Ed Lada

Another Interesting Home Built Steel Boat

I bet his mom will be sooo proud of his woodwork.

It will need more than 1 fridge magnet though.

Thread title needs to be changed to:  .... Another Interesting Home Built Wood (with steel skin) Boat.

Steve

That tiny little bench saw is working pretty hard turning 2X4's into garbage.

• Like 2

Using a small bench saw to do a bandsaw's job.

Kind of appropriate under the circumstances.

It might float after all with all that kiln dried dugfir!

I’m wondering why he didn’t just buy a shipping container and bash the corners in a bit. 

• Like 7

It would be a lot easier if he built the wooden frame first  and sheat it with steel later. 

Pine frames mounted to steel with aluminum tabs.   Build time may exceed hull life expectancy, even if the bottom doesn’t fall off.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lark said:

Pine frames mounted to steel with aluminum tabs.   Build time may exceed hull life expectancy, even if the bottom doesn’t fall off.   

It'll be fine as long as it never gets wet. Oh wait...

This guy makes Brent Swain look like he's building Wallys

• Like 1

I stopped watching. It's obvious he isn't going to improve.

Someone post if/when that excrescence gets vaguely near being launched in some body of water more than 50mm deep and I'll buy a 6-pack & snacks.

FKT

10 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

I stopped watching. It's obvious he isn't going to improve.

Someone post if/when that excrescence gets vaguely near being launched in some body of water more than 50mm deep and I'll buy a 6-pack & snacks.

FKT

It’s morbidly entertaining to watch, getting progressively worst when you really can’t believe it can. 

• Like 1

It is fractally fucked, any little sub bit is fucked in a manner similar to the whole.  I hope he puts the air cooled VW engine in.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, sculpin said:

It is fractally fucked, any little sub bit is fucked in a manner similar to the whole.  I hope he puts the air cooled VW engine in.

He'll come up with some method of running 8 lawnmower engines on one or more drive shafts.

That fractal mistake will never see the water.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sculpin said:

“Fractally fucked”. Thank you! 

22 hours ago, Ishmael said:

He'll come up with some method of running 8 lawnmower engines on one or more drive shafts.

That fractal mistake will never see the water.

He won’t quit.   He’s already committed a huge number of man hours and massive effort.   He’s not the guy that started remodeling the bathroom 10 years ago, and even has new fixtures in the basement waiting,    He’s attempting to fix the structural problems, replacing the standing headroom with the fir floors.   Sure he insists on reinventing the wheel.   He not only refuses to buy bearings, but is unwilling to actually look at a working hub.   I think he will launch.   It will float.  Performance will be poor, visibility will be by Braille, stability will resemble a dinghy without its crew.   The bottom won’t fall off because he will only sail it twice in light wind before moving on to his rocket plane project.   One calm spring morning the boat will see its reflection on the still surface, and sink itself.   All eight lawn mower engines will be lost.

On 3/12/2018 at 8:54 AM, mad said:

It’s morbidly entertaining to watch, getting progressively worst when you really can’t believe it can. 

Well, I have 35 years boatbuilding experience, and I enjoy watching this project simply because I have absolutely no fucking idea what he is doing.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, dorydude said:

Well, I have 35 years boatbuilding experience, and I enjoy watching this project simply because I have absolutely no fucking idea what he is doing.

That makes three of us. You, me, him. Next step will be to carvel plank it inside the steel shell.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

That makes three of us. You, me, him. Next step will be to carvel plank it inside the steel shell.

That makes as much sense as anything else he has done so far. Do you reckon he will caulk it or spline it?

" I have absolutely no fucking idea what he is doing"

Neither does he - he is making it up as he goes. We've all been there, but honestly there are enough steel boat building videos to get him over the worst of a proper build.

I bet he NEVER looks at road maps either.

20 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Ceiling haha

On 3/13/2018 at 12:24 AM, dorydude said:

It is like watching a train wreck in super-super-slo-mo.

15 minutes ago, monsoon said:

It is like watching a train wreck in super-super-slo-mo.

...As the train itself is being built.

• Like 1

Doug hits 100k subscribers on YouTube.   It's been cool watching this project & all the skill people he's drawn to Tulsa, OK.   Wild ride.

Towards the end of this video he throws out some builders on YTube which he's following.  Good stuff.  And, like he says (note to myself) - don't get hooked on watching the videos - get out in the shop and get building.

On March 8, 2018 at 7:13 PM, Lark said:

Holy shit. 

I  imagine organising the launch day at the Marina.

"Yessir - the wharf will be available for the crane that day .. can you just give me your Insurance Cover Note Number and Insurance Company. of the 10 $Million Public Liability Cover"

".........???"

3 hours ago, mad said:

My God. I watched the first few of his videos and couldn't take it anymore, even to the point of not even reading this thread. I just watched the above and can't believe my eyes. Question: How many ways can one person be wrong? Answer: all of them. Incredible. I guess the only silver lining is that there's only one person's life at risk should this thing ever see the water. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mad said:

Very scary.

I haven't watched all his videos so not sure of his plans for an engine.

He hasn't put in anything that even remotely looks like engine beds , and doesn't appear to have room under the pilot house floor.

The guy builds a steel hull. Because even HE realizes it's woefully badly 'engineered', he then builds a wooden hull inside of it. With crappy wood, also woefully badly 'engineered'.  I think he's going to go for the trifecta, and fiberglass the interior of the wood hull. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RKoch said:

The guy builds a steel hull. Because even HE realizes it's woefully badly 'engineered', he then builds a wooden hull inside of it. With crappy wood, also woefully badly 'engineered'.  I think he's going to go for the trifecta, and fiberglass the interior of the wood hull. 

My money's on concrete.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, IStream said:

My money's on concrete.

That'll be poured in the bottom, between the steel and wood, after he figures out he has nowhere near enough stability.

8 hours ago, IStream said:

My God. I watched the first few of his videos and couldn't take it anymore, even to the point of not even reading this thread. I just watched the above and can't believe my eyes. Question: How many ways can one person be wrong? Answer: all of them. Incredible. I guess the only silver lining is that there's only one person's life at risk should this thing ever see the water. 

I stopped watching. Simply too painful.

FKT

A wood framed steel boat? Well, a boat shaped object anyway.

Held together with deck screws?

This could well be the single most incompetent boat building project I've ever seen.

And that's saying a LOT.

That so-called framing wouldn't even make it as backbone station frames for a cored glass boat.

A true Dunning-Kruger boatbuilder.

1 hour ago, dorydude said:

Very scary.

I haven't watched all his videos so not sure of his plans for an engine.

He hasn't put in anything that even remotely looks like engine beds , and doesn't appear to have room under the pilot house floor.

You need to take a look at the keel build!

36 minutes ago, mad said:

You need to take a look at the keel build!

Nobody needs that kind of abuse.

In the beginning I was slightly bemused.  Then it progressed and the highpoint was the keel build, or so I though.  When he first started inside with the wood, I thought it was to hold interior panels or something.  Then I though, he can't possibly be building a wood frame to support the hull.  To my horror he was. ,After watching this episode, words fail me.  We built better 'club houses' from the scrap wood pile and bent nails, when I was a kid FFS.   I think the saving grace will be when he launches it, if it survives being trailered to the launch area, the franken boat will go straight to the bottom after it turns turtle because I am pretty sure the keel won't last any longer on that 'thing", (I just can't bear to call it a boat) than any of my three wives did with me.  It stated out mildly amusing but now it's just a depressing horror show.   If I remember correctly, he intends to fasten the scrap iron, and junk filled keel to the thing when he gets to the launching area.   This guy makes Hot Rod look like he almost knew what he was doing.  And the Flyin' Hawaiin' almost looked boat-like if you squinted a bit.  This thing is going to look like an old refrigerator that somebody had rolled down a long, steep, rocky, hill.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

that 'thing", (I just can't bear to call it a boat)

A boat shaped object.

And you're right - the tree house a friend and I built at age 12 was much better constructed.

This guy 's approach to life reminds me of the "Mosquito Coast" movie (Harrison Ford)

• Like 1

Next he's going to stucco the hull, inside and out. Concrete goes in the basement.

I think he needs some kevlar and epoxy, but I'm not sure where.

3 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Nobody needs that kind of abuse.

In the beginning I was slightly bemused.  Then it progressed and the highpoint was the keel build, or so I though.  When he first started inside with the wood, I thought it was to hold interior panels or something.  Then I though, he can't possibly be building a wood frame to support the hull.  To my horror he was. ,After watching this episode, words fail me.  We built better 'club houses' from the scrap wood pile and bent nails, when I was a kid FFS.   I think the saving grace will be when he launches it, if it survives being trailered to the launch area, the franken boat will go straight to the bottom after it turns turtle because I am pretty sure the keel won't last any longer on that 'thing", (I just can't bear to call it a boat) than any of my three wives did with me.  It stated out mildly amusing but now it's just a depressing horror show.   If I remember correctly, he intends to fasten the scrap iron, and junk filled keel to the thing when he gets to the launching area.   This guy makes Hot Rod look like he almost knew what he was doing.  And the Flyin' Hawaiin' almost looked boat-like if you squinted a bit.  This thing is going to look like an old refrigerator that somebody had rolled down a long, steep, rocky, hill.

The enablers on youtube is what it is all about for him. He ignores any and all constructive criticism.

40 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

The enablers on youtube is what it is all about for him. He ignores any and all constructive criticism.

At his stage of Dunning-Kruger, there is no such thing as constructive criticism.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

Next he's going to stucco the hull, inside and out. Concrete goes in the basement.

I think he needs some kevlar and epoxy, but I'm not sure where.

He needs some carbon fiber to lighten it up.

• Like 1

That vid... yeeesh.  I find myself imagining the creaks and groans of all those 500 pieces of wood working away as the boat twists in a seaway. And all those 1000 screws unscrewing themselves as then wear bigger and bigger holes in the wood.

It amazes me that someone can be THAT oblivious.

I have a great idea. I'm going to start a series of videos on how to build an F-35 out of popsicle sticks, and save a fortune.

150.000 years from now they'll be digging up the remains of the thing & wonder...

10 minutes ago, tane said:

150.000 years from now they'll be digging up the remains of the thing & wonder...

No they won't. Within 100 years there won't be a single piece bigger than your hand.

56 minutes ago, monsoon said:

That vid... yeeesh.  I find myself imagining the creaks and groans of all those 500 pieces of wood working away as the boat twists in a seaway. And all those 1000 screws unscrewing themselves as then wear bigger and bigger holes in the wood.

It amazes me that someone can be THAT oblivious.

the chances of this thing making it to  a"seaway" approach zero.

1 hour ago, chester said:

I'm inclined to agree. Trucking the POS to a launch site is going to cost a bundle. And I suspect that whatever yard he trucks it to, will take one look at it and tell him to GTFO. It would seriously fuck up a yards operation and schedule if it capsized or sank at the dock. 

14 hours ago, plenamar said:

This guy 's approach to life reminds me of the "Mosquito Coast" movie (Harrison Ford)

"It's Perfection, that's what it is!"

On 4/24/2018 at 2:37 PM, RKoch said:

He isn't going to name the boat Flyin Hawian is he?:ph34r:

11 hours ago, chester said:

Oh sure, steal my dream.

6 hours ago, Windward said:

perhaps youtube royalties was the primary goal?

Aha -so THATS it.  We are doing him out of dosh by chatting here.

When I do the popsicle stick jet fighter, I'll split the revenue amongst the thousands of viewers.

Its the Flat Earthers all over again.

7 hours ago, Windward said:

perhaps youtube royalties was the primary goal?

I doubt if he has enough subscribers or views to get paid anything. YouTube changed the rules a while back, you need X amount of subscribers and X amount of total views on your channel before you can start getting paid.  Both amounts are pretty large.

I am not sure why people think YouTube is a goldmine, unless you have 10s of thousands of subscribers and a huge amount of views, you will be lucky to make $100.00 a month.  Many people make nothing.

2 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

I doubt if he has enough subscribers or views to get paid anything. YouTube changed the rules a while back, you need X amount of subscribers and X amount of total views on your channel before you can start getting paid.  Both amounts are pretty large.

I am not sure why people think YouTube is a goldmine, unless you have 10s of thousands of subscribers and a huge amount of views, you will be lucky to make $100.00 a month.  Many people make nothing.

For the same reason kids dream of becoming highly-paid professional athletes. The numbers argue strongly against that path but...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

You are probably correct...    Way to crush poor Dnomyar's goals.

And here I was saving popsicle sticks for him.

3 minutes ago, Windward said:

Keep saving them, they might be the most useful material he could have in that train wreck of a project.

I reckon that when he comes to the fitout stage, the whole project dies a quiet death.

Building the hull is the easy bit, if you have some decent plans (owner-drawn or professional) to follow. So far he's screwing the pooch big-time on the part that *should* be very straightforward.

Fitout with all the systems needed and the use of limited space - that's a right bitch.

FKT

• Like 1

All he needs to fit it out is a few sheets of MDF and more deck screws.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Windward said:

Damn. You guys know how to destroy a mans dreams.

Back to the drawing board.

Fantastic stuff.

What was that film where the prisoners of war made a glider from bed sheets and porridge ?

1 hour ago, Panope said:

Did someone say "popsicle airplane"?

2bYTOeY.jpg

RPHaMzo.jpg

kSoUdX8.jpg

A Rush fan? That sounds about right.

3 hours ago, Panope said:

Did someone say "popsicle airplane"?

2bYTOeY.jpg

RPHaMzo.jpg

kSoUdX8.jpg

Can you say Barnes Wallis?

On the plus, he’s abandoned bolting aluminum brackets to steel ribs.   Since the mast will be “quite heavy” he will move the position forward as needed to balance the aft hung keel.   

4 hours ago, Lark said:

On the plus, he’s abandoned bolting aluminum brackets to steel ribs.   Since the mast will be “quite heavy” he will move the position forward as needed to balance the aft hung keel.   

It gets worse with every upload. 

Something very Brent Swain about the standard of line drawing. 

• Like 1

This guy makes BS look like a master craftsman.

At least BS boats, float and sail and some of them go places.

This guys boat shaped object is the single biggest clusterfuck of any sort that I can recall ever seeing.

It's odd - he doesn't look or sound like the type of loony tune he must be to be doing anything this bizarre.

10 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

This guy makes BS look like a master craftsman.

At least BS boats, float and sail and some of them go places.

This guys boat shaped object is the single biggest clusterfuck of any sort that I can recall ever seeing.

It's odd - he doesn't look or sound like the type of loony tune he must be to be doing anything this bizarre.

This. I don't bother watching any more. There are only 2 possible videos of this that I want to see - one when it's launched, turns turtle and sinks, or one when reality finally dawns and the monstrosity gets cut up & hauled off to the scrap yard.

FKT

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

This. I don't bother watching any more. There are only 2 possible videos of this that I want to see - one when it's launched, turns turtle and sinks, or one when reality finally dawns and the monstrosity gets cut up & hauled off to the scrap yard.

FKT

Probably both, and in that order. 

Apparently he studied at the feet of Hot Rod.

Got those vertical chines down pretty well.

He at least has the excuse of being a kid.

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Apparently he studied at the feet of Hot Rod.

Got those vertical chines down pretty well.

He at least has the excuse of being a kid.

I think he took the concept of "stagger your joints" in the wrong way.

It looks like a bit of performance art to me - rather wonderful. 

10 hours ago, mad said:

Something very Brent Swain about the standard of line drawing. 

you mean this - just wow

image.thumb.png.04b27622fa06b15178548d1ed62a1252.png

On 4/24/2018 at 5:37 PM, RKoch said:

With duct tape safety gloves.

Actually, this is good. It keeps him occupied and entertained and out of other mischief out in public.

FB- Doug

According to his description, he is making the whole wooden interior removable, for "ease" of transportation.

You couldn't make it up.

Here’s an idea

DC6632B1-851E-4384-911A-E6141753E2DB.jpeg

• Like 1

Nah. Hes got a steel frame in it, to hold it all together.

It will take him to the bottom when the thing tips over.