Roleur

Southern Straits & Swiftsure Double-Handed!!!

Hey,

If we get 5 boats we can have a DH division for Southern Straits and Swiftsure.  Can we get 5 boats?  We'll be bringing our J/120 for the SS Medium Course and Cape Flattery Race.  It's my view that trying to assemble a big crew for a big race is one of the biggest obstacles to getting out on the race course.  There are over 100 boats in Race to Straits, surely 5 of those would like to go DH for these races too???

6 minutes ago, shaggyq said:

Going dh in straits so that’s 2

What kind of boat?

Just now, ASP said:

There’s an express 37 that normally does Straits DH

Kahuna?

4 minutes ago, Roleur said:

Kahuna?

Manana? Kahuna is an Aerodyne 38 now.

What you really have to do is bring the 120 or little boat down for Race to the Straits!

1 minute ago, ASP said:

Manana? Kahuna is an Aerodyne 38 now.

Didn't the A38 Kahuna owners have an E37 name Kahuna before?  It races out of Vancouver now.  Pretty I got that story right.  Raced against the E37 in the singlehanded race up there 2 years ago.

1 minute ago, ASP said:

What you really have to do is bring the 120 or little boat down for Race to the Straits!

For sure.  Not sure which boat.  Probably the 120.  Much easier to deliver and sleep on.  

1 minute ago, Roleur said:

Didn't the A38 Kahuna owners have an E37 name Kahuna before?  It races out of Vancouver now.  Pretty I got that story right.  Raced against the E37 in the singlehanded race up there 2 years ago.

Kahuna was an Olson 30-Express 37-1D35- and now Aerodyne.

Not sure where the express ended up. Could be Manana? I know it’s one of the few with a wheel instead of tiller.

1 minute ago, ASP said:

Kahuna was an Olson 30-Express 37-1D35- and now Aerodyne.

Not sure where the express ended up. Could be Manana? I know it’s one of the few with a wheel instead of tiller.

It is Manana.  Guess I had most of the story right, but not the name change.  Looks like they raced DH in 2016, but not 2017.  Here's hoping. 

The J30 Natural High usually races Straits double handed, Manananananananan (Ex Kahuna) also does, but he seems to be off of Straits these days. I suspect the Safety at Sea requirements have something to do with his lack of interest.

I'll be up there on the other OI J120. The dumptruck would welcome more 120's in the crewed fleet if you decide to go that way :)

Manana (ex-Kahuna) will not be out.  Both of our Safety at Sea certs expired last year so Trev spent the money on a hotel reservation somewhere warm instead.

I might bring out the Schock but it is a terrible DH boat so I will bring crew.

21 hours ago, shaggyq said:

Going dh in straits so that’s 2

DILLIGAF makes three.

So a Pogo 30, Ross 930, and J/120 so far for Straits. Looks there were 5 DH’s in 2016. Who else?

Did you get Spadefoot put back together? And moved to Orcas from Texas?

Cheers, Greg

Greg, 

Yes and yes. Took Spadefoot for a sail over weekend. 36 degrees and sunny. Nice to get out and get her tuned up again. 

We skipped the New Year's race here in Hampton, VA - it was 22 deg F and 18 gusting to 25...too effing cold! 36 isn't much better.

We'll be getting Diablo ready for the 2019 1-2 this year, you going to try it again with Spadefoot?

Happy New Year, Greg

Hope to see Diablo on the start line in 2019.  I will definitely not bring Spadefoot back to the East Coast.  B1-2 is too perfect of a race for a J/120 and sadly a RT trip coast to coast truck ride for a J/120 would cost less than I spent recovering Spadefoot, so...   That said, I really want to do SHTP more than another attempt at B1-2 and logistically that is now much easier.  Trouble is, stepping into a liferaft and abandoning a boat, surprisingly does not inspire the wife, when I bring up future solo endeavours.  But she'll still race with me to Hawaii, so can I complain?  

On 1/3/2018 at 7:30 PM, Roleur said:

Greg, 

Yes and yes. Took Spadefoot for a sail over weekend. 36 degrees and sunny. Nice to get out and get her tuned up again. 

Missed you guys at RTC. On the entry list and no show, what happened?

Just now, ASP said:

Missed you guys at RTC. On the entry list and no show, what happened?

We got the boat in the water from Betts on Tuesday before the race after fixing the way the keel is secured.  Spent the next days trying to get everything ready then headed out from West Sound to Rosario Friday night because we live (temporarily) 200' from Rosario.  Outboard died after I passed the ferry dock.  Took 1.5 hours to drift back to the ferry dock and then go borrow another outboard.  It was about 10pm and the list was still very long for things that we needed to do before the start, so we had to bail.  Very bummed about that.  The thing was, we didn't pack up the boat in Bermuda.  Someone else did.  I just found the anchor rode this past weekend!  And it wasn't on the boat when headed for Rosario.  I think they used the anchor rodes as tow ropes back to Bermuda.  

Can't say 2017 was the best year of sailing.  2018 seems to be starting off alright.  Excited to do more racing on Shearwater.  Oh, I remembered we'll be racing Shearwater for RTTS.  Logistics are so much easier to deliver the boat and sleep on it before, during, and after.  

Looking forward to Winter Shaw in February on Spadefoot.  Southern Straits will be our first race of year on Shearwater.  

37 minutes ago, Roleur said:

We got the boat in the water from Betts on Tuesday before the race after fixing the way the keel is secured.  Spent the next days trying to get everything ready then headed out from West Sound to Rosario Friday night because we live (temporarily) 200' from Rosario.  Outboard died after I passed the ferry dock.  Took 1.5 hours to drift back to the ferry dock and then go borrow another outboard.  It was about 10pm and the list was still very long for things that we needed to do before the start, so we had to bail.  Very bummed about that.  The thing was, we didn't pack up the boat in Bermuda.  Someone else did.  I just found the anchor rode this past weekend!  And it wasn't on the boat when headed for Rosario.  I think they used the anchor rodes as tow ropes back to Bermuda.  

Can't say 2017 was the best year of sailing.  2018 seems to be starting off alright.  Excited to do more racing on Shearwater.  Oh, I remembered we'll be racing Shearwater for RTTS.  Logistics are so much easier to deliver the boat and sleep on it before, during, and after.  

Looking forward to Winter Shaw in February on Spadefoot.  Southern Straits will be our first race of year on Shearwater.  

There a date for shaw yet? Give me a holler if you need an extra body. 

2 hours ago, Roleur said:

Hope to see Diablo on the start line in 2019.  I will definitely not bring Spadefoot back to the East Coast.  B1-2 is too perfect of a race for a J/120 and sadly a RT trip coast to coast truck ride for a J/120 would cost less than I spent recovering Spadefoot, so...   That said, I really want to do SHTP more than another attempt at B1-2 and logistically that is now much easier.  Trouble is, stepping into a liferaft and abandoning a boat, surprisingly does not inspire the wife, when I bring up future solo endeavours.  But she'll still race with me to Hawaii, so can I complain?  

No you can't complain and I can appreciate her concerns. So, Betts did the repairs to Spadefoot? They're a great shop and will probably build the one piece rudder to replace the cassette one as required by the 1-2 committee. Betts built one for Andrews 28 Hull #2 while they were prepping it for the 2014 Pac Cup, but you know that story. Anyway, hope you have a great time racing your fleet.

Cheers, Greg