours ago, madboutcats said:

... we are having the Nacra Nationals in Freemantle Western Australia at the moment ...

Video from day 1.

What a lovely place to sail and a really fantastic video.  The first time I looked I thought your post was a still picture. 
  The videography (via drone I assume) is really nice, and the music is a nice touch.   

Thanks for posting. 

Well done ricwoz! Thank you for putting in the effort. Have you contacted Nacra Sailing and Nacra Australasia? I guess they have a lot of historical as well as current info available.

I hope to be able to contribute to the article in some way in the near future.

On 2018-01-01 at 11:29 PM, madboutcats said:

Thanks for your effort, Nacra 5.8 definitely current, we are having the Nacra Nationals in Freemantle Western Australia at the moment, whilst we only have 8 here this year due to most of the 5.8's being based on the East coast, when we have the Nationals on the East coast we get more than twenty Nacra 5.8's on the start line, there is a brand new 5.8 competing here at the moment, with two built last year so the fleet is still expanding, albeit slowly. If you are on Facebook, look up "Nacra Australia" for current news on these National titles if you want more info and pictures

Hi,

You seem to be the 5.8 guru here. I sail an old 5.5 but might get the opportunity to lay my hands on a pair of 5.8 hulls soon. The 5.5 has 215 cm c/c distance, main beam to rear beam. Is it the same for 5.8 or is it more? 

Hardly a guru, just full of yap, actually place low at the Nationals but hold my own at the bar, just measured mine 221 between beams centre to centre and about 244 across, I've never seen a 5.5 do you have centre boards

5 hours ago, madboutcats said:

Hardly a guru, just full of yap, actually place low at the Nationals but hold my own at the bar, just measured mine 221 between beams centre to centre and about 244 across, I've never seen a 5.5 do you have centre boards

Thanks, enough guru for me ;-) . 5.5 is a foot shorter and boomless but looks very much like a 5.8. I am actually modernizing it with F18 rig and daggerboards, when I got the 5.8 hull offer. Question is if the 5.5 beams will fit the 5.8 hulls directly.

55.jpeg

wide.JPG

Easy way to answer is I reckon the beams are 100 mm but would guess the 5.8 hulls will be wider so may need some different holes in the beam

I got 102mm, but I also suspect Nacra only ever used the one section, so it is doubtful there would be a mis-match.

Depending upon how the beams are mounted on the 5.5 you may be OK with no additional holes. The straps may be a tiny bit closer, but the critical holes are those at the ends of the beams.

Nacra_5-8_front_beam.jpg

Actually it is 4"=101.6mm on my 5.5, but I have another set of Nacra beams that are 100mm. Might have to do with, if they are made in Europe or elsewhere. Will anyway add strips of 0.8mm aluminium sheets to fill up with. Noticed the fifth bolt is bolted from the top of the beam as the 5.5 is bolted from inside through an aluminum casting. I guess there is a casting inside the 5.8 too, but from top to bottom of the beam? The beam in the image is for some reason without the 2mm sleeve inside. 

5-1.jpg

The rear beams on our 5.8 are mounted as in your pic - the front beams have another short extrusion inserted (a sort of I beam) that runs top to bottom and takes the compression from the bolt you see on the outside. From memory it also takes some of the load from the dolphin striker as well. OTOH, this is an Oz built 5.8, and the construction of these has changed a bit over the years in little details. None of this may matter for you.

Nacra_5-8_Dolphin_striker.jpg

Thanks for the pic Francis, on the inside it is exactly the same  style. As I will use a stainless 400x3mm striker band I will copy  Nacra Infusion with a ss plate with welded bolts from the inside.

About adopting the 5.5 beams on the 5.8 hulls I see no problem at all. 

I have to correct my measuring mistakes. Remeasured both beam diameter and distance yesterday:

The fresh 5.5 beams with sleeves on the inside was 101.6mm.

The semi useless 18SQ beams without sleeves on the inside where 100.2 - 100.4mm. So it seems they have been compressed at the ends.

So all Nacras use 101.6mm beams, period!

My caliper measured the new 100x3 tubes to 99,9mm.

Tried to add 1.00mm alusheets I had lying around to fill up with, but the tubes didt´t bottom. Tight tolerance! So I will buy 0.7mm sheets with 0.1mm for glue to get it right.

I was also wrong about the beam distance, it is 221cm, exactly as the 5.8.

On 11/01/2018 at 12:15 AM, Francis Vaughan said:

The rear beams on our 5.8 are mounted as in your pic - the front beams have another short extrusion inserted (a sort of I beam) that runs top to bottom and takes the compression from the bolt you see on the outside. From memory it also takes some of the load from the dolphin striker as well. OTOH, this is an Oz built 5.8, and the construction of these has changed a bit over the years in little details. None of this may matter for you.

Nacra_5-8_Dolphin_striker.jpg

G'day Francis, looks like amongst other boats we will have 6 Nacra 5.8's at Robe this weekend coming up 20th 21st, three triangular course races on Saturday, then a mid distance race around Guichen Bay shaped like a Union Jack with end plates that covers every wind direction. Your welcome to join in

3 hours ago, madboutcats said:

G'day Francis, looks like amongst other boats we will have 6 Nacra 5.8's at Robe this weekend coming up 20th 21st, three triangular course races on Saturday, then a mid distance race around Guichen Bay shaped like a Union Jack with end plates that covers every wind direction. Your welcome to join in

That sounds pretty tempting, but sadly I doubt we will be down. Club championship races this weekend, and we are not yet out of contention for a podium. 

7 hours ago, Francis Vaughan said:

That sounds pretty tempting, but sadly I doubt we will be down. Club championship races this weekend, and we are not yet out of contention for a podium. 

Good reason, hope to see you at the Milang to Goolwa the following week, nothing like weaving through 200 boats to get the blood going

I've only seen the 18 squares sail as single handed boats.  I've never read anything that suggests they've ever been a 2 person boat. The wiki says the race crew is 2.