• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Ed Lada

Another Interesting Home Built Steel Boat

On 2018-01-06 at 2:27 PM, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Couple friends of mine built a custom Ed Burnett carvel planked double ender. Really great work on a gorgeously shaped hull. Not my cup of tea at all, I like metal boats myself, but I appreciate fine work regardless of the medium.

I'm afraid that I have no respect for this man though. There are a lot of books out there, there are a lot of proven free designs, licenses and supported designs are dirt cheap compared to the actual building cost. If you want to build a boat, it's the height of arrogance and (misplaced) certainty in your own abilities to just start hacking materials together as you go and then using a bigger hammer to make the edges fit without even attempting to do ANY research before you start.

FKT

Absolutely - I have a house, one of whose previous owners decided he/she knew how to renovate.  Awful work!

I do not understand someone with zero experience who thinks they can (or who wants) to design and build a boat...when there are so many good boats out there.  And if you have the money, hire a designer/builder.  But the DIY spirit dies hard ) sometimes kills the creation :-) )

I like how there is no cockpit. Once the back is on it will be decided if he lives in the boat or on the boat. I guess there will be no way in or out the boat. Maybe a hammer.

I was thinking about Zeyang when I was writing about Boatbuilder Gustav above. Sailing the Farm was a great project not least because it got done and went sailing but a lot of (young women) learned some great skills in machining and fabricating.  The continued involvement of sane women in projects clearly correlates with, and maybe in some cases causes, project success. 

On 07/01/2018 at 7:03 PM, soak_ed said:

I am in favor of freedom of stupidity over a nanny state.  Besides, stupid can help thin the gene pool.  Always look on the bright side mate!  

always. definately.

This thing looks like a Disney Land ride.  Maybe that’s the plan from the jump?  

Prolly then just wanted to see how much blubbering he could start on SA for laughs.

Guy at workshop is installing an “Autonymous Drive” unit on his top-fuel dragtster.  The big tire,  200+ mph long sled with big fat rear tires.  Shits/giggles time with that one.

On 1/3/2018 at 4:53 PM, Panope said:

From his video dated Dec 31, 2017:

"So far I've spent about 800 hours.  If I spent twice that amount of time, I could make a really beautiful boat"

"I hope to cruise for about 5 years.  See the world".

Too bad he didn't look into getting good plans. He could have had a thing of beauty in 800 hours...

8 hours ago, fastyacht said:

Too bad he didn't look into getting good plans. He could have had a thing of beauty in 800 hours...

I gather he could’ve had a veritable fleet of bent-stained mudflappers built!